Trip Report The 8 Year Joke

Hey all! I have waited so long to post this thread, but we're less than a month away from our trip so I thought it would be okay to open this up.

My name is Randi, and my Girl Scout troop and I, as well as my family, are going to Disney World this June! This trip is partially powered by cookie money (that's right, your Thin Mints are my vacation).

The very idea of this trip has been years and years in the making. Whenever my troop of four (including me) were asked what we wanted to do with the money we raised by selling cookies, one of us would always say "hey, let's go to Disney World!". Well it has been 8 years (hence the thread title) and we're finally making it happen!

Because we're Girl Scouts, we'll also be volunteering at Give Kids the World twice over the course of this trip.
If you don't know about Give Kids The World, they are a fantastic group that runs a sort of village resort that allows children with terminal illnesses and their families to stay there for free and do things like Disney World and Universal, also for free. Here's a link to their website if you want to check it out! https://www.gktw.org/

I also thought it might be cool to document some of the planning and such we are doing to get ready for this trip, in case any of you are looking at doing the same thing for a group of some sort.

Two thirds of our trip is military, so we'll be staying at Shades of Green! This is my absolute favorite hotel in the world. The staff are lovely and the hotel is gorgeous, and the food is wonderful. I haven't been in something like six or seven years so I'm really excited to come back!

It has been so much fun getting ready for this trip and I'm excited to document it!

LisaBelle

Very exciting! Congratulations on reaching your goal. Can't wait to read about your time volunteering at Give the Kids the World. I will be following along.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hey all! I have waited so long to post this thread, but we're less than a month away from our trip so I thought it would be okay to open this up.

My name is Randi, and my Girl Scout troop and I, as well as my family, are going to Disney World this June! This trip is partially powered by cookie money (that's right, your Thin Mints are my vacation).

The very idea of this trip has been years and years in the making. Whenever my troop of four (including me) were asked what we wanted to do with the money we raised by selling cookies, one of us would always say "hey, let's go to Disney World!". Well it has been 8 years (hence the thread title) and we're finally making it happen!

Because we're Girl Scouts, we'll also be volunteering at Give Kids the World twice over the course of this trip.
If you don't know about Give Kids The World, they are a fantastic group that runs a sort of village resort that allows children with terminal illnesses and their families to stay there for free and do things like Disney World and Universal, also for free. Here's a link to their website if you want to check it out! https://www.gktw.org/

I also thought it might be cool to document some of the planning and such we are doing to get ready for this trip, in case any of you are looking at doing the same thing for a group of some sort.

Two thirds of our trip is military, so we'll be staying at Shades of Green! This is my absolute favorite hotel in the world. The staff are lovely and the hotel is gorgeous, and the food is wonderful. I haven't been in something like six or seven years so I'm really excited to come back!

It has been so much fun getting ready for this trip and I'm excited to document it!
Following. Always a scouting supporter, BSA or GSA. Hope you all have an amazing trip and can't wait to read about it!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
Thank you all!

So as a kind of way to count down for this trip, I decided to watch every Disney animated film in chronological order (don't worry, I decided this months ago, I definitely haven't been sitting in front of my computer for hours on end watching movies). I get one skip per decade and Pixar and any direct to DVD or video movies don't count. So today was....
lilo-and-stitch-poster.jpg

I watched this movie on loop so many times when I was younger so it was super weird watching it now that I'm older.

It's been really neat to go back and find new favorites though. Like, I forgot how much I absolutely love Hunchback of Notre Dame (I'm a really big Hugo fan, I've read Les Miserables two or three times) and both Fantasias.

Unfortunately, this post also comes with come bad news. Our group had a bit of a communication breakdown and didn't get our volunteer applications in at Give Kids the World in time, so we aren't going to get to help out there. A small note, their website is definitely a little bit in need of a redesign, it's super hard to navigate.

I personally am still planning on donating some money their way, but I'm also looking around for other volunteer stuff to possibly pull together last minute. If any of you guys have any ideas, please let me know!

We're two weeks away from leaving and it's all really starting to come together! I've taken the liberty of planning this trip so my parents can sit back and relax. We're booking fastpasses and we've booked our ADRs (that's another post) and I'm so excited!

sheriffwoody

That's such a fun way to countdown! I might have to steal that. I've been watching a lot of Disney movies while I edit photos lately, but I hadn't thought of doing them in order. Love it!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
It's definitely been really interesting! It's so weird to go back and watch movies that you loved as a kid with an older perspective.

LisaBelle

Love your countdown idea. We don't have a trip planned yet, so maybe we will just use your idea to keep the blues away while we hope for our next WDW vacation.

BJones82

I forgot how much I absolutely love Hunchback of Notre Dame

absoluetely!! I love this movie too and I had forgotten about it until a random blizzard a year or two ago when I stayed in and binge watched Disney movies on Netflix:) Absolutely love it :)

This is a fun way to countdown to your trip :)

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
Four days to go! Today I finished....
Wreckitralphposter.jpeg

In other good news, we will get to help out at Give Kids the World! We worked it out and it's happening! I'll be helping out at their pizza place, which involves driving a golf cart, so I'm down.

It's been a really long time since my family has taken a long vacation to anywhere, much less Disney World. Having to plan for my family and also do all the Girl Scout stuff with my troop has been really stressful, and at this point, I'm ready to just get in the car and go. I'm still excited about going and having a great time, but these last few days cannot be cured by any countdown, lol.
We've got to get packed up, get our tires and brakes checked out, just to be sure, and finalize all of our volunteer stuff.

Just to kill some time, here are our ADR's.
First day we're there we're gonna do Animal Kingdom in the morning (my family has never been on the Safari there, I don't know why), take a break at the hotel, and then head over to Magic Kingdom and do the Wishes Dessert party! I'm super excited about this, because my family has always had a terrible time finding a spot for Wishes, also because dessert!
Then for our Hollywood studios Day, my family is having dinner at Mama Melrose, because it's their favorite over there, and me and the rest of the Girl Scout troop are going over to Sci-fi, because it sounds pretty cool. I totally love the premise of the place, I was raised on kitschy sci-fi movies.
On our full Magic Kingdom day, we're having breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table before the park opens! This was our biggest request from one of the girls in my troop, who has never been to Disney before. We're all beyond excited though.

The troop is also Disney bounding for our day Magic Kingdom. I'm doing Ariel, and we've got a Jasmine, a Belle, and A Rapunzel, as well as my little sister doing Alice. I finally found green pants that are not radioactive looking to use for Ariel, and I just need to make them into shorts and I'll be done! I do a lot of cosplay stuff so to do an "almost" costume has been really easy for me.

The days cannot go fast enough!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
It is with great pleasure that I can switch this Trip Report over to In Progress! In mere hours we'll be on the road. Will keep you all posted!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
Aloha from the Poly! Just had a wonderful tonga toast breakfast and about to head back to Shades of Green for a day off.
Yesterday we volunteered at Give Kids The World, which was amazing. Super well organized, wonderful staff, and all of the guests were really polite and sweet.
The day before was our first park day! We spent the morning at Animal Kingdom and the evening at Magic Kingdom.
So we tried to catch a showing of Festival of the Lion King while in AK and things were going smoothly until the bit with the monkeys. I guess one if them was injured, so they walked him off. So we waited a few minutes to see what was up and they announced the show was cancelled. I guess they don't do swings at Disney shows.
Other than that it was a great time at Animal Kingsom. Had a great lunch at Yak and Yeti, and a fantastic safari.
Layer that night we went over to MagicKingdom for the Wishes dessert party and a last ride on Pirates before it closes for a while. Liked the dessert party but I don't know if it is must do material. Pirates wasn't in great shape, but hey, I knew that.
More in depth stuff later, I'm gonna go catch a nap.

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
Well, we're back! We had a wonderful time and there's so much to recap! It'll take a while but I'll get started today.

So there was a rainbow as we were leaving town, which was pretty neat. I'll find a picture soon.
11392945_871623636218149_7097792664073782375_n.jpg

This is the crew. (That's me in the stripes)
We were having a pretty fun car ride down until I get a call from my dad, who was riding with my mom and sister separately, saying he forgot the tickets. We weren't that far from home, so they went back to go get them, but it was still a little scary. It's super funny now though.

So were supposed to stay in a pretty decent motel that night, but we got there and it was literally the sketchiest place on Earth. We stayed for all of forty five minutes before deciding to try our luck elsewhere.
11401372_871623582884821_4142373309206979319_n.jpg

For real.
Anyway, we got moved into a Hilton Garden for pretty cheap because my dad is an honors member, since he travels a lot for work. Then it was time to get back on the road!
11424449_871623586218154_6608370312752758139_n.jpg

My little sister's face upon waking up and realizing we would be at Disney World by the end of the day.
After many many hours of driving, we arrived at Shades of Green!
11402804_10152856496626889_4089092299801192214_n.jpg

we took the time to chill out for a little bit, decompress from the road, and then we went over to Downtown Disney for dinner! It was so interesting to see all of the changes being made and all the cool new places. We had a delicious meal over at Earl of Sandwhich, which was fantastic.
11227038_871623642884815_6208496725568708839_n.jpg

And then we shopped around for a little bit and got our tickets activated. The CMs over at Guest Relations were all super accommodating and unfailingly helpful. Hats off to them!

DisSplash

Love your report!! I was a Girl Scout for 12 years (my mom was my leader the whole time) and so I can appreciate a good Girl Scout road trip! (Drove cross country to AZ from PA, and later while living in AZ, we did a wider opportunity to San Diego which was pretty cool). But it looks like you had the Holy Grail of a road trip with Walt Disney World as your destination!!!

We do SoG a lot as well and I really like that hotel as it is surprisingly close to all of the magic!!

Can't wait to hear more from you!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
Thank you so much! And yeah, I will never under estimate Shades of Green ever, it's so close to everything!

Alright, day 1 of Parks! We spent the morning and early afternoon at Animal Kingdom, and then we headed over to Magic Kingdom for the Wishes dessert party and a few rides, including Pirates before it went down for refurb.

So we got up pretty early and caught the bus to Animal Kingdom. Animal Kingdom has notriously been my family's least favorite park, but after this trip nobody can really remember why, because we had a really wonderful time there! My scout troop ended up leaving earlier than my family wanted to get out of bed, since we had a pretty adventurous trip to the hotel, so we got to sleep in a little, and met up with them later.

We had grabbed some breakfast at the hotel and sat just outside the ticket gate, just enjoying the morning, when we saw a few cast members leading Chip, Dale, And Rafikki out for meet and greets! It was such a neat surprise.
Anyway, we took the time to stroll around and explore. I'm a notorious weenie about rides (I flipped out the first time I went on Haunted Mansion and the doom buggy reclined), so roller coasters being off the table, Animal Kingdom has never really had much appeal for me ride-wise, and my little sister can only do so much, which is probably why we never really hang out at AK. But just getting to take in all the scenery and look at all the cool exhibits and such was surprisingly fun!

11424461_10152858304356889_8138040695511890753_n.jpg

Also, (prepare yourselves), we'd never done the safari there. So needless to say, that was what our first fastpass was for. We met up with the troop outside the entrance and made our way to the jeeps! Our driver's name was Joe, and he did a pretty good job.

I literally cannot fathom why we never did this before, it was so much fun! We were lucky enough to have booked it for pretty early in the morning so a lot of the animals were up and active.

11351139_10152858303871889_5277382624656403974_n.jpg

I did a really big report on Okapi for my zoology class at school, so getting to see them was a pretty big deal.

After our wonderful safari, we did some wandering, checked out a few of trails, and treated ourselves to the first of many Dole Whips.
11147869_871623682884811_4059368953025818781_n.jpg

Found a hidden Mickey at Tamu Tamu!
11407000_871623656218147_1539682167962879799_n.jpg

Just before this, we had gone to a showing of Festival of the Lion King, easily one of our favorite things at AK. All was going well until the monkey's routine. One of them had been injured in the opening sequence and had to be helped off the stage by fellow monkeys. We waited around for a little bit, and then it was promptly announced that the show had been cancelled :( I'm assuming they didn't have a swing or understudy for our injured monkey. I hope everyone was okay, and actor safety definitely matters more than audience satisfaction, but it was a little disappointing.
Anyway, after our Dole Whip stop off, my family decided they wanted to do Kali and my Girl Scout troop had gone off to Expedition Everest and Dinosaur, two rides that I can't handle, so I decided to find a seat and relax while my family went on Kali. My mom graciously gave me a little money to buy a drink and they went to go get on the ride. Having never been given free rein to wander around a park before, it was a pretty fun time. I chatted with the Australian CM who rang me up for a snack and a drink and wandered around Asia. It's such a beautiful section of a stunning park, there's so much to see! That little taste definitely made me wonder what going to the parks alone would be like. I think I'd be willing to try it when I'm older.

After some shopping, I found a neat little bike taxi seat and watched some monkeys for a little while. It was super relaxing and a great mid-day break. My family, freshly soaked from Kali, found me and were pretty surprised at my luck in scoring the best seat in the house.
11425212_872719092775270_8698863276218501705_n.jpg

( I feel like I don't look very happy in this picture, but trust me I am).

It was about this time that we were all ready for lunch. Having heard many wonderful things about Yak and Yeti, we stopped in for lunch. And boy, you guys were not wrong, it was one of the best meals we had all week!

First of all, I was amazed at all the cool art pieces and theming around the restaurant. The staff were all nice and helpful with recommendations (Shout out to Ron!). We were seated in less than ten minutes (and it was pretty busy), but we didn't feel rushed to finish or anything. It was seriously delicious. I'm definitely missing those cream cheese honey wanton things.
11390321_871623689551477_4222302539193954079_n.jpg

Afterwards, we went over to meet Pocahontas!
11537810_872719046108608_7316597347040111819_n.jpg

I had made Keiran an autograph book with some of her favorite Disney stuff collaged together on the covers. One of the things that made it into the design was this lovely illustration.
disney_babes_by_knightjj-d6masig.jpg

So Keiran gets to the front of the line and Pocahontas notices this little incident. It led to a pretty interesting conversation! (Side note, this is from the Art of Kinght JJ! They can be found on Tumblr and other stuff. They have lots of wonderful Disney comics and art!).

We were about ready for a break at this point, so my family decided to go back to the hotel for a short nap and dip in the pool before our dessert party reservations that night. I'm a firm believer in the mid-day nap plan.

After a much needed rest, we caught the monorail from the Polynesian (loved having that around) and went over the MK! This is my family's favorite park and we always start and end our trips there.

Unfortunately, there was a little ticket mishap when we got there. So we had to make a pitstop at guest relations and get that worked out before we could get into the park. I cannot stress how amazing every single CM we met was this trip. Like for real, they were all great.

My family met up with the troop and first things first, we all signed up for Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom! This game turned out to be a total blast and I highly recommend it. Our full MaGic Kingdom day got pretty crowded in the afternoon and it was fun to just hang out and play Sorcerer's while all the waits were too long.

Our first ride of the evening was Jungle Cruise! It was so funny to go from Kilimanjaro to the campy fun of the Cruise. Our skipper was Ismael and he was the best, definitely my favorite skipper I've ever had. There were some new jokes I'd never heard before, and everything on the ride looked great!

Soon after, it was time for the dessert party! There are some boxes and scrims up around the castle, so we missed bits of the projection show, but it was great to see Wishes from the terrace!
11427161_871623732884806_1736938819955391529_n.jpg

I don't know if I would to the party again, but it was a lot of fun.

After we were sufficiently sugar high (and it was truly ridiculous how much sugar had been consumed between all of us), it was time to say good night to Pirates, as it would be closed down for the remainder of our trip. We had tried to catch a boat before the party, but in true modern fashion, it had broken down for a while.

I have heard some horror stories about the state of Pirates, but it was actually working pretty well from what I could see (which may be the point). I was super pumped to see the mermaid projections, because I had a childhood fascination with mermaids (that will definitely play a part later).

After saying goodnight to George, our last ride of the evening was Haunted Mansion, my very favorite ride in all of the parks. I thought the new effects were really neat and it was the perfect way to top off the night.

So that was day 1! The next day was our day to help out at Give Kids the World, so that will be the next post! Thank you all for the sweet words and comments, this forum was instrumental in making this trip amazing!

Until next time!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
When taking a Girl Scout trip, we usually pick a place, and then find something either educational or service related to do while we're there. Disney World having been on the table for a long time, we struggled initially finding a place to do some good deeds.
Give Kids The World, as I mentioned earlier, is a resort village that gives kids suffering from life threatening illnesses and their families a free week long stay, and free tickets to Disney, Universal, and other area attractions.
I honestly didn't really know what to expect. I knew I'd be working in food service, nothing I'm not used to, but that was about it.
My family would be taking the day off to chill out, and in the evening we would be heading over to Cocoa beach to go visit the beach and the single greatest pizza restaurant on the face of the planet (for real).
So my troop and I headed out to the village, all a little tired, all a little nervous.
The nerves were completely unfounded.
The staff were very helpful, all very well organized. We were going to be working in their cafe', one of the girls working their pizza counter (Caky), another taking orders for delivery (Amanda), and me behind the salad bar (that was a lot more fun than it sounds). Our leader (Mendy) and her daughter (Rebekah) were bussing tables and helping people carry stuff and such, and Cosette was working their carousel for a few hours.
I secretly had the very ridiculous fear that this place would be a little grim, a little sad. Not true at all, it's very upbeat, the families were all very gracious, polite, and obviously having a very good time. It was honestly one of the coolest things I've ever done.
Give Kids the World goes for the Disney approach in that you're a cast member, and when you go take your breaks, you're backstage, and some other stuff like that. It was kind of neat. There were also quite a few college program alums or otherwise former and present cast members from Disney there, which I thought was very sweet.
We worked a double shift, and it really flew by.
11377294_10152859497216889_3823342638553825173_n.jpg

17677_10152859497181889_1340225885391939274_n.jpg

11401540_10152859497136889_3804101370448499930_n.jpg

(I was way too short for this job) (But don't tell them that).
11403463_10152859497281889_47798332017576542_n.jpg

After we were done working, we were allowed to explore the village and check out the going's on.
Give Kids the World's mascot is Mayor Clayton, a rather geeky bunny. They have a sweet little playhouse with tiny furniture and everything for him.
11406948_871623742884805_1521930664124834433_n.jpg

11390372_871624029551443_5411381129178084737_n.jpg

11425130_871624132884766_988228658791558621_n.jpg

We took a group picture of just our troop before we left.
11393232_10152859497016889_5076722674795706575_n.jpg

After that, we went back over to the hotel, where my family was ready to make the forty five minutes or so to Cocoa Beach!
My dad worked with the space shuttle program for quite some time (he works for NASA), so we're very familiar with Cocoa. I've been lucky enough to see two space shuttle launches, and on one occasion, a landing. During our many visits, we found the aforementioend greatest pizza place on the planet. Anacapri pizza was happenstance find on our first vacation to the space coast, and we've made a point of going back anytime we are anywhere near there.
1795654_873113386069174_5195481003311174457_n.jpg

True to tradition, it was just as delicious as we remembered. Seriously, if you're ever in Cocoa, eat here, you won't be disappointed.
11407144_873113389402507_5470306580006414410_n.jpg

I got a calzone. Another note, everything served here is HUGE so make sure to plan accordingly (I had the rest of this for lunch the next day).

After our delicious dinner, we went over to the beach for a little bit. It was getting dark, but that also meant it wasn't nearly so hot or crowded, so it worked out well for us.

It was a fantastic way to end a great day. Working at GKTW was definitely a highlight of the trip, I can't recommend it enough.
Next up: A day off, some Downtown Disney stuff, and then Magic Kingdom!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
So after two hectic days at the World, and two even more hectic driving days, it was time for a day off.

We woke up that morning and headed over to the Poly for something I personally had been looking forward to for quite a while: Tonga Toast!
I'm definitely a little bit of a foodie and I'd heard so many good things about this stuff.
Fortunately it did not disappoint!
10259754_871624349551411_2867720669063094501_n.jpg

Unfortunately, the air conditioning at Captain Cooks was definitely out. It was pretty darn hot with everyone in there and everything.
Anyway, after a good breakfast, we rode the monorail loop for a little while, just hanging out.
I really needed a day to sleep and chill out after everything we'd already done, so most of the troop and my family packed it up and headed out to Typhoon Lagoon, while me and my dad stayed at the hotel room to catch up on sleep.
I have a pretty chronic anxiety disorder, so doing big stuff like Disney World and such can be pretty hard for me. I really have to take it slow and take the time to chill out or risk being a total wreck. I'm pretty lucky to have extremely understanding friends and family that make that happen.
This trip was honestly a lesson in taking the break. I was worried that we weren't going to be able to get all that we wanted to do in if we took the mid-day nap, but having everyone be reasonably well rested and sane was a true blessing. And even with breaks and naps, we still managed to do all of the stuff that was important to my family.
After a wonderful morning and afternoon spent doing nothing, my GS troop decided to grab some dinner at Downtown Disney. I was feeling up to it, so off we went.
I actually used to work on a food truck, so I was pretty excited to try the trucks set up at Downtown Disney with the food from the different parks. I picked the Chicken Waffles from the Magic Kingdom truck. They were okay. I liked the chicken and waffles by themselves but not necessarily together. Their waffle fries were delicious though! In hindsight, I wish i'd gone for something more adventurous, but hey, whatever.
We looked around for a while. The new Superhero store is really neat, but oh my gosh, WAY too small. There was no room to move around at all. They had some pretty neat stuff though.
We went over to the other side of DTD to go get some pins and such. I'll probably never get tried of going into World of Disney.
11392776_871624412884738_8670925313061506856_n.jpg

Got a little sad when I saw this though.
Also, if any of you all are bath bomb/spa obsessives like me, Basin is pretty great. Even better, they had a military discount!
Anyway, it was a fun night out to back into the swing of walking and being in big crowds again. Seriously, I had no idea that Downtown was still a popular area?
Anyway, the next it was time for Magic Kingdom!
Magic Kingdom is my very favorite park, and I was so looking forward to a full day there!
We had booked an early breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table (!!!), which the foodie in me was pretty meh about, but my inner nine year old was ecstatic.
We were all Disneybounding for today. Since I have red hair, I went Ariel, who is one of my favorite princesses.
20401_872719506108562_4239842137560654074_n.jpg

(From left to right, my mom who wasn't bounding, Alice, Ariel, Rapunzel (yeah, that's a frying pan), Cinderella, Snow White, Belle, and Jasmine!)
My dad caught up with us and we were escorted into the castle!
11401082_871624572884722_6952467537400761349_n.jpg

11407150_871624822884697_653019945610166685_n.jpg

The food was super average, but hey, it's hard to really mess up bacon and eggs ( I really wanted some of that French toast, but I try really hard not to eat sweets for breakfast). It's the experience anyway.
So obviously I was pretty excited to meet Ariel, because I was emulating her today, and it litereally reduced me to a five year old. I was way too excited.
11099289_872719812775198_258229979509098168_n.jpg

HAIR TWINS!
Anyway, after breakfast, my little sister needed to go take a break at our hotel, so my dad offered to take her. She gets homesick sometimes when we're away for a while, but she rejoined us later in the afternoon. we took a picture at the fountain (my favorite spot in Disney) before she went though.
11037157_872720066108506_106449657036457667_n.jpg

So me and my mom got to hang out at Magic Kingdom for the morning, which was pretty fun. We checked out the new Little Mermaid ride, did Philarmagic, an old favorite, the Peoplemover, a new favorite, and took a lot of pictures. I won't make you suffer through all of them.
1982232_872720129441833_827362885595357240_n.jpg

It was good to have a chill morning just getting to shop around a check out all the new stuff that has been put in since we were at the World last.
11425411_871625146217998_2841223598505008113_n.jpg

11407316_871625442884635_4975397944111165531_n.jpg

We decided to participate in the craziness that is the Magic Kingdom Starbucks, and exploring MainStreet. I never realized how awesome Mainstreet is until this trip.
10505340_872719349441911_5122718303899142853_n.jpg

After a pleasant morning, we regrouped with my dad and sister/took a breather at the hotel and headed back to MK.
We wanted to check out teh new parade, and we lucked out big time in that area. My dad always requests a visit to Casey's Corner, as a lover of both baseball and ball park fare. So we stopped in, got some dogs, and snagged a seat with a pretty good view of Festival of Fantasy! It was a beautiful parade, I especially loved the dragon! However, I noticed that there's usually a Pinocchio float when I was researching this trip on the Internet, but it didn't make an appearance on our particular day. I'm thinking it was because it looked a storm was blowing in, and it was pretty windy. Maybe they had some concerns about safety or something. Either way, it was still a fabulous parade.
One of the things that my sister requested to do was drive me around the Speedway, so we managed a Fastpass to do that once we all got back to the park. It was a truly terrifying experience, and I don't know how we made it out alive. My mom got this picture of us that perfectly sums up the whole experience.
1621702_872720336108479_383730426752132298_n.jpg

After our death defying jaunt around the track, we wandered around for a while, just doing whatever.
One of our first stops was Adventureland, for a trip around the carpets (We tried for Jungle Cruise, but it was just too long, and we'd already done it once)
11430110_871625929551253_8405206491372632126_n.jpg

We also got to do Space Ranger Spin sometime that day (Can't remember when exactly), but either way, we got stopped in the very first room for quite some time and maxed out our scores, which was fun. It also made me realize how loud it is in there.

We did Columbia Harbor House for dinner. This is probably my favorite quick service place on property. Sitting upstairs and relaxing is a welcome break from running around the parks. Our next fast pass was for Haunted Mansion, but we still had some time so we grabbed some ice cream from one of the carts, also a must do. I do love a Mickey's Premium. We also checked out Memento Mori, which was honestly one of the neatest places we went on this trip. I love the little touches around the shop like the portraits that do weird things and the face in the mirror and stuff.

Anyway, Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride, I can never ride it too many times, but I always have to do it when it's dark outside, so our timing was perfect.

After that, it was pre-fireworks so the crowds hadn't thinned out yet, so we spent some time playing Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom! If you guys are planning on doing a really long day at MK, I highly recommend SOMK, it's something fun to do while the lines are too long to do anything. My whole family actually got really into it.
Anyway, we got a little lost finding one of our stops over in Adventureland (the one in Tortuga Tavern is a little hard to find), so we asked some of the CMs over at the now closed Pirates to help us out. Since they were hanging out in front of a closed ride, there was a lot of goofing around evident. They h ad a bunch of pirate swords etc. to play around with. They'd even set up hopscotch! We spent a little time hanging out with them, just chatting and playing hopscotch. They were really funny.
We also passed by Aloha Isle while we were doing the game, so of course we had to stop for something like the third Dole Whip of the trip thus far.
We'd completely lost track of where my GS troop was at this point, but we met up with them later to do Small World together for some reason. Either way, it was fun. They hadn't had much of a break all day, and were headed over to Hall of Presidents to get ina little breather and sit in some air conditioning. My family isn't big on roller coasters or thrill rides, and that cuts a lot of stuff to do and a lot of the rides we love never really have long waits, so we don't really have to spend huge amounts of time at the parks to do every ride we want to do. Not the case for the Scouts, but that's okay. We still hung out quite a bit.
After our short meet-up, we went over to watch the Celebrate the Magic show. We hadn't had a great view of it from the party, so we wanted to see it again. This was one of my new favorite things from this trip. We watched it all three nights we were at MK.
We ended up watching Wishes from Tomorrowland just to grab a drink and a seat somewhere. It was still nice though.
Afterwards, we headed towards Mainstreet to do a last few things before we left for the night. We always stop at the Confectionary for some fudge before we leave, so we grabbed some to take back to the hotel. I never noticed that the Confectionary has a little Remy behind the counter, which I thought was adorable.
It was a completely amazing day for us, but super long. We ended up sleeping in a bit more than intended the next day, but we made it work.
Next up: A trip around the world!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom