The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

seahawk7

And what on Earth does destroying buildings and other people's property accomplish? Think about it. All that these violent protesters have done is destroy property, destroy their own neighborhoods, and make those of us who don't live directly in the city afraid to go there. And what can we do about it? Absolutely nothing.

Believe me dude, I know what African Americans experience. We have a family friend. He and I are very close; I think of him as a grandfather. He is African American. He has told me what he has experienced, from segregation to police brutality now. Even though I have never experienced it firsthand, I am appalled by some of his experiences. I have even seen him experience racism. But this is not the way to change things. I haven't spoken to him since the protests have started (boy, I need to call him), but I know he would say this is not the way.

My tutee was extremely distraught by this. She is black. One of my best friends from school is very upset by this. She is also black. At this point, regardless of what you think about what happened, this is no way to behave.

What is especially sad about this is that the victim's family said that they did not want protests today. Today was his funeral; they wanted today to honor his memory. No matter how you slice it, this is wrong, and I am disgusted by the damage being done to this city that I love. For another thing, the situation was being handled. The federal government has been investigating. The officers responsible will most likely be charged.
I don't think @Cesar R M was condoning what is going on. I think we all are very shocked and sad for you and your city.

seahawk7

Premies usually do. Hard to tell at this point, though. They were both breathing without assistance, but of course they are in the special unit. So nothing yet, but we'll have to see.

Thankfully, she is a step-cousin (she has no involvement with her father and calls my uncle dad, and he refers to her as his daughter, not his step daughter so as far as we are concerned, she is our family) so she does not have asthma nor the genetic predisposition in the family for asthma. A lot of premies end up with asthma, so at least there's no genetic factor there.

The problem is that she is so tiny that it was hard for her to carry twins. She wasn't due until early August, but her doctor put her on bed rest at the end of March. So it's not terribly surprising.

I said, "Well, if they were going to be premature, couldn't they have waited two days?":rolleyes:
That's amazing that they don't need CPAP or a ventilator. I hope it continues that way.

seahawk7

Oh @MOXOMUMD That is my favorite avatar of yours yet! Dumbo is one of my favorite Disney characters; I've had a Dumbo plush that I have slept with ever since I got him on my first trip to WDW when I was five months old. Since then I've collected a LOT of Dumbo stuff! And Dumbo with his mommy is so cute. My mom used to sing "Baby Mine" when I was a baby to get me to fall asleep. This one kid who I babysit will stop crying no matter what if you sing him "Baby Mine".:happy:

And with that, I am now REALLY off to bed.
Yes, I was waiting for this avatar. Is Kanga and Roo coming soon?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I was reading about tigers the other day, and did you know that their saliva is antiseptic?

Tigers have been known to imitate the call of other animals, to attract their prey; tigers are smart.

Also, if you look a tiger in the eyes, he is less likely to kill you. (That's a helpful hint if you're walking around around the jungle, and you see him first.) ;) :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
There probably is some truth to that though. Many anti-gentrification groups view chain pharmacies (as well as chain grocery stores and higher end fast food retailers, like Starbucks / Chipotle, etc...) as proof of gentrification, and it could be why they have been targeted specifically with arson.

Not saying it was, but it's part of their manifesto (not kidding), and they are seen as "invaders" by some groups, taking away black jobs and shutting down black small business opportunities and raising property values, which forces many living on fixed incomes into a rough situation as their property tax increases (among other complaints / concerns).

If you haven't looked into the gentrification debate, NYC is a good place to start. They had the loudest backlash when parts of Bronx and Harlem started to "gentrify" in the mid-2000s.

I've also recall reading about the above points, years ago. Part of what I don't get about the current crime wave in Baltimore over the past few days, is that a number of "mom and pop" establishments, owned and operated by hard-working citizens living right in that local community (according to news reports this morning, many were "minority owned and operated"), have also been looted and set on fire.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I've also recall reading about the above points, years ago. Part of what I don't get about the current crime wave in Baltimore over the past few days, is that a number of "mom and pop" establishments, owned and operated by hard-working citizens living right in that local community (according to news reports this morning, many were "minority owned and operated"), have also been looted and set on fire.
Once the frenzy starts, discrimination goes out the window. All businesses, cars, and buildings are fair game.
Sadly.

seahawk7

I was reading about tigers the other day, and did you know that their saliva is antiseptic?

Tigers have been known to imitate the call of other animals, to attract their prey; tigers are smart.

Also, if you look a tiger in the eyes, he is less likely to kill you. (That's a helpful hint if you're walking around around the jungle, and you see him first.) ;) :)
bfb356df-cc0e-41f2-8cbd-a3ca386775d8.jpg

StarWarsGirl

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom