The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MOXOMUMD

I've also recall reading about the above points, years ago. Part of what I don't get about the current crime wave in Baltimore over the past few days, is that a number of "mom and pop" establishments, owned and operated by hard-working citizens living right in that local community (according to news reports this morning, many were "minority owned and operated"), have also been looted and set on fire.
It's displaced anger, frustration and just a place for opportunists to take out their aggression and commit stupid acts without thought to the aftermath. It's so counterproductive.

MOXOMUMD

Here in Mississippi the state motto is "are you gonna eat that?" And our state bird is the fried chicken. In my home state of Louisiana the state bird is the mosquito. These facts are 100% true. I wouldn't lie.

On a serious note, since you brought up the Canadian motto I'm gonna take this opportunity to rant (nobody else will listen) about the movement to change the Canadian motto. Canada's motto is A mari usque ad mare (from sea to sea). However, there are many Canadians that would like to see the motto changed to A mari ad mare ad mare (from sea to sea to sea) to insure that northern Canada is represented. Apparently it's a very popular proposal but as someone who has spent a lot of time studying Canadian history I think it is a terrible idea. It shows a complete lack of knowledge as to where Canada's motto actually comes from (am I boring everyone yet?). If Canada's motto is going to be changed to include northern Canada then the motto should be A mari usque ad mare, et a flumine usque ad terminus terrae (from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth).

Canada's motto A mari usque ad mare was taken directly from Psalm 72:8 because it was thought to give a perfect description of Canada "He shall have dominion (Canada's title at the time) also from sea to sea (Atlantic to Pacific), and from the river ( the Saint Lawrence River) unto the ends of the earth (the Arctic/North Pole)." So if the motto is going to be changed it needs to respect Canadian history and be in keeping with Psalm 72:8. But I'm not Canadian so I guess that's none of my business. Maybe instead I should give my rant about the US national anthem.
Politics and religion are two topics that aren't supposed to be discussed on the forums, but without going off on an Anti-American tangent, what's your problem with the National Anthem?

StarWarsGirl

Shout that from the rooftop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love going down there!!!!!!!!!!
I know! Such a nice place to visit. Typical attitude from someone from DC though.

Still, even if that is your opinion, you really should not be saying it right now. It's in really bad taste to say something like that right now. I felt like saying that to him (if this were real life, he would have seen my temper) but made my point.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I know! Such a nice place to visit. Typical attitude from someone from DC though.

Still, even if that is your opinion, you really should not be saying it right now. It's in really bad taste to say something like that right now. I felt like saying that to him (if this were real life, he would have seen my temper) but made my point.
I hope things quiet down soon, I'd love to take a trip down this summer. I love the Inner Harbor, only problem is sometimes I do a little too much shopping. Be safe, Jersey is now sending down some of our troopers.

StarWarsGirl

I hope things quiet down soon, I'd love to take a trip down this summer. I love the Inner Harbor, only problem is sometimes I do a little too much shopping. Be safe, Jersey is now sending down some of our troopers.
I would think it would be fine by July or so.

Just keeping an eye on the news. School has been sending regular updates. We'll see how things go.

I must say, an O's game in National's Park sounds pretty cool...

MOXOMUMD

Set to a drinking song.

Very nice poem, but did they have to set it to a drinking song? :facepalm:
That was a popular thing to do at the time, put the lyrics to a melody that wasn't your own because many of the public knew the tune already. FSK wrote it but did not put it to that melody. (The music for our national anthem had been previously used for 84 other songs. :confused: ) The Star Spangled Banner wasn't "officially" our National Anthem until the early 1930s. Before that more people recognized My Country Tis Of Thee as the anthem, which was penned to God Save The King. TSSB was chosen to differentiate the two nation's anthems. (And that's today's history lesson. :joyfull: )

StarWarsGirl

Second school is closing early to accommodate the curfew.

First school is still asking those who live in the city to please stay on campus.

Meanwhile, seems businesses not affected by the riots are trying to help. One restaurant in the couty is allowing service men and women as well as police officers in uniform to eat for free. Others are organizing cleanups.

MOXOMUMD

Second school is closing early to accommodate the curfew.

First school is still asking those who live in the city to please stay on campus.

Meanwhile, seems businesses not affected by the riots are trying to help. One restaurant in the couty is allowing service men and women as well as police officers in uniform to eat for free. Others are organizing cleanups.
So the O's are still going to play at Camden but it's closed to the public.

Cesar R M

Oh my CAA Travel Agent is NOT happy with me.

I called her, telling her how to re-jig the reservations to finagle the Free Dining.
Apparently, one of the other agents was already on the phone w/Disney this morning. TWO AND A HALF HOURS on hold.

Sorry honey, but all jobs stink sometimes.
besides, its not your fault that Disney phone service stinks monkey dongs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom