The Sole Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Life of Brian is hands down amazing. If you haven't seen the monty Python live show from last year you must. I showed it to my gf as the first Monty Python 20 mins into she turns to me and goes. They are allow to show this on television in England? With a confused look on her face
Hahaha! I'll check it out. And yeah, they show a lot of things on BBC that would NEVER make it to broadcast here. I shared a Little Britain live show here a few weeks back and had to edit my post to remove it because I'd forgotten how...edgy...they can be and it wasn't quite appropriate for public posting in the forum.

I got it taken down pretty quickly, but...it was embarrassing! :p

Sam Magic

Hahaha! I'll check it out. And yeah, they show a lot of things on BBC that would NEVER make it to broadcast here. I shared a Little Britain live show here a few weeks back and had to edit my post to remove it because I'd forgotten how...edgy...they can be and it wasn't quite appropriate for public posting in the forum.

I love Little Britain! It's a brilliant show.

Voxel

President of Progress City

It's very edgy. Heck I remember my first time in italy watching a football game in the bar. I heard my friend gasp and I looked at the tv and saw a naked woman just selling a product. Much different culture, a lot of thing I liked about it and a lot of things I didn't

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's very edgy. Heck I remember my first time in italy watching a football game in the bar. I heard my friend gasp and I looked at the tv and saw a naked woman just selling a product. Much different culture, a lot of thing I liked about it and a lot of things I didn't
Germany was like that as well. Nude women selling snacks and things on TV that you'd NEVER see on broadcast TV here. Ever.

Sam Magic

Sam, I talked to RM about the "one post a day" rule and he said it was more of a suggestion.
Oh okay, I thought it was more of a rule. I didn't respond too much this last comp so I know I would be gone this week anyways if it was.

So, umm...what did you all think about my first live show. I hope I didn't put targets on anyone's head.

Sam Magic

You sure threw Aaron O. under the bus by name. Not sure how cool that was. There's snark, and that's fine, but there's still a line.

Otherwise, it wasn't a bad video. I enjoyed it.
Yeah, after I said what I said I'm like darn I was a jerk. I feel really bad about it.
You singled out some members a bit too much, I think... but thanks for all the compliments!

Overall, I liked it.
Thanks, I plan on not doing the same next time I do a live chat with you guys.

I think I'm going to call these 'Fireside Chats With Sam'. Thoughts?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah, after I said what I said I'm like darn I was a jerk. I feel really bad about it.

Thanks, I plan on not doing the same next time I do a live chat with you guys.

I think I'm going to call these 'Fireside Chats With Sam'. Thoughts?
Yeah. It's not what you said, per se, imho. It's that you singled him out.

We've all had that same frustration, so I certainly empathise with your statement, but it's still not cool to single someone out like that. It happens to everyone. Heck, I got busy and didn't even make the final post for the last comp I did, and I've dropped out of comps in the past and/or been that "guy who doesn't help". Like I said, it happens to everyone.

Had you said the same thing but made it a general statement about how "some people" and mentioned that you've seen it in other team comps (because we all have) it would have been completely fine. I wouldn't over edit/censor yourself, or you come off as false, but just try and avoid calling out individuals and making it personal where it doesn't need to be.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, as far as your web series, I think this "fireside" thing works, but I'd avoid going off on topics that aren't centered around your audience too much (you did that last video, and it was boring, frankly, as a viewer, to wait for you to get to the topic I clicked on the video to hear about).

Your characters, while an interesting idea (and you do a GREAT Thatcher, btw, I was cracking up!) are forced. Use them sparingly.

And, you have one character in particular that, imho, you should just avoid doing and leave it on the brainstorming shelf. That's the mother and son.

Last edited:

Sam Magic

Yeah. It's not what you said, per se, imho. It's that you singled him out.

We've all had that same frustration, so I certainly empathise with your statement, but it's still not cool to single someone out like that. It happens to everyone.

Had you said the same thing but made it a general statement about how "some people" and mentioned that you've seen it in other team comps (because we all have) it would have been completely fine. I wouldn't over edit/censor yourself, or you come off as false, but just try and avoid calling out individuals and making it personal where it doesn't need to be.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, as far as your web series, I think this "fireside" thing works, but I'd avoid going off on topics that aren't centered around your audience too much (you did that last video, and it was boring, frankly, as a viewer, to wait for you to get to the topic I clicked on the video to hear about).

Your characters, while an interesting idea (and you do a GREAT Thatcher, btw, I was cracking up!) are forced. Use them sparingly.

And, you have one character in particular that, imho, you should just avoid doing and leave it on the brainstorming shelf. That's the mother and son.
Got it, I always take your two cents and keep them in my register.

It was really wrong for me to call him out specifically so Aaron O, I am sorry.

I also agree that the last video was absolutely horrible. I mean, I took it off because it was so bad. Certainly not quality content and was a waste of time for anyone that watched it. I guess everyone has those bad videos.

Thank you for your compliments on Thatcher, it's probably my favorite voice to do. He will be a more frequented character. And I agree that the mother and son take it a bit too far...I think I will just go with a Southern Aristocrat to get my jabs on the south in whenever I need to be snarky to the south. I'm a bit iffy on the arrogant NE guy. I think for now I will probably stick and develop Thatcher as I think it is the most comical and personally the one I enjoy doing the most.

Again, thanks for your payment it's always welcome and appreciated.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I will, thank you so much!
Crashplan and Carbonite are probably the best out there on the market right now, imho.

Install the client, set it to grab your entire windows (or mac) profile, and just let it run in the background forever.

Bitcasa was my favorite, but they did something unacceptable for a "data backup and protection" company last month, and now I won't refer them again.

If I lost my computer, I could be up and running on a new one (or a different one) in about 15 minutes.

And, NOTHING stinks more than putting a ton of work into something and then losing it (or losing important things to me, like my family pictures, etc...)

If your family doesn't have a cloud backup system, I'd seriously look into one. Odds are you can just pick a single account plan for around 10 bucks a month or so and back up ALL your units with it.

Sam Magic

Crashplan and Carbonite are probably the best out there on the market right now, imho.

Install the client, set it to grab your entire windows (or mac) profile, and just let it run in the background forever.

Bitcasa was my favorite, but they did something unacceptable for a "data backup and protection" company last month, and now I won't refer them again.

If I lost my computer, I could be up and running on a new one (or a different one) in about 15 minutes.

And, NOTHING stinks more than putting a ton of work into something and then losing it (or losing important things to me, like my family pictures, etc...)

If your family doesn't have a cloud backup system, I'd seriously look into one. Odds are you can just pick a single account plan for around 10 bucks a month or so and back up ALL your units with it.
I went and got Crashplan like you said. Typically I use Skydrive and upload once a week, but life throws you curve-balls. Thank you a ton for this recommendation.

So what was this thing Bitcasa did?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I went and got Crashplan like you said. Typically I use Skydrive and upload once a week, but life throws you curve-balls. Thank you a ton for this recommendation.

So what was this thing Bitcasa did?
They changed their pricing model from Unlimited for 9.99 a month to a 10 TB limit, and in the process, they deleted all your old data if you didn't do their "update" by a certain time.

Now, I'm a sysadmin, I get "why" they may have wanted their users to do this...HOWEVER, they sent out the notices to people, not through the client, not through a phone call or text, but through a mass email bot.

In my case, the bot got flagged by gmail as spam, and I never saw the emails, and I lost a years worth of BUSINESS backups.

They are still a solid service that works well for the price, but...they aren't nearly as good as they used to be. They do have one interesting feature that many of the others don't have though...an iPhone / Droid app that will automatically back up your phone pictures and data as well...but, that's not a big deal to me.

That was one of the things I had to deal with over the holidays...changing my backup service.

Sam Magic

They changed their pricing model from Unlimited for 9.99 a month to a 10 TB limit, and in the process, they deleted all your old data if you didn't do their "update" by a certain time.

Now, I'm a sysadmin, I get "why" they may have wanted their users to do this...HOWEVER, they sent out the notices to people, not through the client, not through a phone call or text, but through a mass email bot.

In my case, the bot got flagged by gmail as spam, and I never saw the emails, and I lost a years worth of BUSINESS backups.

They are still a solid service that works well for the price, but...they aren't nearly as good as they used to be. They do have one interesting feature that many of the others don't have though...an iPhone / Droid app that will automatically back up your phone pictures and data as well...but, that's not a big deal to me.

That was one of the things I had to deal with over the holidays...changing my backup service.
That honestly stinks. I am really sorry to hear about that.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That honestly stinks. I am really sorry to hear about that.
Not a biggie. More an irritation than anything else. I set up a 3-2-1 backup system at work (and at home frankly, though that's overkill for most home environments), so losing the cloud backups isn't really a mission critical loss...

Level 1 is Local Server Backup
Level 2 is Local Backup of the Server
Level 3 is Offsite "Cloud" backup.

321BackupDiagram-580x263.png

So, I'd never use them unless it's the very LAST option, which is very VERY rare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom