Primeval Whirl closing for a 3 month refurbishment later in August

MaxW

god this ride is miserable. I have hated this land from the time i was little. Dinosaur is great, but really is tarnished being associated with this ride/dinorama. Bring back the concepts for a excavator ride please

MaxW

Has "Dinosaur!" ever had a single refurbishment?
i'd imagine so, atleast when they changed the ride from Countdown to Extinction to Dinosaur! while on that topic, i wish they'd revert the ride back as the tie in brings in a whopping 0 guest per hour. i was a part of that movies target audience and i still don't care for it. at this point most average guest haven't seen the movie...so why keep it?

Matt_Black

i'd imagine so, atleast when they changed the ride from Countdown to Extinction to Dinosaur! while on that topic, i wish they'd revert the ride back as the tie in brings in a whopping 0 guest per hour. i was a part of that movies target audience and i still don't care for it. at this point most average guest haven't seen the movie...so why keep it?

They showed it on Discovery Family or whatever the heck they changed The Hub to a few months ago.

Absimilliard

The reason I was told why Reverchon, a small, soon to be bankrupt at the time french roller coaster manufacturer was selected was the look of the cars. WDI wanted a specific look for the cars and only Reverchon at the time offered something close enough to their vision. Then, they had to spend a TON of money rebuilding a just installed ride because the original hardware would have never survived a Disney operating schedule!

On the other hand, they went with a competitor for Crush Coaster and WDI made a really bad design choice: having a tire driven controlled dark ride segment was too "noisy", so they had Maurer design a gravity driven dark ride. Then, Disney runs so many cars that any heavier than the others car would cause the ride to set-up and e-stop.

When Reverchon went bankrupt originally, they had just signed an agreement with Zamperla to design/market spinning coasters together. Two spinning coasters were delivered in 2004 to Six Flags Great America (near Chicago, IL) and Del Grosso's amusement park in Tipton, PA. But, the Reverchon cars (like Primeval Whirl) were deemed too heavy for the Zamperla hardware and Six Flags limited each car to only 3 adults. They also kept minimal cars on the circuit at the same time. In 2013, the ride was shipped to their Six Flags America (Largo, MD) property under the same name. The ride there works out a lot better, since the capacity is better scaled to the park.

Rockstar at Funspot is a Zamperla spinning coaster that use the Zamperla designed cars. I don't like those as much as the Reverchon ones.

Did anyone ever visit Kennywood? They bought a spinning coaster in 1999 from Reverchon and enclosed it. They added dark ride effects to it and call it the Exterminator.

raymusiccity

The reason I was told why Reverchon, a small, soon to be bankrupt at the time french roller coaster manufacturer was selected was the look of the cars. WDI wanted a specific look for the cars and only Reverchon at the time offered something close enough to their vision. Then, they had to spend a TON of money rebuilding a just installed ride because the original hardware would have never survived a Disney operating schedule!

On the other hand, they went with a competitor for Crush Coaster and WDI made a really bad design choice: having a tire driven controlled dark ride segment was too "noisy", so they had Maurer design a gravity driven dark ride. Then, Disney runs so many cars that any heavier than the others car would cause the ride to set-up and e-stop.

When Reverchon went bankrupt originally, they had just signed an agreement with Zamperla to design/market spinning coasters together. Two spinning coasters were delivered in 2004 to Six Flags Great America (near Chicago, IL) and Del Grosso's amusement park in Tipton, PA. But, the Reverchon cars (like Primeval Whirl) were deemed too heavy for the Zamperla hardware and Six Flags limited each car to only 3 adults. They also kept minimal cars on the circuit at the same time. In 2013, the ride was shipped to their Six Flags America (Largo, MD) property under the same name. The ride there works out a lot better, since the capacity is better scaled to the park.

Rockstar at Funspot is a Zamperla spinning coaster that use the Zamperla designed cars. I don't like those as much as the Reverchon ones.

Did anyone ever visit Kennywood? They bought a spinning coaster in 1999 from Reverchon and enclosed it. They added dark ride effects to it and call it the Exterminator.

Seems like the original 'excavator' concept wouldn't have broken the bank. With operating income at an all time high, let's just dust off those plans and get this beauty built!

image.jpg

Absimilliard

They spent barely 2-3 million dollars for both Primeval Whirl tracks. Meanwhile, a larger coaster like Excavator would have run into the 10 millions and over (depending on the number of trains) grounds before WDI take their cut and a fortune is spent on theming.

JeffBostock

You are missing exactly nothing.

Your trip to Dinoland will be less noisy, now. Hell, you can hear this obnoxious ride from the bridge from the Oasis to Discovery Island...nothing removes me from the beauty of the Oasis and the majesty of the Tree of Life faster than this loud, obnoxious state fair ride.

I hate the wild mouse at California Adventure, too. Unfortunate that they took out crap like MaliBOOMer and Golden Whoopi but kept that.

Yes, you can hear the awful noise from this ride from over in Asia as well near EE. It totally ruins the atmosphere of Asia being able to hear it. Hopefully during this refurb they do something about the volume of these sound effects.

jt04

Yes, you can hear the awful noise from this ride from over in Asia as well near EE. It totally ruins the atmosphere of Asia being able to hear it. Hopefully during this refurb they do something about the volume of these sound effects.

Selling it to Fun Spot would do just that. Win win.

Donald Razorduck

Put me down on the list of folks who thought it was closing down for a 3 month demolition and was happy about it! That ride, that whole Dinoland area really, is awful. On Primeval Whirl in particular, I've been on carnival deathtraps that were much more fun, looked better, and did a much better job of fitting in with the overall park theme.

I avoid that area whenever I'm in AK. It fits in with the "animal/nature" theme as much as a loudly screaming bright colored horn honking clown fits in on a nature yoga spa retreat.

"Dinoland" is quite frankly an embarrassment for a Disney park in general, for Animal Kingdom even more so. I'm willing to bet Imagineers dream of being able to get rid of it.

See...Here's the deal. I agree with you but on our trip the kids loved it. It like Toy Story Playland, where we bash bash carnival rides that's been themed up, but they aren't for us adults. If We had a TSPL in Florida on my last trip, the kids would have loved it too. Very few parksin the US take the time to add an area with multiple attractions(rides, concessions, games) and tie it all together under a single story theme. The most recent attempt was Fireman's Landing at Silver Dollar City.

So, when we moan about how we hate this it's akin to us griping about how the folks next door doesn't mow or edge often enough while the kids think that house is cooler than any other house on the block cause it has a magnolia tree with all those nasty seed pods cause in there eyes are perfect grenades and the tree is so climbable.

TheScreed

So fun and so painful at the same time. When ever my family rides Primeval Whirl someone always has a look of pain on their face and the rest of us are laughing so hard. I'm a little surprised by the hate.

You are surprised that some people hate pain, and especially hate paying big money and spending their finite lifespan standing in a line to experience pain? Your family laughs when one of you is in pain? If that works for you, fine, but it should hardly be surprising that the families who do not need to worry about removing their ball gags at the dinner table would feel differently.

Donald Razorduck

Seems like the original 'excavator' concept wouldn't have broken the bank. With operating income at an all time high, let's just dust off those plans and get this beauty built!

View attachment 104413
It that a wooden coaster? I would be estate if RMC and their smooth I box track system and Disney had a child together. In fact, an Indy based coaster with inversions like they do would be epic.

The Empress Lilly

I agree it looks horrible when compared to the rest ... but according to Joe Rhode's Instagram Page he is really pleased with the Asphalt. ;)
View attachment 104343
This shows why Rohde is the most overrated imagineer of all time.

An average set decorator at best, who somehow managed a career based on people thinking that somebody wearing eargear that exorbitant while keeping a straight face about it is probably a creative genius.

At least Van Gogh had the decency to actually cut his earlobe off to pull the same stunt....

Bairstow

This shows why Rohde is the most overrated imagineer of all time.

An average set decorator at best, who somehow managed a career based on people thinking that somebody wearing eargear that exorbitant while keeping a straight face about it is probably a creative genius.

At least Van Gogh had the decency to actually cut his earlobe off to pull the same stunt....

You have to admit, though, Rohde has his moments.

a5be47bd9793e667e6fb8ef87d2a3dbf.jpg

It that a wooden coaster? I would be estate if RMC and their smooth I box track system and Disney had a child together. In fact, an Indy based coaster with inversions like they do would be epic.

I don't think the ride hardware for Excavator was ever actually specified.
If I had to speculate, I would imagine that Disney was considering a steel coaster that looks like a wooden coaster, like California Screamin', which would have been in development around the same time.

Zipadeelady

You are surprised that some people hate pain, and especially hate paying big money and spending their finite lifespan standing in a line to experience pain? Your family laughs when one of you is in pain? If that works for you, fine, but it should hardly be surprising that the families who do not need to worry about removing their ball gags at the dinner table would feel differently.
Wow! Take it easy. Who are you and where did you come from? :rolleyes: Don't ride it If you don't like it. We'll be the ones in line as you pass by laughing and having a good time. Geez, lighten up. Oh and I don't know what ball gags are.o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom