Top Tips!!!

jlsHouston

1st Timers

There is soooo much to do at Walt Disney World. You cannot possibly do everything unless you stay a month or more! Decide before leaving for the trip what each person in the group "must do" and enjoy everything else as a little something extra. Once you go for the first time, you will definately want to go back. There will always be something new to do on the next trip.

Almost everyone needs a little down time sometime during the trip. Sleep in occassionally, go back to the hotel for a swim and/or a nap. Please don't push your children to keep going. We all spend a lot of money for these trips but there is no sense in wearing everyone out to the point of children crying and parents screaming. It can ruin part of your vacation and makes it very unpleasant for the people around you listening to all the carrying on. It breaks my heart to see the Happiest Place on Earth turn in to the Most Miserable Place on Earth for children.

I totally hear you and that has been the hardest thing for me and my bunch since we have been treating every visit to the world like the last one and we have really maxed ourselves out several times. On top of it my DGS is a bit ADD, and I actually did MK with him last visit for several hours and could not believe this 5 year old was acting a bit put out there were so many people at MK interfering with his time there. :eek: I noticed he does better with park breaks since his perception on things is a bit skewed compared to us adults and DGD who is 7. If anyone has been able to turn that magical place a bit miserable it is him but when we finally slowed down a bit during our last visit it definitely helped!

All in all WDW is the most magical place for me and my family and we love our vacations at the happiest place on earth!:)

jlsHouston

:sohappy:Kristie...
VERY GOOD IDEA AND ADVICE FOR PARENTS!

Thanks for the post/advice!

P.S.
With all the good advice and tips, someone could compile these into a USEFUL book for Disney Travelers! :wave:

I lost my 5 year old grandson for about 5 minutes last visit and we were right near the jungle cruise kiosk... I was terrified.. I tried not to run around and lose my place where I last had him by my side. I just kept kind of walking a small circle area and calling his name and he finally heard me and we were reunited. I think I will get this tag idea for him and a whistle for him for this trip so if he separates from me or his mom he can blow his whistle and hopefully we will still be close to hear him.

CaptainShortty

I got these tips form another forum.
General Tips:

16. Ask for a late check out at your resort. It usually does not cost extra (it does not cost extra at a Disney Resort) and you may get to keep your room up to 2 hours longer.
John

This isn't completely true. If it is granted to you (it needs to be approved by housekeeping in order to happen) then if is free up until 12:59. 1 - 2:59 it is half of a room nights stay and 3 and beyond is a full nights stay. To request a late checkout, just hit the housekeeping button on your phone.

Here are some others I've gathered from my days as a CM:

1. When you get a confirmation from us, READ IT. All of it. Please. We really mean what we write in those things and it will only be to your benefit to make sure it's right. Also, bring them with you when you come to visit. We usually don't need them but if there are any problems, it'll save a lot of hassle having some proof in what you booked.
2. Do your research. If you book a preferred view room, make sure you know what it means. It'll save you (and us) a lot of hassle and heartache during your stay. This includes block out dates, closures, etc.
3. We will do everything in our power to make your stay magical but please remember that we are a all only human. Please remember that when you talk to us. We really appreciate it and you'd be amazed how it will work to your benefit if you do.
4. The best time and place to see "unique" characters is the animation courtyard in HS on the nights that Fantasmic is showing. Everyone from Goofy and the Incredibles to Jafar and Mary Poppins and her penguins might show up. You just never know!
5. If you're not really hungry when it comes time for a whole meal, the kids meals are a great bang for your buck. Grab one and have the entree when you order and the snack(s) for when you're (inevitably) hungry later!
6. Download the mobile magic app for your smartphone. It's a great way to book quick dining reservations, check wait times, FP return times, etc.
7. If you don't need to see the parade(s)/fireworks, its the best time to ride the rides.
8. You can go on rides up until the moment the parks close. That means even 1 minute! Take advantage of that!
9. If you're planning on going to a variety of places outside of Disney property (Universal, SeaWorld, etc.) it may be cost effective to rent a car vs. use Mears or a taxi service.
10. Buy a case of water (or order it from Garden Grocer) and leave it in your room. Bring them with you in the parks vs. paying for bottles in the parks. Same goes for small snacks which are great for the little kids sweet cravings.
11. Don't buy ponchos, sunscreen, camera products or anything of that nature while you're in Disney. It's way less expensive if you buy it prior to coming.
12. Bring multiple colored sharpies with you for character signatures to brighten up your autograph book.
13. Head to fantasyland later at night ones many of the kiddies have gone to dinner or to bed. The lines will be significantly shorter than during the heat of the day.
14. Never leave the parks if it's raining. Head to a store or indoor attraction to wait it out. When it does, head to an E-ticket for a (usually) much shorter wait time.
15. Disney giftcards are a great way to help your kids (or yourself) budget spending during the trip.
16. When the park exits after the nighttime spectacular, hang back and wait a good half hour or so to let it clear out. Then leisurely make your way to the exit.
17. Become an expert at the afternoon nap. Get up early and head to the park at park open until around 12:30. Then head back to your resort and swim, nap, have lunch, etc. Head back to the park around 4 for the rest of the night ready and refreshed!
18. Don't wear brand new shoes. You'll be sorry.
19. Make use of the photopass service. If you take enough pictures, the photo CD will pay for itself!
20. If you're traveling with multiple rooms (especially if the reservations have different last names) MAKE SURE YOU TELL US! We can't guarantee that you'll be together either way but your chances of being in a room near each other multiples 10 fold if you let us know well in advance.
21. Try not to let the little details bother you. Remember the big picture. Remember the magic.
22. Don't overplan. It'll only frustrate you when things don't go exactly how you thought they would. Go with the flow.
23. On a completely rainy day, head to Hollywood Studios. You'll be able to ride the most rides with the shortest walk between them.
24. The resorts monorail also stops at the TTC. Just a hint. =)
25. Make all your dining reservations in advance.
26. If you're ever looking to eat something specific in a park. Ask any CM you find to check. They all are supposed to carry around a piece of paper with that information on it.
27. Epcot Character Spot is one of the best places to meet the Fab 5.
28. If you're on the dining plan, make sure you use all of your points. You've already paid for them so make sure you get the most bang for your buck!
29. If it applies to your party, make use of the rider swap so everyone gets a chance to ride everything.
30. Resort hopping is a great way to spend a day not at the parks. They're all unique and fun to visit. And you never know, you may figure out where you want to stay on your next vacation!

Ok, I'm sure I have more but that should be good for now. Hope they help!! =)

Contrast

Wear comfortable shoes. I wear a pair of Crocs and I know 95% of people hate them and they are seen as a big fashion fail but they are extremely comfortable, durable and that's all that should matter, IMO.

SinginSarah

When I was a costuming CM, we had packs that we'd hand out for other CMs to store their rain gear in. We were told not to call them " packs" because apparently the word "" has a different meaning in the UK and it was offensive.

Also another tip: Make sure your shoes fit properly. I recently lost about 100 lbs and took a pair of my older shoes with me to WDW (yes, you do lose weight in your feet as well). After a day of walking, they were rubbing the balls of my feet raw. I had to buy some moleskin corn pads and put them on the balls of my feet to save them from burning from the rubbing.

Weather_Lady

Also another tip: Make sure your shoes fit properly. I recently lost about 100 lbs and took a pair of my older shoes with me to WDW (yes, you do lose weight in your feet as well). After a day of walking, they were rubbing the balls of my feet raw. I had to buy some moleskin corn pads and put them on the balls of my feet to save them from burning from the rubbing.

By the by, congratulations on your weight loss! That is a fantastic accomplishment.

Susan Savia

Carry a zip loc baggie for keeping things dry on Splash or other water rides and they come in hand during rain showers to protect camera, etc. Use Fast Passes. Eat lunch before noon to avoid the crowds. Pick up a park map and times schedule when entering the parks. Step to the side when needing to stop and discuss plans or to read the map. Carry your own snacks in the parks.

Future Imagineer

A good idea is to start in the back of the park but I think most of you would know. Another is to have early lunch and dinner or late lunch and dinner so you can be the crowds.

PeoplemoverTTA

The tennis shoe thing may work for you, but I know everyone in my family would be in agony in tennis shoes. Friends and relatives of mine who have been to WDW have suggested at various times: walking shoes, tennis shoes, flip flops (I can't image wearing flip flops for 12 hours, personally), crocs....it really depends on the person. I personally just tell people to wear their most comfortable shoes/sneakers.

I love my pack, fashion faux pas and all! When I was in college, I always dragged a heavy backpack around the parks, and once I switched to a pack, I seemed to do so much better in the parks, energy and sweat-wise - huge difference!

The one tip I share with people is to get up early and get to the parks when they open...that way you can hit major attractions, using short, opening lines and FP to do literally half a park before lunch (without rushing). Then, head back to the hotel around lunch time, beating the busiest crowd times (and hottest time) of the day. Take a nap, go for a dip in the pool, go to DTD, or better yet, just relax. Then, all nice and rested, head back to the parks around dinner time or just after. The people who stayed during the busy time and hottest parts of the day will be burned out and heading out of the park, leaving better queues and more reasonable weather for your well-rested family (while time of year can impact the difference in crowds a great deal, this tip really does apply 363 days per year...minus Christmas and Thanksgiving, when it's just chaotic :D).

Lol, someone just liked my post from 5 years ago, and I just have to post an update...I do not wear a pack any longer, and I'm kind of embarrassed that I did. I also do not wear Crocs anymore...just sayin ;)

Minnesota disney fan

Let's see, after reading all these tips, this is what I learned: Don't wear socks with crocs, even if that makes them comfortable and you won't get blisters. Ick, fashion faux pau! Also, don't wear those ridiculous huge tennis shoes, especially teenagers, as they look awful. Someone might laugh at your big feet! Don't wear those silly Mickey ears, esp if you are an adult, and even if they make you feel better and you are having fun.. Someone might laugh! Now, about those horrible, terrible ### packs. I hear they are outlawed overseas! So don't wear them here, even if they are comfortable, allow you to store your things easily, are hands off, because someone Might Laugh At You. The horror. I guess by now you know I am poking fun at these comments and embellishing a little too:):) But really people, it is a park, you should wear what you want to be comfortable and not worry about the up to the minute must do fashions!!!! That just strikes me as ridiculous! So, on the lighter side, look for me with my Mickey ears, ###pack, crocs with socks, and notice I am having a great time, so laugh away:):)

SW_matt

Although this thread had appeared to die a death I would add one thing, depending on what climate you are coming from- start over drinking water a week or so before you fly/travel, I found it helps big time with coping with the increase in heat in the first few days and you get acclimatised and feel comfortable much quicker!

NonnaT

When I was a costuming CM, we had ***** packs that we'd hand out for other CMs to store their rain gear in. We were told not to call them "***** packs" because apparently the word "*****" has a different meaning in the UK and it was offensive.

Hi SinginSarah, I accidently posted my response under another poster, but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your remarkable achievement!!!

NonnaT

Personally, I don't consider "Magic Hours" really anything special. I mean, almost everyone can do it :shrug:
I have found that EMH are fabulous at night with teens. There are hardly any families with small children left (due to the late hour) and the teens and tweens practically had the rides to themselves. They repeatedly got on TestTrack over and over. So I think it is dependent on age... IMHO, NonnaT

NonnaT

I don't think putting your kids in ziplock bags is a good idea.

Flashlights on dark rides - also not a good idea, if they are turned on. No flash bulbs/ flash lights are allowed on dark rides. If your kid is afraid of the dark, don't go on a dark ride!
Lol!

NonnaT

This is a great idea! However, I have one that's similar and improves on it. In law enforcement, we always suggested that parents go by the hospitals before leaving on vacation and ask the nurses very nicely if they could make them a few wristbands. On the wristband they'd list the child's name, telephone number, backup number, and any medical problems or allergies.

The idea was that if your kid wanders off a name and phone number might not be enough. What if he gets hurts while searching for you and the emergency workers don't have you there to let them know he's allergic to certain meds? Etc.

The biggest perk this has is that when a child is scared he might not remember or think to show the workers his shoe tag. This is especially true for younger children. However, with a medical wristband on, the worker will inevitably notice it because he or she will almost certainly hold your child's hand.

If your hospital is nice enough to do it for you (most will be) it's also free.

Just a tip! :wave:
Unfortunately most hospitals require you to be a patient to get a wrist band. Even our small community hospital nurses cannot overide the computer generated wristbands. :-(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom