The Sole Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@IDInstitute

YOUR TURN!

- Hehehe, well, I like this twist you did for presentation. I wish you'd used that same font throughout the main post...but I get what you were going for, and I liked that. A nice twist would have been if you'd done it as a "screencap" where two people were arguing about it..."future wdwmagic members" if you will, to draw us in. But, overall, really great teaser!

- You should have made it some sort of "super secret" part of wdwmagic, rather than a separate site (in your narrative). Either that or a "CM ONLY site" or something. @Voxel and I both recognize this tactic, and I applaud your use of it.

SO...on to the content!

- Too much...too much. Keep your "welcoming" intro stuff...well..."welcoming"... I guess what I'm trying to say...you made all this a "story" in your first post, then immediately broke "character" with your site.

"This news and updates site is designed specifically to bring you all of the major updates on the new Pixar Place, a part of the DHS refurbishment. While are known to another famous WDW update site, because of the incredible scale and amazing attractions this project contains, we have made a whole site to archive the progress. Below you can find all of the progress articles about the making of this land and just how amazing it is!"

Would have been better with a silly picture of a Disney Nerd...or even Boogie2988...

maxresdefault.jpg

Then moving on to your exposition. "This is a news and update site designed to bring you all the major updates on the new Pixar Place, coming in 20xx!!" Nothing more than that...to draw us in.

Minor stuff...presentation stuff...but, take it for what you will...give em a good laugh, then carry them forward.

- I like the "future tense" you took with this. Very original! For presentation concepts, this is probably one of the most unique I've seen in a while, and I LOVE IT! It pokes fun at us Disnerds (which, is always great to see), yet is oddly prophetic. WELL DONE!

Project Taking Place

- Good teaser! You could have splashed a bit more humor into this, but it communicates what you meant as far as the area you are considering...so...really well done!

Confirmed!

- CONFIRMATION should have been capitalized. I'd suggest you get some nerd humor queues from this...

- Instead of the D23 Expo, the "story" you are trying to tell would have been better, imho, if you had it as "some internet friend" or an "unnamed source", listed as such.

- Instead of we, you use that a lot, you should say either "I" or your should define what "we" means, and make it clear that "we" means some disnerd who imagines he has an "organization"...both would be funny.

- Not sure why two restaurants...but I'm moving on...

- Your "next post" link doesn't work.

Project Update

- GREAT opening for this!

- And...then you cut it down by saying it's all in a press release...where is the intrigue! You are trying to tell a story!!! (or schtory as Francis would say...)

- Paragraphs. Cut it after the "sub-land" and make a new thought.

- What is a "no-restriction" option?

- Why did the Finding Nemo ride change to Up? Here is where you story begins to lose me, and as a result, your presentation begins to falter.

- There's a "huge Finding Nemo presence"? Where? Clarify? And then a run on sentence...about a spinner...

- mini-land, not sub land. Subs mean either sandwiches or submersibles. And, a ride is not a mini-land...

- Who is Harry Housen? Why does he have a restaurant? Why should I care?

- "for their ticket level"...considering most of you have never known Disney when they had ticketing (and that includes myself for a few years of my life)...trying to gauge what a "ticket level" seems a bit silly and fluid of a metric. If that was your intent with the post, that's fine, but, it's a silly metric to define a ride as such.

- Nice MAP! Well thought out!

- Once again, your bottom page link doesn't work (send me back to the beginning)...

Grand Opening Coming Soon

- Since the highlight was your video, you should have made it first, and the "poster montage" second. Especially since your first "poster" is for an existing attraction.

So onto the montage...they were all well done posters.

The video?

meh.jpg

How am I supposed to read that?

meh2.jpg

Or this...

meh3.jpg

Much better...

meh4.jpg

Mind you, I am fully aware this was your first attempt. And you did GREAT!

Merely constructive analysis.

Also, I'm not sure what this brought to your presentation outside of summarizing what we already knew?

- And...once again, your bottom page "continue" link didn't work.

Pixar Place 2

- I loved your unique idea about being a fan park Disney Nut going to see it for the first time.

- MY Star Wars Land, or rather, LucasFilm Studios...so thanks for the unintended shout out!

- You mention a park wide "refurbishment" that you never mentioned before...lazy

- The entrance is currently at the corner of the One Man's Dream building, so I'm not sure what you mean there?

- Luxo the Lamp is a contested IP (yeah, I know, not trying to drag this into a Tintin discussion...)

- You summed it up yourself. "Again, nothing really special, but it was nice and overall, a success. "

- Further self criticizing. "The name is honestly just okay, and it kind of reminds me of a mix of the TDS and WDS/HKDL"

- " There aren't any new attractions in this land, but it was probably the best thing you could get for needing a themed area for the land with their restrictions" You are reviewing yourself at this point.

- "As far as Toy Story Midway Mania itself goes, not much was changed. The refurbishment cleaned it up a bit, but on the whole, the attraction is the same"

shoot-self-in-foot.jpg

- You shouldn't compare an eatery to anything else on Disney Property...

- What streets and buildings did Monster's Inc inspire?

- The Land Pavilion as Monster's Inc...

- You lost me at hello..sorry...

Ok, so...

Summary

IDI, I think you spent too much trying to be "cute" and not enough on content. While I LOVED your concept for a unique presentation, I think @Vipraa and @tcool beat you out so far. You take third place...from what I've read (which is third, so...moving on...)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@TheOriginalTiki

YOUR TURN!

- Nice soundtrack.

- I'm left wondering...how will this, based on your excellent description, play during the daytime hours?

- Ok, I get you are new to the forums, but please...PLEASE do not "quote" yourself. The same tags worked on your old forum. Just edit them out...

Bogart Alley

- You suddenly shift narratives here...it doesn't work. You took me out of my vibe!

(settles back in)

- Interesting concept.

- How will it be dimly lit (if not indoors) during daytime?

- Decent relocation of RnR.

- Someone killed Roger Rabbit? I'm intrigued! A bit dark, but I'm digging it.

(ok, your second track really has me digging this presentation, only cause I love that scene from Roger Rabbit, and I love that song)

- Map works. Thanks for having one.

- Excellent homage windows, very nice touch, and well thought out.

- You shouldn't use the term "private I"...call it "private eye".

- I love, LOVE the nighttime atmosphere, but as I noted, what will it look like during the day?

D.ick Tracy's

- I'm not sure he's the most "iconic crime stopper", but this really sounds like a perfect shop for HS, and I love this whole idea. I specifically love that it offers shoppers older merchandise. Really well done!

Who Wrote Off Roger Rabbit?

- Why yellow sticky's? They are not period at all...

- Overall though, interesting queue. I like it a lot!

- Define EMV. As well as vehicle "rotation" as you further require scenes. I get where you are going, but this could have used another sentence or two.

- Scene 1 - Nice. I can't say anything but that.

- Still digging the scenes as I move into Toontown.

- You've made the ToT jokes in your story, I love that.

- Not sure why or how Doom plays into this. You could have had a better closing to such an amazing story you just outlined.

- Extra points for Droopy Dog. (not that I'm surprised)

Wow, this is one of the best ride throughs I've EVER read. REALLY well done!

The issue with ride-throughs is that they are often either too story based, or are too blase...in either case, they come off bland. This one I wanted to keep reading until the next scene. REALLY well done!

African Queen Cruises

- I am intrigued by your description of the ride, but you give you specifics. So...poor show...especially since you took us all on a trip with your previous ride!

- As a side note, I am glad you included WHY you did it and the history. Many would miss the reference otherwise. GREAT choice.

Exterior and Queue

- Here's where it all starts to fall apart. What exterior? What queue? You just told us, the reader, that we shouldn't care any more about the AFrican Queen ride, then go into detail about the queue? It doesn't make sense...

- That being said...if I stick your queue before your ride, it makes much more sense, and I enjoy it. It's like the old (defunct now) tour...

- This was well thought out in concept, but not presentation...

I won't comment more on the ride, as it's really well done.

So...moving on. Excellent ride, excellent experience. I could nit pick, but not really worth it.

Casablanca Cantina

Not much to say, as there isn't much there. It's a dinner bistro with entertainment.

Summary

You need to work on flowery presentation, but my god, when it comes to content, you kill us all Tiki.

This is hands down my favorite concept. And, if concept wins (which I think it should), I can't say it won't.

That being said, there are issues.

First, is this what DIsney wants?

Is this what HS needs?

Sure, it fits, but would it work at HS? Would it attract guests?

It's not as simple (as we know through the Frozen challenge) that it's a matter of die hards.

As a fan of MGM (ahem), I'd LOVE to see this, but I also think it's too close to what exists, and offers nothing new, while doing it very well.

Last edited:

tcool

@tcool
- I'm not so sure about replacing RnR, though I do love the idea of Toontown and specifically it being placed on that area of the park...this is a park short on rides, and RM was pretty clear about not removing them without moving them. You make this very confusing...especially (next point)

- Proof your work for construction, man! (grin) "All areas needed to be relocated will be relocated to an open area of Rock'n' Rollercoaster/Tower of Terror Backstage." Try something more like "Areas that need to be relocated will be moved to the open backstage area behind Tower of Terror". I get what you are trying to say, but it's very hard to visualize. Especially if one is not familiar with the park layout. You really should have done a map overlay or something for this. Nothing amazing, just something with simple drawn arrows would have worked fine, but as it stands, it's very confusing. In any case, this sentence is just confusing and internally repetitive.

- "Which is the big plot of green." What big plot of green? What am I supposed to be looking at?

(I'll note here, this is stream of consciousness as I read through them in detail for the first time, so if this is addressed later, disregard.)

- I would have left out the compilation graphic there...it hides your link, which is the focus, and accomplishes nothing. In fact, when I first saw this, I didn't realize the link was your title. I think the graphic is well done, but you needed a bit more to guide us into the site, I think. Maybe a paragraph below, or something.

- LOVE the idea of Maroon Studios as the entrance! SPOT ON good sir, SPOT ON!

- "Guests will proced to walk and see the toon buildings resembling those similar too Disneyland's." Ok, gonna grammar nassi this... "to" does not equal "too". It's like "lose" and "loose". This doesn't impact your content at all, so don't think I count it against you, but it's a common thing that annoys the ****** out of me.

- (proof note) "As Guests walk walking along the path, they guests will notice the first of many new attractions - Benny the Cab's Taxi Spin.

- Toontown Woods, I LOVE this idea as a background view in the distance. I would never in a million years thought of that, and it's really excellent!

- I like the idea of the Silly Symphonies Cafe, and that nod to a very important time for Disney Animation Studios.

- I've worked with you a lot @tcool, and loved every project. I have nothing but the highest of praise for your abilities. But, if I can make one observation (again), it's about your writing style. Firstly, you need to proofread it. I'm not going to point out all the typos and where you flip from a conversational style to an informational one over and over again, because that's not my point. You are so talented, especially with ideas and concepts, but, this is one of your weak spots for you to continue to develop on, imho. These things detract from the reading and take me out of the "story" you are trying to craft with your presentation. A typo here and there, or an oddly constructed sentence here and there, is one thing...but, with you, it's very common.

- Finishing the first page, I'm really excited to learn more about these offerings. I'm extremely impressed!

Benny's

- Love the practical ride details (you've always done well with that)

- Ok, I know I'm beating a dead horse, and this will be the very LAST example I give...but it jolted me right out of your presentation. "Guests will enter the Toontown Towing Company Building wind through it seeing gags set uo by the tooons themselves."

- I love the Eddie Valient Newspaper clipping idea. You didn't specify, but I had a mental image of "toon newspapers" with embedded funny videos for the pictures, and think this could work very well in a queue environment. This idea is great!

- I really enjoyed that you stuck a solid C ticket into this. As noted in another thread (where I broke down every ride at WDW as well as Uni Florida), HS falls deftly short not only in terms of rides, but the fact that the trend there seems to aim for E-Tickets every time. A nice ride balance of C and even D tickets is needed to not only thin out crowds, but provide a more inclusive and complete park experience. Excellent choice! And excellent theme! I'd love to see this ride come to life!

Silly Symphony Cafe

- While I like the idea, I'm having trouble picturing how the building exterior will blend with the rest of Toontown (which I mentally picture in more of a "Roger Rabbit" bubble style toon look. This is one where I think a map (which I see you didn't do, at least from what I've seen so far) would have helped to visualize how you pictured all this fitting in.

- You had me interested until "plastic utensils". If you make it a point to have a "cafe" style eatery (which is fine, and what you described, as I gather) there is no reason for plastic utensils. You should have just left that at "utensils and a tray" or something. Also, what if I need more napkins later? Should I grab three handfuls just in case my kid spills her drink? I'm really not sure what this room serves, functionally, or what you are going for here.

- Inserting Flowers and Trees as a youtube insert would have been a good idea here, since you rely so much on the theme. Granted, most of us know the short, but watching it again would help "set the mood" for what is to come. If you don't know how to do that with weebly, just shoot me a message. Glad to show you how (took me a bit to figure it out as well, so no knock there).

- I'm still confused about the "flow" here...so, I enter, I grab my tray and napkins and stuff...? I guess order my food, and the first seating area is Flower seating? This could have been clearer...

- I LOVE the idea of the projection scrims (that's the term you are looking for, not screens, just so you know). That would really take that dining area to the next level! Again, this is a visual that would have been helped a lot had you included a video of the short, so that when you talk about the "flowers singing", there's some context.

- Room 3 sounds fun. I like that you didn't go crazy, but kept it a retheme of the same basic technology/layout as the first room.

(ok, paragraphs...paragraphs...paragraphs...break up your thoughts. It's very hard to follow one large blurb of text)

- Short but EXCELLENT MENU! I really would want to taste some of those dishes. I also noted..."grilled ham and cheese" for the Big Bad Wolf. At first, I was thinking, nah, this needs to be a roast beef sandwich, and then your humor hit me...and yeah, you are right. PERFECT CHOICES. WELL DONE!

- This is just a personal preference, I wish you had left the slideshows off of auto play.

- Jazz Punch, love it!

- Nice name for the kid's meals. Overall, a really well done menu!

Applause.gif

Splashdown

- I'll note again the ride details. I really love those, and you do them so well!

- The queue sounds great, except for the "forests of Toontown" (why would a town have forests?) and the "Ranger Station". I think this could have been done better as a "zoo" theme or a "town park"...not a "forest"... As a plus, though, the "wink/nod" style humor that could be done with the Jessica Rabbit safety and other spiels is comedy gold. Excellent choice!

- Ok..."national park rangers"...I'm having Yogi Bear visions, not Roger Rabbit...this concept is good, but I think it needed another polish run through for things like this...

- A bit more on the ride vehicle describing the mechanics would be nice...is this a PotC style "raft"?

- The first paragraph of the ride experience is great!

- Ok, I see now, it's a flume ride.

- I like having Baby Herman "break character". I IRL chuckled at that! Well done little script!

- This seems like either a mix of Bluto's Barges or Ripsaw...but I didn't feel like it could decide which it was. In either case, I enjoyed the ride.

The Gag Warehouse

- Ah, so you DO know how to put a youtube into a weebly! <grin>

- Great concept for the environment...but I found the rest of it rather uninspired. I don't think the slideshow added anything to your presentation here. The video certainly did though! What if...you'd separated the Warehouse into various sections (Disney / Roger Rabbit / other?) I dunno, but this felt thrown together considering how well thought out everything else has been so far.

The House of Mouse

- I'm not sure a Table Service is needed at all. HS is heavy on TS experiences. You would have been better, I think, expanding your earlier restaurant more. Maybe going for a mixed experience, like Be Our Guest, if you wanted that sort of experience. Maybe making something along the lines of a Liberty Tree themed environment experience? But...that's my first blush...reading on!

- This sounds too much like Sci Fi Dine In.

- Yeah, reading through this...you should have left this one on the cutting room floor. Especially when you mention including "the Gray Stuff", which is a Be Our Guest exclusive dish, and should stay that. Your concept was mish mashed. Good seeds with your idea, but an ugly plant that didn't bloom in the end. Sorry.

Great Animated Movie Ride

- Without reading anything but the title, I ALREADY LOVE THIS IDEA!

- I'd leave out the "Disney movie" line characters that are already well represented in the parks. Jose Caricoa, Snow White, Peter Pan, etc. Cruella is a good add, though.

- Not sure about the "grand tower?" I'm having trouble picturing this. The final part of the queue sounds great though.

- I'm not sure why you mentioned that Fastpass isn't available? What is your reasoning for this? Why even make it a point?

- By definition an omnimover is constantly loading...just saying...

- Nice having the screen and language choices. I hope this comes up as an integral part of the ride as I read on! Cause, so far, I'm really digging this whole concept!

- Scene 1...again, I'd leave Snow White out of it. Nice scene, but too Fantasyland...I'd have chosen something else.

- Scene 2...same note. I really love this scene, and you described it well...but this isn't a tribute to Disney MOVIES...this is a tribute to DIsney CARTOONS (and TOONS in general...Snow White isn't a TOON...)

- Scene 3...see above...this is really starting to feel like a Fantasyland Ride, and not a Toontown ride...

- Scene 4...We already have an excellent Peter Pan ride, no need to rehash it here...

- Scene 5...I think Cruella could work, only because the style and story of that movie is so separate from the whimsical nature of the others you've done so far. So, I like this scene.

- Scene 6...Need I say it again?

- Scene 7...What does Nightmare Before Christmas have to do with Toontown? They aren't even toons, it's claymation... Sorry, tcool, I think this is a fail of not only a transition, but a theme breaker.

- All the rest of scenes...Nope, you've lost me now. This is just a mash of everything. It's like you made a chicken pot pie, but shoved in beef and turkey, just to please everyone, and then cooked it until the crust burnt. I'm just not feeling this ride.

- Fantasia is already represented in the ride this should be parodying.

- Overall, solid idea, but I really think you lost it when you got into the ride details.

Lucky Rabbit Mercantile

- You didn't have time to expand your idea here, you again, should have left it on the cutting room floor. You already had a merch spot, why two?

Extras!

- "Here we have the page of extras that don't really seem quite qualified to have their own page each so instead they all share one singular page. This will contain meet and greets, one more ride, and more!" This isn't needed, and comes off as a bit preachy, especially after "Instead of your usual merchandising list I will tell you the usual formula because in all honesty who here wants to read 55 x 7 at least lines about merchandise. I know I don't so I'm guessing neither do most people. " on the previous post...

Here's the thing, you are right, merch lists are boring, but titles like "extra's" are also pretty well self explanatory. I wouldn't be surprised that you were tiring out at this point, and that's fine, but save your personal frustration and venting for the conversation thread, not your final presentation, UNLESS you are making a point with it. For example, with the Lucky Rabbit, I had to read it twice because I thought, yeah, he's right, why read x amount of proposed merch, when he's proposing something new? But, you were not.

The issue is...this sort of expository, without a point, takes the reader out of the zone, and sours them to what is to come. This is not a discussion, this is a presentation. (though, I did chuckle at your "55x7" comment, that was pretty funny...)

- The Trolley could have been it's own section, easily.

- I like the Character free roam concept being moved there, but without a map, I'm having trouble picturing how you'd have space to do that plus everything else you proposed.

- LOVE LOVE LOVE the stars of Maroon concept.

- LOVE LOVE LOVE Oswald coming to WDW.

Summary

Overall, I can tell you put a LOT into this presentation and concept. And, I think it will pay off. I do think you got a bit distracted with trying to do everything and be everything, and I'd suggest you refine your concepts a bit more in the future. But, tcool, this was REALLY impressive, and you should be proud of what you turned out. I know I certainly enjoyed reading it!
-Replacing it is what I considered a risk IMO.
-I may have deleted what I had before by accident. And noticed right before I posted it I noticed I didn't have that.
-It's an area of trees above it...
-Oops How didn't I notice me typing too....
-I'm going to be honest I never notice when I switch writing styles...
-The center room serves as were you get everything you need. Food Utensils, and other stuff needed
-I've been dabbling with Weebly before for Realistic Imagineering until it became jointed with IDI's Comp. So I learnt how to do stuff by that.
-Projections Scrims I'll Write that down:D
-Roast Beef wouldn't have worked, only ham and bacon...
-How does one turn off Auto Play?
-Jessica Rabbit is a park ranger I think in the actual short.
-House of Mouse and Lucky Rabbit were last minute additions that I thought would add more to the park.
-I thought Snow White was In Roger Rabbito_O
-Nightmare is there because I considered it an animated film.
-I was on the edge of axing the Pixar Stuff, but decided to keep it because there are great animated films.
-Fantasia is in both rides, but both have different scenes so I thought it could be different enough.
-I planned to have a map I didn't have time
- Overall I did House of Mouse, Splash Down, Animated Movie Ride, and Lucky Rabbit all last minute because I was having issues with my computer.
-Overall thanks for the critics!

Phenomenal effort this week! Let's see how he did:

- I love the idea of Toontown as an expansion... well done!
- Will R'n'RC be demolished? I wish you would have specified.
- The opening paragraph... you could have done so much with it, especially because of your chosen theme. It was kind of a missed opportunity.
- I wish that you had chosen a different website format. It's too bland, especially for a Toontown project
- I feel that only 1 small "hole in the wall" as an entrance to a land would be a crowded nightmare. You should have made multiple entrances
- I enjoyed the overview paragraph, it really set up the rest of the proposal
- 6 attractions opening at once seems like a lot, but I like how some were more of diversions (like the trolley)
- I feel that giving Roger Rabbit just a flat ride was a risk, but I think it paid off with a great execution
- I'm not to sure about a height requirement for the flat ride, but if Mater's has the same one, I can see why you chose yo have one
- the queue is nice, very reminiscent of the Roger Rabbit dark ride's queue at Disneyland
- Isn't there only one Benny the Cab? I wish you would have did something similar to Mater's where each ride vehicle is unique. Maybe they're Benny's friends? ;)
- There have been rumors that Toy Story Playland (expansion of Pixar Place) will receive a flat ride like Mater's, but I never really specified when this would be built, so it's fine
- No complaints on the Silly Symphony Cafe, well done!
- I also enjoyed the slideshows of the food, great job on that as well!
- I'm not to sure how I feel about another raft ride at WDW. I would be perfectly fine with 2 flume rides, but 2 raft rides seems like a little much. Here's why: With flume rides, there's MANY opportunities to change things from other existing flat rides. The ride vehicle design and layout, the sets, the layout of the ride, the theming. To be honest, a raft ride is a raft ride. You go and you get wet. With Disney, it's a bit more then that because of the theming of the sets, but it's a lot easier to make a flume ride differentiate itself then a raft ride. I just feel that you could get away with 2 flume rides better then 2 raft rides. Also, with your National Park theme, it gets even closer to what Kali River Rapids is, so it just seems to conflict with other existing attractions at WDW.
- Other than that, it seems like a great ride
- I would have prefered have seen an original store and not a clone from Disneyland
- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of The House of Mouse, wit's a great fit in ToonTown!
- I'm not sure how I feel how I feel about the name for The Great Animated Movie Ride. I can see why you chose that name, but it seems to conflict a bit with the GMR
- TBH, there's to big of a gap between The Lion King and Up. In addition, Up, Monsters Inc, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen and Finding Nemo are out of order, timewise.
- Other than that, great job with the ride!
- No complaints on the Lucky Rabbit Mercantile. Not outstanding, but not bad either
- I truly enjoyed the idea of bringing the trolley back with more saftey, great idea!

Overall, amazing job this week tcool! But, your mistake in making a raft ride and many minor mistakes could be enough to cost you immunity this week.
-For an extra entrance perhaps the tunnel?
-6 attractions. 2 were Meet and greets...
-Isn't Casa Blanca to Fantasia to Wizard of Oz out of order timewise too?

Now for everyone to see Trail Mix-Up because I forgot to post it in the website.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom