AVATAR land construction progress

Tom

Beta Return
Does anyone know, maybe @Tom, why the curved pieces of steel would be a different color then the rest of the steel?

They are using an odd assortment of steel. Some of it is painted red-iron. Some is gray primed. Some is galvanized.

The galvanized would be used in a wet or corrosive environment. So, likely, those portions will be completely outside of buildings and merely wrapped in faux themescape, which is not waterproof.

Typically, when steel is left as gray primed, that means it's going to have spray-applied fireproofing material added, since the fireproofing doesn't stick to paint on steel.

The red iron would typically indicate that it's not going to be fireproofed.

They have a lot of galvanized steel in contact with non-galvanized steel. That begs for quick and significant corrosion issues because of dissimilar materials. They must have some isolation pieces in there - perhaps stainless.

RayTheFirefly

They are using an odd assortment of steel. Some of it is painted red-iron. Some is gray primed. Some is galvanized.

The galvanized would be used in a wet or corrosive environment. So, likely, those portions will be completely outside of buildings and merely wrapped in faux themescape, which is not waterproof.

Typically, when steel is left as gray primed, that means it's going to have spray-applied fireproofing material added, since the fireproofing doesn't stick to paint on steel.

The red iron would typically indicate that it's not going to be fireproofed.

They have a lot of galvanized steel in contact with non-galvanized steel. That begs for quick and significant corrosion issues because of dissimilar materials. They must have some isolation pieces in there - perhaps stainless.
To me, it looks like a majority of the galvanized is near where the waterfalls in the rendering would be, so that makes sense for it to be galvanized if that "leg" of the mountain will be directly behind a waterfall.

flyerjab

That link to the damouse site has great close-up photos of the floating mountain structure. The best part is that there is a person there for some perspective of how large this is potentially going to be. And to me, the size and scope of this is going to be impressive and will fit right along side the ToL and EE. From a theming perspective, considering who they have working on the rock facade, this stands a chance of being the most visually stunning park icon in Orlando.

Shaman

If i remember correctly, right now, you can see the building above the tree line as you approach the AK parking lot entrance. It is going to be a huge building, and if the floating rockwork is going up even higher it will be very visible from Osceola.

flyerjab

Imagine what this is going to look like when its done. Wow. Although I am a little curious about it competing for skyline dominance with the ToL.

Once this is finished (I might have retired by then), this park will have the ToL on DI, EE in Anandapur, Harambe itself, and now the Floating Mountains of Pandora. That is going to be an impressive lineup.

flyerjab

Imagine what this is going to look like when its done. Wow. Although I am a little curious about it competing for skyline dominance with the ToL.

According to the concept models, this shouldn't even be the highest point. Actually, that's not even close to the highest point.

MKCP 1985

Tree of life is not really that tall, is it? It doesn't seem that way when I'm in the park, although it has been awhile. One would think floating mountains are taller than a big tree.

Clamman73

When you go through the turnstiles, should the floating mountains be in your field of view? It seems like it would be too far off to the left? However, walking up to the ticket area, it should be quite obvious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom