Tipping is this fair ?

Maelstrom Troll

I am usually very happy to tip 18% IF the service is up to my standard, but I'm not about to throw money at someone who does a crummy job. I wouldn't do this myself but my uncle used to go to a resteraunt with a tall stack of quarters. Every time the server are a mistake, he would take some off the top. Seems like a sure fire way to get your food messed with...

s8film40

I am usually very happy to tip 18% IF the service is up to my standard, but I'm not about to throw money at someone who does a crummy job. I wouldn't do this myself but my uncle used to go to a resteraunt with a tall stack of quarters. Every time the server are a mistake, he would take some off the top. Seems like a sure fire way to get your food messed with...
Yeah, I've always thought if I were a server this wouldn't bother me that much. It's at least upfront and honest and you know what your going to get. It is generally considered very demeaning though.

Personally I think the custom should change to tipping upfront. This way the server knows what kind of service the customer expects up front. Those who tip well would get better service and those who don't tip as well wouldn't have to feel bad about leaving small tips for a server who bent over backwards to work for a good tip.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have a few questions for our UK/European friends. Do you find the wait service at your restaurants to be consistent from server to server? Or is there a marked difference in servers there, just like here? Do you ever get lousy service? If so, what can you do? Will the restaurant knock off a bit from the bill for you, or are you just stuck? Just curious as to how it works when you don't have to tip them.

NonnaT

If you can't afford the tip, don't order the wine.... Same with the steak... Go to McDonald's where no tipping is expected. Done!

NonnaT

Man, i cant accept that you cant buy a $40 Filet unless you have $48 in your pocket. Isnt that unfair on someone like me who is on minimum wage myself?
Then don't go to someplace unless you have $48 in your pocket. Get a steak at the supermarket and cook it yourownself! Then no one has to set your table, pour your water/wine, take away your dirty plates and wash them. If you're not willing to pay for service via your tip, eat at home!

Stevie Amsterdam

I have a few questions for our UK/European friends. Do you find the wait service at your restaurants to be consistent from server to server? Or is there a marked difference in servers there, just like here? Do you ever get lousy service? If so, what can you do? Will the restaurant knock off a bit from the bill for you, or are you just stuck? Just curious as to how it works when you don't have to tip them.
In Europe, especially western Europe, customer service standards are not as high as on the other side of the ocean - which is the reason why I love bringing my money to you guys! If an American shop or restaurant doesn't provide proper service and / or products, customers simply will not return. This isn't the case in Europe, or, keeping it a bit more local, The Netherlands. Since our markets are not as evolved as yours, not returning to a restaurant because you had lousy service really doesn't do much damage. My friends and I have had several experiences where we were treated in a very bad manner by a waiter and he got away with it, simply because the restaurant was one of the 'hottest places in town' at that particular moment. Writing a bad review on tripadvisor won't help, and speaking to the manager often makes YOU look like the rude person, since you're disrupting other guests' experience. This isn't always the case of course and it certainly isn't the standard, but my American friends who visit are shocked to learn how much difference there can be (as opposed to is) in terms of expectations of customer service.

There is a side story that I would like to share with you, which comes to mind but doesn't really answer your question:

A few years ago Amsterdam got it's first Abercrombie & Fitch store. They opened in a very cold winter month when it was snowing. I decided to have a look and when I tried to enter the store, I was stopped by a door man who, in English with a very strong accent, said 'you have to wait in line!'.

I asked him if he could speak Dutch, since we were in Amsterdam and he replied in Dutch that, again, I had to wait in line and he pointed to the queue. When I looked at the line I saw at least 30 people so I asked the first girls in line how long they were waiting. 'Only for about 20 minutes, it goes really fast'. Know that it was snowing outside and -5 celsius! I just stood there for a moment taking it all in when suddenly the front door opened to let people out. I quickly scanned the inside and noticed there were hardly any people there; the line was there with the only purpose of making the shop trendy / new / special / you get my drift. I walked away and thought to myself, this obviously would work in California where the sun always shines but how could they do this here?!

Fast forward a few years untill a few months ago... I was walking down the street where the shop is and noticed there was no line in front of the door. The door was actually open and there was no doorman. In fact, the black shaded windows were replaced by somewhat more transparant windows so people could actually have a look inside the building. But most imporatntly, there were no customers. Ultimately, people did not very much like to be treated that way, I guess.

The point I'm trying to make is that something that works over here doesn't necessarily works on the other side of the ocean and vice versa. Which brings me back on topic. If I experience lousy service in the US, I still tip 15% (under protest). If I experience poor service in my home country, I don't tip and don't feel bad about it. In fact, I'm a little bit p*ssed of that the waiter will have the last laugh as base salaries over here are very good and workers are extremely well protected by law.

A restaurant will rarely (as in almost never) knock of something of the bill, because it is not considered to be related to the service you have received, whether that was bad or good. Appreciation for the waiter's service is shown by tipping, therefore it is understandable that a customer doesn't tip, but you have to pay for what you ordered. A restaurant could however decide to give you a round of free drinks, but this proofs my point; you didn't order those and they were not on the original bill.

Last edited:

Rutt

We always tip at least 18% and will go as high as 25% for great service. We were well educated begore our first visit how it works.
That being said, weve given less than 18% only once and that was at Tutto Italia. Our server was not very nice or attentive. We only tipped 15%. However there was a second server who actually came by, filled our drinks, even brought us an anniversary cake free of charge. We slipped him an extra 40 on the way out.

HolleBolleGijs

In Europe, especially western Europe, customer service standards are not as high as on the other side of the ocean - which is the reason why I love bringing my money to you guys!

When I was working at DLP a British guest was complaining to me (American), about French customer service, so I'm quite curious about how the different European countries rank among themselves. He told me a story that happened when he was working at a grocery store in England (not a restaurant obvsiously), and it was comparable to what might happen in the US.

I went out of my way to check the time for Dreams one evening for a French guest, and she was astonished that I even bothered to put in the effort.

I've honestly never had a markedly bad experience at a restaurant in France. Granted I wasn't a repeat visitor to many restaurants. I've actually enjoyed my experiences at French restaurants more than in the US, because the servers don't bother you as much. They aren't coming back every few minutes to make sure everything is okay, which for some reason irks me at American restaurants.

righttrack

So what.. the concept of tipping out the other staff was there when the standard was 15% as well. That's not new, and not a reason to increase the %.

Yes, and 15% is acceptable. It's just a word to those who seek to punish a server with a bad tip, for example, or those who tip less.

Unomas

When you go to another country, it always helps to do a bit of research on local customs. It will save a lot of grief. That being said, your arguments make sense to me. But that's not the way it is here.

lighteningqueen

My thoughts!!!! They have to put up with more than serving. Whiney customers unruley kids spilt drinks on and on and I woudnt do it for the world. You are in the USA during your vaca time you need to pay what we are accustomed to meaning anywhere in the US ad that is MIN 18-20% If we go to your country we do what is expected of us there not short them because we dont do that where we live..MY 20 cents worth LOL

HolleBolleGijs

My thoughts!!!! They have to put up with more than serving. Whiney customers unruley kids spilt drinks on and on and I woudnt do it for the world. You are in the USA during your vaca time you need to pay what we are accustomed to meaning anywhere in the US ad that is MIN 18-20% If we go to your country we do what is expected of us there not short them because we dont do that where we live..MY 20 cents worth LOL

Servers certainly aren't the only ones who have to deal with whiny customers and spilled drinks. I've dealt with that as a QS employee, where tipping isn't a thing.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Tipping is usually personal in nature. I think everyone has their own guidelines and as long as it is not offensive, there should really not be a lot of effort put into it. Because Disney has so many varied options there are many different scenarios. But as a rule I think 20-25% just because it is expected is a ridiculous practice.

As an example: Biergarten. If I spend $150 dollars, I don't think $30-35 to the person serving me soda is warranted. If I'm at LeCellier and spend $200 and get the type of service that is expected then there is no problem leaving $40. The bigger issue (if you want to call it that), is there are a lot of individuals in the service industry who feel that 20% is their entitlement. They overlook the fact whether or not their service warranted that.

As a rule of thumb I usually start with 15% in mind when I sit down at the table. From there, it is up to the server whether they make 20% or 10%. Those are my three options. If they do their job (meaning get the order right, and check up every once in a while), they get 20%. Unless there was something so remarkable to warrant extra attention I will never tip more than 20%. If I'm at 10%, then there should be no surprise on why the tip was at that level.

BuddyThomas

Tipping is usually personal in nature. I think everyone has their own guidelines and as long as it is not offensive, there should really not be a lot of effort put into it. Because Disney has so many varied options there are many different scenarios. But as a rule I think 20-25% just because it is expected is a ridiculous practice.

As an example: Biergarten. If I spend $150 dollars, I don't think $30-35 to the person serving me soda is warranted. If I'm at LeCellier and spend $200 and get the type of service that is expected then there is no problem leaving $40. The bigger issue (if you want to call it that), is there are a lot of individuals in the service industry who feel that 20% is their entitlement. They overlook the fact whether or not their service warranted that.

As a rule of thumb I usually start with 15% in mind when I sit down at the table. From there, it is up to the server whether they make 20% or 10%. Those are my three options. If they do their job (meaning get the order right, and check up every once in a while), they get 20%. Unless there was something so remarkable to warrant extra attention I will never tip more than 20%. If I'm at 10%, then there should be no surprise on why the tip was at that level.
Tell us some example of when you left 10%, and why. Thanks.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Server comes out takes order. Food Runner brings food. Server never comes back to check if all is okay. It is not. I don't have silverware. Hunt down busboy to bring me silverware. Okay, good for a bit. 10 minutes later daughter is out of fruit punch. Wait for server thinking she will come back around to check up. She doesn't. See server talking to fellow server. Might have been work related but the way they were carrying on...doubt it. Hunt down other server to refill fruit punch. Apparently says something to my original server....original server brings fruit punch...doesn't say a word. Server disappears for 10 minutes. Comes back and asks "Will there be anything else?"

Left 10%. Should have been less. Saw server 3 times. To take order, refill a drink after she was prompted by a co-worker, and bring the check.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
When a server circles "tip is not included" on the bill. That is strike 3 for me and I will not put up with that entitlement mentality when paying for an over-priced meal.
Entitlement, or simply trying to help people avoid any confusion. But I understand how someone like you would be confused....

s8film40

My personal rule for tipping under 15% is only if the service somehow negatively affects me beyond the scope of just the meal itself or an extreme situation. The only two times I've ever done this were time related.

I went to BWW at crossroads when it first opened. We waited about an hour and a half for our food. When the food arrived they had brought the wrong item for one person in our group, the waiter took the food back and said he would bring the right item. The waiter returned an hour later with the food (I'm not exaggerating these times, by this point we had been there almost 3 hours). We were obviously not happy to have spent that much time waiting for food but at this point I had just chalked it up to a slow kitchen due to it being a new restaurant. However when the server arrived with the final item he said we needed to eat quickly because it was last call. We were not happy but willing to forgive the time it took to get the food but to ask someone to shovel a meal down because it took two and half hours to get it is beyond acceptable.

My other example, I went to the Enzian theater in Orlando. It's a theater with dining kind of like what AMC does now. We ordered our food it arrived everything was fine. Our server never came back. I would have liked a drink refill and it was a little annoying because we could see the servers all standing around to the side just talking and laughing amongst themselves. Being that this was theater dining I would have otherwise just given this a pass. After the movie finished it seemed as though it took the servers kind of by surprise (I guess they were too caught up in their conversation). One of the servers came out and announced to the theater that they still had to give us all our check and to wait in the theater. The servers then all lined up at the computer and began putting in orders (or retrieving them?) and printing the checks. About 15 minutes after the movie ended we had our checks and they finished processing them after about another 15 minutes. So we sat in a movie theater for 30 minutes with nothing to do but wait after having just spent 2 hours watching a movie.

DisneyJunkie

When a server circles "tip is not included" on the bill. That is strike 3 for me and I will not put up with that entitlement mentality when paying for an over-priced meal.

That I wouldn't mind, simply because as others have mentioned, when on the DDP.....some people overlook or miss the fact that tips aren't included in their meal. For me, tipping in and of itself is optional - MY option - based on whether or not the service I received was worthy of one and then what level of tip-worthy service. I have no problem giving 18-20% or 0% if the service is that bad (which I've only seen in very rare occasions). It's not the wait staff's fault if the kitchen is behind on the food orders, but it is their fault if you're waiting 30 (or more) minutes just to get your drink, then have to remind them several times that you're waiting, and then they bring the wrong drinks. It is their fault if they cop an attitude with you rather than try and be as reassuring and accommodating as can be to keep you happy. It's also their fault if they aren't at all personable with you, but rather quickly barking through "what do you want to drink", "what do you want to eat", "is there anything else", and then leave the bill and walk off making you wait longer to pay and get out of there. There's a lot that can be put directly on the wait staff that - by their own actions - determines if they get a tip and how much it might be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom