Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

No one mentioned retracting anything into the earth.
Martin, you know that I have expressed, many times, the respect that I have for you and your knowledge of all things Disney. But, I must interject here that the only thing that has been mentioned as a possible feasible option is the retractable posts for lighting. No other option, of real value has been detailed or discussed that wouldn't involve placement someplace else that may, or may not, affect the purpose of the lighting to begin with. Further away and then more powerful, perhaps glaring lighting would be the option so that it is effective from a distance. In fact, we don't even know for sure what they are for, yet we seem to know that it can go elsewhere with the same end result. The plain fact of the matter is that whatever they are there for the detriment to the show is at most, minimal. In fact, I'm not even sure why I respond to it because I feel it is such a minor whine point that it really isn't worthy of any discussion much less this much.

the comment wasn't exactly accurate anyways since below that is a tunnel
I think it has been determined, not sure, but I know I read it here someplace, that the utiladors do not run directly under the hub. However, there could be tons of other stuff, water, sewage of all natures, electrical (not much of that visible above ground) that would make that option not doable within the boundaries of common sense and practicality.

jdmdisney99

13272k_tun2.jpg

from @danlb_2000 here

Zweiland

I have only been to Disneyland a handful of times (most recently in early December), but there is a definite difference with the foliage there. In most instances, it looks and feels more organic to the park than at WDW. In particular, I am thinking about the right side of the hub as you make your way toward the Matterhorn, the area along the river in front of the Haunted Mansion, and even in Fantasyland right behind the castle. Trees and shrubs just look like they have always been there and belong right where they are.

For that matter, even the new foliage on Buena Vista Street looks great. Of course, possibly my favorite area in either of the California parks is the Grizzly Peak Recreational Area. The landscaping in that area, combined with Grizzly Peak, is fantastic.
My favorite examplse of foliage at Disneyland are the eucalyptus trees behind the City Hall that serve as a visual transition to Adventureland.

They actually always HAVE been there- they were saved from the orange groves that were there before Disneyland existed.

1956:

changes_cityhall1956.jpg

2006:

changes_cityhall2006.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin, you know that I have expressed, many times, the respect that I have for you and your knowledge of all things Disney.
Thank you.

I meant the lighting doesn't need to go into the ground. Look at Epcot. The lamp heads are arranged vertical, not horizontal. They retract into shelters above grade, be it a Canadian rock or a Parisian street sign.

A horizontal head would take up less room. Even more so one not designed in 1982.

But it won't happen. The jobs done. We're stuck with what we have. Maybe we should be grateful we won't trip in the dark. Stop thinking of what could have been and all that. I'll bow out of this one now.

erclvrb18

doesnt it look a bit strange to be in a silent hill esque utility tunnel when a fast walking mickey turns a corner and going right towards you?
I have never seen mickey in the tunnel .... ive seen a lot of princesses in the cafe etc but never any fur characters.

I did however seen mickey backstage many times when i worked in the disney convention center... It made me so happy seeing characters in a place that rarely had characters.

Next Big Thing

but to be honest the map really isn't completely accurate it does not show the character costume room or the many many break rooms and computer training areas housed down there... thanks tho..
lol, it's not meant to show all of that. It's meant to show a basic outline of where the tunnels go and where the stairwells are. That's it.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
It's ridiculous. But then, I loath the use of the Forecourt Stage as well. I hate that they close the tunnel through the castle so many times per day and really, really hate that they have permanently walled off half the mosaics within the castle as well.
The murals weren't walled off last Christmas, is that new?

ABQ

The murals weren't walled off last Christmas, is that new?
It's not the 5 murals on the west side, those have always been visible, however there are more on the east side, buried behind castle stage show support walls that were put up so long ago that people don't notice them. I know more are there, but cannot find any pictures as it's been quite some time that they were hidden. But those big ugly blue wooden walls on the east of the breezeway are not original design.

halltd

Well, I've never been in the tunnels, so you both win.
There are tunnels at the MK? Really? Are these new?

Seriously though, the Backstage Magic tour they used to have way back in the day was awesome. My brothers and I did it as kids and we got to go in the Utilidors. I'll never forget that tour...I can still see the tunnels vividly in my head. Come to think of it, we did many of those type of tours that don't even exist any more.

NearTheEars

There are tunnels at the MK? Really? Are these new?

Seriously though, the Backstage Magic tour they used to have way back in the day was awesome. My brothers and I did it as kids and we got to go in the Utilidors. I'll never forget that tour...I can still see the tunnels vividly in my head. Come to think of it, we did many of those type of tours that don't even exist any more.

Indeed there are. And Mr. Iger recently asked them to keep digging, and they actually made it to China ... Shanghai.

Guess mom was right. No word on whether the children there are in fact starving or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom