Poor Carousel Of Progress

JIMINYCR

I always look forward to seeing CoP. for the nostalgic/ historical reminders, Walt connection and because its not packed. I find it enjoyable. I know it doesnt bear up to what the teens want. It gets a bad rep because it isnt a fast adrenaline pumping thrill ride, doesnt have colorful scenery and cute animatronics belting out catchy songs, doesnt have targets to shoot at, has no scary moments, and is tucked away in the corner so that many guests pass it by. I'd hate to see it go or be scrapped. Some attractions deserve to remain a part of Disney. Too bad Disney has decided to remove other attractions that should still be a part of MK in the name of progress and the need to compete with HP.

Chef Mickey

I always look forward to seeing CoP. for the nostalgic/ historical reminders, Walt connection and because its not packed. I find it enjoyable. I know it doesnt bear up to what the teens want. It gets a bad rep because it isnt a fast adrenaline pumping thrill ride, doesnt have colorful scenery and cute animatronics belting out catchy songs, doesnt have targets to shoot at, has no scary moments, and is tucked away in the corner so that many guests pass it by. I'd hate to see it go or be scrapped. Some attractions deserve to remain a part of Disney. Too bad Disney has decided to remove other attractions that should still be a part of MK in the name of progress and the need to compete with HP.
Agree with everything you said, but if their mentaility is "competing with HP," they need not worry so much. Disney is the leader and needs to do what they want without too much looking over their shoulder.

Some, sure watching the competition and not resting on your laurels...but keeping COP or Snow White wouldn't kill them. They need more expansion anyway.

I wish we'd get more additions rather than replacements. Give us Frozen AND let us keep Maelstrom.

Disney is cheaping out too much lately. They either replace or close something all together and just let it die (Tomorrowland theater, Imagination Pavilion, Wonders of Life Pavilion, Odyssey restaurant, Backlot Tour space, etc etc etc.

Phil12

I'm rather surprised that CoP has not been nominated to the National Registry of Historic Places. It certainly qualifies. The big problem I see with CoP is that it is stale to the point of being absolutely boring to all but nostalgia buffs. Of course the Tiki Room and CBJ suffer the same problem. As they continue in operation the personnel responsible for upkeep will, of necessity, have to replace old and worn out parts (computers, computer programs, hydraulic actuators, gears, wood, plastics, paint, clothing material, etc.) with modern materials that ruin the historic value of the attractions. Antique preservation and restoration is a very precise and exacting job. I fear that most, if not all, of these attractions might have lost their historic value.

RonAnnArbor

COP has always been and remains one of my favorite things at WDW -- rumor has it that it WILL get a big refurb very soon. I have several times written letters to WDW about the condition of COP, and I have gotten a few personal responses from them. WE have other posts on this same attraction where I have outlined the very easy refurbs and fixes that need to be done, so I won't repeat them here (except for the past 6 years the clock is wrong in the 4th of July sequence...they are getting ready to head to the park for the festivities where people are arriving, but the clock says 11:10 pm - push the darn clocks arms back already)...

Goofyernmost

COP has always been and remains one of my favorite things at WDW -- rumor has it that it WILL get a big refurb very soon. I have several times written letters to WDW about the condition of COP, and I have gotten a few personal responses from them. WE have other posts on this same attraction where I have outlined the very easy refurbs and fixes that need to be done, so I won't repeat them here (except for the past 6 years the clock is wrong in the 4th of July sequence...they are getting ready to head to the park for the festivities where people are arriving, but the clock says 11:10 pm - push the darn clocks arms back already)...
How do you know it's PM. Maybe it's AM and the 4th of July celebration starts with a picnic. Or it may look dark out, but, it is a huge cloud overhead. Or the place doesn't start to party until after 11! The place rocks!

KDM31091

I would not like to see it rehabbed and here's why. I'm not confident that they will keep it the same (as far as the spirit and storyline). They will find a way to inject a movie character in there. Somehow, some way. Which would destroy the attraction.

It's a simple show that's nostalgic. Enjoy it for what it is. That's how I feel about it. Someday it will be gone so let's just appreciate it for what it is. I would love to see a rehab if they were simply going to freshen up the last scene and keep the storyline the same -- but since I don't see them doing that, I'd prefer it to be left alone.

Goofyernmost

I would not like to see it rehabbed and here's why. I'm not confident that they will keep it the same (as far as the spirit and storyline). They will find a way to inject a movie character in there. Somehow, some way. Which would destroy the attraction.

It's a simple show that's nostalgic. Enjoy it for what it is. That's how I feel about it. Someday it will be gone so let's just appreciate it for what it is. I would love to see a rehab if they were simply going to freshen up the last scene and keep the storyline the same -- but since I don't see them doing that, I'd prefer it to be left alone.
I guess that they could have a huge crashing sound and have the Father say... That's Uncle Wreck it Ralph!

Dwarful

There are certain attractions that are on my 'must see' list for every trip (some more than once per trip)....those include: CoP, CBJ, HoP, AA. Every trip we have watched CoP we have never had the theater to ourselves. It seems like even if there isn't a line the people show up as the doors are preparing to open. I hope it doesn't leave in my lifetime.

Phil12

The last scene is a Christmas celebration and I think that's the perfect time for Olaf the snowman to add some much needed comedic relief after all that stupid talk about car phones and laser discs.

draybook

Agree with everything you said, but if their mentaility is "competing with HP," they need not worry so much. Disney is the leader and needs to do what they want without too much looking over their shoulder.

dog_zps9c138zas.jpg

Prog

American Adventure was amazing from a tech standpoint but I'm still not a big fan.
I don't think that CoP gets the love it deserves today which is why I don't think Disney would invest in a refurb unless conditions became truly dire.

Chef Mickey

My point here is that worrying too much about responding to HP or whatever competitors do seems to take away from Disney making good, long term decisions. I could argue Avatarland was a rushed attempt in response to what Universal did with Potter.

Cramming Tangled into EPCOT for a sugar rush was probably more about creating interest in EPCOT than it was about getting something quality in a park that needs a lot of help otherwise.

You certainly don't completely ignore competition, but Disney is the leader by leading, not responding and I'd argue they have a different strategy anyway. Just do you.

Iwerks64

COP has always been one of my and my family's favorite rides. I remember seeing it when it first opened at WDW. The concept, scripts and technology used in the first three scenes are perfect. The 20 year jump between scenes and lining up with the seasons and holidays is a brilliant piece of theater. And "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" has always been one of my favorite Sherman Brothers songs.

But I do think that final scene takes you out of the emotion created by the first three. Perhaps in 1964, the future of 1984 was pretty astounding, not so much anymore. The attempts to update it and keep it futuristic have only highlighted the difficulty in staying relevant and further alienated the final scene.

Isn't there six "theaters", with one being used for load and one for unload? I thought I read somewhere that there was discussion on turning one of the load stations into both load/unload, freeing up one theater for another show scene. I have no idea if that is possible or not. But this way the fourth scene could be more congruent with the previous three in being a retrospective of change and showed the technology jump from the 40's to computers/cell phones/space exploration with very little update. Then a fifth scene could be added that is more in keeping with inspiring people to think about the possibilities of the future and what progress may bring (you know, the kind of thing that Disney used to be good at). The fifth scene would even have to take place in a room in a house, but could help tie up the whole theme of the show and wouldn't become outdated quite so quickly and doesn't seem like it would cost much.

Sorry for the long rant for my first post.:)

ItlngrlBella

If you gave me $400 I think I could make the final scene look a lot better. The animatronics desperately need some new clothes and a new laptop.

...and iPads, iPhones and Apple Watches... CoP, brought to you by Apple. ;)

Really, it needs help, zuzzhing up - really a full on refurb... Or it just should be put out of its misery.

Tonight, this popped up on my fb - posted earlier today - maybe rename it "Carousel of Groundhog Day?":

image.jpg

ItlngrlBella

I know this is a CoP thread but then this popped up from today as well - WTH? ... And my sister is there now and she said a bunch of the Pirate AA's weren't working and there was a problem with the boats.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom