Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

kap91

This is exciting.

Also can I finally shout I told you so? This article is literally what I've been predicting here for a crazy long time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Two Words on DHS remake 'Show Me' - everyone is so excited about Disney's latest PR maneuver, a year from now the only thing 'new' at DHS will be more 'construction walls', Remember kids last year 'Construction was going to start immediately on SW Land etc because they closed 5 attractions' other than hauling key elements to the scrapyard to ensure the attractions could not be reopened what's happened besides MORE planned closures...

Lee

Adventurer
Two Words on DHS remake 'Show Me' - everyone is so excited about Disney's latest PR maneuver, a year from now the only thing 'new' at DHS will be more 'construction walls', Remember kids last year 'Construction was going to start immediately on SW Land etc because they closed 5 attractions' other than hauling key elements to the scrapyard to ensure the attractions could not be reopened what's happened besides MORE planned closures...
I agree that there will be nothing new a year from now.

The budget is spread over a five year build-out.

Patience will be required.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

If TSPL is truly coming to DHS and potentially any other rides that the whole family can ride, I REALLY hope that we lose Disney Junior. It's marketed at such a tiny portion of the audience and no one above the age of 5 or so actually even cares to go in.

Unless they would have plans to demo that building and do something major with Animation courtyard, maybe turn that back into a quick service?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, I don't personally buy IJA coming and everything else in the article is already assumed to be in the realm of truth, though on a smaller scale than $3b would provide. This is, however, the first open mention of the $3b number that I've seen.
Indy EMV in Orlando is every fans dream. I've heard nowt about that but doesn't mean it isn't - or is - happening.

The figure is slightly high for DHS. And also includes park infrastructure, roads, pavements, possible parking changes and the like.

The rest of the money is split on MK and Epcot projects.
Edit - I see @Lee explained this too.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Im very curious as to what the Epcot projects are. It seems an Illuminations replacement has the most validity. Maybe some Energy/Imagination? Am I correct in saying that Innoventions and Spaceship Earth would only be worked on if the sponsorships involved foot the bill? If so, that narrows the list of attractions Disney would invest their own money into.

Next Big Thing

yes, OMD and Animation are closing in two weeks. Nothing on HISTK yet though that is obviously no surprise.

So Figment is finally getting a facelift. Inside-out is great and if they just add the bugs to Living with the Land, Future World West will be Pixarland!
I really feel they should change the name of Future World to.... well... something else.

It doesn't fit anymore.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree that there will be nothing new a year from now.

The budget is spread over a five year build-out.

Patience will be required.

Taking that as a given Why in the heck then is TWDC closing attractions left right and center at DHS and charging full price for a much diminished experience. Budgets and 114 per share stock notwithstanding this kind of stuff is usually only seen at companies in deep financial trouble.

Last years closing 5 major attractions, This year we are on track for what 3 majors and 2-3 minor attractions and still nothing but more closures... And now we hear that the budget cutting is in full swing at the supposed cash cow ESPN. Makes one wonder if the the next step at WDW is the bankruptcy auction of the 'Assets Of The Walt Disney Company' because the 'Going out of Business' vibe at WDW is unmistakable.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Im very curious as to what the Epcot projects are. It seems an Illuminations replacement has the most validity. Maybe some Energy/Imagination? Am I correct in saying that Innoventions and Spaceship Earth would only be worked on if the sponsorships involved foot the bill? If so, that narrows the list of attractions Disney would invest their own money into.
Given the amount allocated to Epcot I'd like to think Energy could get an overhaul and Imagination could be great again and make better use of the building. Even Wonders could get some love; with proper allocation of funds and budgeting - and reigning in what WDI charges - all 3 pavilions could shine again. It shouldn't cost a fortune since all 3 are already standing and ready.

Assuming what I'm told that RoE isn't changing anytime soon, the remaining amount could go to Innoventions and the long delayed central spine project. Even Imp de France could get new footage from what's left over.

All assuming runaway budgets are finally curtailed. The amount available to the park isn't insignificant to say Comcast - for example - but TWDC need to relearn how to spend money wisely.

Last edited:

peter11435

Taking that as a given Why in the heck then is TWDC closing attractions left right and center at DHS and charging full price for a much diminished experience. Budgets and 114 per share stock notwithstanding this kind of stuff is usually only seen at companies in deep financial trouble.

Last years closing 5 major attractions, This year we are on track for what 3 majors and 2-3 minor attractions and still nothing but more closures... And now we hear that the budget cutting is in full swing at the supposed cash cow ESPN. Makes one wonder if the the next step at WDW is the bankruptcy auction of the 'Assets Of The Walt Disney Company' because the 'Going out of Business' vibe at WDW is unmistakable.
What were the 5 MAJOR attractions you speak of? Backlot Tour, American Idol, and Jack Sparrow. That's three by my count and I would hardly consider all 3 major. Don't get me wrong the studios in its current state (and recent past) sucks. But your hyperbole is laughable at best as usual.

John

I am going to let all of you argue over what attractions may or may not make the cut. My vote is going to having some of that 3 B ( that really is an incredible amount of money.....we are all discussing it like its Monopoly money) putting some charm back in to WDW as a whole. Maybe put a few of those bucks in to the pockets of the CM;s..........naaaaaaaaa that's not going to happen. Its been said that Disney wants to cater to the top 1% well make a destination that is worthy. We know DHS needs an extreme make over. But give me the details that once made this place known for being top quality. 3B is more then the GDP of a lot of small countries!

With out a doubt within this budget transportation has to be addressed. You are going to do all these imporvments.....I would think they expect attendance to even grow higher. Transportation is already busting at the seems.

Never understood the line of thinking......give us new attractions! where we stand in line for two hours for a 90 second thrill. Give me immersion....give me details.....streetmosphere....give me top notch maintained resorts.......Does anyone worry that some of this money will be put in to trying to fix the boondoggle called MM+? Like there hasn't been enough money spent?

I know......when did they let the Debbie Downer to come in here and pee pee on our parade. But my memory isn't that short. One day they wake up after over a decade being in a spending slumber and going to just say hey....here is 3 billion go have fun? To much history for me to just blindly buy in. I know those sharp pencil guys are still waiting in the wings with their pocket protectors and calculators. Does anybody remember NFL and the Mine train?

What I will say is...if this comes to fruition and TWDC spends this money in OTown.....it would mean enormous benefits to the entire area...192 and I drive will continue to see a revitalization.......much needed money being poured in to that local economy.

The bad news is that this will give those lifestylers more construction walls to Tweet about for the next six years.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am going to let all of you argue over what attractions may or may not make the cut. My vote is going to having some of that 3 B ( that really is an incredible amount of money.....we are all discussing it like its Monopoly money) putting some charm back in to WDW as a whole. Maybe put a few of those bucks in to the pockets of the CM;s..........naaaaaaaaa that's not going to happen. Its been said that Disney wants to cater to the top 1% well make a destination that is worthy. We know DHS needs an extreme make over. But give me the details that once made this place known for being top quality. 3B is more then the GDP of a lot of small countries!

With out a doubt within this budget transportation has to be addressed. You are going to do all these imporvments.....I would think they expect attendance to even grow higher. Transportation is already busting at the seems.

Never understood the line of thinking......give us new attractions! where we stand in line for two hours for a 90 second thrill. Give me immersion....give me details.....streetmosphere....give me top notch maintained resorts.......Does anyone worry that some of this money will be put in to trying to fix the boondoggle called MM+? Like there hasn't been enough money spent?

I know......when did they let the Debbie Downer to come in here and pee pee on our parade. But my memory isn't that short. One day they wake up after over a decade being in a spending slumber and going to just say hey....here is 3 billion go have fun? To much history for me to just blindly buy in. I know those sharp pencil guys are still waiting in the wings with their pocket protectors and calculators. Does anybody remember NFL and the Mine train?

What I will say is...if this comes to fruition and TWDC spends this money in OTown.....it would mean enormous benefits to the entire area...192 and I drive will continue to see a revitalization.......much needed money being poured in to that local economy.

The bad news is that this will give those lifestylers more construction walls to Tweet about for the next six years.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Next Big Thing

No info ... although strong belief that you won't see it again. They only like to use Walt as a character, like Mickey or Tink or Elsa or Buzz or Darth Vader etc ... to sell things. They really don't want you to know he was a man, a visionary, and someone who very likely wouldn't like a lot of what has happened in his absence..
The saddest thing I learned while working at MK was there is a surprisingly large population of guests that don't know Walt Disney was actually a real person... and it's not just the internationals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom