A Spirited Perfect Ten

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And so long as the numbers look good -- and Disney's look great (unless you really CHOOSE to take some of them apart) -- there is nothing to be gained for any analyst to not be a de facto PR rep. I know folks who do this too!

If someone calls Disney from NYC and wants to ask Bob or Tom questions about Shanghai, then Zenia is going to get very nasty and remind them of that week at the Grand Flo last summer with the plaid waiting in the lobby to backdoor them onto any/everything and all the free stuff waiting every day when they returned. And those questions will go unanswered ...
I agree 100%. With the current success of the stock it's unlikely that many analysts would have the stones to actually come out and be too critical. The stock market is really only based partially on fundamentals. The rest is still a popularity contest and TWDC is the financial equivalent of the homecoming queen right now.

I also think that they are probably getting a lot more questions on ESPN and the TV networks then P&R right now. The whole Shanghai project does seem to be flying under the radar despite the fact that Iger/Staggs keep hyping it up themselves.

truecoat

So what happens when someone finally shoots someone over the South China Sea? Seems US Sino relations are headed south.

I've read an article or two about very aggressive maneuvers by Chinese pilots. WAr fever, partly because it's been awhile since China has had a major conflict and the current group don't know it's best to avoid it.

Cesar R M

People that constantly reply with Memes or GIFs should encapsulate them in the spoiler tag so we do not have to see them.
why? It "triggers" you?
it "rustles your jimmies" as they say online?

Apparently Disneyland planning for the worst case scenario was not quite "the worst case"....
should they plan for "armageddon" or "Apocalypse" type events then?

Cesar R M

What about #hashtags?
It depends.. you know...
hashtags have their job. like on twitter, tumblr..etc..instagram...

but using them on a forum? for what? thats dumb!
or on facebook? what for? .

or overusing them for attention( or fooling search systems) is annoying too.
I've seen many people who add tags that have nothing to do with the posted content. So they attract attention from areas that would never reach before. aka a flat out lie.

Cesar R M

I honestly don’t know why they didn’t expect more. MiceChat reported last year the Disneyland Resort had 122,000 people attend the rock your Disney side 24 hour event and they didn’t expect more people than that with all of the 60th offerings and heavily promoting the event? Several local TV and radio stations were either broadcasting live or had reports from Disneyland. It’s baffling that they expected to have the same number of people as last years event with everything that is going on.
Agree..
the parade + new fireworks + 60th celebration.. and they expect the same numbers as a "normal" 24 hour party?
nope nope nope!

the.dreamfinder

Cesar R M

I'd never heard of the guy until all the Avatarland threads started here. Then it was explained that he also did Titanic in 1997, and I said "Oh."

Go down to your local Target or Toys R Us big box store. Try and find anything Avatar related. Avatar merchandise doesn't exist because there's no demand for that product. Star Wars exists in big box stores, so does Potter and Cars and Princesses and Marvel and Frozen. But not Avatar.

And there's also my semi-famous annual Halloween tally. In my Villa Park, California neighborhood full of trick or treaters (I go through at least three big bowls of candy every year), I have never seen anyone dressed up as anyone from Pandora. Ever.

That's the part that worries me about WDW putting all this money and focus on Avatarland. There's no market for that product at the nations big box stores, and free consumers choosing to be their favorite character on Halloween never choose someone from Pandora. Quite simply, Avatar is not a thing.

And yet WDW is planning for Avatarland to be this huge driver of attendance and attention. Did no one on the planning team go down to Target to see what the demand was like? Does Bob Iger not answer his own door on Halloween? It's not rocket science; Avatar is not a thing. :confused:
James Cameron did more than just "titanic" and Avatar.
the guy has a giant collection of top movies.
From aliens, terminator to deep sea documentaries.

reminds me.. he is rumoured to do Battle angel Alita.

AEfx

Theme Park Insider has more details, including the proposed pricing calendar.
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201505/4581/

That is completely frakking insane.

A 7-day "gold" ticket with park hopping would cost over $650, PLUS tax, so almost $700. That's about $270 bucks more than the same thing costs you today.

Before I figure out if I am going to barf out of disgust or laugh at the insanity...

1) Is it me, or for many years wasn't the complaint that a WDW vacation was too complicated? Yet, everything that seems to be coming out of them is trying to complex it up to ridiculous levels only a Disney Mom would love?

2) I don't give a turd if "sporting events" have done things like this. Part of the attraction of a Disney vacation for many is the "pay one price" and then not to have to worry about it. Now? The structure makes little sense - does the park hopper not include MK? What if you buy a week's worth of "non-MK" tickets and then use the PH? I've seen tax charts less complex.

3) I have to wonder - are the idiots who put out the surveys really so stupid as to not think it would instantly get out like this, or was this intentional to give folks time to get used to the idea before they roll it out?

Messing further with the pricing structure is really going to hurt WDW. The most common reason I hear folks not going is because they go to the Disney website and they basically make it seem like there is no choice but to stay on-site, the second most common thing I hear is admission - even at current prices, if you are bringing 4 or 5 people, admission becomes an enormous cost. Making it even more nickel and dime as well as the obvious hike is just going to turn even more folks off.

My last thought is...if WDW is doing so darn well, spending is up, the place is doing great - supposedly - is that really the time to consider something like this? Of course, because they truly believe that they are evergreen, and there is no competition out there. Over-confidence to it's extreme. The Romans didn't see it coming, either.

AEfx

It seems they may be searching for policies that can eventually level off the attendance to be close to the same year-round.

Which really will never work because most average folks really can't be that flexible with vacations.

It's too bad they wouldn't stop artificially mucking with everything to continue "making do" with what they have, incrementally reducing the value of everyone's vacation, and instead, I dunno, build new stuff for guests to do instead of junk like this or FP+ who's purpose is to drive folks to the lesser attractions. Wouldn't it be great if they made all attractions up to par, so folks would naturally want to see them all?

AEfx

Serious issues of a psych nature. But Mommy and Daddy are loaded (they used to work in the music industry and could move their special boy to Celebration) and they don't seem to be getting him the help he needs. It really isn't a joke.

I still have no idea who this fool is, but after the statement posted here I am indeed convinced he is a complete joke.

Your post makes me think of what an older relative of mine who used to say, "There is a fine line between eccentric/kooky and crazy - a line drawn by the number of digits in your bank account balance."

TP2000

Many years before the Spirit arrived at LaughingPlace.com Jim Disney used to be one of the original group of regular posters. It's been so many years, I didn't know that his website was still around or what its current profile is.

I feel old.

Oh my gosh. I remember a Jim Disney on Laughingplace.com back around 1999-2000. I had no idea that was the same guy who now does the westcoaster site. I don't just feel old, I am old.

TP2000

The Toontown/SW/pyro issues are tiny compared to the issues brought up when UNI decided to build Potter in the original park and connect them via the Hogwart's Express.

Seems to me there's more than enough space back there for Star Wars Land.

You've got Toontown, next to the Circle D facility where they keep the park's horses and goats and birds, which is adjacent to the underused Festival Arena, petting zoo, and the Big Thunder BBQ restaurant. Toontown is kind of lame, and no one under the age of 30 knows or cares who Roger Rabbit is. The horse ranch can be moved off property and the horses can be trucked in for Main Street USA duty, if the PETA folks don't shut that ride down within the next two or three years. Ask the horse-drawn carriage drivers in Central Park how that went for them.

This photo below also loops in the outdoor Fantasyland Theater, although I don't think you need that much room. If the entrance to Star Wars Land was where Big Thunder Ranch is now, and by the time you got north of the railroad tracks you were inside a massive show building or series of buildings, you could have a contained Star Wars Land that was impervious to fireworks fallout, and rain, and allows you to create your own indoor environment a la' Little Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySea.

It's a massive chunk of the park available back there.
6NmFmAC.jpg

Last edited:

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Seems to me there's more than enough space back there for Star Wars Land.

You've got Toontown, next to the Circle D facility where they keep the park's horses and goats and birds, which is adjacent to the underused Festival Arena, petting zoo, and the Big Thunder BBQ restaurant. Toontown is kind of lame, and no one under the age of 30 knows or cares who Roger Rabbit is. The horse ranch can be moved off property and the horses can be trucked in for Main Street USA duty, if the PETA folks don't shut that ride down within the next two or three years. Ask the horse-drawn carriage drivers in Central Park how that went for them.

This photo below also loops in the outdoor Fantasyland Theater, although I don't think you need that much room. If the entrance to Star Wars Land was where Big Thunder Ranch is now, and by the time you got north of the railroad tracks you were inside a massive show building or series of buildings, you could have a contained Star Wars Land that was impervious to fireworks fallout, and rain, and allows you to create your own indoor environment a la' Little Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySea.

It's a massive chunk of the park available back there.
6NmFmAC.jpg

If you eliminate the ranch and animal support, where are you going to keep the street car horses?

I am all for saying adios to Toon Town...(maybe not roger)... Videopolis is under-utilized but stage areas in the 2 parks is limited...DLR is not like WDW when it comes to meet and greets and stage shows....

The area you marked is large.... So is tomorrowland.... They have some choices to make in California....

*1023*

hopemax

Can I be the first to suggest this pricing nonsense is a result of pressure from FP+? :devilish:

I will postulate that the capacity/availability pressures, that everyone with a brain predicted, are causing "issues." In order for FP+ to work in the way the executives THOUGHT it would work there has to be availability (and no, being able to reserve a ride for a "party of 1" the day before, is not real availability, nor require people with larger parties to refresh for days and days). This midnight, 60 days in advance for some stuff/tiering/day off limitations (while forum peeps don't seem to see the issue) and the anxiety/stress that it creates (real or imagined) has to be of concern. And it's a problem that as more people learn what is necessary, the worse it gets. Since this is supposed to be an answer to all those theme park woes, it's a big problem.

It's for this reason, that I'm not able to dismiss the idea of it coming to HKDL completely. It would actually work really well at a park that is slightly more busy than what it sounds like HKDL is. Knowing that you can reserve a specific ride at a specific time can be useful (like your favorites in the middle of the day, when its busiest, even if it's only a 30 min line), but the park isn't so busy to generate instantaneous sellouts, and everything doesn't run out at 2PM. Putting into HKDL would actually probably help people better visualize what the issues are, and why it doesn't work at WDW. The problem with FP+ is that it works best, where it's not actually needed (also why I think it works the best at AK because visitor levels/attraction popularity distribution/capacity are in better balance.)

Since the introduction of FP+, CM blockout dates have been significantly increased, which was probably step 1 in trying to control demand. I think they've been doing everything they can to try to increase the amount of FP+ they can distribute, and it's still not enough. I suspect MK, especially, is under real operational stress as more people think it's the primary place for "value" (while the Studios suffers) for people who can't plan in advance, or can only go 1-2 days, and so now they need to do something radical to try and drive people away from what is jam-packed to what they think is not (and PhotoDave correctly points out, there really isn't much "shifting" they can do). And price is the tool of choice, well, the only one they are allowed to wield.

Somewhere, someone thinks this is a great problem to have, but continues to blind them to the underlying issue - the parks were never designed with this type of guest flow in mind. They introduced a major operational change and now are scrambling to deal with the consequences.

I just wonder what this will do to AP prices. Because it seems like the first thing forum-type people think. "If 7 days is going to cost THAT much, I might as well buy an AP, and then next year, I'll visit the week before it expires, and "save" the money from buying tickets a 2nd time." I don't know...this seems like a really good way to get people to limit the number of days they spend at WDW, when they've invested so much in trying to increase Length of Stay and keep people on property. Buying 6 or 7 days would come at a real cost, since then all days have to be bought at the higher rate. It seems like this opens the door to, we'll spend our weekends doing something else, and then go to Disney for 2, 3, 4 days during the week.

TP2000

If you eliminate the ranch and animal support, where are you going to keep the street car horses?

I am all for saying adios to Toon Town...(maybe not roger)... Videopolis is under-utilized but stage areas in the 2 parks is limited...DLR is not like WDW when it comes to meet and greets and stage shows....

The area you marked is large.... So is tomorrowland.... They have some choices to make in California....

*1023*

The horses can go off property, 10 blocks away or 5 miles away, wherever is convenient for Disney. The horses are already being trucked down to Main Street USA backstage to the entry behind City Hall from the Circle D facility. If the ranch moves off property, the horses still get in a trailer pulled by a truck for every shift, but they have a 15 or 30 minute drive instead of a 5 minute drive.

Lots of support facilities and services that were historically "backstage" at Disneyland were moved off property in the 1990's when Disneyland Drive and the parking structure came to life and TDA was built. There's no need for the horses to be just north of Big Thunder Ranch for the streetcars to work on Main Street USA. And again, I'd bet two churros that PETA trains its sites on the horsedrawn streetcars within a year or two, now that cities are bowing to their pressure by banning horse carriages for tourist use.

Last month animal-right activists announced they were going after Knott's Berry Farm for their stagecoach ride. The clock is ticking on Disney's horsedrawn streetcars.

If the ranch moves, the other thing that would go would be the daily Running Of The Goats however, when the Thunder Ranch petting zoo closes for the day and the goats (and a couple sheep) run backstage for dinner.

That would be a shame to lose that charming Disneyland legacy.

But if it means you get a kick-butt Star Wars Land instead, I won't miss the Running Of The Goats that much. Maybe in Episode VII we learn there were goats on Tatooine?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom