Metal Detectors at HRRR

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Pictures are popping up online of new metal detectors at the entrance to HRRR. I guess they are really tired of people taking objects on the ride.

image.jpg

Johnny Hess

Someone probably got hurt. I've almost lost my phone a couple of times on the first lift, and I'm always very cautious. Wouldn't be surprised if someone dropped something and it fell and hit someone a few rows down.

Furiated

I hope this doesn't become a thing at the other coasters. I would only welcome it at Dragons if it meant that it could duel again.

Safety related or not, this is terrible for the guest experience.

I understand the point of this but I've brought my cell on HRRR plenty of times and made sure to secure it in a cargo pocket (bigger stuff goes in a locker). This new policy looks bad and will be super annoying.

Tony Perkis

Sometimes I wonder what goes through their heads when they make decisions like this and the water.
It's a test, and judging by the fact that the metal detectors are gone, I'm guessing the test didn't prove favorable early results to warrant continuing (especially on a slower afternoon rush).

Banning the water bottles made sense. Sneaking vodka into the Mardi Gras party would have been exceedingly easy.

TalkingHead

It's a test, and judging by the fact that the metal detectors are gone, I'm guessing the test didn't prove favorable early results to warrant continuing (especially on a slower afternoon rush).

What can they learn from a 3-hour long test? Seems like an awful small sample size.

The fact they even needed to "test" this...

Banning the water bottles made sense. Sneaking vodka into the Mardi Gras party would have been exceedingly easy.

Someone wanting to sneak booze in can still find a way. People will just avoid carrying their vodka or rum in water bottles, that's all.

Tony Perkis

What can they learn from a 3-hour long test? Seems like an awful small sample size.

The fact they even needed to "test" this...

Even so, it's only a test. I don't see what the big deal is until it proves to be a noticeable deterrent for one's enjoyment on an everyday basis. And if loose articles are that big an issue (and I don't know if it is), then get used to losing out on 2 minutes of your life putting stuff in a free locker.

Someone wanting to sneak booze in can still find a way. People will just avoid carrying their vodka or rum in water bottles, that's all.

There will always be manageable ways, but sneaking in a pocket flask of whiskey is much less damaging than sneaking in 20oz of vodka. For occasions that have notoriously high binge drinking numbers, from a liability standpoint, it's worth killing the bottles for a very short time of the year.

Source: college football undergrad.

TalkingHead

Even so, it's only a test. I don't see what the big deal is until it proves to be a noticeable deterrent for one's enjoyment on an everyday basis. And if loose articles are that big an issue (and I don't know if it is), then get used to losing out on 2 minutes of your life putting stuff in a free locker.

That's another issue. They have nowhere near enough lockers if everyone's required to stow every single loose article. Just seems like a half-baked idea all around.

Daniel Johnson

I remember getting rained with change once at a six flags, luckily none hit me. and my wife got hit by a Zippo lighter at the state fair last year that fell from a ride, I have no issue with New measures if they are permanent. As quick as people are to cry foul to a lawyer these days, it would seem the park is just looking out for themselves. much like the netting behind HRRR facing out from the blue man group entrance from city walk.

71jason

Can't offer details, but there is a very real issue at the heart of this; however, I think this was the stupidest possible response on Universal's part. More harm than good.

Also, the water bottle ban was lifted within days.

xstech25

I thought the reason water bottles weren't allowed was because of a security threat - then when someone in the media reported the rumor of people bringing alcohol in the park Universal just kind of went with it to take attention off the fact that there was security threat. People bringing alcohol into parks in clear bottles happens every day anyway.

In regards to the metal detectors, yea that really sucks. After the Dragons accident and the pocket knife that fell off of Rockit their execs are probably sh*tting bricks and can;t think of any other way to deal with it.

71jason

I thought the reason water bottles weren't allowed was because of a security threat - then when someone in the media reported the rumor of people bringing alcohol in the park Universal just kind of went with it to take attention off the fact that there was security threat.

Nope, internet hype. Underage drinking incident, apparently whoever it was has a daddy with some stroke in the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

If it was a security threat, don't you think WDW and Sea World would have taken the same precautions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom