Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

ABQ

The idea that Disney didn't research the type of turf they are using, and there will be some sort of shocking heat factor that went unaccounted for is laughable. The turf will be fine.
I'm not going to quote myself, but yes, I did post a link to a study on the heat factor relating to FieldTurf and as you state, it's not what people are claiming it to be.

note2001

Hoping once the hub center is completed and the trees that are dispersed around the area fill in, our eyes will be drawn to them and not all the poles.

donsullivan

Premium Member
For the first time, I am wondering about the choice in pavement color. It does look very light in these photos and I can't help but think it'd be better if were a shade or two darker.

Having actually walked on it myself yesterday, the photos don't tell the whole story. Unlike the smooth concrete that has historically been there, this has a lot of exposed small round stones in it. The result is that it ends up looking more like a natural gravel path you might actually find in a garden of this type. The transitions to the old red concrete are a little abrupt right now but I anticipate all of that will get sorted out as they finish this all up in the coming months.

All in all, having actually seen it in person and walked through the areas instead of judging by photos, I think the whole area looks quite nice and is a really pleasing addition to the hub. We've still got a few months of work yet to go to finish up the north half of the hub including the turret towers to replace the lighting and tech booths, and a few missing railings in the southern part but it's looking really good to me.

Monorail_Red_77

Disney has already approved a turf like material called ForeverLawn. It was used (and will be used again I believe) at the playgrounds at the Flower & Garden Festival. It doesn't get nearly as hot as AstroTurf and drains very well.

Yes, they use a fake lawn material at the playgrounds at EPCOT also for some time now. Not sure of the brand name. The only thing that I didn't like about it. Between the fake grass and plastic playground equip, static electricity was INSANE. :jawdrop: besides the static issue the grass is nice and soft. Works great in playground environment, nice and bouncy.

lobelia

RPEANeb.jpg

Source Orlando Theme Park News

It looks like they accounted for plenty of runoff based on the ditches which would be under the turf.

ToTBellHop

Hate to be that guy - but most of the fireworks are in the sky...above all of these poles. The area refers to Firework viewing, not Castle viewing.
The castle is increasingly used us a screen for nighttime shows, and will certainly be used extensively in Wishes 2.0. Is there really a need to defend what is clearly a bad decision? Why should we give Disney the free out when we all know they can/should do better? How unfortunate that a very nice area is overshadowed (literally and figuratively) by skipping out on technology that has been around for a long time to hide these poles. For such an extensive, expensive project, why skimp on the finishing work?

flynnibus

Premium Member
dsc02771-jpg.85035

This photo helps make it clear why the poles are so distracting in this project.

They tend to be the tallest thing in a wide open space. This hub is so expansive now and open.. contrast this the examples highlighted from DL, etc.. the poles while present, don't stand out to you at first glance as they blur into the busy background. They are on the edges, and will be backed by buildings, trees, etc making them stand-out less.

But here, you have them out in the center of the hub areas... lone standers... drawing your eyes to them vs blending away like infrastructure should.

If you want an example of where they are obtrusive at DL.. along the parade route back towards the Matterhorn and ISAW they are more obnoxious looking.. given their size to the relative surroundings.

Here I think the mistake is they left this infrastructure out there bare and naked in a way that draws your eyes to it.

dvitali

The major test for me will be how the view will be once they start running the parade again thru the hub.

A few question I gonna ask is "Are they gonna bring back the food carts and tip boards to this new area? Also are there rope hooks to restrict passage during the parade or are they gonna tape it off again.

TimothyG

Telescoping the poles would have been cool, but the problem is that the Utilidors are directly underneath that area. I don't think that would have been very feasible. They are pretty limited in how far they can dig down.

dvitali

I would like to see next is the former rose garden area. If they gonna keep the slope or level off the ground to make a extra passage way from Tommorrow Land to Fantasy Land by Cosmic Ray.

DisneyCane

Telescoping the poles would have been cool, but the problem is that the Utilidors are directly underneath that area. I don't think that would have been very feasible. They are pretty limited in how far they can dig down.

This is built on top of what was once a moat. I think they have enough room underneath.

Not only that, the telescoping pole wouldn't need to go into the ground. They could have built a planter type box around it for it to retract into.

TimothyG

This is built on top of what was once a moat. I think they have enough room underneath.

Perhaps, but the moat is very shallow. The water coloring they use just makes it look deep. To get inside the utilidor, you only take the equivalent of two stories of stairs so it's pretty close to the actual park. I don't see how they would be able to easily telescope it.

Martiyoman

hu.. most professional stadiums(if not all) do not have the light lamps infront of the people.. they have them BEHIND the people and up the stands in high towers.

Also, in sports.. the action moves constantly from area to area. you're not always blocked.
in this case.. your view from the castle will be effectively blocked 100% of the time unless you force your way and move from the spot.
Or you just choose not to stand right where the lights are in the first place? When walking up, divert your course slightly to the left, and bam, no light posts.

ToTBellHop

Perhaps, but the moat is very shallow. The water coloring they use just makes it look deep. To get inside the utilidor, you only take the equivalent of two stories of stairs so it's pretty close to the actual park. I don't see how they would be able to easily telescope it.
You don't need much vertical space for telescoping, because the pole would, well, telescope.
Or you just choose not to stand right where the lights are in the first place? When walking up, divert your course slightly to the left, and bam, no light posts.
This isn't an issue of there being one or two bad places to stand. Most people will have some sort of obstruction and all anyone is saying is that it's not ideal and an odd design for an area specifically marketed for pre-reserved firework and parade (? on that one...) viewing. I can already see the commercial..."Pre-reserve to save time and we will give you an off-center, partially-obstructed view of the fireworks!" Magic, pixie dust, and happy (awake?) 3-year olds with their (thankfully) nearsighted grandparents.

I am continually astonished by the willingness of folks on these boards, who spend a fortune on Disney vacations, to defend decisions by Disney that are clearly favoring cost over guest experience. That goes beyond mere apathy, which honestly would be better here. Disney could remove the restrooms "in response to [their] guests" complaining that they are sometimes dirty and people here would defend the decision.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I love how this is turning out but also think they could have done better with the lights, with the light weight of modern led's and the fact you don't need as many cans because they can do all colors they should have been able to come up with a better (or at least less noticeable) solution. I still love how it looks, it's just unfortunate I it's a 9 instead of a 10.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom