What's Wrong With Lights, Motors, Action?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Another thread got me thinking about this show. I think I have figured out why I no longer like this show.

It's boring now.

I actually like the Lights Motors Action concept. It's awesome. However, it doesn't have very long staying power and can get repetitive after you've seen it a few times.

I'm sure the issue is that "updating" the story requires a lot of training, practice, and production costs. Once they nailed down this format, they are just milking it and people get sick of it. There is no "love" for a character, story line, or timeless element to it.

I think it's the only show at WDW that I could totally skip.

My suggestion is to close this experience and build a new theater for the DL Aladdin show. A perfect fit to Hollywood Studios and a way to liven up that area of the park. They could also add a cool Aladdin ride (Not a flying carpet concept).

What are your thoughts on LMA?

Bairstow

Saw it once. That was more than enough.
As @Chef Mickey said, there's no hook of a character or story anyone cares about; it's the most non-James-Bond generic Jerry Bruckheimer world imaginable.
The music is repetitive and annoying.
The cars don't move or sound like real cars, since they're basically just overgrown go-karts with streetbike engines, so "car guys" aren't really into the show.
There's no human element, little humor, and almost no variety to the show itself.
It takes a long time to do, is a pain to get to the theater, and is a long walk back to any other attractions.

I appreciate the skill required on the part of the drivers who perform the show, but yeah, it's boring to me and I'm surprised it still draws the crowds that it does.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Saw it once. That was more than enough.
As @Chef Mickey said, there's no hook of a character or story anyone cares about; it's the most non-James-Bond generic Jerry Bruckheimer world imaginable.
The music is repetitive and annoying.
The cars don't move or sound like real cars, since they're basically just overgrown go-karts with streetbike engines, so "car guys" aren't really into the show.
There's no human element, little humor, and almost no variety to the show itself.
It takes a long time to do, is a pain to get to the theater, and is a long walk back to any other attractions.

I appreciate the skill required on the part of the drivers who perform the show, but yeah, it's boring to me and I'm surprised it still draws the crowds that it does.
Great points, especially on how long it takes to see the attraction. I totally agree. It's all the way at the end of the park where there is little else. The experience takes a good 80+ minutes when you consider the show length (too long), being seated, and trying to file out afterward. It's just a big ordeal and that's the reason I skip it if I'm in a hurry. I'd just rather do other things and there aren't many attractions I say that about at WDW.

There is also way too much standing around to set up for the next "scene" and those gaps are just boring. Crowd isn't engaged and usually talking and doing their own thing. The video board is a joke that needs replacing after years of "burn in" has ruined the screen.

Overall, a big disappointment.

Matt_Black

I've only seen it once, and I liked it. I wanted to see it again my last visit, but between me running around seeing everything else and the limited showtimes during the day, I never got the chance. Oh, well. I still saw Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular AND got my picture taken with Indy. WOOT!

JIMINYCR

You could say its boring and repetitive about any of the shows once youve seen them a few times. Disney isnt going to make changes to the show just to appease those of us who have been there before and tire of the same old story. As much as I hate the wait, the seating, the long walk in and out, the same old routine, I'll still make my way to the stadium and sit through the show.... until they bring in something different and exciting.

Goofyernmost

You could say its boring and repetitive about any of the shows once youve seen them a few times. Disney isnt going to make changes to the show just to appease those of us who have been there before and tire of the same old story. As much as I hate the wait, the seating, the long walk in and out, the same old routine, I'll still make my way to the stadium and sit through the show.... until they bring in something different and exciting.
Exactly! It is amazing how so many of us lose sight of the fact that not everyone has seen it before. We call for change when millions of people have never even seen the original. Why? Because we are bored with it, it's stale, same old - same old. That is indeed because WE keep going back to something that we have already seen before.

I will grant that this particular show does have a limited "repeat" factor. Even talking about changing it would still involve the same stunts, perhaps in different order. It is still exciting to watch because it has a REAL element of danger involved. It's a live stunt show. Things can and have gone wrong, but, no one was hurt, thankfully.

I don't know how long it still has as far as life is concerned. I won't be upset if it gets replaced with something new, but, I know it is only old to me (and people like me) that have seen it more then once. I will agree with the story line part of it because to me Indiana Jones is still fun even if it is the same show that has been running since the park opened. It is easier to get immersed in it and identify with the characters, so we still like it. However, both LMA and Indiana Jones have exactly the same premise and that is how the movie people go about filming segments of different shows or movies.

rob0519

We saw it once and that was enough for everyone in the family. The long walk in, the amount of time it takes to seat everyone, the cars that don't sound like cars, the long exit process and then the walk back to the main part of the park do not warrent us seeing it again. That said, I don't expect WDW to change the show if it's still drawing an adequate amount of guests. There are probably millions of first time guests every year who have not seen the show. If you don't like the show, it's simple don't go. There are other things to do and just think how crowded the rest of the park when that large number of people is not at at show.

disneyfan6

It really only served that purpose for when Disney World got all these addictions from previous parks around the world. Honestly the "Magic" didn't really spark me. Like sitting on a hard medal bench, in the hot sun, under a huge Race style sun roof, didn't entice me to come back. But that final sequence sure sparked my senses. Love to see this and Indiana close, once this phase 1 comes into play.

tigger1968

I think it was a good concept, but it just didn't translate for me. As others have mentioned, there is no connection to develop between you and anyone in the show. It's hard to root for a guy in a helmet doing stunts in a glorified go kart. I found the show long and tedious. I wanted to really like it, and I appreciated the precision and coordination of the stunt work, but I just wasn't sold on the whole experience. We walked out thinking "ok, that was a one time show." I have not felt a need to go back, and we skip it every trip now. I certainly see that there is value to it for first time guests, but like I said, once was enough for us.

I would hope that that area gets redeveloped during the upcoming reworking of the park.

wdwfan4ver

It still draws the crowds for a couple reasons.

1.) Specials on WDW promote LMA for years dating to back to the Travel Channel and now Destination America when they talk about DHS during their special. These specials on DHS section only focus on Star Tours: The Adventure continues, Tower of Terror, Toy Story Midway Mania, Rock n roller Coaster, and LMA.

2.) The amount of attractions DHS has is one of the reasons LMA is popular.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Exactly! It is amazing how so many of us lose sight of the fact that not everyone has seen it before. We call for change when millions of people have never even seen the original. Why? Because we are bored with it, it's stale, same old - same old. That is indeed because WE keep going back to something that we have already seen before.

I will grant that this particular show does have a limited "repeat" factor. Even talking about changing it would still involve the same stunts, perhaps in different order. It is still exciting to watch because it has a REAL element of danger involved. It's a live stunt show. Things can and have gone wrong, but, no one was hurt, thankfully.

I don't know how long it still has as far as life is concerned. I won't be upset if it gets replaced with something new, but, I know it is only old to me (and people like me) that have seen it more then once. I will agree with the story line part of it because to me Indiana Jones is still fun even if it is the same show that has been running since the park opened. It is easier to get immersed in it and identify with the characters, so we still like it. However, both LMA and Indiana Jones have exactly the same premise and that is how the movie people go about filming segments of different shows or movies.
There will always be millions of people that have and haven't seen something. I think things should be updated based on how many years they've been in service and what interest remains.

The difference is that Lights Motors has no repeat value other than new visitors. I don't think there are as many "fans" that would come back just to see it multiple times. The classic shows like Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic!, and Little Mermaid will always draw because of fans. Also, you've got to look at what else COULD be there that would draw better crowds and coordinate with the overall theme of DHS.

The show has had a 10 year run and seems ready for something new. It's not just the content. I still think the show is "slow" in too many spots and not as "cool" as it should be for a car stunt show. The time commitment involved is also kind of prohibitive.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Well, for a park that's not even a "running" studio....There's no need for it..
To me, that's kind of a non-factor. Whether or not the park is a "running" studio does not impact the quality of content or drive what should or should not be there. Checking that box really wouldn't help Lights Motors Action be a better show. It needs to be better regardless of the studios operating as such or not.

Goofyernmost

There will always be millions of people that have and haven't seen something. I think things should be updated based on how many years they've been in service and what interest remains.

The difference is that Lights Motors has no repeat value other than new visitors. I don't think there are as many "fans" that would come back just to see it multiple times. The classic shows like Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic!, and Little Mermaid will always draw because of fans. Also, you've got to look at what else COULD be there that would draw better crowds and coordinate with the overall theme of DHS.

The show has had a 10 year run and seems ready for something new. It's not just the content. I still think the show is "slow" in too many spots and not as "cool" as it should be for a car stunt show. The time commitment involved is also kind of prohibitive.
With the current condition of DHS... what else does anyone have to do? Time isn't always the factor anyway. The original backstage tour was about 3 hours long and people went to it anyway. Again, there wasn't much else to do, but, no one complained about how long it took.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
With the current condition of DHS... what else does anyone have to do? Time isn't always the factor anyway. The original backstage tour was about 3 hours long and people went to it anyway. Again, there wasn't much else to do, but, no one complained about how long it took.
I think that's because the backstage tour was good. Lights Motors Action, for me, is no longer good and ends up eating up an hour and a half. I'd rather ride Tower of Terror 3 times and watch Beauty and the Beast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom