Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

AndyLL

I am sure you did not read my post all the way. I was replying to someone who said all of Cameron's movies where great. Obviously not everyone thinks Avatar was great. I did not say anything about how Disney will be ruined because people did not like avatar. I said I was looking forward to it in the parks but was not looking to watch the new movies. I think your sarcasm was out of line.

Avatar is #1 in both domestic and WW boxoffice.
Titanic... also Cameron... is #2

Cameron also did: Terminator, T2, Aliens, True Lies and The Abyss.

I think its fair to say that Cameron movies are all great.

flyerjab

The extended director's cut of the Abyss makes that movie so much better than the original theatrical version. I think that the work done to recreate the Titanic, along with the entire sinking montage, is some of the best work his group has done.

One of my favorites though is still Terminator 2.

Thinking more on this, I think Cameron would do well in designing theme park attractions. For what the uber fans want out of WDW, Cameron, in his movie career, has never been afraid to go well over budget to get the impact he wants in his films. I can only imagine the extent to which he would push an E-Ticket ride in its design and implementation. He also like cutting edge technology so that would also fit in with designing a new and unique experience.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The extended director's cut of the Abyss makes that movie so much better than the original theatrical version. I think that the work done to recreate the Titanic, along with the entire sinking montage, is some of the best work his group has done.

One of my favorites though is still Terminator 2.

Thinking more on this, I think Cameron would do well in designing theme park attractions. For what the uber fans want out of WDW, Cameron, in his movie career, has never been afraid to go well over budget to get the impact he wants in his films. I can only imagine the extent to which he would push an E-Ticket ride in its design and implementation. He also like cutting edge technology so that would also fit in with designing a new and unique experience.

Yeah, I like the extended version, started watching it a few months ago, it should be over any day now. ;)

doctornick

i thought it was the 3D that made all that money for the movie?

I'm sure 3D was one of the big things, but it strikes me that Avatar had a lot of repeat viewers. I know some people who went a couple times, especially people who went to see it in 3D after seeing it in 2D originally. Repeat ticket sales will certainly increase the box office numbers.

flyerjab

Yeah, I like the extended version, started watching it a few months ago, it should be over any day now. ;)

Ha! :)

Actually, the extended version has a bunch of extras that shows how hard and long everyone worked (in a huge water tank) to make that film. I was really struck how Cameron worked as hard or harder than anyone to make that film.

He is one of the big reasons I am excited for this expansion. He pushes people to get the maximum out of them. He doesn't strike me as one who settles. That is why I have confidence that Disney came to an agreement with Cameron that satisfied him.

Last edited:

twebber55

I'm sure 3D was one of the big things, but it strikes me that Avatar had a lot of repeat viewers. I know some people who went a couple times, especially people who went to see it in 3D after seeing it in 2D originally. Repeat ticket sales will certainly increase the box office numbers.
yeah I was being a smidge tongue and cheek....plus blu ray sales were through the roof

Next Big Thing

I am predicting right now that Avatar 2 won't surpass Avatar in box office. And will be viewed in the industry as a MAJOR flop.

In park Avatar merchandise sales will be abysmal.

DAK's attendance bump will be at the expense of DHS and Epcot.
VERY bold prediction sir :rolleyes:

Avatar grossed $2.7 BILLION worldwide and is the #1 highest grossing movie of all-time.

Surpassing it would be pretty incredible to say the least.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
VERY bold prediction sir :rolleyes:

Avatar grossed $2.7 BILLION worldwide and is the #1 highest grossing movie of all-time.

Surpassing it would be pretty incredible to say the least.

Even BOLDER prediction. Only one person will buy a ticket to Avatar 2:Invasion of the Jugalos.

Fable McCloud

I hate to cycle back to previous threads, but man what I would give to be having this discussion about Beastly Kingdom instead of Avatar.

I just think this is gonna be pretty, but not have the staying power of a land dedicated to mythical creatures that aren't tied to a franchise...

I didn't care for Avatar. It was Fern Gully with blue cat people. Disney may have the incredible ability to create a highly stylized and beautiful environment, but I don't know any 6 year olds who are gonna yell "look it's Jake Sully!" the way they do when they see Mickey. Kids don't know Avatar, because it's a PG-13 movie that can be unsuitable for kids. There's that whole sex-thing, and the genocide, and I doubt the next movies will be tamer.

I 'm really thinking that Disney just picked the wrong thing to add to AK. They could have had a whole cool area for Dragons, (of which Disney has many to feature...Maleficent, Figment, Elliot, The Reluctant Dragon, Mushu), unicorns, gryffins, manticores, sphinxes, hydras, etc. But I digress.

Disney will make something that is amazing, but I don't think it will have the lasting impact they're looking for.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I hate to cycle back to previous threads, but man what I would give to be having this discussion about Beastly Kingdom instead of Avatar.

I just think this is gonna be pretty, but not have the staying power of a land dedicated to mythical creatures that aren't tied to a franchise...

I didn't care for Avatar. It was Fern Gully with blue cat people. Disney may have the incredible ability to create a highly stylized and beautiful environment, but I don't know any 6 year olds who are gonna yell "look it's Jake Sully!" the way they do when they see Mickey. Kids don't know Avatar, because it's a PG-13 movie that can be unsuitable for kids. There's that whole sex-thing, and the genocide, and I doubt the next movies will be tamer.

I 'm really thinking that Disney just picked the wrong thing to add to AK. They could have had a whole cool area for Dragons, (of which Disney has many to feature...Maleficent, Figment, Elliot, The Reluctant Dragon, Mushu), unicorns, gryffins, manticores, sphinxes, hydras, etc. But I digress.

Disney will make something that is amazing, but I don't think it will have the lasting impact they're looking for.
You don't think that those fabled mythical beast wouldn't scare the snot out of the same kids that don't know nor care who Jake Sully is?

I think you are falling into the same rut as a lot of others who continue to think that WDW is just for kids.

Fable McCloud

You don't think that those fabled mythical beast wouldn't scare the snot out of the same kids that don't know nor care who Jake Sully is?

I think you are falling into the same rut as a lot of others who continue to think that WDW is just for kids.

I didn't mean it that way...:(

I just think things should be accessible to all ages.

Also, there's dinosaurs in AK, and dragons are just like them. So I don't think dragons would have been a bad addition.

Like I said, just my thoughts, not trying to cause any hostility or anything.:oops:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I didn't mean it that way...:(

I just think things should be accessible to all ages.

Also, there's dinosaurs in AK, and dragons are just like them. So I don't think dragons would have been a bad addition.

Like I said, just my thoughts, not trying to cause any hostility or anything.:oops:
None taken...just discussing.

I think that too many people are relying on the story of Avatar for this addition to be understood. I think it will be just the opposite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom