Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

jbeechuk

The Paris version is really nice. They don't even want to close the thing for a few months though. There's no way they'd close it for 2 years, and even if they were willing to put in a whole new version of Pirates they would probably ruin it by basing it on the movies.
The Paris version is amazing. I was lucky enough to ride it about 10 years ago. It's a shame Disney just is happy with band-aid fixes.

HMF

I don't see three times as excessive. The story follows from the mayor being dunked in the well in an effort to have him tell them where Capt. Jack was. Then further down as he hides away to the final where he has gotten to the treasure. If anything, after all these years, I think it added to the ride if for no other reason then to give today's audience something to identify it with. Even if it's the movie. There really is no harm in people thinking that the ride came from the movie... what difference does it make to the overall enjoyment of the ride. Those of us that know better, well, know better. For others, I see no harm and if nothing else it keeps it current.
The question they never answer is Why would the mayor be hiding Sparrow who clearly wants to steal HIS treasure from other Pirates let alone risk his life to protect Sparrow. The old dialogue made perfect sense He refused to tell the Pirates where the treasure was hidden, The new dialogue and storyline makes NO SENSE!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The question they never answer is Why would the mayor be hiding Sparrow who clearly wants to steal HIS treasure from other Pirates let alone risk his life to protect Sparrow. The old dialogue made perfect sense He refused to tell the Pirates where the treasure was hidden, The new dialogue and storyline makes NO SENSE!
There is a little known subplot involving the Mayor and Sparrow that's not PG rated.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Jack Sparrow even finding the treasure doesn't make sense. He isn't that good of a pirate. More likely is that he would have drunkly stumbled into some place, found a tin spoon and called it a grand treasure room.

Goofyernmost

I believe that comes under the heading of..."Willing suspension of disbelief". Things do not have to make sense to be part of a fantasy story. :)

Jack Sparrow even finding the treasure doesn't make sense. He isn't that good of a pirate. More likely is that he would have drunkly stumbled into some place, found a tin spoon and called it a grand treasure room.
Drunkinly stumbling into the treasure would be an exact carry of the story. But, I always felt that the idea that Jack had no idea what was going on, was what allowed him to be Captain Jack Sparrow and was an intentional ruse.o_O

lazyboy97o

I believe that comes under the heading of..."Willing suspension of disbelief". Things do not have to make sense to be part of a fantasy story. :)

Drunkinly stumbling into the treasure would be an exact carry of the story. But, I always felt that the idea that Jack had no idea what was going on, was what allowed him to be Captain Jack Sparrow and was an intentional ruse.o_O
Suspension of disbelief is not an excuse to do whatever. It's built on an established world and nothing else about the world suggests that people in this construct have preferred robbers.

Jack Sparrow admits to Elizabeth Swan that he just told stories in Curse of the Black Pearl. The stories about the Black Pearl are true but the sequels state that the mutiny against Sparrow occurred shortly after Davy Jones raised the ship.

Goofyernmost

Suspension of disbelief is not an excuse to do whatever. It's built on an established world and nothing else about the world suggests that people in this construct have preferred robbers.

Jack Sparrow admits to Elizabeth Swan that he just told stories in Curse of the Black Pearl. The stories about the Black Pearl are true but the sequels state that the mutiny against Sparrow occurred shortly after Davy Jones raised the ship.
I beg to differ. It is exactly what suspension of disbelief is all about. And, as an example, your entire second paragraph is massive suspension of disbelief. Does it occur to anyone but me that the whole idea of even having a conversation about a fictional point, in a fictional theme park ride, with a fictional setting in a fictional story is just a little strange? :joyfull: In other words, fiction is fiction. It can be whatever the story tellers want it to be. We can get all "logical" about it or let ourselves become involved in the story and not the detail.

lazyboy97o

I beg to differ. It is exactly what suspension of disbelief is all about. And, as an example, your entire second paragraph is massive suspension of disbelief. Does it occur to anyone but me that the whole idea of even having a conversation about a fictional point, in a fictional theme park ride, with a fictional setting in a fictional story is just a little strange? :joyfull: In other words, fiction is fiction. It can be whatever the story tellers want it to be. We can get all "logical" about it or let ourselves become involved in the story and not the detail.
If all fiction was the same there would be no good or bad stories. Suspension of disbelief and its relationship to rules of the fictional world are a big component of why people buy into a story and its fictional world.

Goofyernmost

If all fiction was the same there would be no good or bad stories. Suspension of disbelief and its relationship to rules of the fictional world are a big component of why people buy into a story and its fictional world.
Yes, sir... I agree that if someone is writing a fictional murder mystery, for example, then the detail would be important and have to follow a believable, reality based story for people to be able to logically follow the action. This, however, is a whimsical, pirates ride and I am fairly sure that beginning to end is totally an imagined show. I doubt if Pirates really acted or looked the way they are depicted in the ride. So, I feel that to be overly concerned about this one seemingly missing link, is just a little, how can I say this, crazy? :joyfull:

lazyboy97o

Yes, sir... I agree that if someone is writing a fictional murder mystery, for example, then the detail would be important and have to follow a believable, reality based story for people to be able to logically follow the action. This, however, is a whimsical, pirates ride and I am fairly sure that beginning to end is totally an imagined show. I doubt if Pirates really acted or looked the way they are depicted in the ride. So, I feel that to be overly concerned about this one seemingly missing link, is just a little, how can I say this, crazy? :joyfull:
Something that blatantly contradicts human action is not a little tiny missing link. It's something that is not elsewhere fictionalized or established.

Sage of Time

I'm no fan of the Jack Sparrow overlay... but they're pirates. happens. Double crossings and all that. If anything, the dialogue is the least offensive part of it.

tirian

Rule #1 of creating a believable fantasy world: you can't make it up as you go.

The mayor dunking scene has been called out many times since Jack Sparrow was added to the ride.

Goofyernmost

Rule #1 of creating a believable fantasy world: you can't make it up as you go.

The mayor dunking scene has been called out many times since Jack Sparrow was added to the ride.
Rule #2... Ignore rule #1! Why? Because a fantasy world is nothing if not made up. It can be made up originally or it can be made up at any point in it's existence. Yes, it did have an original reasoning (made up as they went along), but, then it changed. The cool thing is that it is allowed in a fantasy. There are no restrictions in fantasy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom