Trip Report The 8 Year Joke

Hey all! I have waited so long to post this thread, but we're less than a month away from our trip so I thought it would be okay to open this up.

My name is Randi, and my Girl Scout troop and I, as well as my family, are going to Disney World this June! This trip is partially powered by cookie money (that's right, your Thin Mints are my vacation).

The very idea of this trip has been years and years in the making. Whenever my troop of four (including me) were asked what we wanted to do with the money we raised by selling cookies, one of us would always say "hey, let's go to Disney World!". Well it has been 8 years (hence the thread title) and we're finally making it happen!

Because we're Girl Scouts, we'll also be volunteering at Give Kids the World twice over the course of this trip.
If you don't know about Give Kids The World, they are a fantastic group that runs a sort of village resort that allows children with terminal illnesses and their families to stay there for free and do things like Disney World and Universal, also for free. Here's a link to their website if you want to check it out! https://www.gktw.org/

I also thought it might be cool to document some of the planning and such we are doing to get ready for this trip, in case any of you are looking at doing the same thing for a group of some sort.

Two thirds of our trip is military, so we'll be staying at Shades of Green! This is my absolute favorite hotel in the world. The staff are lovely and the hotel is gorgeous, and the food is wonderful. I haven't been in something like six or seven years so I'm really excited to come back!

It has been so much fun getting ready for this trip and I'm excited to document it!

LisaBelle

Fun report so far! Kudos to you for all the planning. Looks like everyone had a great time! Your service project was awesome. Happy that worked out for you. Glad you were able to see all you wanted to see at MK. Loved your outfits! Glad you were able to experience Cinderella's Royal Table. I think everyone should visit once just for the experience. Looking forward to reading more!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
Aw, thanks guys! Yeah, I don't usually go in for M&G's but that Ariel was seriously so fun, she did an amazing job.
It was so funny, I was in a production of Once Upon A Mattress a couple of months ago and when Aurora came over, she had us all do the little hands touching pose thing that she does, and I had such a vivid flashback, because I hit that exact same pose in the show I had just done!

Anyway, so next up on the schedule was Epcot. My family was so beat from our MK day that we slept in for a loooooong time. Also, there are turkeys at Shades of Green, just in case you were wondering.

11401286_871626216217891_5587889817570049069_n.jpg

Because of this, we didn't really get to spend any time at Future World, which was definitely a bit disappointing. But my family definitely enjoys World Showcase more (at this point in time) anyway, so we still made the best of it.

I also was doing a Disneybound of Stitch that day, just 'cause so keep a look out for that I guess.

Anyway, we head over to Epcot via Monorail. We waited pretty late to actually get to the park just to see if it would cool down a little bit before we were out and about, and we were dead wrong. This and the next day were easily the hottest of the trip, made worse by the fact that Epcot has very little shade.

But I love Epcot, so it's never a bad place to be.

We get into the park and pretty much headed straight for Club Cool, because I had to take part in the time honored tradition of drinking lots of free soda. Also air conditioning. Also, I'd never had the Beverly, and that's on my list of Disney things to eat before you die list (I'll post that later).

The Beverly did not disappoint in that it was completely disgusting. Not knowing this, Keiran downed a cup and we weren't sure if she was going to be sticking around for the rest of the day.

We had to meet up with my GS troop in Mexico because we had to give my leader her tablet, so we headed in that general direction. Mexico is the best pavilion because it's indoors, and it was still intensely hot at this point in the day. Also, it's just a cool place to be. We took a ride on the Gran Fiesta Tour, and then looked around all the shops and such. I love love love the interior of Mexico, it's so gorgeous.
11390103_871627379551108_4858130202993769746_n.jpg

With that, we started our journey across the world! It was my goal to do snack around the world that day, which I partially accomplished.

Next up, Norway! I was really interested to see how this was going to be partically under construction. The Norway pavillion is one of my family's favorites, so we're definitely a little miffed that it's being frozen over.
I'll tell you this, it was CRAZY crowded. Walls were blocking off a lot of it, but luckily we were still able to make our way over to Kringla to get some Schoolbread! My family had never tried this, and it was on my list, so in we went!

First of all, it was really tempting to add about three or four more treats to that order of Schoolbread, everything looked so delicious. We all decided to split it, since we weren't sure if we were going to like it. This was not an issue. I'm pretty sure everyone agreed it was the best thing we ate on the entire trip. I love how it's really tasty but it's not super sweet, so you don't feel like you're not going to make it to China, lol.
Anyway, we hung out at the bakery for a little bit. I took a peek around just checking out the construction work.

It was at this point in the trip that we were really missing my older brother, who believe it or not didn't want to come with us, 'cause he's not really a theme park kind of guy. But he's got crazy long hair and a beard, so the statue in Norway definitely reminded us of him. I don't remember if we called him or not, but we did at some point that day.
10407886_872720409441805_8781331209803830156_n.jpg

10492593_872720489441797_7183675759401679960_n.jpg

And then we were on to China! We caught a small bit of the acrobat show, which was pretty neat. Our snack for this pavilion was a mango green tea slush at Joy of Tea, and it was really refreshing. We didn't spend a lot of time in China simply because it was really crowded with the show going on, so we made our way to Germany.

11242201_872720539441792_1868986215468863971_n.jpg

We definitely have a soft spot for Germany. My dad was stationed there for a few years in the military prior to meeting my mom, and the very first time we went to Disney, we ate at the Biergarden, and apparently six year old me really really loved the band. I think we stayed for something like three or four hours just for the music according to my mom. We weren't stopping in today, but we were on a mission for some caramel.
We got some of the caramel corn, and a sliced caramel apple (good idea guys). It smelled so good in there, oh my gosh. We wandered all the shops here, checking out everything. I noticed that the cuckoo clock in the pavilion features one Dr. Doofensmirtz being chased around by his mother, which I thought was pretty fantastic. Phineas and co. were one of my favorites when I was younger.

So then we went over to Italy, (I literally had to pull up a map to get all of these straight). The shops in Italy are some of my favorites, I love the Venetian masks, they're so gorgeous. The architecture there is also awesome, so we took quite a few pictures.
11210500_872721076108405_1576073241917176276_n.jpg

11406933_872720916108421_6616237039339905066_n.jpg

17670_871627622884417_5094045473580382063_n.jpg

I don't believe we snacked on anything here, but rather found a table in the shade and started on some of the caramel stuff because it was starting to melt (Like I said, hottest day ever). As we were sitting down, the Flag corps guys were coming out to do their show, so that was perfect timing. That was pretty neat.

Anyway, after eating a good chunk of our stuff from Karmell Kuche, we stopped briefly at The American Adventure for a break and to check out their Journey cover band. They were pretty okay. We couldn't quite work in a showing of the American Adventure, so we had to skip it.

I'm a huge musical theatre dork, and it was at about this point in the evening that the Tony awards started! I was checking my phone pretty regularly at this point to get the updates on who was winning and such.

After that, it was about time for some dinner in Japan!
11401354_872721139441732_1658214098811673360_n.jpg

We ate at Katsura cafe', which in an exceptionally tiny building, but does have some pretty good food.
11428068_871627849551061_1877243062139147744_n.jpg

Since we'd been eating all day, we shared a big plate between us, and some edamame seeds. For dessert, we got both of their ice cream flavors, green tea and azuki strawberry to share between all of us, Both were super delicious. It was some pretty good food.

Japan has some of the best shopping at World Showcase, so we spent a lot of time there.

Morocco was our next stop. I don't remember much about this pavilion from previous trips, but it turned out to be one of my favorites on this one! I got to wander by myself for a little bit while my family picked up some food and it was truly awesome. The shops and everything are so well done and the staff were all exceptionally nice. I joke that I have about three Moroccan boyfriends after going back there. ;)
11390551_871628006217712_597269081383439218_n.jpg

We got some snacks at Tangerine Cafe'. We had the Tangerine roll, baklava, and a Tangerine slush that thankfully wasn't too sweet.
11393247_871628192884360_3720661876888665041_n.jpg

There's a patch of grace between Morocco and France where my troop was chilling out. That became our spot for Illuminations. We sat with them for a little bit before going off to the last few pavilions to look around fairly quickly before the show started.
We took a quick spin through France, which was beautiful, but we didn't stop in to eat anything. I was kind of on a mission to get some Fish and Chips in the U.K. pavilion. My dad and Keiran graciously stood in line to get me some while my mom and I took a peak at the shops.
We looked around Canada fairly quickly but we really had to get back to the troop for our spot for the fireworks, so we rushed back that way.
Those Fish and chips were seriously so good though. I had to fight my family off to be able to eat it.
Anyway, Illuminations was about to start, so we talked about our day and what all we'd done. My troop had done all of the Kidcot stops, so that was neat (I'd completely forgotten about it). They'd also gotten to do all of the Future World stuff because they'd rolled out of bed.
Illuminations was gorgeous as always, even the drunk guy who knew the song by heart, who was extremely funny in a terrible way. It was the perfect way to top off a super food filled day.
I've never been on Spaceship Earth for some reason or another, so I was definitely a little disappointed I didn't get to do it, but otherwise there wasn't a whole in Future World that I really had to do, so all things considered we had a really amazing time in the World Showcase.
We'd also snagged a sombrero for my stuffed pig, Coulson. Coulson is kind of a weird story. He keeps my anxiety level calm, so naturally he's always in my bag for things like Disney World. It's been ajoke looking over all of our family pictures to find the hidden Coulson, so hey, maybe keep an eye on that through the TR, I guess.
11425147_871628232884356_8694505091896402120_n.jpg

Up next: Our last day at the World :( Hollywood Studios and a last evening at Magic Kingdom!

DisSplash

Still following along. I love your Ariel outfit - my daughter will also pair up green bottoms and purple top and declare herself to be Ariel. You looked great; especially with your red hair!

DistractedGenius

Original Poster
Hey everyone! This is my last TR content post :( But I'm already planning a return trip with siblings sometime in the future (like, five years from now), so I'm sure we'll be doing this again!

Alright, our last day was split between Hollywood Studios and a positively magical last night at The Magic Kingdom.

I actually like Hollywood Studios because I adore movies, but I also definitely see no need to spend a full day there because there aren't a lot of rides/things to do (that I can do), at this point. I mean, if you can't do Rock N Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror, Hollywood Studios is like a four and a half hour park as opposed to even a half day.

We made it to the park to find that the ever popular Anna and Elsa topiaries outside the gates.
10995577_872721489441697_4606727512188760930_n.jpg

There were CROWDS of people taking pictures with them. Coolest Summer Ever hadn't quite started yet, so we were spared that, but it was however smackdab in the middle of Star Wars weekend, and although it was a Monday, there was still plenty of evidence. I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan, so that was pretty great (I auditioned for Episode VII like a year ago. The person they cast in the part looks absolutely nothing like me, lol).

We started off by heading over to the Animation Academy, one of my favorite places in the parks (so sad it will be closing soon). I didn't get to take the drawing class, but I did get to hang out and play the games (and enjoy the free air conditioning. It was record breaking heat this particular day of the trip). I was perhaps a little too excited about the fact that I got Belle on the little quiz machine. But perhaps most exciting was getting a glimpse of Baymax!

11393223_871628342884345_6985245095351369093_n.jpg

Afterwards we went over to MuppetVision, which is always fun. I thought this sign was pretty apt.
11536024_871628416217671_2714051997268936144_n.jpg

After the show, we made a fastpass for The Great Movie Ride, one of my absolute favorite rides on property.The ride looked really good, I think lighting and some other stuff definitely looked improved. The Osborne narration and the new clips worked perfectly for me.
1453503_872721586108354_5287973394741959360_n.jpg

I met up with my Girl Scout troop for lunch at Sci-Fi dine in. I've wanted to eat here for forever, so I was really excited! I kind of knew going in that was more about experience than food, and that definitely is how it went down, but it was still a lot of fun. I got their chicken pasta and it was just okay. But it was still really fun. Loved the clips (trying to explain Plan 9 From Outer Space is always a treat), milkshakes were delicious, and it was nice to be in a quiet, dark, cool room instead of out in the heat.

After lunch, we went over to the Beauty and the Beast show. I like this show, but it was way too hot to really enjoy it this time around. I spent most of the time trying not to pass out. It was a capacity showing, and even though we were in the shade, it didn't help much. Gaston was pitchy, but otherwise, everything looked pretty good.
11407216_871628546217658_8723328040173652159_n.jpg

Afterwards, I rejoined my family, who were pretty done. We shopped around for a bit and had some pastries over at Starring Rolls, which were absolutely delicious. By this point it was getting entirely too hot so we decided to head back over to Shades of Green for a nap before heading over to the MK. We also made plans to visit the Grand Floridian and catch the monorail from there.

I gotta say, if I am ever privileged enough to stay at one of the Deluxe resorts, The GF gets my money. We were there in time to hear both the pianist (who did a wonderful rendition of Hellfire), and the Jazz band. we also checked out the basin in the place and took a lot of pictures, because it's just so pretty!
11535810_871628636217649_3443332951616197762_n.jpg

10533894_872722959441550_6234683588716365895_n.jpg

Then, it was time to go to MK for the last time.
1511054_872723349441511_2405204361402867496_n.jpg

It was a really beautiful evening, perfectly cooled off, and we were definitely feeling much better after a nap.
Keiran wanted to do the Barnstormer and Dumbo, which meant I got to hang out by myself in Storybook circus while they did those (oh man, don't get me started on how much I can't deal with spinners). I took the time to go get a chocolate covered stawberry and enjoy the atmosphere. I feel like this area of the MK gets a kind of bad rap because it's only for kids. the atmosphere is actually pretty nice when you're just chilling out.
We hit some of the rides we missed on our previous visits and did a couple over again. One of these was Winnie the Pooh, which oddly enough has just become one of those things that my family has to do. It was also my favorite of the revamped queues.
This was actually the night that we played the most Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom as well. We met up with a lot of people at the different stops and chatted for a while. We didn't really have anything to stick to or an agenda so just getting to chill and hang out with different people was really neat.
We watched Wishes from the Tinkle Tower (I never did find all of those Pascals). This is actually not a bad place to see it if you're looking for a front and center alternative.
11401505_871628966217616_1051347948357237002_n.jpg

After that, we went over to Gaston's tavern to try out the Cinnamon roll. It also produced the best picture of my dad on this trip.
11536110_872723519441494_6751715399959929275_n.jpg

We also ended up watching Celebrate the Magic again. It's just too neat to miss.

My last ride of the trip was Haunted Mansion. The staff were totally on point that night and were really into it, so it was a lot of fun interacting with them.
We'd already seen Electrical Parade like four times just by being in the park at night, but we sat and watched it this time. As old fashioned as it is (and as cool as it would be to have a new one), it's still so charming. Everything appeared to be working really well, and all of the performers did an excellent job.

And with that, we ended our trip on a sweet note. It was an absolute blast with very few mishaps, and I can't wait to go back again! Thank you so much to everybody who followed along, your sweet words are always appreciated :) Hopefully it won't be long before we can do this again! (I'm already planning a solo trip with my siblings a few years away, so we'll see how that goes!)

-Randi

DisSplash

The last day is always so bittersweet! It looks as if you all made the most of it and truly enjoyed yourselves. Ditto on the GF. Someday ....

We also LOVE the Sci-Fi - it is always a must-do for us in HS! My husband is fan of those campy "scary" movies, including any kind of creature from whatever location, Frankenstein, you name it.

PenguinPrincess

Sounds (and looks!) like you had an amazing time! What a fun trip to be able to share with your family and troop! Here's hoping (for you and us all) that you get back sooner rather than later!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom