A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

B- is what I would give it. My biggest problem with it like you said is that I never felt emotionally involved with it. It was a fun adventure film but Brad Bird sure let me down. Kind of glad he didn't do Star Wars episode 7 after seeing Tomorrowland

I blame Damon Lindelhof.

http://movieweb.com/tomorrowland-movie-walt-disney-disneyland-references/

Lindelof's decision to cut most of the Walt/Park meta-subplot (even though it was probably the biggest selling point to me and people kept lighting up when I explained that part of the backstory when they asked what the hell the movie was about) really took me out of the story.

You can't go "Oh it's just too silly and weird to mention Walt was in on it" and then unironically refer to all the androids as "Audio Animatronics"

BrianLo

I really enjoyed Tomorrowland, it was a fun kids movie, evidenced by the 'gosh darns'.

I personally liked it a little more than Avengers (although I generally enjoyed that as well).

Evidently its biggest flaw (and Lindelof's Hubris) is managing expectations. He has an uncanny ability to spark imagination and ultimately not deliver exactly what people were expecting in their own minds.

kpilcher

Unless, of course, you realize that you are in Animal Kingdom where the logical and easy explanation would, in fact, be zebras.
That is what we have here. It helps to know just a little more information.

I think some credible evidence is near at hand. Because...

...knowing what Disney had planned for this week, we can compare it to what actually happened. A little(ish) bird tells me that what Disney plans and what the Chinese are ok with ain't always exactly similar.

On a slightly different note..
I see that The Bob and Tom Show made the trip from Shanghai to Burbank to Anaheim yesterday so they could press some flesh at Disneyland.
What I find really odd is...when was the last time Zenia crept out of the shadows and allowed herself to be photographed at a park event? It's nearly unheard of.
(Kinda looks like she's Bob's security detail. You know, in case anyone tries to lob a hardball question his way...)

With her reputation....she could be the star of Disney's next sequel: Zenia makes Maleficent cry

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What people need to understand is that what we might call "cheating" is not looked at as unethical in Chinese culture. The lack of a basis for ownership of property or thoughts drives much of the disconnect in what westerners perceive as cheating. As a Chinese, if I can get away with something that you perceive is unethical, that does not make me a bad person.

Absolutely true, I'm just stating this because too many people think China is like the west with spicy food and a 5 tone musical scale. It's not its fundamentally different with its own set of rules

michmousefan

I saw it in IMAX. Pretty much same as you. I liked it but it had problems. The Star Wars Trailer looked great on the huge screen though :D What really disappoints me though is that I doubt the movie will be successful enough for Disney to want to use it as a jumping off point for a Tomorrowland redo. It really would be perfect.
Echo the Tomorrowland comments. I too saw it in IMAX and would recommend seeing it if only for the (all too brief) production design, which was great. I'd also say that while I welcome Star Wars in IMAX, I wish it wasn't IMAX 3D.

Cody5294

Tomorrowland's cinemas score is at a B. For comparison sakes, The Lone Ranger cinema score was a B+. I still think it will cross 100 mill but not by much. Hopefully Disney can still break even with the help of oversea numbers

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Tomorrowland's cinemas score is at a B. For comparison sakes, The Lone Ranger cinema score was a B+. I still think it will cross 100 mill but not by much. Hopefully Disney can still break even with the help of oversea numbers
100M this weekend or in total? I don't think it will get close to $100M this weekend but should pass it eventually. I don't know how much they spent to market the movie, but it should at least make more than the $170M it cost to make the film. Definitely not going to be a home run, but not a train wreck either. A solid base hit for TWDC. In this day and age if it's not a mega hit people often consider a film a flop.

Cody5294

100M this weekend or in total? I don't think it will get close to $100M this weekend but should pass it eventually. I don't know how much they spent to market the movie, but it should at least make more than the $170M it cost to make the film. Definitely not going to be a home run, but not a train wreck either. A solid base hit for TWDC. In this day and age if it's not a mega hit people often consider a film a flop.
I was talking about in the long run it will make at least 100 mill

Cody5294

Tomorrowland only made 9.75 mill on Friday. Yikes. Big drop off from what Cinderella made even though Cinderella has a broader appeal

SJN1279

I actually enjoyed The Lone Ranger quite a bit. I especially thought that the climax was brilliant. It was also one of the highest(if not the highest) grossing western worldwide. The problem was, it was 30 minutes too long, and it cost too much to make.

Cody5294

I actually enjoyed The Lone Ranger quite a bit. I especially thought that the climax was brilliant. It was also one of the highest(if not the highest) grossing western worldwide. The problem was, it was 30 minutes too long, and it cost too much to make.
I really liked The Lone Ranger too. It fell victim to the "love to hate" trend. The media wanted it to bomb

the.dreamfinder

A Disney park going over budget is nothing new or unusual. Disneyland went over budget. Walt Disney World Phase I went over budget. EPCOT Center went over budget. Euro Disbeyland went over budget. Even the less fleshed out parks went over. MyMagic+ went over budget. It is how Disney operates.

Delays from correcting shoddy construction is evidence against a dead relationship. It is evidence of greater control from Disney. Construction issues and delays caused by them also happen in the swamps of Central Florida.
There are also murmurs that Disney forced the contractors to pay their workers much higher wages than they normally get as well.

Cody5294

Ouch. That does not seem like much. I don't follow this type of statistic as I only watch movies at home, but I am curious if a major holiday weekend is hurting attendance or would it normally be helping.
Memorial Day Weekend usually is a busy time at the theatres. If Tomorrowland would of received great reviews I believe it would have made 60 mill. Advertising a movie that nobody knows anything about and then having it receive mostly negative reviews definitely steered general audiences away from Tomorrowland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom