The Dolphin!

BrianV

They have a really nice pool. I don't know if that's as important to others.

Yes, a very nice one. My only real problem with the dolphin, aside from the cheerleader convention there at the same time, was that they were strict about only one towel per guest. They even had to look us up by our room before they gave us a towel. That aspect alone was un-Disney like. I took it in stride through. I should have told the management that this was odd, but I'm not really the complaining type.

CaptainAmerica

It's very nice but it's so booooring. I don't necessarily pick Disney resorts to stay at a "nice hotel." I pick Disney resorts to stay in an African village, a Polynesian longhouse, or a national park lodge. I dislike the Contemporary, Yacht Club, and Beach Club for the same reasons, so it's not a Disney-owned versus non-Disney-owned thing.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
It's very nice but it's so booooring. I don't necessarily pick Disney resorts to stay at a "nice hotel." I pick Disney resorts to stay in an African village, a Polynesian longhouse, or a national park lodge. I dislike the Contemporary, Yacht Club, and Beach Club for the same reasons, so it's not a Disney-owned versus non-Disney-owned thing.
I hear what you're saying and I totally respect your viewpoint. I look at it differently, though. For me, staying at a nice hotel is a HUGE part of my vacation. I prefer a more upscale feel, with great restaurants, pools and amenities. When I'm at the Dolphin, I feel like I'm at a top class resort, and I love that. When I am at the Boardwalk or Beach Club (which are undoubtedly great resorts in their own rights), I just don't feel the same level of luxury.

Sage of Time

I hear what you're saying and I totally respect your viewpoint. I look at it differently, though. For me, staying at a nice hotel is a HUGE part of my vacation. I prefer a more upscale feel, with great restaurants, pools and amenities. When I'm at the Dolphin, I feel like I'm at a top class resort, and I love that. When I am at the Boardwalk or Beach Club (which are undoubtedly great resorts in their own rights), I just don't feel the same level of luxury.
bingo. Disney's theming can sometimes overwhelm the classiness of the place. You never have that problem at Swolphin.

CaptainAmerica

bingo. Disney's theming can sometimes overwhelm the classiness of the place. You never have that problem at Swolphin.
Dolphin is GREAT! We love it...

However there seems to be a lot of people who can't sleep without themed bed sheets and mickeys stitched into the carpets! ;):eek::p
I think about it like this. When I do other vacations besides Disney, I can get my "classy" fix. Steakhouses and polished marble are fine and dandy, but they're everywhere. When I'm at WDW, uniqueness is much more of a priority.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I think about it like this. When I do other vacations besides Disney, I can get my "classy" fix. Steakhouses and polished marble are fine and dandy, but they're everywhere. When I'm at WDW, uniqueness is much more of a priority.
For me, the two are not mutually exclusive. I want classy AND Disney. And that's precisely what the Swan and Dolphin give you - for a fraction of the price. No brainier as far as I'm concerned.

CaptainAmerica

For me, the two are not mutually exclusive. I want classy AND Disney. And that's precisely what the Swan and Dolphin give you - for a fraction of the price. No brainier as far as I'm concerned.
"Fraction of the price" is such a stretch when you include rental car, resort fees, room discounts, etc. Sure, rack rates are much cheaper. But that's not an apples-to-apples comparison of actual cost.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
"Fraction of the price" is such a stretch when you include rental car, resort fees, room discounts, etc. Sure, rack rates are much cheaper. But that's not an apples-to-apples comparison of actual cost.
You assume that I am not including those costs, but I am. First off, I don't rent a car. I simply take a cab from the airport, which costs about $50 (and in so doing, I am taken directly to my resort without having to stop anywhere else). Secondly, even when the resort fee of the Dolphin is factored in, the room rate is still significantly lower than places like the YC/BC and Boardwalk. As for room discounts, I'm not sure what you mean there because the Dolphin offers great discounts (AAA, government employee, etc) that the other places don't always give. The bottom line is, even factoring in a cab ride to and from the airport and the daily resort fee, the actual total cost of the Dolphin is substantially cheaper that the other Epcot resorts, and that's a straight apples to apples comparison.

As I said when I started this thread, a suite at the Dolphin with a water view (with wall the fees and taxes included) was literally less that a standard room looking at the parking lot at the YC/BC.

CaptainAmerica

As I said when I started this thread, a suite at the Dolphin with a water view (with wall the fees and taxes included) was literally less that a standard room looking at the parking lot at the YC/BC.
I honestly think you're making things up. Either that or there was something very unique about the particular dates you were viewing. I picked a random week in January to compare (1/23 - 1/30). A room at the Dolphin with a comparable cancellation policy to what Disney offers you* is $392 per night, plus the $23 resort fee for a total after tax of $415. The same dates at Beach Club would be $458 per night. Disney will almost certainly have a 25% discount on deluxe rooms, bringing it down to $343 with free airport transportation. Did I mention that the Dolphin rooms in this scenario are 360 square feet with two full beds only, compared to 380 square feet with queen beds at BC? Nice try, though.

*Yes, you can get the Dolphin for slightly cheaper, but that includes an extremely restrictive cancellation policy, something you don't have to deal with at Disney.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I honestly think you're making things up. Either that or there was something very unique about the particular dates you were viewing. I picked a random week in January to compare (1/23 - 1/30). A room at the Dolphin with a comparable cancellation policy to what Disney offers you* is $392 per night, plus the $23 resort fee for a total after tax of $415. The same dates at Beach Club would be $458 per night. Disney will almost certainly have a 25% discount on deluxe rooms, bringing it down to $343 with free airport transportation. Did I mention that the Dolphin rooms in this scenario are 360 square feet with two full beds only, compared to 380 square feet with queen beds at BC? Nice try, though.

*Yes, you can get the Dolphin for slightly cheaper, but that includes an extremely restrictive cancellation policy, something you don't have to deal with at Disney.
You can call me a liar all you want, but I won't sink to your level in response. Anyway, I love how in your scenario you allow for a discount at the YC/BC but not at the Dolphin. As you like to say, nice try though.

Here's the facts, whether you care to believe them or not. I got a suite (840 square feet) for $503, inclusive off all fees. The cost for a standard room at the BC (380 square feet), WITHOUT INCLUDING TAXES, was $505. Now imagine the difference in cost had I booked a standard room at the Dolphin with no view?

You can feel however you want about the Dolphin, but to try to claim that the Dolphin doesn't result in significant savings does nothing but make you look foolish.

CaptainAmerica

You can feel however you want about the Dolphin, but to try to claim that the Dolphin doesn't result in significant savings does nothing but make you look foolish.
I just proved, with actual dates and dollars, that my assessment is correct. Prefer the Dolphin all you want, that's fine by me. But I strongly object to counter-factual claims presented as Gospel when people who don't know any better come to this site for real information. Comparing your miraculously discounted room at the Dolphin to Disney's rack rates is dishonest.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Picking September 16th as an example, Yacht club would be $426.00 per night with tax, Dolphin would be $223.00 per night including tax, resort fee and parking. So even if you buy magic bands (which don't come free when at the Dolphin) and take a cab to and from the airport, you are still going to come out ahead over the length of your vacation.

I was at the Dolphin last September for the Food and Wine festival and paid about this same rate.

BrianV

Picking September 16th as an example, Yacht club would be $426.00 per night with tax, Dolphin would be $223.00 per night including tax, resort fee and parking. So even if you buy magic bands (which don't come free when at the Dolphin) and take a cab to and from the airport, you are still going to come out ahead over the length of your vacation.

I was at the Dolphin last September for the Food and Wine festival and paid about this same rate.

We stayed over Easter week for a conference at the dolphin. The room was 199 plus tax and service fee.

I have nothing to compare to as we were at a conference in the hotel and didn't price out other options. I doubt we could have had a standard room at any of the other Epcot hotels for 250.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I just proved, with actual dates and dollars, that my assessment is correct. Prefer the Dolphin all you want, that's fine by me. But I strongly object to counter-factual claims presented as Gospel when people who don't know any better come to this site for real information. Comparing your miraculously discounted room at the Dolphin to Disney's rack rates is dishonest.
All you did was prove that even during a total off peak time, the Dolphin is STILL cheaper. What I proved (as my facts were from early summer) is that during a peak time, the Dolphin is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.

But keep blabbering, Captain America, because everyone on this forum knows that, like the place or not, the Dolphin is cheaper than the other Epcot resorts. And every post that you take the time to write wherein you attempt to claim that the Dolphin is NOT cheaper only serves to further the fact that YOU are indeed the one who is "dishonest" and "don't know any better."

And once again, you show your true character (or total lack thereof in this instance) when you ignorantly and arrogantly claim that your position is fact but anyone who presents different numbers is somehow lying.

jprieur

Surprised no one has mentioned the beds. Let's face it, for the most part a Disney vacation is a physical beat down. 8+ miles walking a day, standing in lines, Florida heat/humidity, etc. . . A restful sleep experience is a must for a multi day trip or else you start to look forward more to going home than another day in the park.

Nothing on site, save perhaps the new 4 seasons I have yet to stay at, beats the westin heavenly bed after a full day in the parks. It's a nice mattress with a real down comforter, real down pillows and nice thread count sheets. Sorry but even the Disney deluxe beds don't compare, and don't even get me started on the crunchy beds of the mods and values.

Hotels are subjective, some like that mix of class with Disney theme and some like that upscale resort only feel of the swolphin, doesn't really make one better than the other. For me the bed swings it in the swolphin direction. Especially when I can get an alcove suite at the swan for the price of a woods view at a Disney deluxe.

I will say that that the lack of MDE is a bummer. When we do swolphin we use a town car service and it just doesn't have the same 'I've arrived at Disney' feel of the Disney bus!

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Surprised no one has mentioned the beds. Let's face it, for the most part a Disney vacation is a physical beat down. 8+ miles walking a day, standing in lines, Florida heat/humidity, etc. . . A restful sleep experience is a must for a multi day trip or else you start to look forward more to going home than another day in the park.

Nothing on site, save perhaps the new 4 seasons I have yet to stay at, beats the westin heavenly bed after a full day in the parks. It's a nice mattress with a real down comforter, real down pillows and nice thread count sheets. Sorry but even the Disney deluxe beds don't compare, and don't even get me started on the crunchy beds of the mods and values.

Hotels are subjective, some like that mix of class with Disney theme and some like that upscale resort only feel of the swolphin, doesn't really make one better than the other. For me the bed swings it in the swolphin direction. Especially when I can get an alcove suite at the swan for the price of a woods view at a Disney deluxe.

I will say that that the lack of MDE is a bummer. When we do swolphin we use a town car service and it just doesn't have the same I've arrived at Disney fee of e bus!
You are dead on with the beds.

But be careful about pointing out how you save real money by staying at the SD. Captain Amaerica will start attacking you as being a liar!

CaptainAmerica

All you did was prove that even during a total off peak time, the Dolphin is STILL cheaper. What I proved (as my facts were from early summer) is that during a peak time, the Dolphin is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.

But keep blabbering, Captain America, because everyone on this forum knows that, like the place or not, the Dolphin is cheaper than the other Epcot resorts. And every post that you take the time to write wherein you attempt to claim that the Dolphin is NOT cheaper only serves to further the fact that YOU are indeed the one who is "dishonest" and "don't know any better."

And once again, you show your true character (or total lack thereof in this instance) when you ignorantly and arrogantly claim that your position is fact but anyone who presents different numbers is somehow lying.
I never said the Dolphin is "not cheaper," simply that it is not ALWAYS cheaper and, when it is, it's not necessarily the "fraction of the cost" that you'd like people to believe. It's certainly usually the cheaper option. But people should still price out all options based on their individual dates and party configuration rather than just ASSUMING that they're going to save piles of cash based on threads like this one.

@jprieur the mattresses are probably a higher quality than those provided by Disney but people should note that the Dolphin only has one king or two double beds in their standard rooms. The Swan does offer queens.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Graves wonderful PoMo architecture is certainly unique. :)

I always loved this view of the Swan and Dolphin. Might not be the Disney magic that some people are looking for, but it's magical to me in it's own way..

home_1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom