So these girls that went to HHN and got called names

mergatroid

Original Poster
I think if we look at it sensibly it's pretty obvious we've got a situation where an 'incident' has occurred that really isn't that bad in the big scheme of things. However distasteful some may find the comments made by the actress, there's context to it that does need to be taken into consideration when judging it. Firstly it's made perfectly clear that this event contains pretend violence and inappropriate things for children to see or hear, to claim otherwise is a fabrication of the facts. Whilst this doesn't give the actors freedom to say whatever they like, it clearly hints that words may be used that could be deemed offensive. It's pretty obvious to anyone 'mature enough' to attend this event that any comments made to guests are done as part of an act as opposed to being just some person's true feelings or somebodies desire to upset individuals. That's why the warnings are there, it's an event created for those mature enough to attend it and contains mature themes. The whole thing was part of an act with context to it, we're not talking going into a Burger King for a cheeseburger and have the person serving saying "You want fries with that you little ".

As for the words themselves, are we believing that these girls don't hear far worse at school, in the street or on television? Granted the remarks were directed towards them as opposed to being words said to nobody in particular, however are we really supposed to believe that anyone present hearing these remarks would genuinely judge these girls by them and believe they were really 'sluts' etc? Their complaint was that their friends and classmates heard this and then might believe these accusations to be real, seriously does anyone think that would happen? Anyone who does clearly isn't mature enough in life to be attending events designed for adults, which this clearly is.

So now an event enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people over time has been altered because two immature girls ignored warnings and now claim that people think bad things about them. Ironically rather than having a handful of people who originally witnessed this 'incident' possibly think they're wh###s etc, thousands upon thousands have now witnessed it through the medium of television, the internet and the papers. For girls worried about people hearing what was said they've done a fantastic job of making sure many, many more hear it and possibly 'judge them'. Some people in this world really do seem to have way too much time on their hands and no real concept of how trivial certain things are when you think about it and what is considered something really worth getting offended or upset by.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

As for the two girls, I was treated far worse at UNI. I was called a bilge rat at Popeye's! And over at Mummy this guy threatened to kill me!! :O

That useless shark lawyer is making a mockery of serious issues, of actual verbal harrassment of women and of double-standarded gender relations. Go after an actual case, instead of after an actor saying something on the stage. *bangs head against wall*

G00fyDad

Surely America is not the IS, and women, too, should enjoy freedom of dress without being subjected to verbal or physical abuse?

All I am saying, is that if you dress like that then you are actively looking to be called something derogatory. It's not like women dressing in these outfits are wearing normal skirts (even mini's) and loose tops. (Which are usually fine) They dress like this in these Halloween outfits for one purpose. A couple of my female friends go out dressed with jeans that are "painted" on and up the cracks with shirts so low cut and open that you can basically see their entire . Then when someone makes a comment they get offended. o_O A woman can dress to feel sexy and should not get harassed. (Actually NO woman should be harassed) However, If you dress like a decent person, you will get treated like a decent person. Dress like a prostitute... you get the picture.

joannecasey

All I am saying, is that if you dress like that then you are actively looking to be called something derogatory. It's not like women dressing in these outfits are wearing normal skirts (even mini's) and loose tops. (Which are usually fine) They dress like this in these Halloween outfits for one purpose. A couple of my female friends go out dressed with jeans that are "painted" on and up the cracks with shirts so low cut and open that you can basically see their entire . Then when someone makes a comment they get offended. o_O A woman can dress to feel sexy and should not get harassed. (Actually NO woman should be harassed) However, If you dress like a decent person, you will get treated like a decent person. Dress like a prostitute... you get the picture.

This isn't always the case however. I remember many times being dressed in loose jeans (could never stand tight ones .. denim up my a** just never appealed to me) and a sloppy sweater but still was the target of harassment from men. I completely see your point, however sometimes it's not what the women are wearing that is the issue ... but what lies within the individual that's doing the harassing.

G00fyDad

This isn't always the case however. I remember many times being dressed in loose jeans (could never stand tight ones .. denim up my a** just never appealed to me) and a sloppy sweater but still was the target of harassment from men. I completely see your point, however sometimes it's not what the women are wearing that is the issue ... but what lies within the individual that's doing the harassing.

I totally agree. And those "men" need better upbringing. But when the women are dressed in these "sexy" Halloween outfits then they are looking for those comments. For them to say otherwise is just a bold faced lie. However, in the case you mentioned men in general need to learn that they shouldn't act like pigs unless they want to be treated as such.

I can tell you right now as a grown woman, if I had been called any of those names, I would have contacted Uni myself to complain. The age of the girls is irrelevant. There is no OK context for that kind of language. It's misogyny pure and simple and it has to stop.

mergatroid

Original Poster
If they'd stop going dressed like this:
View attachment 71484
Then they might not get called a .

Now I'm not sure if these girls who were abused dressed like this picture or not, but if they did then they must have known that people would look at that in a certain way. There's nothing wrong with somebody dressing like that if they want and choose to, but if we're being honest we all know that dressing overtly 'sexy' in public is done for a reason and that is to attract attention. Again women should be allowed to dress how they choose to and they shouldn't be harassed by men for doing so, but that picture example isn't one where the ladies are dressing purely for comfort as I'm sure adding a proper fitting skirt to the outfit wouldn't have been too much more trouble.

My wife often wears stockings and garter belts like in that photo but she makes sure that she's dressed appropriately over her underwear so that other people don't see what she's got on underneath as she's aware it would possibly give the wrong impression. I've never known her put on her lingerie and declare "Oh it's too much hassle putting a dress on top of this, I'll just go out in my underwear today as I'm sure nobody will notice or think differently of me". There's a few reasons a lady may decide to wear underwear like that and there's nothing wrong with any of them. She may feel more comfortable, 'classy' or 'sexy' wearing it under her clothes or it maybe because she wants to treat her boyfriend or husband later on (or girlfriend, sorry I almost forgot some ladies have female partners). It maybe because she's going to see 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' or even going to a fancy dress party as a hooker. But whatever the reasons I think that 99.9% of ladies realise that going out in public dressed like that picture may, just may, send out the wrong signals.

So if you go out dressed in your underwear only then fair enough, I'm actually all for it. However let's not pretend that it's a scenario where you don't stand out amongst the crowd. let's not pretend that there aren't people who will get the wrong (or right) idea as to why you're doing it and let's not pretend that the only people this will attract are those that you're happy to attract. It's really just a bit of common sense put into sensible context.

However as I prattle on I'm aware that we may be going off subject here slightly though and I really don't think these two girls dressed quite like that picture shows. In fairness the actress probably did overstep the mark slightly with her comments, but again she was playing a character who's role is to make rather scathing remarks and portray a person who's not very nice who's addressing an audience she has little or no respect for. We have to look at it with that context in mind rather than make out that two 13 year old girls just went out and got abused by a Universal employee because she was having a bad day and now these girls lives are ruined forever. Again context is key here.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I am surprised by the number of..."these girls had it coming" comments. Would it have been ok for teen boys to be called phobic terms? Its one thing if you feel a lawsuit is overkill but the actor she be more creative then calling the girls sluts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom