1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Negative inspiration for Disneyland?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney: The Man Behind the Mouse' started by darrelljon, Jun 9, 2015.

1. darrelljon

darrelljon Member

I read the quote
    "Since his time in Kansas City [Walt Disney] had been fascinated by amusement parks, remarking once to his friend Rudy Ising, “I’m going to have one some day, but mine’s going to be clean!”
    What was Walt's negative experiences and at which parks that inspired him to create Disneyland?

2. 216bruce

216bruce Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever read of a specific incident, but local fairs and 'carny's' of the past were notorious for being sloppy, hap-hazard places. The folks that staffed them had a poor reputation and places like the game booths were rigged, and they featured freak shows, etc. Good, wholesome, God-fearing folks hesitated to go to a lot of them with their kids because of the thought that they were a bad influence on kids. So, Walt wanted the antithesis of these when he built his. He used places like Tivoli gardens in Denmark as a model for a classy, beautiful escape that all could enjoy.

3. ULPO46

ULPO46 Well-Known Member

I know this has been about a month since it was posted but the bad influence he experienced was while visiting Los Angeles's Griffith Park.