The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Yep, that is me too. I am friendly back with the initial greeting but in a heartbeat I will go elsewhere if they won't allow me to browse until I find what I am looking for. I'm even fine with the pop back, a place that I frequent for clothes for myself, when they pop back and say still doing good? and they are on their way again unless I have a question. I like that mutual respect. Each shopper is different, some like that hand holding, a mark of a good sales person is to know when to hold them and when to walk away.

Exactly! And, bein' in retail at my age, I already came into the game havin' been a shopper for many decades myself. So, I already, pretty much, knew how the dance should go. :)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you did get 7 hours. What I was saying is that I do, one way or the other. Not connected to you at all. I use a CPAP machine and I do not wake up gasping either, I just have found myself waking up much more often then I used too. There was a time when I saw every hour of every night. I did sleep some in between those gasping awakenings, but, since I got the machine, it has been years since I have had any trouble sleeping through the night. Something must have changed, however, when I get up I feel like mentally, not physically, I didn't sleep much, but, when I actually add it all up... I get my normal amount, just not uninterrupted anymore.
Ok question here, what is this gasping you speak of.
A couple of times a month, I wake up choking, gasping for air, yet almost hyperventilating.
I have always just assumed I had aspirated some saliva and was choking on it.
Is your experience similar to this? Or am I really just choking on spit that "went down the wrong way"?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My aunt hasn't taken over Christmas Eve this year from my grandparents who can't physically and mentally do it anymore. And she wants everything to do the same :rolleyes: as it was when we were kids. Which means 'Santa' coming dressed as my idiotic cousin. And then people will ask me about a job. My other idiotic cousin makes like six figures selling Paychex and all she did during college was boozing it up and being a *****. The party was just going to a immediate family but now it's way more people than usual. All through my mind is usually how I don't want to be here. I do like my other cousins though.

If I ever find someone, I'm going to their house.

Oh I feel your pain. We have stopped attending Christmas Day with my husbands side of the family altogether. I send gifts a day in advance or so for my MIL and the nieces and nephews. As I've mentioned my husband has 2 brothers, both of which married two sisters. The sisters especially one are very dominating control freaks. One brother has a heart of gold but his way of coping is to let the two ladies do and say whatever. The two girl nieces are nice young women. All three nephews are above and beyond jerks even to their own immediate families which brings so much stress.

My son flew in and out for my MIL 90th birthday the last day of November. When we were leaving this 75+ guest party both my kids were like that is enough for the next 3 years or until there is a funeral...whichever comes first. My DD was in your shoes until the 90th party, she started her job the next day but it didn't stop most from questioning her to death. It got real old with everyone having an opinion or a question.

And a girl doesn't help the situation. OMG! How many times people said to my son something about when are you guys getting engaged or married (they have gone out 2 years.) Talk about inappropriate or none of their business, my one SIL asked my DS 3 different times at the birthday party. 3 times. He wanted to both belt her,lol and tell her to ******** After the 3rd time I poured him a scotch and sent him and her to go look at the aquatic facilities of the venue. He was thankful to be sent away. Still my idiot BIL wanted a group shot of the grandkids, 6 of 7, 20 something adults, get over here, your not listening to me, I said get up there... Not once asking just barking. Ahhh....family gatherings.

Goofyernmost

A couple of times a month, I wake up choking, gasping for air, yet almost hyperventilating.
Is your experience similar to this? Or am I really just choking on spit that "went down the wrong way"?
Apnea is when the air passage closes off when you relax the muscles in your throat when you fall asleep. It closes off and you stop breathing. Eventually your body (hopefully) reacts to it and wakes you up as you are gasping for air. As you can imagine this is bad for a number of critical body parts, primarily ones brain, deprived of oxygen and the heart trying desperately to pump more oxygen to those organs. It can be fatal if not caught in time and corrected. I registered, in my sleep study, that this happened to me over 60 times an hour. I didn't always wake up completely but, it did create a situation where I was never falling into a deep sleep, so I was always tired and sleepy.

What you are talking about is a natural thing caused by drainage of the sinuses, but, that can be dangerous as well, if the amount of secretion is sufficient to make it difficult to clear out ones air passage. In fact, I knew someone that died from just that. He was unable to clear his passages out and could not catch his breath, but, one usually knows if it is bad enough to be concerned. What you are describing is something that is an occasional thing that usually happens when lying on your back and only annoying but seldom anything to be concerned with.

Gabe1

So, I was on my way to take DS to his buddies house on the street just behind my folks. As we're drivin' by, I see my 81 yr. old pop up on the roof with a leaf blower. After I drop DS off I head back and over to their place. Pretty much all the leaves are off all the trees, so he was up there blowin' out the gutters. Bonus: the gutters were also full of hundreds of pecans, and he was blowin' them out, too...! :) So, I hung out for a bit, chatted, and helped them fill up a few buckets. Thus far, not including todays haul, they've gathered more than 250 lbs. worth. :)

Why do people climb on roofs to blow out leaves out of gutters? I did ask the same question after idiot BIL, 20 years ago fell off the roof and then had knee surgery.

Goofyernmost

Why do people climb on roofs to blow out leaves out of gutters? I did ask the same question after idiot BIL, 20 years ago fell off the roof and then had knee surgery.
I don't know about younger people, but, for people that are elderly and starting to feel it, it is a way to prove to themselves that they can still do what they once did when they were young. It very often has tragic outcomes.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Apnea is when the air passage closes off when you relax the muscles in your throat when you fall asleep. It closes off and you stop breathing. Eventually your body (hopefully) reacts to it and wakes you up as you are gasping for air. As you can imagine this is bad for a number of critical body parts, primarily ones brain, deprived of oxygen and the heart trying desperately to pump more oxygen to those organs. It can be fatal if not caught in time and corrected. I registered, in my sleep study, that this happened to me over 60 times an hour. I didn't always wake up completely but, it did create a situation where I was never falling into a deep sleep, so I was always tired and sleepy.

What you are talking about is a natural thing caused by drainage of the sinuses, but, that can be dangerous as well, if the amount of secretion is sufficient to make it difficult to clear out ones air passage. In fact, I knew someone that died from just that. He was unable to clear his passages out and could not catch his breath, but, one usually knows if it is bad enough to be concerned. What you are describing is something that is an occasional thing that usually happens when lying on your back and only annoying but seldom anything to be concerned with.
Thank you, and YAY!

Gabe1

Hahaaa...!
Oh, I gave 'im the what-for, alright, as did my mother. First thing I asked him was if he had permission to be up there. His response. "What permission?" But, he was already up on the roof, and I sure as heck wasn't gonna' go up there and try to drag his beeeeehind down...! I did, however, kinda' follow him around from down below (gettin' showered with leaves and twigs and bonked on the noggin' with pecans!!! :joyfull:), thinkin' I might at least be able to help break his fall...! :D ;) :)

Oh, and I fined him one beer. :hungry: ;) :)

Ha! Win Win

Gabe1

I don't know about younger people, but, for people that are elderly and starting to feel it, it is a way to prove to themselves that they can still do what they once did when they were young. It very often has tragic outcomes.

You're right. I asked the question because I've padlocked my fathers extension ladders to the wall of the garage. My DH cleans my Dads (from a ladder not the roof) but my 86 year old father still wants to prove he still can, which he can't. Oy.

Deep down, he really doesn't want to, he just doesn't want to be told he can't. Makes me tired.

Goofyernmost

You're right. I asked the question because I've padlocked my fathers extension ladders to the wall of the garage. My DH cleans my Dadsfrom a ladder not the roof) but my 86 year old father still wants to prove he still can, which he can't. Oy.

Deep down, he really doesn't want to, he just doesn't want to be told he can't. Makes me tired.
Well, don't be to down on him. Someday you will be in the place where you are desperately trying to stay useful and able. I have mixed emotions about it. I understand why and I also know why it isn't a good idea. The two conflict every once in a while.

donaldtoo

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you did get 7 hours. What I was saying is that I do, one way or the other. Not connected to you at all. I use a CPAP machine and I do not wake up gasping either, I just have found myself waking up much more often then I used too. There was a time when I saw every hour of every night. I did sleep some in between those gasping awakenings, but, since I got the machine, it has been years since I have had any trouble sleeping through the night. Something must have changed, however, when I get up I feel like mentally, not physically, I didn't sleep much, but, when I actually add it all up... I get my normal amount, just not uninterrupted anymore.

No worries, no apology necessary. I knew what you meant. Sorry if my post sounded like I didn't. :)
As I related, I used to wake up gasping and choking way too much when I let my weight get out of control. It just doesn't happen when I start to get my weight down, like now. But, good Lord, I hated that feeling. Scared the carp outta' me every time. Very glad the CPAP has solved the problem for you. :)
And, yes, it was even more of a pain already dealing with interrupted and less sleep. Throw in the apnea, and it was really no fun. I just need to never let my weight get outa' control again, for that, and other reasons.

donaldtoo

That sure sounds very similar to what I've experienced. Can't say for sure, though. You should probably run it past your doc.

Gabe1

Well, don't be to down on him. Someday you will be in the place where you are desperately trying to stay useful and able. I have mixed emotions about it. I understand why and I also know why it isn't a good idea. The two conflict every once in a while.

I had a blessed and privileged childhood. My Dad was above and beyond a good provider to my Mom, sister and me.
But this man, my Dad believes that when a man says something it is the final decision as men are the head of the households. Problem is that the women of the household didn't buy into that even when he was a much younger man. So when he tries to climb on the roof, I buy a padlock. Mind you the dude has had quad bypass, a hip replacement and has a knee that should be replaced and walks with a cane. I am waiting for him to buy a bolt cutter next. :eek:

donaldtoo

Yep, what you described up there in the first paragraph would be closer to what I've experienced.

Gabe1

I just don't get the idea of walking the roof. I can take a leaf blower from the ladder and blow them out without standing on the roof looking down. I agree, tragic outcomes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom