Princess and the Frog/ Tianas Place?

DizneyPryncess

I always thought this would fit in nicely at Port Orleans, but never actually heard of any real ideas about it. It's one of my favorite Disney movies, I'd love to see the restaurant happen somewhere. We met Tiana & Naveen when their M&G was new, and it was one of my favorite M&G's. A little frog came out of the bushes and was frantically hopping around in front of them, and us. Tiana got very concerned and said, "Be careful! Don't squish the frog! That would not be very magical!" We got him back in the bushes, but she was so funny. Will never forget that. :)

SnarkyMonkey

They meet occasionally at Port Orleans, don't they? I'd think whichever one currently lacks a TS restaurant (FQ?), THAT's where Tiana's Place should go.

I don't think there are any meet and greets in the resorts. I have certainly never seen them at Port Orleans.

I heard that Fulton's is getting a makeover into a cajun restaurant (probably so it won't be the same as the Boathouse). So, there is an opportunity there for some sort of Princess and the Frog tie-in. I agree that it would be cool.

MarkTwain

I think there's a huge opportunity for a Tiana's Place TSR at Port Orleans French Quarter. POFQ actually has a former TSR just to the left of the lobby, now unused and with its door always shut (which tragically leaves French Quarter as the only deluxe or moderate resort on property without a table service eatery).

Install some ritzier theming and change the name to Tiana's Place, and they would easily have a hit restaurant. Have Tiana and Louis do character dining there and they could probably make $40 a person.

Matt_Black

Actually, don't they still use it? It's not open to customers, certainly, but I was under the impression that it was used as WDW's official "test kitchen".

MarkTwain

Actually, don't they still use it? It's not open to customers, certainly, but I was under the impression that it was used as WDW's official "test kitchen".

Good point, they do use it for that.

But I would argue there are for more appropriate places for a test kitchen than what should be an onstage area, and a resort without a TSR otherwise. I'm guessing they use the space because of its availability and vacancy, much like how they "use" Wonders of Life and Odyssey as events spaces.

Monkee Girl

Easter is another time I know characters come out. I don't know about princesses at the other resorts, but the Polynesian usually gets Chip and Dale and Thumper. Which was awesome because I had never met Thumper before. So cute.

Bing Bong

This is going to sound awful; but it's just my opinion: :angelic: I was not a fan of this movie at all. I didn't care for the characters, or the music, I hated the ending. I thought they spend way too much time paying homage to other stories as opposed to making Tiana's story unique. And I felt the ending (all that kiss stuff) was way too over complicated. Charlotte's father was king of Mardi gras making her a princess???? Come on, that hurt my head. It also started all this forced princess coronation stuff. I just felt she needed to wait a little more before being so over hyped as a new princess. gotta pay your dues kind of thing if that makes any sense. I just wasn't a fan. However, I think it's time for me to revisit the movie and see if I have a better appreciation for it.

That being said, it's now been 7-8 years (OMG I can't believe it's been that long!) and I think it's time to give her something more than just a meet and greet. Perhaps they should make a Port Orleans restaurant for her. It fits theme there. Or at the Springs as suggested. What's tough is her time period. The 1920s doesn't fit with anything really in MK. I could suggest MAYBE the American Pavilion...even though I am not a huge fan of the over characterization of EPCOT (see Frozen in Norway) but I think done right, they could make it a not so intrusive thing in the showcase. I dunno.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see what a menu would be. I am not a fan of Cajun cooking or anything so would probably never eat there. But I like restaurant design and all that. So I would love seeing concepts.
How is the Mardi Gras plot device complicated? I understood everything just fine the first time I watched it... then again I'm more familiar with New Orleans culture than some people.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I don't think there are any meet and greets in the resorts. I have certainly never seen them at Port Orleans.

I heard that Fulton's is getting a makeover into a cajun restaurant (probably so it won't be the same as the Boathouse). So, there is an opportunity there for some sort of Princess and the Frog tie-in. I agree that it would be cool.
Yes they do have meet and greets at resorts, sometimes.

During the holidays, various characters meet at the Resorts in holiday attire.
During Mardi Gras, at Port Orleans Riverside & French Qtr they do a parade with Tiana & Naveen and they sometimes do a meet & greet after.

Last edited:

Sped2424

I think a tiana's place at port orleans is a no brainer. Put Tiana's place there and make it a wonderful character dining by day.... and a JAZZ CLUB FOR ADULTS BY NIGHT
firefly+five+plus+lou+princess+and+the+frog+disney.jpg

Firefly five could host things and we could actually have a nice swing club of sorts. Seriously the potential here is fantastic.

Philharmagically

French Quarter would be the perfect place. I mean, you already have the Mardi Gras themed "Floatworks" QS, so it really is the perfect setting. And they could keep the "testing kitchen", make some excuse about Tiana messing around with new recipes. It would create a fun, jazzy (there would have to be jazz....) and unique dining experience. Plus the added bonus of a changing menu enticing guests to return to the restaurant multiple times.

But that's just me doing a bit of armchair imagineering.

Sped2424

French Quarter would be the perfect place. I mean, you already have the Mardi Gras themed "Floatworks" QS, so it really is the perfect setting. And they could keep the "testing kitchen", make some excuse about Tiana messing around with new recipes. It would create a fun, jazzy (there would have to be jazz....) and unique dining experience. Plus the added bonus of a changing menu enticing guests to return to the restaurant multiple times.

But that's just me doing a bit of armchair imagineering.
It's just amazing that if we all have this idea there is no telling what imagineering could do with this concept. Yet nothing has been done about this.

pintraderpayee

I must defend my fellow Louisiana girl, Tiana. She was not created to be a man-hater, she just thought she didn't have time for that. In the beginning of the movie she was in relentless pursuit of her restaurant much like Charlotte's pursuit of a prince. The physical changes of Naveen and Tiana were necessary in order to reveal their true character. The same thing is true of Lawrence and Ray. Lawrence's true grasping, jealous nature is revealed and Ray's "star" quality, if you will, is shown. Louis being shown as a big baby is funny. Many people assume that the nature of alligators is the same as that of crocs. It isn't. Contrary to what you see on "Swamp People" (who by the way intentionally aggravate the gators for effect) alligators are not the man-eating aggressive things they appear to be on TV. We regularly swim, ski, and tube in lakes with alligators. So in a way they kind of are big babies!
Someone suggested that TPATF pays too much homage to other Disney movies. Those are called Easter Eggs and they are fun to watch for! Facilier's dance with the voodoo dolls is no different than Olaf's dance with the pigeons in that both are an homage to Bert and the dancing penguins in Mary Poppins. Anyone who thinks Charlotte wasn't a princess during the Mardi Gras season should head on down this way and speak to any Krewe member.
I would love to see a New Orleans Square area at WDW. Maybe in the area past BTWRR and it could even have a depot like at DL! Wishful thinking on my part.

MaxsDad

I have wanted to see WDW do this at FQ as well. As I recall, the building is on the river in the movie, is two stories tall, and rectangular in shape. The best location I see that fits the bill is just north of building one, where a courtyard stands now, but it would be tight. You would have a terrace with river views, and attract business from the DtD boats, making commuting to this resort TS pretty cool. Character Dining was something I too thought about, but .......

I really love the idea above about a Jazz Club at night. Awesome experience, and the building could generate revenue from 7am to what 1 or 2 am? For a crowd that is notorious for being money grubbing, they sure are leaving a ton of it on the table with this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom