Best tips for surviving Disneyworld for 7 days!

zoenaveau

Original Poster
Yesterday I went to the royal show here in my home town and it was a horror. I am suburnt from head to toe, my gf got blisters so we spent an hour trying to find a pair of shoes for her to buy, we got bloated from eating junk and chafing from wearing inappropriate clothes.

We got home and all I could think was, how the heck am I going to survive 7 days walking around the parks!!! My feet were outrageously sore! Maybe I need to start working out haha

NiarrNDisney

- Aquaphor is great for chaffing (remember a little goes a long way)
- Aloevera gel (the clear kind is best) will help with the burns (I also like Burts Bees Aloe & Linden Flower After Sun Soother)
- Clothes that are versatile, breath and dry quickly should you get wet on a water ride or a typical random Florida rainstorm decides to come through
- Pack shoes that are comfy and road tested bring an extra pair just in case the others fail (I'm a fan of Clarks boat shoes)
- UVA & UVB Sunblock spray and sticks are all great for chaffing and preventing sun burns (30 is best for all over and remember to apply it 30min. before exposure to the sun and to reapply it at least once more during the day)
- Most importantly take your time, relax, enjoy yourself and try not to stress or over do it!
Take breaks when you need to! Go back to the resort! Eat and keep yourself hydrated!
Should you ever get annoyed or irritated take a deep breath and count to ten (how bad can the issue really be)

I'm betting you will have a wonderful trip!

Last edited:

RScottyL

I would definitely recommend trying to go during the slowest time of the year, that way you can pace yourself better and not have to be in a rush to enjoy everything! If you go during the busiest time, trying to fight the crowds and wait in the lines will not be fun!

When we went we had tickets to the parks for 6 days, and our trip was for 7 days! We went to each of the 4 parks once, then came back and did Magic Kingdom again and EPCOT again!

Scott10

Rope Drop - Character meals (great food and great photo opps, along with some nice rest) - Resort in early afternoon for nap/pool time - hit parks late afternoon rejuvenated and ready to have a great evening.
One thing we have done when hitting up Disney for 5 or more days --- take the middle day and relax with no park touring....after sleeping in, we hit up a character meal at a resort and enjoy the pool.

4disneylovers

I read that if you get blisters the little corn pads that have the holes in the center are good. I took some on our last trip just in case. When I walk a lot I have this strange tendency of my pinky toes to end up under my other toes and get sore. Don't know why this happens when I walk a lot but it does. I used those corn pads as a spacer between my pinky toe and The toe next to it and it worked beautifully. Take some just in case you never know when they might come in handy. Also definitely take two pairs of tennis shoes in case one gets wet you have A dry pair. You can also buy something called body glide which is basically aloe in a stick form like a deodorant stick at sports stores.

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Sunscreen - re-apply very often (it's easy to forget to do so). Cap/hat, at least during the hottest hours. Sunglasses. Comfy shoes, good socks, band aids if needed (you can find some designed especially for blisters). Definitely appropriate, comfortable clothes - clothes that "breathe". Stay hydrated. And rest often, in the shade if possible.

Traver Freeman

don't try to do it all in 7 days. pace yourself. if you get tired, sit down and rest. or go back to where you're staying for a afternoon nap/swim, then go back to the park. There is no way to see it all in 7 days.

Serious? I could do just the parks at Disney World in 4 days comfortably, and 3 possibly even three days (there's not much at Hollywood Studios).

We went for 6 in November, and I was ready to leave. I did 8 on my honeymoon, and we were bored by the end. I know there's a ton more to do there than just the parks, but you can do some of that other stuff (mini-golfing, shopping, sitting at pool) anywhere, even in your home town.

Diva120

Really great / sound advice here. We just came back from 7 days during spring break where it was massively crowded (jones beach / Coney Island in the summer crowded).

We paced ourselves.
Drank loads of water - I really like getting the ice waters from the quick serve places.
Disney croc flip flops with back up sneakers. - We were out at 8am to 1am - 2/3 days.
Find air conditioned spots to rest - shops, Innoventions, shops, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, shops LOL
Took advantage of fast pass + and working in other rides with single riders lines.
Bring snacks - We tend to book our meals way in advanced, but wandering around for food at high noon and you are starving makes the best of us cranky.

We planned 1 park per day because our travel mates had one park per day tickets.

disneyfirstLJ

We just returned from a 8 day, 7 night trip and here are my suggestions...
Day 1 - Travel day - No parks, checked into resort, changed clothes to fit the warmer weather, ate lunch at resort, rested in room, unpacked and went to Downtown Disney for an early dinner/look around. We were in bed early that night to get ready for our first park day.

Pace yourself, go back to the resort to rest in a/c and swim during the peak afternoon heat
Lots of water, filtered ice water from quick service locations and included small bottle of water with kids meals
Two pair of worn in sneakers and a pair of sandals/crocs/flip-flops for tired feet
Take a morning off to sleep in and take a night off to go to bed early
Use FP+ for the rides/shows you really want to see, make a must do list. That way if you miss something it is no big deal because it wasn't a must do.
Allow downtime and don't stress if you can't fit everything. Most likely you just won't be able to anyway
Go with the flow
Have a fan and/or cooling towel with you
I wore Neutrogena Ultra Shear SPF 100+ sunscreen everyday. I put in on right after I got out of the shower in the morning. Only had to reapply if I went swimming. Paired with a hat, no sunburn and I turn lobster red quick.
Bring snacks and something to do (fun game app) while waiting in lines
We used the park hopper and went to one park in the AM and a different park later in the day. Kept things fun and interesting for us.
Bring blister band aids, moleskin and anti-chaffing stick (I got one blister and was able to keep going without much fuss using the blister band aids)
Make sure you have a poncho or water resistant rain jacket
Don't pack too much in your park bag, it might feel light in the beginning of the day but will get heavier as the day goes on
Have your purchases sent to your resort gift shop instead of carrying them around in the heat.

Relax, don't stress out and just enjoy yourself!

Parrain

Everything in moderation! Hit the parks at rope drop while it's cool, ride your faves, then chillax. Take your time and look around at all of the details and enjoy the atmosphere. Hit philharmagic, or Finding Nemo, or the hall of presidents... Any indoor air conditioned attraction in the middle of the heated day. But remember to relax! There are so many beautiful and interesting details in the parks that you will notice when you begin to look around at things and not for things. I developed an appreciation for the imagineering after watching Modern MarvelsWalt Disney World. I highly recommend you find a copy, it was So Interesting that I had to go, and have been back nearly 30 times since seeing it!

Figgy1

Premium Member
When trying on shoes for a Disney trip I always walk around the store until I start getting really funny looks from the sales people. I want to make sure they will be comfy and I won't be wasting my money. When I get them home I make sure they are broken in before leaving home. I always take at least 3 pairs with me to rotate. Also reapply sunscreen every 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Florida sun can be brutal all year round. Also all cs places will give you free water, don't let yourself get dehydrated. Also start walking NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before a trip I'm up to 12 miles a day 6 days a week. People think I'm a bit nuts, but I go with open to close commandos for 2 weeks and come home well rested!

Weather_Lady

Don't sweat it (literally) -- with a little planning you can stay cool and comfortable!

My family walks an average of 8-10 miles in an average Disney day (and that's with touring in two 4-5 hour chunks with a big leisurely break in between and everybody in bed before 10pm). To save your feet and sanity I recommend a lengthy nap/swim break from after lunchtime to about 4pm. All you'll miss in the parks are the worst crowds and heat of the day. When you return to the parks all rested and refreshed (and with a new coat of sunscreen), wear different shoes. Alternating footwear will help prevent blisters and keep your feet in good shape.

Also, choose appropriate footwear that you've broken in at home. Good-quality running sneakers with moisture-wicking socks, or supportive hiking sandals that don't get slippery when wet (e.g., Teva/Keen/Clarks), are ideal. We bring 1 pair of sneakers and 1 pair of sandals per person for my family of four, switching them midday, and we've never had a single blister! If your girlfriend wants to (or you want to) wear some cute fashion sandals out to dinner or something, that's fine, but just keep a back-up pair of "sensible shoes" in the park bag. You'll be glad you did.

As for clothes, natural, breathable, quick-drying fabrics in light colors are the way to go. And while you don't have to start working out or anything, if you make a habit of taking a nice, long walk in the morning or after dinner, you can help build your stamina for park touring.

You also mentioned being uncomfortable from eating junk food. While Disney offers plenty of that, if you want to avoid salty, fatty snacks, you shouldn't have to look too far. Most Disney eateries (aside from the bakeries and ice cream stands, of course!) offer some more healthful options if that's what you're looking for (either advertised, or on request -- e.g., "could I get apple slices with my grilled chicken sandwich, instead of the fries?").

Last edited:

lyssehm

I typically use moisture wicking socks when I go. They can usually be found in department stores. As always, sunblock is a must. Don't forget to apply to the backs of your hands, top of your head (where your hair parts), and tops of your feet if they show at all. I'd also say to take advantage of all the shows at Disney. Sitting for a nice 30 minute show does wonders when you need to rest.

Misterdcp

The best tip I can give you is start walking a lot leading up to your trip. We typically stay 10 days and pace ourselves, taking time during the hottest part of the day to relax at the resort by the pool before going to a park/resort for dinner reservations. Before our last trip we were up to walking a few miles each night after work and it definitely made a difference once we got to the parks

SW_matt

Start over hydrating before you leave and top up regularly whilst there, drink loads in the morning when you get up whilst its cool and then drink little and often. Space out sit down shows so you get lots of mini breaks in the shade. Spend the hottest hours by the pool

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom