Top Tips!!!

FamilyMagic

Original Poster
Over your many vacations spent at WDW or even if you've been just a couple of times, what are the tips you would give someone who is about to go?

I suggest:

1. Remember to wear tennis shoes (ones that are worn in- not brand new)

2. Take advantage of Early Morning Hours in the Parks

3. If you have a big family like I do don't always try to stay together, but make sure you take 1 good group photo before you leave!

4. My family calls them "squished pennies" and there are machines all around the park that you can get different ones. They are great to collect.

5. Packs are also useful to me and carry my sunglasses, $, etc.

micknut

In the summer months get in the parks when the open and then leave around lunch time then eat and go swimming or take a nap then have dinner and then go back in the parks around 6 pm thas when everyone that has been in the park all day decides to leave

WickedQueen22

Be flexible!

If you are tired, sleep in or leave a park early.
If it is supposed to rain on Animal Kingdom day then go somewhere else.

I don't know about you but I cannot enjoy myself with a rigid vacation. It's supposed to be FUN and RELAXING :)

PeoplemoverTTA

FamilyMagic said:
1. Remember to wear tennis shoes (ones that are worn in- not brand new)
The tennis shoe thing may work for you, but I know everyone in my family would be in agony in tennis shoes. Friends and relatives of mine who have been to WDW have suggested at various times: walking shoes, tennis shoes, flip flops (I can't image wearing flip flops for 12 hours, personally), crocs....it really depends on the person. I personally just tell people to wear their most comfortable shoes/sneakers.

I love my pack, fashion faux pas and all! When I was in college, I always dragged a heavy backpack around the parks, and once I switched to a pack, I seemed to do so much better in the parks, energy and sweat-wise - huge difference!

The one tip I share with people is to get up early and get to the parks when they open...that way you can hit major attractions, using short, opening lines and FP to do literally half a park before lunch (without rushing). Then, head back to the hotel around lunch time, beating the busiest crowd times (and hottest time) of the day. Take a nap, go for a dip in the pool, go to DTD, or better yet, just relax. Then, all nice and rested, head back to the parks around dinner time or just after. The people who stayed during the busy time and hottest parts of the day will be burned out and heading out of the park, leaving better queues and more reasonable weather for your well-rested family (while time of year can impact the difference in crowds a great deal, this tip really does apply 363 days per year...minus Christmas and Thanksgiving, when it's just chaotic :D).

Goofynana

Shoes - Our last trip, one of our family members wore flip flop type sandals - you should have seen the blisters everywhere the flip flopped - I would have never thought it - horrible - so be very careful with shoes - nothing is more miserable than blistered, sore feet!!
Leaving the parks when tired has always been hard for us - we just keep trudging forward - though I know you are correct - it is hard to leave - get on those darn busses again and get out of there - then come back- you just feel like you are missing everything!! With two babies this trip we will just have to do it I think - leave for a while then go back.:p

KristieLC

I have one that I may have picked up from here (sorry - can't remember exactly, but If I did - thanks to the person who posted originally). If you have small children there is always a chance that they can get lost. With the occasional pushing crowds, dark places, or just general lost in the moment, a child could easily get separated from a parent, no matter how careful they are. We picked up a small pet ID tag for $6 at petsmart and had it engraved with "I'm Lost. Call Daddy and his phone number. Each day we pointed out to my son where he could find "nice workers" that he could show the tag to and they would call us. We put the tag on his shoe lace every day. We didn't ever have to utilize it, but we felt better having it there as you just never know. I did notice a few places in the parks where they had Disney ID tags and they were only $10, so not much more than you would pay at a pet store if you want a Disney shape or design.

Monkeymama

Visit Kilimanjaro Safaris in the rain!!!

As a former safari driver, I am always defending this suggestion! Once the rains begin, everyone clears out of the safari line bc they think that the animals will "go in." It is actually the opposite! Safari drivers have to keep driving around the safari, even if their vehicle is empty. That is when the hippos are out and walking around, the rhinos are running and, best of all, the elephants are in the water, spraying and playing! It was always my FAVORITE time to go through. I suggest you give it a try! ;)

john.adam

I got these tips form another forum.

General Tips:

1. Wear shoes that are already broken in. You will do more walking and standing than you expect.
  2. If you are staying in a Disney Resort, read any material they leave in your room. During one of my stays, there was a piece of paper saying that due to expected crowds that Saturday, they were opening Disney-MGM Studios, Epcot, and Magic Kingdom at 7:30 a.m. to Disney Resort Guests. If I hadn't read it, I never would have known.
  3. Also if staying in a Disney Resort, open all the drawers. There are several free things for you to use, such as postcards and stationery.
  4. Bring lots of one dollar bills with you. Everyone who touches your luggage expects a tip (about $1 per bag).
  5. Buy Guest of Honor Badges for the kids in one of the parks. They have names on them and look similar to the badges worn by Cast Members (CM's). The CM's notice them and will often call your children by their names.
  6. When our family was at Disney in March, our 6 year old got to ride every ride in all the parks 2 times when we did the parent switch-off plan. He thought it was the coolest thing ever that his 4 year old brother didn't want to ride anything and therefore he got to ride everything twice. Another thing that we did that enabled our son to ride even more, was to get fast passes for all four of us even though we knew our 4 year old wouldn't ride. I would take our 6 year old, (with 2 of the passes) on the ride while my husband waited at a nearby beverage stand with the 4 year old. We would get off the ride and there was still enough time on the fast passes for my husband and our 6 year old to ride again with the other 2 passes. Between the parent switch-off and the fast passes, our 6 year old got more than his moneys worth. - Deno (6/00).
  7. FastPass - you can receive a second FastPass after a two-hour period - even if the time of your previous FastPass window hasn't opened up yet.
  8. FastPass - You can receive another FastPass at the start of your FastPass window.
  9. Buy park tickets in advance (The Disney Store, your hotel, travel agent, AAA) so you don't have to stand in line when you get there (and waste your precious vacation time).
  10. Go on rides during the parades.
  11. Make advanced dining reservations prior to leaving home. You have a better chance of getting hard-to-get restaurants).
  12. Book the Hoop-Dee-Doo Dinner Show. It's a hoot! I was able to get seats for this show 3 weeks before my August trip - and there were still more seats open at the show.
  13. Test Track - ride the singles line if you don't mind not sitting with your group. You'll save A LOT of time.
  14. When staying in a Disney resort, have the resort operator place local phone calls for you, including calls to other Disney resorts. This will save you about .75 per call on your room charge.
  15. Start a "trip-planning" notebook. Put section dividers in it. Print Disney restaurant menu's, information about resorts, attractions, tickets prices and options, etc.
  16. Ask for a late check out at your resort. It usually does not cost extra (it does not cost extra at a Disney Resort) and you may get to keep your room up to 2 hours longer.
  17. If you rent a stroller or wheelchair at the Disney parks, save your receipt. If you go to another Disney park that same day, just present your receipt to get another one at no additional charge.
  18. Don't assume that a reservationists knows more than you do. I called to make a reservation for one of the resort restaurants 120 days ahead. The operator told me that I had to call back when it was 60 days ahead. I almost hung up, but then asked if she was sure because I'd read that online. She said she'd try to put the reservation in the computer and see if it would go through, which it did. I caught the last table for that seating! submitted by reader Andrea
  19. Try to do the outdoor attractions in the morning, & save the indoor attractions & shows until the afternoon when it's hotter. This saves the kids complaining about not doing rides they want and how hot it is!
  20. Planning a trip to Disney World with others? Have a WDW party! Select a theme, such as Epcot, and have everyone bring a dish representing one of the countries in Epcot. Is it near Halloween? Have everyone dress as their favorite Disney character. That will give everyone going on your trip an opportunity to talk about the things they would like to do and see during the trip, and it will give you an opportunity to plan which priority seating arrangements you need to make.
  21. Buy the kids the tubes of mini m and m's. Save the tubes - the pennies and quarters will fit into these tubes so you always have change for the penny press machines. The change can also be saved in the containers for your film.
  22. Save your old Disney World guide books. Cut the characters and pictures out of the book and use them for decorating your scrapbook pages from your trip to Disney World.

John

3disprincesses

1st Timers

There is soooo much to do at Walt Disney World. You cannot possibly do everything unless you stay a month or more! Decide before leaving for the trip what each person in the group "must do" and enjoy everything else as a little something extra. Once you go for the first time, you will definately want to go back. There will always be something new to do on the next trip.

Almost everyone needs a little down time sometime during the trip. Sleep in occassionally, go back to the hotel for a swim and/or a nap. Please don't push your children to keep going. We all spend a lot of money for these trips but there is no sense in wearing everyone out to the point of children crying and parents screaming. It can ruin part of your vacation and makes it very unpleasant for the people around you listening to all the carrying on. It breaks my heart to see the Happiest Place on Earth turn in to the Most Miserable Place on Earth for children.

wvdisneyfamily

1. Use a clear backpack.
2. Put body glide on your feet.
3. Put baby powder in your shoes.
4. Buy pure water 2 go bottles.
5. Treat yourself to one special treat (signature dining, fireworks cruise, etc...).

missourimomx3

Tips

We just returned from a week at WDW, 12/25-1/1. Here are some things I learned.

1. Buy disposable rain ponchos at the dollar store (2/$1). They are small, pack well, and if you're lucky like we were, you won't need them!
2. If you are off property, or have a car, go to WalMart: pins to trade are $5; snacks to take in; T-shirts, etc are much cheaper.
3. Pack an insulated backpack (WalMart, $9) with cheese sticks, juice pouches, etc. Freeze a water bottle to use in it.
4. pouches for everyone. My kids carried their own camera, gum and DS games for the lines.
5. DS or gameboy system for line waiting. It saved hours of whining!
6. Rent a locker if you plan a long day. It is so worth it to store a sweatshirt, change of socks (a must) or backpacks when you don't need them.
7. Be very friendly to the CMs. They have lots of goodies: pins, stickers, surprise fast passes, etc.
8. Don't pass up a photo op, you may not be back by there.
9. Use the Photo Pass photogs, they will use your camera also.
10. Go to the Character Spot in EPCOT early, we got alot of autographs and pics.
11. Don't edit your photos on your digital camera until back at room, it eats batteries!

I have more, but later, if anyone is interested...
:sohappy:

WishIWasAtWDW

its all about planning ahead

be sure to have a game plan before you get to the parks. know which ride you are going to go on and in what order. it saves a lot of time! that way you won't all stand around and say "what ride do you want to go on next?" "i don't know. what do you want to go on?". pick a group leader who knows what everyone wants to do and let them lead the way. you will end up going on more rides, there will be less arguing and you will ultimately enjoy your trip more.

Mr D Duck

please oh please do not wear " packs" (you yanks have no idea how hilarious that is to us Brits) -they should be banned. Shorts with lots of zipped pockets are far superior.
Pick up a show schedule early on and be sure to start hitting shows early (this only really applies to DHS) to avoid the all too common pitfall of getting toward the end of the day and missing the last available performance of one show because you were still stuck in another.
On that note, be sure to arrive 15-30 minutes early before most shows and factor in 5-10 minutes extra after the show is supposed to end to allow for exiting the theatre, often a logisitical nightmare, (particularly at LMA) and to re-group with your party. A half-hour show can easily consume an hour of your day!

scheat

That's mean Benny!

Just a suggestion of what we do on our final day if you have park hoppers. We LAZILY(not commando like)take a farewell tour of each park using Disney transportation and ride our favorite ride in each park 1-2 times.

We start out by bussing to AK, then bus to DHS, then take boat ride to EPCOT and monorail to MK. There's usually just 3-4 of us so it works really well and everyone loves it. We pick somewhere to have lunch and dinner in the parks and end up watching Wishes with tears in our eyes as we head back to the room.

I could see this being a bad idea for a large group or with lots of youngsters, but for a small party, it really works nice.

During the transportation part of the day we talk about the next trip and it takes the sting out of it being the last day.

Certainly wouldn't work for everyone, but I kind of look forward to this day now.

Tinkerbella16

I found that using a lanyard with the FP/park ticket/room key holder on it was fantastic!!! It really helped when getting my park ticket out many times during each day for park entry, fastpasses, EMH, and getting into the room. I would recommend these to anyone!

I also have a plan to ride TSM since the line gets outrageous very early in the day. Get to the park if you can, before opening. Get to the ride and get FP's, hop in the stand-by line, and you'll be able to walk right on. You will be able to ride twice that day. It worked great for us since FP's were gone by 11am, and the stand-by line by Noon was 100mins long.

:D

bennyw01

talking about re-hydrating your self, when staying in a disney resort or going to a water park always invest in a disney soda cup, you get unlimited supply of soft drinks, it keeps your drinks cool and portable also it makes a good souvenier for the years to come. nothing like sitting at home on the couch drinking out of your beloved wilderness lodge party cup

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom