Indiana Jones Adventure - The Temple's 20th Anniversary

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

From 'concept'.....

...to reality..!

Now that the Attraction is 'open'....let us explore.
Let us begin with the spectacular themed queue, which is just about as famous as the ride-through portion of the Attraction.

Some photos from my personal collection to share showcasing some details -

Mural of Mara bestowing his gifts upon the worthy, located in the Temple entrance just as you enter inside to interior queue -

Marvelous little details are what make this queue the legendary place it is.
Here, below the above mural, is a small wooden work table that has this detailed journey of Dr. Jones telling you a lot about the 'history' of the Temple.

Also on the table among the excavation tools is this note from Indy to Sallah, noting his current situation.

How many people pass by this on a daily basis and totally miss this?
Stuff like this is why i so love this Attraction !
Every time you go through, you find something new to discover if you take the time to soak up the atmosphere.

Pathway leading to the circular observatory -

Ceiling view in this area -

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Continuing our exploration of the famous queue ....

Entrance to the 'Bat Cave' area -

More 'Maraglyphics' to decipher before entering the cave -

Do not disturb the bats......!
If you are tall enough, and peer up into one of the larger holes in the ceiling, it is said you will spot a collection of little bats staring back at you.

Entrance to the infamous 'Spike Room'.
Remember, do not pull on the bamboo pole or certain doom is sure to befall you !

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

A atmospheric view of the pre-show area of the queue, showing one of three stone tablets depicting Mara's three gifts.
One can have a good time here trying to decipher the 'stories' on these tablets -

( photo from MagicKingdoms .com )

Another view of the three tablets -

As one watches the droll 'newsreel film' in this particular area of the queue, be sure to turn around and take a look at the clicking projector up above.
If you look towards the upper left corner, you just might spot the famous 'Eeyore' parking sign.

For those who may not know what this refers to, it was a fun little in-joke placed in the queue by the designers to reference the parking area that had previously occupied the land the 'Indiana Jones Adventure' was built on.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
After you depart of 'newsreel' viewing are, you enter the small area of the queue where Dr. Jones' office is located.
This area, although small in comparison to the rest of the queue, is packed full of little details fans of both the ride and film can enjoy searching for.

Indiana's on-site office, filled with rare antiquities -

( photo from TouringPlans. com )

Indy in his office, in a photo spread used to promote the new Attraction in a 1995 issue of Disney Magazine -

A closer view of that map Dr. Jones is examining in the above photo.
Notice the clever references to the Jungle Cruise in the scene at the bottom left, and the foreboding foreshadowing of your adventures in the Temple -

( photo from MiceChat . com )

Framed on the wall of this office area is this fantastic themed 'map' of the ride layout.
Just one of many 'hidden gems' waiting to be discovered.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
So much more to see in the queue, but i think it's about time we went ahead and took a 'virtual tour' and take a ride!

Here is a video that will give you a good 'virtual' walkthrough experience of the queue ( including a operational bamboo pole in the 'Spike Room' ) and a typical ride through.
Enjoy!

For ride audio fans like me, enjoy this quality sampling of Troop Transport on-board audio and relive your adventure in your own imagination ....at least, up until the 'Rat Cave'.

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

Dear WDW...
Please build a clone of this. It's better than anything you've built in the past fifteen years.

Sincerely,
A guy begging for a real E-ticket.

They did build a clone of it. The only catch is you have to gouge out your eyes and ears and it's all yours at Animal Kingdom. An exact match once you remove 2 of your 5 senses.

It's hard to believe they could take the same RV system and ride layout and create something that is as bad as Dinosaur.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

So what is a venture within the Temple walls without one of the most innovative ride vehicles ever, the 'Troop Transport'?
'Indiana Jones Adventure' would be a lot less exciting if it were not for the creation of this ingenious means of transporting explorers by such a creative means.

Here Cast Members perform their early morning duty of tidying up the Transports before they begin their long day traversing unknown territory beyond.
Oh...and checking to make sure there are no snakes, bugs, or rats aboard before departures begin is a must, too !

( photo from the OC Register )

CMs also keep the Transports active backstage by constantly performing regular check ups on them from a technology standpoint to ensure they are running as they should.
Here's a peek into the backstage maintenance bay where a Transport vehicle is receiving a test run to make sure everything is in order.

As it goes through the ride programming motions, a watchful eye nearby and a handy computer system ensures all is working as it should.

Your average Guest has no idea how incredibly complicated it is to keep all aspects of this Attraction in good working order...especially the ride vehicles themselves.
Your average Guest also probably is unaware of another fun hidden detail present on these very Transports - a sly tribute to 17 key people involved in the creation of the Attraction itself.

Each Transport has the initials and birthdates of Imagineers who had a substantial role in bringing this adventure to life.
Next time you ride, see if you can figure out who is who as the Transports roll by.

Here is my personal favorite...

( photo from a recent venture )

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I find the 'Boulder Room' finale one of highlights.
Interested in hearing why you have this impression, Endor.

Is it the spare looking 'Rat Room' and painted skeleton designs on the walls in the 'Blow Dart Room' that gives you the impression of them 'running out of money''?
I could understand the slight disappointment one might have at seeing what some may consider 'fun house' paintings on the walls instead of sculpted rock and 'real' dimensional skeletons.

Yes. Everything between the skull room and the boulder is a huge disappointment. You just basically have dark corridors with lame effects and then the dart room is like something out of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

I mean, I LIKE Indy, but I have many issues with it.

You can take my spot on Wednesday.

How would I do that?

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Yes. Everything between the skull room and the boulder is a huge disappointment. You just basically have dark corridors with lame effects and then the dart room is like something out of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

That is understandable.
I personally enjoy the change in pace post-Skull Pit as it gives you a few moments of breathing space.
A slight break from the intense action before the big finale in the Boulder Tunnel.
It is a essential moment to me, as it creates a tension with the pause as Guests have a moment to collect their thoughts and wonder what could possibly be next.

Also i tend to enjoy this area of darkness as the Transports often 'stall out' here which is always fun.
Had many a fun experience with new riders freaking out thinking they are 'trapped' in the Temple with the critters.
It's also fun to hear your Transports engine 'turn over' a few times in a stalled attempt to restart.
Love that !

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I think Tokyo took the better route and added the Smoke Ring effect while you wait for the vehicle to restart. Aside from that, I love everything else of the Disneyland original.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Fun Facts about Disneyland*s *Indiana Jones Adventure* -

The Indiana Jones Adventure cost about $100 million to make and took 7 years to design & build.
Well over 400 Imagineers from all departments within the organization worked on the project.

The ride building is physically huge - The marketing tag line *The Biggest Ride in 40 Years* was more then just a promotional line!
The carefully prepared and aged Temple and it*s many artifacts, as well as all the high tech mechanical systems necessary to operate the ride are housed in a 3 story building, mostly underground.
The entire show building is absolutely massive.
A small part of it can be seen from the Tram loading area outside of the Park gates, painted green and slightly decorated with foliage.

The Troop Transports are capable of departing the loading station for another journey through the Temple every 18 seconds.
There are 17 total Transports, 15 of which are in active use at any given time.
The other two are backstage - one is regularly rotated through maintenance and the other is only rolled out as a backup if one should break down during a days operation.

Each Transport weighs about 7 tons, and can accommodate 12 curious explorers and their handheld treasures.
There are 24 speakers per vehicle, 2 per person, as well as air cannons for effects purposes.
They can travel up to 20 feet a second (but never do), have high beams & low beams, travel on rubber tires, and are four wheel drive.
They are driven by the *brains* of a onboard computer, which communicates with the Show control system through attachments underneath that go through the slot in the ride track to a lower level.

It has been said that nearly 160,000 different things can happen during the ride experience. These are various sequences that are programed into the show system computers and are randomized by each individual Transport.
Each of the Transport vehicles has its own on-board ride control and audio system, allowing it to create the ride combinations automatically.
These can range from a small bump from hydraulics, to a flashing light, to a *stalled* vehicle, or invoke the firey wrath of Mara.

In the area known as the *Snake Temple*, right after you cross the bridge in your Transport vehicle, there are over 15,000 rubber snakes decorating the area....not including the giant Animatronic one!
When the interior designers were finishing up work on this room before the Attraction opened, they did*nt have enough snakes to make the room look as full with the reptiles as they wanted.
Legend tells that Tony Baxter went over to one of the shops in Adventureland and proceeded to purchase all the toy rubber snakes they had..and used these to fill up the room with a suitable spread of slithering serpents.
These same rubber snakes are sold in the Indiana Jones themed shop directly across from the Attraction today!

Near the entrance to the outside portion of the Temple queue, there is a truck parked being used to haul away artifacts from the dig site.
This truck is the actual vehicle used during the filming of the famous truck chase sequence in *Raiders of The Lost Ark*
If you look closely underneath you can see it rigged for the films stuntman who performed the moves under the truck in those scenes.
You can also admire the missing hood ornament on the trucks radiator grill...orginally broken off by Harrison Ford in the film.

In the queue area there is a small chamber you walk through containing the *Obelisk of Doom*.
It is a polished stone triangular sculpture that depicts the three fates that awaits earnest pilgrims who venture forth and are not respectful or careful.
Each side depicts a graphic carving of one of the *Three Deaths* to be had -
Death by Spikes, Death by Fire, and Death by Snakebite.
Also in this area, take a look at the two-symbol *Maraglyphics* on the stone walls.
Those who had a major influence in creating this Attraction have their initials here in their honor -
  • TB - Tony Baxter, Sr. VP, WDI Creative Development
  • FW - Frank Wells, then teamed with Michael Eisner who greenlit the project
  • SB - Susan Bonds, WDI Show Producer
  • SL - Skip Lange, WDI Show Director

Last edited:

dweezil78

Totally agree. Indy is a fantastic ride overall and always a favorite, but I never quite got the schizophrenic blend of set design in the ride. The way it goes from feeling like you're in one of the movies (the queue, skull centerpiece, boulder, etc.) to exaggerated cartoony set pieces (like the snake) to low-budget fun house (painted dart walls, skeleton scrims) to just completely unthemed walls with visible doors is always a bit jarring to me.

There's definitely a lack of consistency in the attraction which is weird given how much work and passion was obviously poured into it. Would love to know the backstory as to how these decisions were made someday. I'm sure $$$ had everything to do with it.

dweezil78

By the way, here's a great low light ride thru of Indy I found on Micechat yesteday. Not sure how they did this -- it's lighter than what you'd see if you rode it yourself. Really cool as it's impossible to see all the details when you're flying by it in the ride.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

More interesting bits about this amazing Attraction -

In the interior queue is a circular area known as the Rotunda.
It features a large graphic design painted on the domed ceiling of Mara and his worthy (and un-worthy) worshipers.
There is a story that the Rotunda was originally designed to be a type of time measuring place, a cross between a sundial and a Aztec calendar.
Sunlight would come in and shine on different parts of a graphic piece in this area at different times of the day and year.
Think of it as being Disneyland*s own version of Stonehenge!

Because the show building was not quite sitting in the right place, when the sun shined in from a space in the stone Temple ceiling, it did*nt hit the parts of the graphic as it was hoped.
So a simulation was created instead that is there today.
The *calendar* is the large intricately painted stone tablet above the pit where you pull the rope to upset a moody archeologist.
The *sunlight* you see coming into the Rotunda by day is actually a lighting effect.
In the evening, it is lit different...much like the *sunlight* that seems to come through the Temple*s cracked ceiling in the loading area.

Indiana*s office, also located in the queue, is packed full of neat finds.
Here one will find numbers and names on the shipping crates that refer to his films, as well as letters from Abner Ravenwood (Marion*s father).
Disney fans will appreciate seeing on Indy*s desk a 1930s issue of Life Magazine with Mickey Mouse on the cover.

Cast Member Tradition - ALWAYS make a offering to the *Breakdown Buddha* before opening the Attraction for the day!
Entering the loading Station, to your left, is a Buddha statue on a crate.
Cast Members place offerings to the Buddha and rub its head in the hope the Attraction will run smoothly all day with no major breakdowns or issues.
Coins are usually placed in the Buddha*s hands as *offerings*.

While on the ride-through portion of your journey, after you enter the *Hall of Promise* and enrage the golden Mara idol, you enter what is known as the *Tunnel of Torment*.
The most memorable feature of this Temple passageway is the crackling *lightning* that flashes across the walls around you.
There was originally more to this experience -
What was to originally happen was that the chamber would be filled with fog effects to simulate running into a cloud.
The rocking motion of the Transport, coupled with the *lighting* effects, was supposed to give travelers the sensation of being lifted up by a cloud of magical power from Mara...as he sends you to the Gates of Doom.

When your Transport first enters the main Show room showcasing the huge stone Mara idol engulfed in firey flames, explorers will often see a beam of light shoot out of Mara*s eye and hit the pathway in an area near the front of your vehicle.
A terrific effect, but originally even more impressive -
During the first month or so after the Attraction*s opening, the beam would hit the ceiling in this area and *rocks* would tumble down.
The effect was great...and the *rock debris* were actually pieces of ice colored with tea. These *ice cubes* were made by a ice machine mounted above and timed to drop every time Mara shot his gaze across the room as a Transport entered the scene.
Ice had the same visual look and consistency as falling rocks, and would not damage the vehicles or interiors of the Show scenes.
Best of all, the ice would be melted by the present fire effects in the pit and the water would then be pumped back up to the ice machine to be re-used.
Genius idea.
Unfortunately, the effect stopped being used at some point shortly after that first month of operation as the ice would pile up in the fire pit below the scene entrance and caused some issues with maintenance.
Sadly, the effect was turned off, and Mara*s laser-like gaze was re-adjusted to strike the ground near the Transport pathway instead.

The on-ride *Mummy Chamber* has a humorous touch many miss in the dimly lit corridors while speeding by -
The famous skeleton wearing Mickey Ears located to your left as you enter the room....named *Bones*.
The custom embroidered ears were added by a Cast Member some years ago.

A photo example -

The Animatronic Indiana*s that appear during the ride-through portion of the experience were made in a unique way for this Attraction.
Instead of wearing the traditionally used fabric clothing to dress figures in, Indy is instead completely sculpted from head to toe in his famous attire.
It was felt by the designers that his animation movements would look better and more realistic in the settings and situations that the ride experience calls for if he had sculpted-in *clothing* instead of real, fabric clothing.
Face casts were said to have been made of Harrison Ford to insure a authentic looking Indy, but alas, the voicework done for the character was not done by him.

Which brings us to.. why Indiana Jones was not voiced by the actor who played the role in the films -

(one version of the tale)

Harrison Ford had originally agreed to voice the three Indiana Animatronic characters but would only do it on two conditions - that he not be asked to appear on, or do any voice recordings for the special Super Bowl Half-TIme Show being planned.
The Show was to be a part of Disney*s marketing push that year to promote the new *Indiana Jones Adventure* Attraction, and had segments themed to the character Harrison had portrayed.
He did*nt want to be involved in the Super Bowl show, but was very positive about being involved in the making of the Attraction.

He was scheduled for a Saturday recording session, and the studio was rented and ready to go.
However, someone in marketing over at the studio who was not aware of the agreement between Disney and Harrison mistakenly sent a script over to Mr. Ford of the Super Bowl Show dialog instead of the Attraction script. This happened three days before the scheduled recording session.

Rather disappointed that the one simple request he had made was apparently not being kept, Harrison outright canceled his studio appearance just one day before.
And thus a alternative to voice the character figures had to be sought out.
A voice actor was brought in to provide a replacement, thus the speaking lines were recorded that we hear from Indiana today while riding by.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
By the way, here's a great low light ride thru of Indy I found on Micechat yesteday. Not sure how they did this -- it's lighter than what you'd see if you rode it yourself. Really cool as it's impossible to see all the details when you're flying by it in the ride.

Quite nice indeed...thank you for sharing!

Looks to me like a partial nightvision setting, coupled with a camera that has excellent low light level settings.
Also don*t rule out a post-filming pass through a digital image filter to lighten things up.
Oh those kids and their digital toys...

It is amazing how far photography technology has come in just a decade or so.
I remember the days when trying to capture ANY internal ride scenes were nearly impossible.
The low light settings inside Attractions always made things a challenge....not to mention the constant movement!
Many a image came out blurred beyond recognition....

Not today however!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Party in the Temple tonight.....bring your fedoras !

( photo from a recent venture )

*Tony*s Temple of Wonders*....ahhhh yes...
The wonders to behold within!

Just can*t talk about the *Indiana Jones Adventure* without tipping the hat to Tony Baxter.

So wish i was there tonight in person to celebrate with the fans at Disneyland, but alas, i have to honor the Anniversary elsewhere tonight.
To make up for it, i have spent a good portion of my day here in this thread creating a spot for a little *virtual* online party.

Now i must be off....to explore my own uncharted course of discovery.

A toast to this awesome Attraction...i raise my Marion Ravenwood shot glass in honor of the *Indiana Jones Adventure* tonight!

Congratulations Team Indy, here is to the NEXT 20 years of adventure!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom