Underrated/Overrated Sit Downs

I would say OR is Teppan Edo.....better food and service at multiple habachi places in our area at home
UR is the supercalifragilistic breakfast at GF. I'm not a huge buffet fan (Chef Mickey's is terrible) but we booked it just for my daughter to meet Mary Poppins and we were so surprised! She loved the strawberry soup, all the food was hot and fresh, made to order omlets, and even though it is a buffet...the CM comes by often to check on you and see if you need drink refills. It's a must do every time for us now!

NonnaT

I would say OR is Teppan Edo.....better food and service at multiple habachi places in our area at home
UR is the supercalifragilistic breakfast at GF. I'm not a huge buffet fan (Chef Mickey's is terrible) but we booked it just for my daughter to meet Mary Poppins and we were so surprised! She loved the strawberry soup, all the food was hot and fresh, made to order omlets, and even though it is a buffet...the CM comes by often to check on you and see if you need drink refills. It's a must do every time for us now!
We had a marvelous experience there as well, and thought the fresh veggies and fruits from WDW gardens were sublime. Way above normal buffet fare! And DH LOVED Mad Hatter, tbought he was a hoot!

Plowboy

In my humble opinion:

Overrated: Le Cellier, Cinderella's Royal Table, Tony's

Underrated: Biergarten, Sanaa, Boma, Olivia's

P.S. Looking forward to trying Brown Derby and Boatwright's for the first time this October.

Jamie2016

Ohanas, horrible food its either raw or overcooked and the wait staff is inattentive for sure. Mama Mels is NOT Good nor is Tonys or Boma.CRT
Underrated is H & V lunch,
I'm sorry to hear this about Ohana..we have reservations thre for next Thursday. I hope it i9s OK. we did have some food catered by Ohana when we did a recent fireworks cruise that was really good, so maybe we'll be lucky.

Is BOG the only restaurant that has FP+? How does that work with a restaurant? I love BOG and always try to get a seat in the West Wing ..love the dark creepiness...lol. I'd love to be able to hire out the entire restaurant for my wedding!

Jamie2016

I've read many people here describe Coral Reef as having the same quality of food as Applebee's...If true. it is overrated... And down right terrible...

I've been to Brown Deby a hand full of times.... Blah at best... Not bad for a lunch to get away from the heat for lunch....
I don't find Coral Reef to be impressive. My fiance loves it, but it reminds me of a Red Lobster..and not a very good one.

zaphodius

Enjoyed Breakfast at Boma... a good start to each day, really friendly staff
Jinko... was a bit stuffy, but we had a great waiter that treated me and my wife really great. food was OK deserts were great
The Luau was entertaining, but the food was cold and uninspiring... kids loved the show
underrated is the Liberty Tree Tavern excellent food and atmosphere. would recommend highly especially for those on Thaknsgiving.

jensenrick

Over: Le Cellier, O'Hana (dinner), Kona

Under: GF Cafe, Sanaa, Narcoossee's, La Hacienda de San Angel

Can I ask about your experience with La Hacienda? What did you get and why do you say it was underrated?

I'm very interested in trying La Hacienda, as I've never been. The menu is big enough for me to fish for recommendations from those who have been before.

coachwnh

Can I ask about your experience with La Hacienda? What did you get and why do you say it was underrated?

I'm very interested in trying La Hacienda, as I've never been. The menu is big enough for me to fish for recommendations from those who have been before.
We have been there several times and have never had a bad experience. The wait staff can be slow at times, but the food never disappoints. My wife and I usually split the la hacienda dinner. It has a little of everything on it, sides included. The taco appetizers are good as is the queso (not your usual mex. chain cheese dip). Ill look for pictures.

coachwnh

Here is the La Hacienda dinner. It serves two. Its plenty for more than two. Sorry no sides here, but you will get corn and bblack beans (and plenty of it).

IMG_0309.JPG

I think the place is underrated because so few talk about it and the food is consistently good. I dont think its as popular as San Angel Inn (which is inside Mexico) other than those that try to get an ADR around Illuminations (which we never did since we would rather watch from outside).

Enjoy!

HollyAD

I think Kona is def. underrated. It was probably our best dinner on our last trip. They even prepared a wonderful tasting dinner for my mom with lots of food allergies. I am also a fan of Cape May Cafe for character breakfast. It was way better quality than Chef Mickeys. I'm pretty sure Chef Mickey's would have to be free for me to subject myself to that food again unless something changes. Too much money for poor quality.

Tony the Tigger

BOG is overrated. I had a FP+ for lunch and the line was humongous, I come to find out that the only way to get in at lunch is FP+ and everyone waiting has one. What's the point of FP+ then?

Once we got inside, I was surprised, that I had to order at a self help kiosk, trying to figure out what my kids and wife wants via a kiosk was not all that enjoyable.

We then had to wonder the various dining rooms that seemed to be jammed packed for a table, after about 10 minutes looking we finally found it and then shortly after that our meals came. The food was decent, but the whole experience was lacking.

I asked if my kids wanted to eat there for our next trip and they emphatically said NO.

Just sayin' - totally different experience for dinner. Loved it. Basically a nice French sit-down restaurant. (And the only option for alcohol in MK for whatever that's worth to ya!)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
In my humble opinion:

Overrated: Le Cellier, Cinderella's Royal Table, Tony's

Underrated: Biergarten, Sanaa, Boma, Olivia's

P.S. Looking forward to trying Brown Derby and Boatwright's for the first time this October.

CRT ? When was the last time you ate there and for which meals ? Last fall they switched the lunch and dinner menus to seasonal fare and its quite tasty. No more #10 cans of green beans :)

Tony the Tigger

I wasn't sure whether to call it underrated or not, but since no one mentioned it in five pages - The freaking Flying Fish Café is amazing. So I will call that underrated! Their signature potato-wrapped fish is probably one of my most favorite dinners I've ever had at Disney.

But so much of this depends on whether you are beef people, fish people, veg people, etc. IMO it's more difficult to properly cook fish and more difficult to mess up beef. And if you go to a steakhouse and order the "token" fish dish, you are more likely to dislike it vs. if you went to a more seafood-oriented restaurant. Likewise, the token steak at an Italian restaurant, for example.

Overrated - so far everything Italian has been overrated to me - but I am an Italian guy from Jersey (originally) so nobody can compete with my Grandma!!

Jybbers

I just got back from Disney and tried to do some more dining outside of quick service than normal. I found most of them to be overrated...

Sci Fi - Had cool theming but the food was overpriced(had a reuben) which was the tiniest Rueben I have ever seen. They also made a mistake with our order and we had to wait an hour and a half for our food. The waitress only bothered to tell us when she saw us get up to find a manager. She said she came over just because she saw us get up. They offered us one fastpass for the inconvenience which was not really acceptable. The 4 other people in my party ate less than half of their food because they didn't like what they ordered.

Crystal Palace - Always wanted to eat here since I was a kid, finally had the chance. Food was not that great, 1900 Park Fare is way better. Nice atmosphere, characters was clustered as half of them would come by as we were getting food and they skipped over us. We were told we had to wait until they come back around to see them which took up time.

Akershus - Had dinner here and it was the worst meal. Maybe it was just what I ordered which was the cod. I took two bites out of it and hated the sauce it was in. Waitress was new and didn't even bother to ask me what was wrong with the meal when she took my plate and saw it was barely touched. I don't typically complain but I do expect the server to be able to take notice and be proactive. The appetizer buffet was interesting. The character part was rushed, they all came right when we sat down and we were told to wait to go to the buffet for the characters. This was a little annoying considering how hungry we were at the time. When we went to check in it was raining outside and this one rude CM went up to the host and told him that she didn't care she wanted everybody to wait outside in a rude tone. I thought this was unacceptable to let guests here this and she could have been more subtle. The two other people I was with had the pork chop, which was huge and they ate every last bite.

Citricos - Overpriced but I did enjoy my meal. Had the lamb two way and the lamb belly was very flavorful. For dessert I had the tropical fruit crème brulee which was good. Person I was with had the filet which they said was good but nothing special.

BoG - I thought this was the best meal, had the braised pork. Went for lunch and they found us quickly and brought out our food quickly. The restaurant is beautiful and I can see why it is so popular. I did feel bad for the family that chose to sit at the table right in front of the rose. We ate in the music box room as the other two rooms were filled completely. The only issue was the experience from checking in and ordering food as this was clustered and hopefully over time they can work this out to be more efficient. Not the best idea to have people order themselves from touch screens, a lot of people did not know what they were doing which prolonged the process.

Boma - I see a lot of people say this is overrated but I enjoyed it. I am a breakfast person and an even more of a breakfast buffet person. The juice they served was good and tasted better the more I drank. It was mostly typical breakfast items, some different things to try that most people wouldn't like. Server was friendly and wanted my opinion on the curry sausage gravy and biscuit dish they are trying out. It was not good, the curry did not pair well with the dish, and the server said that was the main feedback. It's probably worth it if you are staying at AKL but probably not worth travelling there from the Poly like we did.

Rinx

Overrated: Via Napoli and San Angel Inn.
Don't get me wrong, I love both and have ADR's in September again. I really enjoy the pizza at Via Napoli but it's overrated because the price tag for pizza just isn't right. But it's a once a year thing for me so I go anyway. You cannot beat the atmosphere at San Angel Inn but food wise it's just good. It's just really fun to eat there.

Underrated: Olivia's (breakfast)
Went once for breakfast and was a little impressed, I liked it. Be careful, the banana rum French toast may make your head spin a little ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom