Best tips for surviving Disneyworld for 7 days!

NonnaT

Yesterday I went to the royal show here in my home town and it was a horror. I am suburnt from head to toe, my gf got blisters so we spent an hour trying to find a pair of shoes for her to buy, we got bloated from eating junk and chafing from wearing inappropriate clothes.

We got home and all I could think was, how the heck am I going to survive 7 days walking around the parks!!! My feet were outrageously sore! Maybe I need to start working out haha
Comfortable shoes, (not flip-flops) sunscreen, aloe vera gel with lidocaine, cool comfy hat, loose, comfortable clothes (preferably with pockets), and a water bottle you can refill! Easy peasy! From your bad experience you now know what NOT to do. Also plan to get out of the sun during the hottest part of the day. Either by going back to your room, or by doing some "indoor" adventures! Have fun and sparkle on!

Seanual757

My suggestion is DON’T OVERDUE IT this can actually ruin your WDW experience.
Plan your fast passes in advance (book rides that book extremely fast)
Plan downtime at the resort
We like to hit the parks 1st thing in the morning, leave around 12-1pm, then head back around 6-7pm.
We will relax at the pool, take a nap, or do some other non-park things.

Parker Clan

I thought the exact same thing as the OP before my first trip as an adult. I have extremely sensitive skin and figured I'd have heat rash, sunburn etc because we were going in August. But like everyone said here with these great tips.. You go prepared and you will survive! We've done four August's in a row and love it!!
Reapplying sunscreen is key, wearing a hat, bringing water & a sports drink and snacks. Wearing comfortable shoes and bringing a couple pairs. Taking afternoon breaks by the pool or napping (if it's your thing). I think it's definitely manageable if you plan ahead!

Tres Vegas

You already have some good tips mentioned here, I'll share my experiences that worked well for my family.

shoes: make sure they are already broken in and never wear new shoes they may fit well in store but you may realize after a few days there is a problem. athletic shoes breath much better on hot days.

sox: cotton works well for us, ankle length is what we like legs breath better on warm days. the new nylon blends that claim it wicks away moisture do not work well in humidity.

cloths: again no new materialed clothing (chaffing) wear what you usually purchase. if you worry about chaffing go to a local sports store and purchase a bar of "body glide" for the areas that may be an issue. apply like deodorant.

flip flops: most stay away from them yet I found a very comfortable set of Reef Sandals that my whole family wore for 9 days straight with no foot issues. (we wear them on a regular basis anyway)

sunscreen: obviously a high spf, keep away from forehead so if you sweat it will not run into your eyes its not very comfortable.

Liquids: we buy water bottles before we go and freeze them over night, get a locker (never had a problem with Disney bringing them in) and as the day goes on switch as needed. sliced oranges in the locker stay cool as well with frozen bottles and are a nice cool refreshment during the day. I carry a half back pack and exchange as needed during the day.

Soda, Fatty foods: maybe one soft drink to go with our meal. also we stay away from heavy meals (spices) so that we do not have that bloated feeling after we eat and now have to walk the rest of the day/night.

hope I offered something useful for you here, have a great trip!

gilm0114

Just one comment to add to everyone else's advice. Even if you don't have reservations for restaurants, you can still eat a good variety of food at the quick service locations. You don't have to eat hamburgers and hot dogs for your entire trip. Not sure where else you could check this out, but my family used the My Disney Experience app when we were in the parks last year to look up menus of quick service restaurants when we started getting hungry, and then decide on a place from there, instead of just grabbing whatever greasy, fatty food was close by.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Just one comment to add to everyone else's advice. Even if you don't have reservations for restaurants, you can still eat a good variety of food at the quick service locations. You don't have to eat hamburgers and hot dogs for your entire trip. Not sure where else you could check this out, but my family used the My Disney Experience app when we were in the parks last year to look up menus of quick service restaurants when we started getting hungry, and then decide on a place from there, instead of just grabbing whatever greasy, fatty food was close by.
Welcome aboard

Momof3petes

Wicking socks is a great tip! Also have extra pairs of socks. Changing out of wet/sweaty socks helps too. Like your sneakers, don't wear socks you haven't tried and tested. I know that sounds funny, but I've been in a pair of uncomfortable no show socks before and it wasn't fun. Also recommend you start walking more at home before your trip because it helps!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Wicking socks is a great tip! Also have extra pairs of socks. Changing out of wet/sweaty socks helps too. Like your sneakers, don't wear socks you haven't tried and tested. I know that sounds funny, but I've been in a pair of uncomfortable no show socks before and it wasn't fun. Also recommend you start walking more at home before your trip because it helps!
Welcome aboard! I tell everybody start walking even if you're only thinking about maybe going to Disney! Never too early to start getting in shape.

12in12

I agree with what all the other members are saying. Another thing I like to add is to share a meal with your gf. Portions are often big and sharing will prevent overeating. Start looking at menus now to see where you would like to eat. If you leave it till you are hot, hungry and tired in the park bad things can happen;).
Not saying you have to decided where you want to eat but if you know QS X has a salad or sandwich that sounded good to you it might make the choice easier when you are walking around in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom