Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Indy? Pipe dream. 15 year old pipe dream. They're not going to drop a 15 year old attraction into a dated and quiet property like Indy, especially since they haven't had a successful film since Holy Grail.

I know you're right, but I'd still love something as great as Indy at WDW. It may be over 15 years old, but WDW hasn't bothered to meet or exceed an attraction of that level (and that definitely applies to Dinosaur).

WDWLover#1

I hate to be the "but Universal. . . " guy but. . .

While $3 billion is an exciting amount of money being injected, it's spread over 10 YEARS! Universal has publicly committed to $1 billion a year, for the next ten years, so safe guess is $3-4 billion for each USF and IOA - and US has a fraction of the income to reinvest that WDW does. $3 billion is going to work wonders, but it's what they should've been doing already to a park that has left to fallow for a decade.

In short, $300 million a year is welcome news and god knows desperately needed, but it's pennies to the mouse.
I would think that for walt Disney world over the last 3-5 years at least over $3 billion has been spent in the resort. It just wasn't on e tickets. They're spending loads just not on rides but upgrades and improvements. Should they have added an e ticket more recently? Yes of course. But they're spending loads of money, and in the next couple of years we're gonna get loads of exciting updates from springs to hollywood studios to animal kingdom over haul. Plus epcots new nighttime show and (whether u like it or not) frozen

WDWLover#1

Has anyone else heard that the name "Disneys Hollywood Adventure" hasn't been testing well with focus groups? Also, take it with a grain of salt, but at d23 only expect some vague concept art for Star Wars land, and more info on Pixar stuff. Apparently the board have rejected the imagineers plans for Star Wars for not being good enough. So it could be that the Pixar stuff will be fast tracked while they work on improving the SW land plan.

FigmentJedi

Yeah, that's exactly why I wouldn't want it to be Dagobah. Spend an unprecedented amount of money on arguably the most beloved fictional universe ever created and you hamstring the implementation because there's an inconsequential lake that was originally placed where it is to form the ear of a giant Mickey Mouse. Echo lake cannot be the constraint on this project IMO

I'm not for it staying or going, but that lake can't drive this new land. I'm sure there are plenty of bodies of water in the universe outside the swamps of Dagobah. If they do go with Dagobah, I'd be inclined to think, the land will be a hodgepodge of attractions rather than a cohesive themed land...dagohbah swamp, tatooine cantina, Ossus Jedi Academy...might as well plop down a death star run attraction and be done with it. The franchise is so massive, hucnopefully they go for imerssive, self contained areas as much as possible in different parks.

I do agree on the need for shade...that can be figured out.

Keeping the lake (which is the only non-Fantasmic body of water in the park) also eases the transition. Wouldn't want to just run smack dab into Tatooine going off the hub after all.
And as has been suggested before, there's also the chunk of parking lot behind Star Tours that can be used for Star Wars stuff.

Also, seriously, Knights of the Old Republic represented in Star Wars land? Never gonna happen, especially with the EU reboot suggesting a whole different aesthetic for the period (More Space Feudal Japan than "clunkier version of OT technology").

CaptainAmerica

I wouldn't really say that... $500 million/yr for Universal's parks adjusts $1.25 B-$1.5 B/yr at the Disney parks, with their extra-bloated budgets. If Comcast spent $1 billion/yr on Universal Orlando, we'd be getting 5 new attractions, updates for existing ones and a hotel expansion/new hotel pretty much annually. He should have fact-checked how much they were planning to spend.

$3 billion at WDW gets you far less than $3 billion at Universal Orlando. Not to start another debate, but they're just bringing up how TDO spends far too much on 'expansions' with little substance ($500 million gets you 2 rides, a restaurant and a shut-down classic dark ride for a M&G, plus an extra spinner and less theming for the kiddie coaster)

New Fantasyland, NGE and Disney Springs aren't WDW? ;)

New Fantasyland is really just half-baked. And in a park that desperately needs capacity, there was some missed opportunities to increase it without causing substantial overcrowding.
  1. B&TB having no people-eating ride/attraction (2,500-3,000/hr)
  2. Peter Pan not getting even a slight increase in hourly capacity through new RVs (even 100-200/hr increase would have been helpful)
  3. The tents not holding a people-eater (huge waste of space that most people ignore - a people-eating circus show starring Mickey and Friends would have been perfect for this - 3,000 to 5,000/hr)
  4. Princess Fairytale Hall reducing hourly capacity from SWSA's old number (500-700/hr vs. 900-1,100/hr)
Only B&TB E would actually increase attendance. An actual SWSA replacement, Peter Pan getting overhauled and a new show where the tents are would be the kind of C-ticket people-suckers MK desperately needs.

MM+ isn't really a great investment TBH. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but it's definitely not the best thing they could have spent $2-2.5 billion on. Should have just spent $1 billion on better Wi-Fi, and the other $1 billion or so on a Pixar Place expansion and some Future World enhancements (Soarin' 3rd theater/updated film, Test Track revamp, Energy revamp, Imagination overhaul, Innoventions/SSE updates). Then, the $3 billion+ we're getting now could be used for actual expansion to Epcot (something in WoL, something between Land/Neno), bigger enhancements to MK (Tomorrowland overhaul, new parade, updates for all headliners, etc), Star Wars Land and more DHS placemaking, and something beyond Pandora for AK (Fixing the Yeti)

I agree. There's no reason to be pumped about the DHS redo and what's coming to Epcot/MK until more details are released. Plans change all of the time, so we ought to be hesitant to avoid getting burned once again.
Except that Universal Orlando isn't getting anywhere near that number. ALL Universal parks WORLDWIDE are getting $500M per year TOTAL.

Rich_riv16

Here's how I think the DHS overhaul is going to happen.

Pixar Place - that will take place in the area where it is right now and to Art of Animation. Possibly it could expand behind TSMM and MAYBE wipe out the earful tower (since it probably won't be studios anymore).

Cars Land - now when people see this they are probably thinking they might not happen, but there is enough room to put it because if Pixar place goes towards Animation Courtyard. Cars Land would work if it goes down Streets of America and in LMA and the Backlot.

Star Wars Land - now there's a no doubter about this. This can go through Echo Lake, Indiana Jones, and the existing Star Wars attractions. People rumors American Idol (Hyperion now) theater would close, but bc of Frozen taking over Hyperion, that's gone. Also, Star Wars could go near Muppets and wipe that out.

Hollywood Boulevard - so I have a new name that Hollywood Boulevard could have…Buena Vista Street! All the shops are wiped out and remodeled to look like DCA's. Maybe we could see the sight of the Red Car Trolleys coming to FL? That's my possibility and the same thing with Vine. All the shops get remodeled and the trolley can go down through there.

New Name - my prediction on DHS's new name or names I should add. Disney Hollywood Adventure or Disney Florida Adventure. One of those two names can work.

Misc Additions - New parking entrance with more parking and another addition will be the flex theater. Could we possibly see a new firework spectacular at DHS? I mean I know Fantasmic is there, but DL does Fantasmic and has a firework spectacular after the show.

Budget - It is 3 billion dollars.

These are my predictions on the DHS overhaul

SoupBone

In the article...

Oh, and that doesn’t even include the new nighttime show being lined up for EPCOT to replace Illuminations or the new attraction that will be kicking Journey Into Imagination to the curb.

Can you link it? I guess I missed the original article. So Figment is getting the boot too?

s8film40

I understand that some people will love this name, but this is about the most uninspired, uncreative, lazy park naming to date with Disney. This name conjures images of some generic, third rate local fair, not the Disney we all know and love. Someone in their branding department needs to lose their job.
It doesn't matter, everyone will still call it MGM anyways.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Where, exactly, has Universal publicly committed to that ridiculous number?
The orlando sentinel posted a story a while ago about 500 million... but not the specific span of time...

<Snip>What will all those visitors do when they come to Universal Orlando? Burke told the analysts that Universal has increased its capital spending on theme parks to about $500 million a year, and that he expects that to be the company's new normal for annual capital spending. He said that the company's goal is to open a new attraction every year at both Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood.</Snip>

*1023*

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Except that Universal Orlando isn't getting anywhere near that number. ALL Universal parks WORLDWIDE are getting $500M per year TOTAL.

Statement from the 10Q Filing for Comcast's NBCUniversal report:

Theme Parks:
Consists primarily of our Universal theme parks in Orlando, Florida and Hollywood, California.

CAPEX from the 10Q:

NBCUniversal10Q.jpg

This seems to be a pretty consistent quarterly number. Around $150 per quarter. Last year, same quarter it was 144...

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom