PHOTOS - New meet and greet area constructed at the Japan Pavilion to celebrate Japanese youth

dreamfinder

My (other) thoughts exactly. I've been thinking for awhile now that it would be great if Disney struck a deal with maybe Funimation or one of those companies to host an Anime convention in Epcot for one weekend every year, similar to Festival of the Masters.

They've got a whole warehouse in the back of the pavilion (not sure about the size as I've never seen it in person) but I thought that would make a great "central hub" for the event or if it's too small use World Showplace. Since Disney already uses Flower and Garden/Food and Wine to cater to the "drunk crowd", also they attract the "marathon crowd" with their multiple races every year. Why not make some money on another fan base out there? It would only be for a weekend so non-Anime fans wont have to put up with "annoying okatus" running around and it would be a great way to showcase upcoming shows/movies/etc. as well as maybe bring in some actors and actresses as guests similar to SWW such as Yōko Hikasa for example (I know, I know, it HIGHLY improbable but this is my example so let's go with that).

I'm well aware that this would not be everyone's cup of tea, just like those RunDisney event are not catered to me. But I believe the fan base it big enough to support a one a year event such as this.

Ok, I'm done. Feel free to scoff away at the idea (because this is the internet after all);)

It's not their IP/brand. The other events you talk about aren't tied to a non Disney IP. This would be. And they don't like doing that. (Although they used to. Barbie and TMNT anyone?) Heck, they barely liked promoting the fact that they were the US distributor for a bunch of Ghibli films. I'm sure you could do something like this out of park at one of the convention centers, but getting it in park would be highly unlikely in my mind.

NMBC1993

It's not their IP/brand. The other events you talk about aren't tied to a non Disney IP. This would be. And they don't like doing that. (Although they used to. Barbie and TMNT anyone?) Heck, they barely liked promoting the fact that they were the US distributor for a bunch of Ghibli films. I'm sure you could do something like this out of park at one of the convention centers, but getting it in park would be highly unlikely in my mind.

That's why I suggested they team up with the companies who do own these IPs. Disney did not own Star Wars when SWW was first introduced (sure, they already had an existing attraction but they still did not own the actual IP). All Disney would be doing is hosting the event, their profit would come from the event admission, food, exclusive merchandise that DOES feature Disney owned IPs (because they always have to slap Mickey onto some piece of merchandise), etc. while it would be up to the other companies to bring forth what they want to represent.

Again, this is all hypothetical fun and more of a "what if" scenario. As you've pointed out, Disney doesn't even promote the fact that they own the American rights to distribute Studio Ghibli films so I doubt they'd do something on this level.

Edit: Also, look at Universal. They bring in several properties that they do not own for HHN every year. These kinds of things can happen, it just depends on the two companies coming to an agreement aka Marvel/Disney and Sony.

Last edited:

NMBC1993

Sorry you're having a bad day. Mine is going well.

Actually, my day is going great thanks. Glad yours is as well.

I'm just pointing out my perplexion as to why someone would ask for MORE things devoted to younger guests in a theme park destination that seems to now cater exclusively to that age group? If anything we need more attractions and entertainment that speaks to either adults or non-children families.

It's not like there's a shortage of "family-friendly fun" at WDW and if anything it's only getting worse...

Edit: Ok I admit, maybe I just read your post wrong. Were you asking if this new offering WAS for kids or that you don't understand it and they should think ABOUT the kids? The way you worded it could mean either or to me, so I took it as one of those "Yeah, but what about the kids..." kind of thing.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Baymax anywhere could cause costume issues LOL

A lot of sharp objects would cause.......issues...
wEG7VAhAHHPx.gif

MarkTwain

I like the idea, personally. I think for the most part, World Showcase has aged very well (much better than 90s Future World), but I would still argue that the focus now reads as a little too 80s-era travelogue. A little too historical postcard, and not quite enough about what makes these countries interesting places to go in real life.

I think it'd be great if every pavilion had one small splash of "modern" in it. Something that can be updated easily, showing not the temples and castles they built hundreds of years ago, but what they're contributing to global culture today. I think in his saga of a thread, Eddie Sotto mentioned the idea of having the newest Ferrari on display in Italy or the ASIMO robot in Japan.

Japan is a very lively and dynamic country. While the quiet zen gardens of the Japan pavilion are certainly beautiful, I think a M&G like this will give the place just what it needs to feel a bit more real and current, without disrupting the existing pavilion.

KeithVH

Well, if they did Harajuku, then they'd also have to do some gothic lolita . . .

Actually, if they could bring over one of the AKB48 teams, that'd be a big hit and a great entertainment add.

Thumper 32

Check the permits from Dec 2014. Looks like it was the OP. Don't believe this has anything to do with the entertainment. Probably a dzone.

Also of interest is that auditions are still going on across the country for this new act, and the audition posting states that relocation to FL is by June 2015. So it would seem like this could be something else since it's unlikely it would have been built so far in advance.

Matt_Black

I like the idea, personally. I think for the most part, World Showcase has aged very well (much better than 90s Future World), but I would still argue that the focus now reads as a little too 80s-era travelogue. A little too historical postcard, and not quite enough about what makes these countries interesting places to go in real life.

I think it'd be great if every pavilion had one small splash of "modern" in it. Something that can be updated easily, showing not the temples and castles they built hundreds of years ago, but what they're contributing to global culture today. I think in his saga of a thread, Eddie Sotto mentioned the idea of having the newest Ferrari on display in Italy or the ASIMO robot in Japan.

Japan is a very lively and dynamic country. While the quiet zen gardens of the Japan pavilion are certainly beautiful, I think a M&G like this will give the place just what it needs to feel a bit more real and current, without disrupting the existing pavilion.

As far as modern goes, I do like how they switch the Beatles cover band for a band that plays a wider selection of British rock- The Clash, The Police, The Who, etc. Similarly, Mo' Rockin' was great while they were around. And finally, if they ever had "Hier Kommt Alex" as background music to the German Pavilion, I'd be as happy as a pig in filth.

Nmoody1

Maybe they could have Hiro and the girl (is it honey lemon) or Baymax in his super hero outfit?

The Harajuku girls should be kept for the street!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom