unable to dock

patch553

Original Poster
we are just home from our latest visit to the world which included a 4 night Bahamian cruise, unfortunately we were aboslutly gutted that we didn't get to dock at castaway cay:(. whilst the weather seemed ok the ships captain said the current was to strong, we got agonisingly close but that was it.has anyone else had the disappointment of looking back at castaway cay without docking?

DISNEY FANTASY

It occurred to us once in 11 cruises, it's for safety and if it's currents they can't do anything about it, the cruise contract covers it. They do not have to call at the advertised ports.

Mouse_Trap

Yup, happened to us in 2001....first ever DCL cruise.

Got so antangonisly close to the island (CC), it felt like touching distance.

Jonathan Dalecki

Happened to us on our very first cruise in 2011 on the Dream....currents kept us from docking at CC. A quarterback with a good arm could probably have gotten a football onto the dock...we were that close. But it wasn't to be. Had an impromptu at sea day.

Jonathan Dalecki

It was a HUGE bummer. But they did a great job on the ship of adding a lot of cool activities. They turned out new PersNavs in like 45 minutes. They're just the best.

patch553

Original Poster
yeah don't get me wrong the crew/staff did a wonderful job keepinh us entertained,it was just such a disappointment getting as close to the beautiful island and not stepping foot on it! but anyways it hasnt put us off,and it gives us another reason to go back;)

wogwog

It is a shame to miss CC. The worst short cruise for ports I ever heard of was a 4 night Dream that went Port Canaveral to Port Canaveral. Could not get in at CC or Nassau. A co-worker of mine suffered greatly on that one.

216bruce

On a Med cruise we couldn't get into Nice, so we ended up in Mallorca. Unexpected but pretty cool to just randomly end up there.

Disneyfalcon

We've missed Castaway Cay twice and it is an awful feeling. Unfortunately there's not much they can do. The problem with trying to dock another day is that there are already ships there almost every day. If you happened to have an extra day and there wasn't a ship scheduled there I do think they would try!

Otherwise you just have to make the best of an unexpected day at sea and plan your next cruise. :)

Tonka's Skipper

It does happen every e in a while.

As powerful as those ships are,with twin screws, bow and stern thrusters and highly skilled Captains and chief Officers, ole Mother nature, with winds, seas, swells, currents and surges, can win out in the end.

AKK

jaklgreen

Our first cruise was right after a hurricane so we were unable to go to CC but we didn't know what we were missing.

mammaminnie

We have lucked out so far and have never missed a port on a cruise. We are doing a Castaway Cay double dip this summer and I am hoping my luck continues!

Phonedave

It is a shame to miss CC. The worst short cruise for ports I ever heard of was a 4 night Dream that went Port Canaveral to Port Canaveral. Could not get in at CC or Nassau. A co-worker of mine suffered greatly on that one.

I wonder how that worked out. My understanding is that if the ship is flying a foreign flag, it cannot just sail from an American port to an American port, it has to stop somewhere else as well. That is the supposed reason for the lack of cruises to Hawaii, they either have to port at some out of the way island (I forget the one) or be registered in the USA, which is expensive (that is why most ships are registered with a flag of convenience). I guess if they really WANTED to dock somewhere, and they were not able to, then they get a pass (or maybe they did have to pay a fee)

=-dave

polynesiangirl

That happened to us, but it was for the Princess Cruise Line's private island, not DCL. It was such a bummer! The only positive thing about it was that we got to head towards better weather sooner (it was windy, cool, and overcast in the Bahamas, and we were on our way further south.) I don't mind sea days but it still was disappointing.

jakeman

I wonder how that worked out. My understanding is that if the ship is flying a foreign flag, it cannot just sail from an American port to an American port, it has to stop somewhere else as well. That is the supposed reason for the lack of cruises to Hawaii, they either have to port at some out of the way island (I forget the one) or be registered in the USA, which is expensive (that is why most ships are registered with a flag of convenience). I guess if they really WANTED to dock somewhere, and they were not able to, then they get a pass (or maybe they did have to pay a fee)

=-dave
We followed Sandy around the Atlantic a few years ago. Three day cruise. Canaveral to Canaveral.

I was on my first cruise on the Wonder, we couldn't dock, so it became an at sea day.

The next day, we tried again and was able to dock at CC, so our at sea days were flipped.

EOD K9

Other than being unable to physically dock, and having the port available, what is their criteria for flipping days?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom