New Ticket Security Measures Being Tested

roj2323

I wonder how frequently a failed scan occurs at WDW. For example is it roughly 1 out of 100 or 1 out of 1,000?
I can speak to that. I was a park greeter for a few months, job was boring as hell. Anyway, it was somewhere around 5-10%. This was mostly because seniors pressing too hard or people who couldn't remember which finger they used. Happening less often but often enough to notice was families who would collect all of the tickets after entering a park without labeling them.

By the end of the first month I was convinced that the readers would work 100% Better if the entire hand was placed on the reader flat ( like a palm reader) with the index finger being the one read.

Sage of Time

They told me that the system doesn't analyze the prints, it takes specific measurements of the finger, so if you change the amount of pressure on the scanner it will foul up the readings...

Yep, Disney can't capture a fingerprint by law. Length and width of the finger is recorded onto the ticket when it's initially used. Placement of your finger, if the full finger is used, pressure applied, extended fingernails, which finger, and which hand can all affect it.
Such a mess. If my iPhone can do it.... Disney should, too.

Chicagoshannon2

So they're going backwards then. They used to take pictures a long time ago.

This would be highly annoying for me. If I wait in line for 45 minutes to get into the park and then my finger doesn't read (happens frequently to me) I'd loose my place in line to traipse over to GR. It's so much faster to just pull out my license and show the cast member.

DisneyCane

Yep, Disney can't capture a fingerprint by law.

I know that they don't capture fingerprints but I'm not sure it is by law. If it is, please link to the law.

It wouldn't make sense to capture an actual fingerprint image in an entry system anyway. If you were using the print, you'd just store measurements of a few points. Otherwise, the process would take too long without extreme computing power to process all of those entry points simultaneously.

PhotoDave219

Currently at Animal Kingdom, if a persons bio-metric scan fails multiple times they will be sent to guest relations where they will be asked a some questions. Once the questions are answered their picture will be taken and attached to their ticket, so if the bio-metric fails again at another park the cast member can check the picture attached to the ticket. It is expected to be rolled out to all 4 parks in early March. A similar system is already in place at Disneyland.

So similar to the APs that used to have your photo on them WAAAAAAYYYYYY back when?

PhotoDave219

I know that they don't capture fingerprints but I'm not sure it is by law. If it is, please link to the law.

It wouldn't make sense to capture an actual fingerprint image in an entry system anyway. If you were using the print, you'd just store measurements of a few points. Otherwise, the process would take too long without extreme computing power to process all of those entry points simultaneously.

The way it was explained to me during a town-hall presentation by the ticketing folks (2004 info) is that they create a mathematical algorithm and that is attached to your ticket. Back then, it was the bone structure of your fingers but I'm pretty sure its the same principle just based on your fingerprint instead.

R W B

Darn! I admit, I was part of the problem. My fiancé and I use to never look and see who's key card we used to enter. I knew the system couldn't scan finger prints and it was all about pressure so if entry was denied we would just adjust the pressure accordingly and it was let us in. Never tried it with the bracelets though.

lunchbox1175

Such a mess. If my iPhone can do it.... Disney should, too.
Talk about slowing down the process, I can just imagine being stuck behind people that are placing there finger over and over again on the button to be scanned like you do the first time on your iPhone....at any rate, its not a matter of can do it, Disney is not allowed to have the finger prints.

G00fyDad

Yep, Disney can't capture a fingerprint by law.

at any rate, its not a matter of can do it, Disney is not allowed to have the finger prints.

Sorry, but this is wrong. They can collect the fingerprint legally as long as they have permission from the individual first. However, think of the outrage from the public when Disney asks for a fingerprint. LOL People already flat out lost their minds when Disney started using the biometric scanners. For some reason people have this issue with someone having their fingerprint. I've seen parents flip out at schools when officers come in to make identification kits and want to fingerprint the child. Holy crap. You should see some of these people. Wow. You'd think that the officers were trying to steal the child's soul. :banghead: Logistically it is useless for Disney to try to ask for a fingerprint. I would prefer that they take your photo at the entry point to the parks if it is your first visit. A small pole with a camera attached would do the trick. That way the photo is already in the system. But I am sure that people would flip out into insanity over that too. "NO! You can't take my picture! Its a violation of my privacy!" Although while walking through most malls in this country.... "Ooooohhh, look! A fun little photo booth. Let's get our picture taken!"

Sage of Time

Talk about slowing down the process, I can just imagine being stuck behind people that are placing there finger over and over again on the button to be scanned like you do the first time on your iPhone....at any rate, its not a matter of can do it, Disney is not allowed to have the finger prints.
You know what? I'd be totally fine setting up my finger print when I buy my AP. Or ticket, too.

Sage of Time

Someone else posted that you should be able to link your photo thru your account. I think AP holders should be able to do that, as well as finger print.
I'll have to look into that. I don't mind waiting in lines, I go to the park fairly often, but when I want to get in, I want to get in. LOL

G00fyDad

Someone else posted that you should be able to link your photo thru your account. I think AP holders should be able to do that, as well as finger print.

That's a good point. Allow people to submit a head shot of the person using the MB when they set them up online before their trip. Same thing for AP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom