New Ticket Security Measures Being Tested

Disney6166

At Disneyland they have extra cast members with modified iPods that scan the ticket. Then if there isn't a picture already attached they take a picture. It takes about 2 minutes.
Actually at Disneyland they take your picture with the scanner it is all in the same unit, as a previous poster said it actually takes less than a minute. Getting thru the gates is very efficient at Disneyland, this really shouldn't mess up the lines at Disney World.

Disney6166

I know that they don't capture fingerprints but I'm not sure it is by law. If it is, please link to the law.

It wouldn't make sense to capture an actual fingerprint image in an entry system anyway. If you were using the print, you'd just store measurements of a few points. Otherwise, the process would take too long without extreme computing power to process all of those entry points simultaneously.
You are correct by law they cannot capture more than 7 points of your fingerprint. Going to 8+ points is considered fingerprinting by Federal Law and is illegal. Computing power these days would not be the reason it would slow down the the lines for the Bio-Metrics, Disney stores your Biometric with your Ticket Number in a database and then checks to see if it matches. It is a quick "Yes" "No" math formula that lights up blue if it wrong, and green if it correct.

G00fyDad

You are correct by law they cannot capture more than 7 points of your fingerprint. Going to 8+ points is considered fingerprinting by Federal Law and is illegal. Computing power these days would not be the reason it would slow down the the lines for the Bio-Metrics, Disney stores your Biometric with your Ticket Number in a database and then checks to see if it matches. It is a quick "Yes" "No" math formula that lights up blue if it wrong, and green if it correct.

Its not illegal. Its illegal to do so without consent.

DsnyFevr

I'm surprised that haven't done this sooner. DL have been taking pictures for multiday tickets for a while.
I'm surprised it took so long too as I have seen plenty of times that the fingerprint doesn't work and after three times cast member just let's them in with no other check.

BrianV

Can we proactively go get the pictures taken? I'd be really annoyed if I'd lined up to get in early, and then had to go wait in a picture taking line.

Cosmic Commando

Don't the photoboxes above the turnstiles already do this or is that project a fail too?
DL has what I think you're referring to and uses them. The CMs with iPads are there at DLR, but the vast majority of entrances are still done with the traditional turnstiles (at least in the fall of 2013). You scan your ticket, and the CM can see your picture on their side of the turnstile. I'd guess that WDW installed the same hardware when they put in the new RFID turnstiles, but just haven't used it yet.

The laws in CA are not as friendly to DL as the FL laws are to WDW. That's why DL has been more aggressive with this kind of thing.

lazyboy97o

I can speak to that. I was a park greeter for a few months, job was boring as hell. Anyway, it was somewhere around 5-10%. This was mostly because seniors pressing too hard or people who couldn't remember which finger they used. Happening less often but often enough to notice was families who would collect all of the tickets after entering a park without labeling them.

By the end of the first month I was convinced that the readers would work 100% Better if the entire hand was placed on the reader flat ( like a palm reader) with the index finger being the one read.
They could just go back to the two finger scanners they used to have.

Such a mess. If my iPhone can do it.... Disney should, too.
And I highly doubt Disney will create NFC phone tickets, as that would remove the benefits of a MagicBand.

roj2323

They could just go back to the two finger scanners they used to have.

And I highly doubt Disney will create NFC phone tickets, as that would remove the benefits of a MagicBand.
Not really. NFC would certainly be more secure than plastic tickets (people are far less likely to let others have their phone) and the only advantage of magic bands (to disney) is the ability to track guests through the park/attractions.

lazyboy97o

And those benefits are? ????
Not really. NFC would certainly be more secure than plastic tickets (people are far less likely to let others have their phone) and the only advantage of magic bands (to disney) is the ability to track guests through the park/attractions.
To Disney the advantage is th long range tracking. Disney also planned to monetize the tracking through attraction interactivity (the custom "it's a small world" endings) and services like Memory Maker.

I could see them making a Magic Band app for your Apple Watch, though.
That would require deploying a separate set of tracking infrastructure, like iBeacon. Limiting toa smart watch really doesn't make sense either, as most still require a phone, so it'd be the phone that is tracked, not the smart watch.

rct247

So... how much longer will these "we buy unused tickets" stands going to be an eyesore around the area? I think that is the big reason behind it. That was people won't buy a 10 day ticket, use 8 days and then try to sell the remaining two.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wonder how many unsolved crimes would have new leads if Disney did collect fingerprints and the government forced them to share the data. Talk amongst yourselves... :hilarious:

With the new boogieman "Terror In The Malls" i would not be surprised to see Disney quietly install inline 'biometric enhancers' which do a full AFIS match on fingerprints and send some people for a photo comparison yet it passes along the usual Disney biometrics to Disney's systems.

And of course it will be a classified 'black box' made by one of the usual suspects Lockheed-Martin, BAE, Boeing, General Dynamics or Harris, The only people to figure that out will be some bright tech who says 'why is gear built by defense contractors being installed at WDW ????'

Plausible deniability and intelligence gathering in one neat little package. And you don't even need to buy a tinfoil hat to put this in the realm of possibilities.

Just imagine TSA at the malls making sure you are 'safe to shop', And follow on with all the major retail chains filing for bankruptcy leaving Amazon and other online retailers the only winners in that war.

Goofnut1980

I can say only one time since this went live did mine not scan right. Outside of that, my finger usually works...

Am I wrong but I thought when I was younger (early 90s), didn't the APs or one of those special tickets have your picture printed on them??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom