Negative inspiration for Disneyland?

darrelljon

Original Poster
I read the quote
"Since his time in Kansas City [Walt Disney] had been fascinated by amusement parks, remarking once to his friend Rudy Ising, “I’m going to have one some day, but mine’s going to be clean!”
What was Walt's negative experiences and at which parks that inspired him to create Disneyland?

216bruce

I don't think I've ever read of a specific incident, but local fairs and 'carny's' of the past were notorious for being sloppy, hap-hazard places. The folks that staffed them had a poor reputation and places like the game booths were rigged, and they featured freak shows, etc. Good, wholesome, God-fearing folks hesitated to go to a lot of them with their kids because of the thought that they were a bad influence on kids. So, Walt wanted the antithesis of these when he built his. He used places like Tivoli gardens in Denmark as a model for a classy, beautiful escape that all could enjoy.

ULPO46

I know this has been about a month since it was posted but the bad influence he experienced was while visiting Los Angeles's Griffith Park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom