Monorail Update January 2015

Brad Bishop

Would it do any good if members of this site and other WDW fan sites came together say on a FB page created to call attention to this particular issue? WDW/TDO management would be forced to face the issue publicly and deal with it before it spreads to bad publicity.

So instead of "settling for little" like mentioned above, we basically make a big stink about it all over the internet until WDW is forced to announce something like a major overhaul or replacement. Thoughts?

Having tried something similar on the Disney Blog (I mentioned the blurry face of Buzz Lightyear and other similarly projected animatronics one time), you will be edited out. What they want is happy-happy, joy-joy.

If you can work the words, "love WDW," and "...so magical!!" in then you'll get posted. If you say anything negative, in the least, you'll be edited out.

gmajew

Premium Member
I wasn't referring to preventing food and drink being consumed, more that they are able to keep quick service restaurants etc. very clean, despite the fact that there are food and drinks involved, and being spilled all over the place. The monorails, if given proper attention, could be kept to the same standard.

Steve - it is a different animal. Can it be done yes but it is not like a QSR establishment when people get up and a cast member has the opportunity to wipe down the table and clean up a mess. These trains are in service the entire day. To do what needs to be done each train would need to be shut down for a period of time to be cleaned out and put back in opening day condition.

I just don't see how that can happen with the way they are used non stop.

Now do they need some love and replace the cracked and broken interior no doubt but it is no where as easy as doing it through out the day like a restaurant.

COProgressFan

Steve - it is a different animal. Can it be done yes but it is not like a QSR establishment when people get up and a cast member has the opportunity to wipe down the table and clean up a mess. These trains are in service the entire day. To do what needs to be done each train would need to be shut down for a period of time to be cleaned out and put back in opening day condition.

Now do they need some love and replace the cracked and broken interior no doubt but it is no where as easy as doing it through out the day like a restaurant.

No one is asking them to hold up the trains every hour to scrub them down.

But do you at least admit they could put more effort into the overnight hours to make sure they're in their best shape. Or rotate a monorail out of service for a week or so for a total interior rehab?

gmajew

Premium Member
No one is asking them to hold up the trains every hour to scrub them down.

But do you at least admit they could put more effort into the overnight hours to make sure they're in their best shape. Or rotate a monorail out of service for a week or so for a total interior rehab?

Re read my last line... I said they need to get the love and attention they need on the stuff that is broken.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

It has been brought up in previous posts quite a few times, but airliners are a great example of just how it can be done, as are quick service restaurants.

It takes a couple of things to achieve this:

1. Thorough overnight cleaning.
Now in the case of the monorails, we have had cases where a monorail has been out of service for months, and returned to service in absolutely filthy condition. It is clear that not even the most basic cleaning was being done overnight, or indeed after a lengthy service. That may have since improved.

2. Complete replacement of the interior soft goods on an annual basis. Not once in 25 years.

3. Complete strip and refit of the interior every 10 years with completely new interior.

4. Complete replacement of the entire train every 20 years.

If these things were done I think we see a significantly improved condition of the interior. I don't think it sounds too unreasonable does it?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I wasn't referring to preventing food and drink being consumed, more that they are able to keep quick service restaurants etc. very clean, despite the fact that there are food and drinks involved, and being spilled all over the place. The monorails, if given proper attention, could be kept to the same standard.

If they chose different materials to cover the surfaces it would be possible. Stainless steel and tile you can hose off :)

How about requiring all strollers to be folded, no open beverages or foodstuff consumption on all the vehicles ?

JoeCamel

If they chose different materials to cover the surfaces it would be possible. Stainless steel and tile you can hose off :)

They could just spray bedliner throughout the car and it comes in several colors so you could make designs then just hose them out as needed. Not the best themeing but certainly practical

Edit:Sp

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

well as of this moment they SHOULD have three trains down... (running resort point to point is one train, 4 on express, and up to 4 on EPCOT) makes nine in rotation and three out of service...

PhotoDave219

It has been brought up in previous posts quite a few times, but airliners are a great example of just how it can be done, as are quick service restaurants.

Now in the case of the monorails, we have had cases where a monorail has been out of service for months, and returned to service in absolutely filthy condition. It is clear that not even the most basic cleaning was being done overnight, or indeed after a lengthy service. That may have since improved.

2. Complete replacement of the interior soft goods on an annual basis. Not once in 25 years.

3. Complete strip and refit of the interior every 10 years with completely new interior.

If these things were done I think we see a significantly improved condition of the interior. I don't think it sounds too unreasonable does it?

Thats exactly what they need to do.

gmajew

Premium Member

I agree the replacement schedule make a ton of sense... but the airlines bit is not possible... not in front of the waiting passengers.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

Well said. It can absolutely be done, they just choose not to. There's absolutely no excuse for the condition of the train interiors.

articos

Oh okay, I misunderstood your point. Until all the carpets are changed out, however, the increased custodial attention will not be noticed because the old carpets are beyond repair. I believe a difference will be seen with the new carpets, but it still won't be perfect because guests can cause the most obnoxious stains.
I'm also gonna disagree with you on this one, and you know I'm a fan of yours. The company managed to keep the trains in excellent condition for decades with guests pulling the same crap. This is a budget and staffing issue. I also think there's a difference in training now with SOP. I haven't seen a transportation cast member "sweep" the trains in years - meaning, when a train pulled in, I used to see cast walk each car and look in to grab trash - that rarely happens now. I'm not saying specifics, but in general. I've seen transportation management walk by garbage on the platform and in the trains and do nothing. When a train has fluid leak or grease stain on a panel, there used to be a cleaning rag available to wipe it down EACH time when the train came in - that never happens any more. If a door is malfunctioning, it was reported and fixed that night, not left that way for cast to slam their weight against for weeks on end. This is all stuff that I have personally witnessed. Even on the platform during load, cast used to spread out and direct/talk to the guests as they came in - now more often, they clump and talk to each other, which would have gotten you written up years ago. Drivers used to come out and chat with guests in the cars by the cabs for a bit, which doesn't happen nearly as often any more. It's all changes in practices that have made the norm in the system worse, unfortunately.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Airliners have a distinct advantage in that the interiors are modular and there are quite a few of them in service so interior parts are a commodity item in the open market.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Airliners have a distinct advantage in that the interiors are modular and there are quite a few of them in service so interior parts are a commodity item in the open market.
But that applies to nearly everything in theme parks. So much of it is custom made, or produced in very limited supplies. That is the nature of the business they are in, and there are ways to make it work. Not cheap, but it can be done.

Grumpy1973

Something about comparing the monorail interiors to Major Airline jet interiors makes me scratch my head, but don't ask me why as I'm not completely sure yet.. Thinking out loud but maybe because passengers spend thousands of dollars on JUST THAT ONE FLIGHT, not thousands of dollars on park admission, snacks, hotel fare, dinners, etc. Maybe if disney charges a fee to ride the monorails and that fee goes ONLY to upkeep costs of the monorail system we could compare it to the interiors of a Delta 757

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Something about comparing the monorail interiors to Major Airline jet interiors makes me scratch my head, but don't ask me why as I'm not completely sure yet.. Thinking out loud but maybe because passengers spend thousands of dollars on JUST THAT ONE FLIGHT, not thousands of dollars on park admission, snacks, hotel fare, dinners, etc. Maybe if disney charges a fee to ride the monorails and that fee goes ONLY to upkeep costs of the monorail system we could compare it to the interiors of a Delta 757
Why does Disney need to charge a separate fee to do the upkeep that they should do anyway?

asianway

I'm also gonna disagree with you on this one, and you know I'm a fan of yours. The company managed to keep the trains in excellent condition for decades with guests pulling the same ****. This is a budget and staffing issue. I also think there's a difference in training now with SOP. I haven't seen a transportation cast member "sweep" the trains in years - meaning, when a train pulled in, I used to see cast walk each car and look in to grab trash - that rarely happens now. I'm not saying specifics, but in general. I've seen transportation management walk by garbage on the platform and in the trains and do nothing. When a train has fluid leak or grease stain on a panel, there used to be a cleaning rag available to wipe it down EACH time when the train came in - that never happens any more. If a door is malfunctioning, it was reported and fixed that night, not left that way for cast to slam their weight against for weeks on end. This is all stuff that I have personally witnessed. Even on the platform during load, cast used to spread out and direct/talk to the guests as they came in - now more often, they clump and talk to each other, which would have gotten you written up years ago. Drivers used to come out and chat with guests in the cars by the cabs for a bit, which doesn't happen nearly as often any more. It's all changes in practices that have made the norm in the system worse, unfortunately.
Remember what year they dissolved the Transportation Company?

asianway

They used to- that's the question I just asked @articos

WDW1974

But they manage it in quick service restaurants, hotel lobby areas, even the busses. It can be done if there is a desire to do so.

So true, MAGICal Steve. Common sense, but still true! :)

I get so ill when I hear people ... alleged fans ... making excuses for things like the ghetto-like shape of the monorails because I'd say for WDW's first quarter century plus, they had no trouble keeping them almost like new daily. Now, they are filthy, reek, are falling apart and do give pause as to how safe they actually may be.

If Disney in the 70s-90s, could keep them like new, then today's Disney, one that makes record profits quarterly and costs multiples of what it did in the past to gain admission can too.

They don't want to.

And fans who make excuses for them certainly don't help the matter at all.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom