Metal Detectors at HRRR

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
And it has a huge psychological effect on guests. Turns your park from an "Aquatica" into a "Wet n Wild."

I think they should be hidden if they use them. The average guest wouldn't know they were there unless they had metal in their pockets. Also doesn't it take a quite a bit of metal to set them off? I know I have had change or something similar in my pockets at the airport and it didn't go off.

JoeCamel

I would not hide them but I would theme them. Let the guests know they will be passing through a metal detector and they will take the time to put the stuff in the FREE lockers.

Yeah it sucks they felt they needed to do this to ensure guest safety and could have been more creative about it but the core of the problem is the guests themselves. Once again I hear the saying "THIS is why we can't have nice things".

lazyboy97o

I think they should be hidden if they use them. The average guest wouldn't know they were there unless they had metal in their pockets. Also doesn't it take a quite a bit of metal to set them off? I know I have had change or something similar in my pockets at the airport and it didn't go off.
The problem with hiding is people who may not be able to pass through a metal detector. A person with a pace maker may still want to stay with the group through the queue.

71jason

Yeah it sucks they felt they needed to do this to ensure guest safety and could have been more creative about it but the core of the problem is the guests themselves. Once again I hear the saying "THIS is why we can't have nice things".

Again, sorry to be cryptic, but everything I've heard convinces me this comes down to literally one guest. It just seems there should be an easier way of identifying him.

TalkingHead

Free lockers or not, I have a hard time believing they won't run out of lockers on busy summer days if Ops is forcing nearly everyone to stow their loose items.

TalkingHead

Again, sorry to be cryptic, but everything I've heard convinces me this comes down to literally one guest. It just seems there should be an easier way of identifying him.

Based on what you know, do you expect metal detectors to be added to Hulk and Dragons?

(I think the rumor was the Rockit metal detectors would be making a permanent return next week. Too bad.)

fugawe09

Based on what I know from Team Members at that attraction, the concern is largely about objects striking other riders and trains as well as objects striking the ground. It is easier to mitigate ground strikes with nets, but hard to mitigate rider to rider. There are a certain number of people who don't take it seriously to put their stuff in a locker - maybe they want to take selfies in the queue, maybe they don't really think something could come out of their back pocket, or maybe they don't trust the security of the lockers. Then there are plenty who deliberately bring items onto rides because they want to see a penny levitate in zero G, etc. I think management is grasping at straws because they are out of ideas. I'm curious how the test went in their eyes. It seems like you'd get a lot of false positives from belt buckles, etc, that would gum up the line (how long does it take to get into HHN?) and that you'd miss a lot of non-metal projectiles that could still hurt. And then there's legitimately some people who would view this as a challenge to see what they could sneak in.

71jason

I'm curious how the test went in their eyes. It seems like you'd get a lot of false positives from belt buckles, etc, that would gum up the line (how long does it take to get into HHN?) and that you'd miss a lot of non-metal projectiles that could still hurt. And then there's legitimately some people who would view this as a challenge to see what they could sneak in.

Great points. In addition, from Twitter, what if you have a medical condition that sets off the detector? What if you put your wallet in the "free" locker but the line takes over 90 minutes? How do you pay to get your stuff out?

This is just an ops failure on Universal's part. At a certain point, need to stand up to Legal and tell them we need another way.

TalkingHead

Great points. In addition, from Twitter, what if you have a medical condition that sets off the detector? What if you put your wallet in the "free" locker but the line takes over 90 minutes? How do you pay to get your stuff out?

This is just an ops failure on Universal's part. At a certain point, need to stand up to Legal and tell them we need another way.

And it looks like an absolute cluster. The pic Seth Kubersky posted of a guest at Hulk being "wanded" is ridiculous.

So we're supposed to believe that regional parks like Six Flags can somehow operate without turning their coaster queues into TSA checkpoints, but Universal needs to do this for loose items?

I can only assume SeaWorld will start doing this for Manta, since it's scary and flips and goes over guest areas. Smh.

TalkingHead

Another thought. What do the TMs do about prescription eyeglasses? They're a loose item but they obviously don't make you put them in a locker. So do you get to wear them on the ride? Stow them in a pocket? They could be a "dangerous projectile" either way. This whole thing is so half-baked...

maxairmike

Bingo. There is no other park in the US that I'm aware of that is even close to similar, big chain or small family owned park. Heck, I'm not sure if there's any international parks that do anything resembling this (none that I can think of). Stuff happens. You mitigate problems as much as reasonably possible and/or go after guests who don't follow the rules and actually enforce the consequences. Enough people get tossed from the park for trying to film their ride/drop objects intentionally/do "science experiments" publicly, then people will be much less likely to do those things in the future.

I can't tell you how many shattered phones I've seen underneath Raptor's loop or scattered around Top Thrill Dragster's tower at Cedar Point (all guest pathways).

IAmFloridaBorn

Lockers are FREE for goodness sake! People can't be inconvenienced for 30 seconds for safety? Necessary in my book, I see no problem with this at all.
As I Was reading this thread , I could not for the life of me see how metal detectors are a problem. Either some people are idiots, or just don't mind other people getting hurt. Baffles me. I am glad they have them. Tourist are always trying to cut corners. ALWAYS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom