Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
We went to MK this evening for dinner and the fireworks, so booked a FP+ to try the new area. I must say it was the most pleasant fireworks watching experience of any of my visits. Not sure if they will keep the numbers as low, but it was suprisingly surreal to sit down and watch the whole fireworks show without people pushing and shoving and blocking your view with kids on shoulders or big ipad screens. One of our family members has trouble standing for long periods of time and uses a wheelchair. It was like a whole new experience to see the show for her and the rest of us. Also, it was kind of cute to see families lounging on the turf in the middle of the park waiting for the show.I hope they keep the FP+ limited, as I would definitely want to do again. Didn't seem like a waste of a FP+ to us.

HOW BADLY WERE YOU BURNED?!?!?!?

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
HOW BADLY WERE YOU BURNED?!?!?!?

My wife is in a wheelchair and fireworks viewing is always a total mess for us, to the point she gave up being able to see them for at least the past five years. Yes, we tried the accessible areas but depending on the CM at the location they split up the family which really made her mad, the areas were full or the views were terrible and had guests standing right in front of here effectively blocking her view completely anyway.

A few years back we paid $$$ to do the fireworks desert party so she could watch them, that was nice.

Last Christmas night we were very lucky and ended up right behind the FP+ area rope. She was sitting with the rope right in front of her and was able to watch the entire show from the hub but was a combination of luck and willingness to wait three plus hours. Hub was closed, all bridges in were blocked off so if we left we were not getting back in.

I can see where FP+ view areas with lots of room and low viewing clearances would be welcomed by those that really do have difficulty seeing the show. From her perspective just about anyone who stands in front of her might as well be 20ft tall, she gets no view.

EdC

I can see where FP+ view areas with lots of room and low viewing clearances would be welcomed by those that really do have difficulty seeing the show. From her perspective just about anyone who stands in front of her might as well be 20ft tall, she gets no view.

I'm glad you were all able to enjoy it. I think we're all beginning to see a real benefit to these FP+ locations.

SRQtech

Speaking of the awesome parade lighting rigs, does anyone know what the green device is in this picture on the cantilevered arm (that kinda looks like a security camera, but is solid green)?

Main-Street-USA_Full_23412.jpg

• Glow with the show IR emitter. Nope these are on the other poles above the lights.
  • Camera location temporarily capped Possible but not likely
  • Magic band tracker Good possibility
  • Wifi transmitter Good possibility
  • A combination of a few of the above

brihow

I spent $350 to see Justin Timberlake this past year. He put on an amazing 3 hours show with risers and a moving stage over the audience and I had seats in the 10th row. $350/3 comes out to about $116 per hour (plus he had a great DJ beforehand and we got a bunch of goodies with our ticket package. He's an amazing entertainer and I thought every dollar spent was well worth it. (just for comparison's sake, a day at MK is $35/hour if you only spend 3 hours there as I did at the concert... very few people go to a theme park for that short of a time).

Given that WDW does not have Broadway or Mega-Pop star caliber performers working there, i'm not exactly sure it is the same type of comparison. I still think it is worth it, but not in the same way as you would judge a concert or sporting event. Someone who goes to a sporting event may not view spending $100 on a Broadway or Theme park ticket as worth it and vice-versa.

I get your point to an extent, but you should also know that MANY Broadway performers got their start as performers/cast members at Disney Parks. So there actually are many 'Broadway'caliber' performers at the parks, they just aren't on Broadway yet ;)

Rasvar

• Glow with the show IR emitter. Nope these are on the other poles above the lights.
Pretty sure from the design that they are WiFi. Cast members will need strong wifi for the fastpass area plus that will be a huge concentration of WiFi devices.

Cesar R M

Those are supports, not lighting towers.

And again, it's a 103 year old stadium against a newly built area...
I'm more confused now.
We were talking about lights, someone posted a big pillar blocking the view of some dudes..
then you say now that they're supports.. for a second floor or to what?

Cesar R M

if you notice, both these thingies are right infront of the fastpass area.
the other towers do not have them.
Imho, They cannot be cameras because they're solid dark green.

Zweiland

I'm more confused now.
We were talking about lights, someone posted a big pillar blocking the view of some dudes..
then you say now that they're supports.. for a second floor or to what?
Yes, for a second floor. (Though originally the supports were placed there for a roof, I think.)

Look on the far side of this picture, you can see similar supports holding up the second floor.

It's just the only way they had available to design it 103 years ago.

Pole%20Section%207%20Loge%202.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom