The Dolphin!

HolleBolleGijs

So, once you deal with actual facts, it appears that the DDP and manner of transportation to and from the airport are what makes it feel "Disney" to you. Like I said, that's certainly your prerogative.

What makes something "Disney" also has to do with theming of the resort. Basically all of the Disney-owned resorts were designed around a specific, obvious theme, with the exception of the Contemporary. Aside from being a really nice hotel, is there anything theming-wise that really makes S&D unique? Does it try to transport you to somewhere else? I've never stayed there, so I can't honestly answer those questions.

The theming that is inherently "Disney" is important to some people.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
From the S&D website:

So MagicBands are available at the S&D in the same sense that they're available at off-site hotels.

However, you are correct in saying that early FP+, package delivery, and EMH are available to S&D guests.
You are correct. At the SD, you have to pay twelve bucks for a Magic Band. But in my opinion that's hardly a big deal considering how much money you are already saving on the room.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
http://www.swandolphin.com/leisureinfo/benefits.html

2. Complimentary Fast Pass+ and My Magic+: The new Disney FastPass+ expands on the previous benefit of being able to reserve entry times at some of the most popular experiences in the Walt Disney World Theme Parks. Hotel guests can now enjoy the exclusive benefit of being able to reserve up to 60 days in advance of their trip...

6. Package Delivery: Guests of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin enjoy complimentary delivery of your shopping bags from within the Disney parks to your hotel. So you can enjoy the parks even more.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
What makes something "Disney" also has to do with theming of the resort. Basically all of the Disney-owned resorts were designed around a specific, obvious theme, with the exception of the Contemporary. Aside from being a really nice hotel, is there anything theming-wise that really makes S&D unique? Does it try to transport you to somewhere else? I've never stayed there, so I can't honestly answer those questions.

The theming that is inherently "Disney" is important to some people.
I've never understood the theming argument. I've stayed at the Poly, and not for one second did I think I was in Hawaii or a Polynesian island. I've stayed at the Beach Club and I never thought I was at a New England beach hotel. As you conceded, the Contemporary has no theming at all, unless of course Disney was striving to make guests feel like they were staying in a parking garage. As for AKL, it's an awesome place, but again I never felt like I had been transported to Africa. My point is, all these places are really, really nice, but I will go with the place that gives me a more luxurious feel with better restaurants and a cheaper price every time. Just my 2 cents though.

MickeyMomV

All I can say then is be careful about where you get your information. Because Magic Bands and 60 FP+ options are absolutely available to SD guests. And I was at the Dolphin a month ago and had things shipped to the hotel.
Shipped to the hotel from the parks or are you talking about outside stores for groceries?

Redhawk

Here is my problem with the S&D. It is not a Disney hotel! It may be really, really close to a Disney park but when its all said and done its not Disney. I don't see it as being any different from staying at a nice hotel out side of the "gates". I'm not saying the S&D may not be cheaper and I'm not saying it might not have a few nicer features than some of the Disney hotels but when I go to Disney I go to stay in the Disney bubble! The MDE, Magic Bands, EMH, early FP+ selection, DDP, package delivery to my room, and overall Disney experience are worth the little extra in my opinion.

Don't want to ride the Disney bus that makes lots of stops, don't want the dining plans, don't buy stuff so don't need package delivery, don't need to wear a Magic Band.

At the Dolphin we do get EMH, FP+ selections, great restaurants, great pools, a more adult environment with plenty of Disney themeing. Excellent location, quieter atmosphere, comfortable beds -- all for a great price.

But ultimately, it's whatever floats your boat. If everyone stayed at the Dolphin then we couldn't get rooms there, so enjoy your Disney Bubble!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have a question about the Swan and Dolphin and the FP+. We have annual passes and have a magic band, but we might be planning on staying at the Swan or Dolphin, so how do we link that room reservation to my disney experience to make FP+ reservations? I hope my question made sense, we haven't stayed at the Swan or Dolphin before. Thanks!

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I have a question about the Swan and Dolphin and the FP+. We have annual passes and have a magic band, but we might be planning on staying at the Swan or Dolphin, so how do we link that room reservation to my disney experience to make FP+ reservations? I hope my question made sense, we haven't stayed at the Swan or Dolphin before. Thanks!
You link your SD room reservation exactly the same way you link your reservation at any Disney resort.

righttrack

OK, so my experiences.

We stayed at The Swan last year for an extended Star Wars weekend. Here are our findings:

• We did a Jetblue getaways, which combined air and hotel together. The rate was approx 20% less than a moderate.
  • We needed to find our own transportation to the hotel. We rented a car, but we could have taken a Mears Shuttle for a pretty low rate too.
  • We had a beautiful view of the boardwalk area and an easy walk to two parks or boat ride. The hotel did not have a cohesively elaborate theme. Nautical, but not everything popping out at you like at a WDW-run resort.
  • Park transportation worked great.
  • Fastpass+ and Magicbands worked great (we used our bands from our previous stay)
  • We could not take advantage of the Disney Dining Plan
  • ADRs, etc worked fine
We normally stay in Deluxe's. Overall I would do this again. The cost savings are significant considering the value received. I find most of our resort choices are based on transportation and location to where we want to be.

jlsHouston

I stayed there during the holidays one year. Beautiful tree in the lobby.

IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0588.jpg
I love the Dolphin tree...One year it had the train going around it...2012, then we stayed there in 2013 and they didn't have the train

TXDisney

We love the Dolphins location and price. Virtually the same location as the boardwalk inn and the bc/YC but significantly cheaper. But you lose a bit of the Disney Magic at the dolphin. If tight on money it's great but if money isn't an option I think some actual Disney resorts are worth it. For us if we aren't doing deluxe bc of money if rather stay at POR then the dolphin bc of the Disney magic

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I agree. I love the Swan and have stayed there the past 5 times.This time (in January) we are staying that the Wilderness Lodge for the first time (first time staying at a Disney hotel too!) so we wanted to change it up a bit. While we are looking forward to the WL also feel like I am missing out on a great deal at the Swan (the friends and family rate is currently $149/night plus fees) which is much cheaper than what we paid.

I highly recommend staying a the Swan. The Dolphin needs its refurb pretty bad but it will be great once finished.

jlsHouston

I agree. I love the Swan and have stayed there the past 5 times.This time (in January) we are staying that the Wilderness Lodge for the first time (first time staying at a Disney hotel too!) so we wanted to change it up a bit. While we are looking forward to the WL also feel like I am missing out on a great deal at the Swan (the friends and family rate is currently $149/night plus fees) which is much cheaper than what we paid.

I highly recommend staying a the Swan. The Dolphin needs its refurb pretty bad but it will be great once finished.

You will love Wilderness Lodge! The lobby is just amazing! I love Roaring Forks too even if its chaotic during meal time. Once I got a bottle of wine from the Territory Lounge and ordered the cheese fondue and sat in the lobby sipping and snacking and people watching...was a great me time.
We are headed out tomorrow morning and splitting a stay between AKL and SWAN. First time at SWAN, I usually do the Dolphin, but last spring stayed at Dolphin and it was pretty ratty.
My Westin rate at Swan is at 199 with kids eating free right now and it is over the Thanksgiving dates. I could not touch a Disney Deluxe for close to that even when you add back the parking and the resort fee, I am still paying 250/nite before room tax and cheapest I saw for Disney Deluxe was $ 377 before tax.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You will love Wilderness Lodge! The lobby is just amazing! I love Roaring Forks too even if its chaotic during meal time. Once I got a bottle of wine from the Territory Lounge and ordered the cheese fondue and sat in the lobby sipping and snacking and people watching...was a great me time.
We are headed out tomorrow morning and splitting a stay between AKL and SWAN. First time at SWAN, I usually do the Dolphin, but last spring stayed at Dolphin and it was pretty ratty.
My Westin rate at Swan is at 199 with kids eating free right now and it is over the Thanksgiving dates. I could not touch a Disney Deluxe for close to that even when you add back the parking and the resort fee, I am still paying 250/nite before room tax and cheapest I saw for Disney Deluxe was $ 377 before tax.

Great to hear, we are really looking forward to it.

But again, there is really good value at the Swan and Dolphin. Also, you can't really beat the location. To be able to be within walking distance of 2 parks, and stay at a moderate equivalent for (sometimes) under $200 a night is fantastic. This will always be our go to when we are not trying to splurge like we are in January.

BrianV

Great to hear, we are really looking forward to it.

But again, there is really good value at the Swan and Dolphin. Also, you can't really beat the location. To be able to be within walking distance of 2 parks, and stay at a moderate equivalent for (sometimes) under $200 a night is fantastic. This will always be our go to when we are not trying to splurge like we are in January.

I consider the swan and dolphin a deluxe equivalent for a moderate price. Any way you look at it, a good deal.

DisneyOutsider

Today I decided to book a last-minute trip to WDW for new years, staying 12/30 through 1/3.

Standard rate for my room was around $175, cheapest Disney room was $260/night at Coronado Springs:greedy:.

What I will actually end up paying is $25/night, which is the nightly resort fee, thanks to the Starwood Preferred Guest program, which is another huge plus for S&D over Disney properties.

Simply put, if you're a saver who wants to be in 'the bubble', S&D is a no brainer.

Tom P.

Do the Swan and Dolphin have connecting rooms available? Our family is too large to do a standard hotel room. And if they do, are they more willing to "guarantee" that you'll get connecting rooms than the Disney resorts are?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom