Villains Sinister Soirée

Disneymom201

I am a few weeks out from planning our dining. I am deciding on what to do the night of MNSSHP.
I remembered reading last year about the Villians Sininster Soirée but haven't seen anything about it this year. Did anyone do this last year? How was your experience? Is it worth the $99 per person? Has anyone seen if it is happening again this year?
Thanks for any input.

jlsHouston

I'd never heard of that event so I just googled it. Found a write up about it on DisBoards. Kind of sounded like the execution was less than stellar on Disney's part. It is something I would enjoy though and I would probably pay the hefty add-on price once to experience it.

Upvote 0

The Magical Genie 123

No official announcement if it's returning, but it was very successful last year so it should be back. I haven't experienced it, but it's the only place you can find some villains such as Dr. Facilier, Maleficent, Cruella de Vil, and Frollo. I probably wouldn't pay $99 a person for this for my family of 4, since it also cuts into your MNSSHP time, which you're paying a hefty price for as well.

Upvote 0

nicb88

I went to one of the later VSS parties last year. I have to say it was really enjoyable. It was nice to be in the Castle late on and it was extremely entertaining (to me). By all accounts, the later show is better as they don't usher you out for the next one, so things are a little less rushed. Afterwards, too, it was incredible to be on Main Street alone after midnight (closer to 1am), with the MNSSHP mist and lights.

The cheese selection and desserts were interesting and creative, and the interaction with the characters was great. They didn't just take a photo and move on, they actually stopped to chat and, being villains, read you! I would definitely suggest the experience if there are two that night and you can go to the later one.

A couple of tips - don't have a big dinner that evening as the food served is filling, and don't do too much that day as you could be there till 1am (meaning returning to a hotel very late).

Upvote 0

Disneymom201

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your responses. I always try to do something "different" the night of MNSSHP, meaning dining, or scheduling the boys for A Pirates League, etc. Most times I try to get a 4:15/:30 ressie inside the park. Seems like we've eaten at every restaurant inside MK on HP night. Was thinking of trying to get into the new "improved" Wishes Desert Party" then remembered reading about the VSS.
I feel a little rushed this year. We scored a GREAT price on airfare, then started to plan our vacation AFTER we purchased our tix. Decided to do another 4 day cruise, but due to The Dream being dry docked we have to drive to Miami to sail The Magic. The cruise dates fall smack in the middle of our flight, so park time is going to be very limited. Part of me doesn't want to miss a minute in the park @ the HP, but the other half of me really wants to try this, so I'm hoping that they offer it. I called 407-wdw-play the other day and they said they have no word on it. I can make my dining ressies in a few weeks, so just brainstorming on what to do.
I'm so excited....October can't get here soon enough. Thanks again!!!

Upvote 0

nicb88

Thanks so much for your responses. I always try to do something "different" the night of MNSSHP, meaning dining, or scheduling the boys for A Pirates League, etc. Most times I try to get a 4:15/:30 ressie inside the park. Seems like we've eaten at every restaurant inside MK on HP night. Was thinking of trying to get into the new "improved" Wishes Desert Party" then remembered reading about the VSS.
I feel a little rushed this year. We scored a GREAT price on airfare, then started to plan our vacation AFTER we purchased our tix. Decided to do another 4 day cruise, but due to The Dream being dry docked we have to drive to Miami to sail The Magic. The cruise dates fall smack in the middle of our flight, so park time is going to be very limited. Part of me doesn't want to miss a minute in the park @ the HP, but the other half of me really wants to try this, so I'm hoping that they offer it. I called 407-wdw-play the other day and they said they have no word on it. I can make my dining ressies in a few weeks, so just brainstorming on what to do.
I'm so excited....October can't get here soon enough. Thanks again!!!

I would definitely go for the VSS over the Wishes Party if you have the choice, as both are great but VSS is a unique thing during the Halloween Parties only! I do believe there are no MNSSHP Wishes Parties this year (if the website is showing correctly, those nights are grayed out), so definitely go for VSS if it comes available! It's a blast! :)

Upvote 0

Disneymom201

Original Poster
I would definitely go for the VSS over the Wishes Party if you have the choice, as both are great but VSS is a unique thing during the Halloween Parties only! I do believe there are no MNSSHP Wishes Parties this year (if the website is showing correctly, those nights are grayed out), so definitely go for VSS if it comes available! It's a blast! :)
Thanks just anxiously awaiting. Last year it was released in August, if my research is correct :)

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

The VSS, along with other changes to the MNSSHP, changed the whole atmosphere. They took the Mingle away from the Villain's mix and mingle, and the parade was tinkered with float wise, and not for the better, again, imo.

The characters that were at the VSS were in the stage show or the dance party in Frontierland (some of them). So going in to meet Dr. Facilier never got accomplished as I wasn't shelling out extra money on top of extra money for desserts...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nicb88

The VSS, along with other changes to the MNSSHP, changed the whole atmosphere. They took the Mingle away from the Villain's mix and mingle, and the parade was tinkered with float wise, and not for the better, again, imo.

The characters that were at the VSS were in the stage show or the dance party in Frontierland (some of them). So going into meet Dr. Facilier never got accomplished as I wasn't shelling out extra money on top of extra money for desserts...

Sadly nothing stays the same, though the VSS did change some of the other events/meets as you mention which for some will be a 'downgrade'. Personally, however, I felt the overall entertainment and atmosphere at the Soirée was something different and intimate that wasn't a part of the MNSSHP as a whole. So I felt it worthwhile - obviously it was a pricey affair that I wouldn't do every year, but as a one off it was a great experience.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I like the aspect of having an assigned area to watch the parade. But I thought the event in the castle too up way too much time. I felt that I missed out on most of the party by the time I got out of the castle. They needed to shorten that event to maybe 45 min or less. There was a lot of down time waiting for things to happen. The deserts were really tasty and fun.

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

Sadly nothing stays the same, though the VSS did change some of the other events/meets as you mention which for some will be a 'downgrade'.

Yes, it changed things quite a bit. Disney did a bait and switch on all the early party-goers (I was at the Sept. 9 party which was the 2nd one). They introduced this VSS a week or so prior to the first party along with all the other changes. This did not go over well with party guests, just like the Villains Unleashed at DHS. People were even getting refunds on those early parties I believe.

As for it being a 'downgrade' to some, party guests throughout the summer, who bought their tickets well in advance, were told that certain villains would be out, so yes, it was a downgrade. They were aware it was still a Villain's Mix and Mingle stage show where you could meet with characters AFTER their show. Disney changed all that abruptly with a weeks notice and it definitely changed the scope of the night for a lot of people. I know we were planning where the to get set up for the stage show so we could meet certain characters, but once that first party happened and they changed it all, we luckily had time to change our route.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mousehockey37

Thanks just anxiously awaiting. Last year it was released in August, if my research is correct :)

Yes, August and this left a sour taste with people that went to the first few parties. As I stated in my posts, they took villains away from a hard ticket event without replacing them and put them in an upsell event within the hard ticket event. People were not happy about not being able to see Maleficent (with that movie being out last year).

This is why I was surprised when there was no upsell Meet and Greet with the Frozen squad for the Christmas parties. It did "work" for the MNSSHP with this event, but maybe Disney rethought its strategy that there would be riots if Anna and Elsa were taken away from the party and put in a soiree....

Upvote 0

nicb88

Yes, it changed things quite a bit. Disney did a bait and switch on all the early party-goers (I was at the Sept. 9 party which was the 2nd one). They introduced this VSS a week or so prior to the first party along with all the other changes. This did not go over well with party guests, just like the Villains Unleashed at DHS. People were even getting refunds on those early parties I believe.

As for it being a 'downgrade' to some, party guests throughout the summer, who bought their tickets well in advance, were told that certain villains would be out, so yes, it was a downgrade. They were aware it was still a Villain's Mix and Mingle stage show where you could meet with characters AFTER their show. Disney changed all that abruptly with a weeks notice and it definitely changed the scope of the night for a lot of people. I know we were planning where the to get set up for the stage show so we could meet certain characters, but once that first party happened and they changed it all, we luckily had time to change our route.

I fully appreciate things changed at short notice, but I don't think people should ever purchase a ticket to go to one of these events expecting everything to stay identical to times that've gone before. They definitely make clear that things can change at short notice, which they evidently did. This is just my opinion, so don't get upset!

Obviously you and others will have felt that the changes made the party less worthwhile, but for many I'm sure they went to the party and still had fun and enjoyed the frivolities despite the change, such as myself. Perhaps the VSS won't even return and the Mix and Mingle will return as was - who knows? The party still went ahead, however, and for the most part was similar in nature to previous years. So for me it's important to just enjoy it for what it is when you go, and not what is no longer. What's the point in worrying over something you can't control?

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

I fully appreciate things changed at short notice, but I don't think people should ever purchase a ticket to go to one of these events expecting everything to stay identical to times that've gone before. They definitely make clear that things can change at short notice, which they evidently did. This is just my opinion, so don't get upset!

Obviously you and others will have felt that the changes made the party less worthwhile, but for many I'm sure they went to the party and still had fun and enjoyed the frivolities despite the change, such as myself. Perhaps the VSS won't even return and the Mix and Mingle will return as was - who knows? The party still went ahead, however, and for the most part was similar in nature to previous years. So for me it's important to just enjoy it for what it is when you go, and not what is no longer. What's the point in worrying over something you can't control?

What's the point in worrying?

When I'm paying to go to a party to see things that had been advertised for numerous months prior, then someone has a bright idea to add an upsell event into the hard ticket party and take away other "attractions" to the hard ticket event without replacing them, that's a reason to be upset and worried.

It was a bait and switch on Disney's part and the lines for refunds there. My dgf was going to get her allergen free candy but the line for refunds was so long at GS that she didn't even bother.

We did have fun, I'm not saying we didn't. Were we disappointed with how things turned out? Yes. Will we be going to any type of party anytime soon? No. If we go again around that time frame, I'll spend less money and add an extra day on my hopper passes instead of shelling out the money for that particular hard ticket event because obviously Disney isn't able to pull through on certain customer promises.

It's one thing to have to change availability of a character or the parade (due to weather), but to totally add an upsell (which more than likely wasn't something that just happened overnight) and take away the mingle without notice? That's not good business practice when the first party was less than a week away.

Upvote 0

nicb88

What's the point in worrying?

When I'm paying to go to a party to see things that had been advertised for numerous months prior, then someone has a bright idea to add an upsell event into the hard ticket party and take away other "attractions" to the hard ticket event without replacing them, that's a reason to be upset and worried.

It was a bait and switch on Disney's part and the lines for refunds there. My dgf was going to get her allergen free candy but the line for refunds was so long at GS that she didn't even bother.

We did have fun, I'm not saying we didn't. Were we disappointed with how things turned out? Yes. Will we be going to any type of party anytime soon? No. If we go again around that time frame, I'll spend less money and add an extra day on my hopper passes instead of shelling out the money for that particular hard ticket event because obviously Disney isn't able to pull through on certain customer promises.

It's one thing to have to change availability of a character or the parade (due to weather), but to totally add an upsell (which more than likely wasn't something that just happened overnight) and take away the mingle without notice? That's not good business practice when the first party was less than a week away.

I fully appreciate the disappointment, but as a seasoned Disney visitor I don't expect things to stay the same as advertised (is that a good thing? No. Is there anything I can do? Again, no). They make clear that things can change from what's advertised, and it happens regularly, so I personally just think that beyond the initial 'darn that sucks', it's better to just let go and enjoy what is available as opposed to worrying about what's not. Again, this is just my opinion, as I stated. Not everyone feels the same. I just think I'm lucky enough to be there and experience it when many aren't, so just make the most. :)

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

I fully appreciate the disappointment, but as a seasoned Disney visitor I don't expect things to stay the same as advertised (is that a good thing? No. Is there anything I can do? Again, no). They make clear that things can change from what's advertised, and it happens regularly, so I personally just think that beyond the initial 'darn that sucks', it's better to just let go and enjoy what is available as opposed to worrying about what's not. Again, this is just my opinion, as I stated. Not everyone feels the same. I just think I'm lucky enough to be there and experience it when many aren't, so just make the most. :)

You're missing the point. Find the thread about the Soiree when it was announced. It was a rather long and interesting read. Disney took things away from their hard ticket event without replacing them on short notice. Do not get this confused with refurbs or weather related problems. This was a poor business decision that Disney made to add a "private" additional fee event on top of a hard ticket event (outside of the normal day/hopper pass). Sure, sadly, people threw tons of money at it blindly, not even knowing what it was or who would be there, but for the rest of us that were able to just attend the party itself, Disney's ideas and changes that went unannounced or were announced late, changed the experience and made it NOT worth the $62 ticket price, but that of some lesser number.

Again, we had a good time. We did go with the flow of it, but we came away extremely disappointed with the shorter parade, the mingle-less mix and mingle and the unavailability of characters that are hard to find/event specific that were advertised throughout the summer being moved into the Soiree and away from the party fee paying public.

Emergencies happen and I'm completely understanding that if the only person that plays Maleficent gets the flu and can't make it, yeah, I don't want her to give me the flu. It's something else when Disney has a business strategy to sell an event, characters and all, then take away the advertised characters and put them in an "intimate" upsold setting.

Upvote 0

nicb88

You're missing the point. Find the thread about the Soiree when it was announced. It was a rather long and interesting read. Disney took things away from their hard ticket event without replacing them on short notice. Do not get this confused with refurbs or weather related problems. This was a poor business decision that Disney made to add a "private" additional fee event on top of a hard ticket event (outside of the normal day/hopper pass). Sure, sadly, people threw tons of money at it blindly, not even knowing what it was or who would be there, but for the rest of us that were able to just attend the party itself, Disney's ideas and changes that went unannounced or were announced late, changed the experience and made it NOT worth the $62 ticket price, but that of some lesser number.

Again, we had a good time. We did go with the flow of it, but we came away extremely disappointed with the shorter parade, the mingle-less mix and mingle and the unavailability of characters that are hard to find/event specific that were advertised throughout the summer being moved into the Soiree and away from the party fee paying public.

Emergencies happen and I'm completely understanding that if the only person that plays Maleficent gets the flu and can't make it, yeah, I don't want her to give me the flu. It's something else when Disney has a business strategy to sell an event, characters and all, then take away the advertised characters and put them in an "intimate" upsold setting.

Once again, you're missing my point. You're right in that it's not good practice saying things will be available and then them not being. However, I'm simply putting across my way of dealing with it. I don't feel that there's any point in expectations until you're there, as we all know Disney have a habit of changing things at the last minute.

Is that a good thing? As I said previously, no, but it's what we deal with. So I let it go and just enjoy what there is, as opposed to what there isn't. The value of the party for me is much to do with the less busy environment and the enhanced entertainment offerings. Yes, they took away some of what was there previously, but there's still plenty to enjoy that isn't there on a normal evening, even just down to seeing people having a blast in their Halloween costumes! So for me, I don't see the point in feeling disappointed. You felt disappointment, and that's fine but I don't see why I should also feel it just because you had an issue with what Disney did here.

Alas, it seems all too often that on this site opinions aren't allowed, and another person tries to tell someone they're wrong. There is no right or wrong as everyone is entitled to what they believe. But going back to the main point, if you can afford it and enjoy that kind of thing, I feel the VSS is a fun event and adds to the enjoyment of the MNSSHP if you let it. I'm not going to comment any further on the thread as I'm just repeating myself.

@Disneymom201 I hope you get to go and enjoy yourself! Have a great vacation!

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

Once again, you're missing my point. You're right in that it's not good practice saying things will be available and then them not being. However, I'm simply putting across my way of dealing with it. I don't feel that there's any point in expectations until you're there, as we all know Disney have a habit of changing things at the last minute.

Is that a good thing? As I said previously, no, but it's what we deal with. So I let it go and just enjoy what there is, as opposed to what there isn't. The value of the party for me is much to do with the less busy environment and the enhanced entertainment offerings. Yes, they took away some of what was there previously, but there's still plenty to enjoy that isn't there on a normal evening, even just down to seeing people having a blast in their Halloween costumes! So for me, I don't see the point in feeling disappointed. You felt disappointment, and that's fine but I don't see why I should also feel it just because you had an issue with what Disney did here.

Alas, it seems all too often that on this site opinions aren't allowed, and another person tries to tell someone they're wrong. There is no right or wrong as everyone is entitled to what they believe. But going back to the main point, if you can afford it and enjoy that kind of thing, I feel the VSS is a fun event and adds to the enjoyment of the MNSSHP if you let it. I'm not going to comment any further on the thread as I'm just repeating myself.

@Disneymom201 I hope you get to go and enjoy yourself! Have a great vacation!

Well, for those of us that don't get to Disney as often as we'd like/hope because it is getting more expensive, it'd be in Disney's best interest to give the people what they paid for. As it was, others thought the same way that they did not get what they paid for and demanded their money back. Disney paid that price. This is more than likely why there was no Soiree at the MVMCP or that it hasn't made the radar for coming back this year at the MNSSHP. Could it all change? Yes. Should it change NOW instead of right before the party? Yes, that's just good business.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with Disney, it was the events number you called for the Soiree last year. She said they've had a couple meetings and looks like no Soiree for 2015.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom