The Disneyland Resort: A Walt Disney World Veteran's First Time - Opinions and Comparisons!

RMichael21

Original Poster
Hello everyone! My name is RMichael21 and I've been putting this thread off for some time now. So, I finally decided to do it. This is my Walt Disney World Veteran comparison of Disneyland. Let's get started!

Alright, a little background. I've been traveling to Walt Disney World since I was 4 years old and in pre-school. Anyway, so I've made a total of 5 trips to Walt Disney World. 4 were as a child with my family, while the most recent, in April of 2013, was with my older self :D but also with my family. Anyways, I'm rambling on... Let's cut to the chase.

On my birthday, back in June I was sitting on the couch in my parent's house with my entire family. (And no, not all of us were on the couch :D). They hand me a small orange and white striped box. I open it and behold! It's the Disneyland Resort logo! I was so surprised, which was nice. It's hard to surprise someone that much when they're my age. :p Well, I'll spare you the rest of the details but here's my pre-trip report:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ly-awesome-disneyland-pre-trip-report.885847/

Alright, so our trip was July 6th-13th, 2014. We were also celebrating my birthday! Now, I've really been rambling. Let's get started!

----

Ok, I know. People on these boards told me not to make comparisons because each resort is unique in it's own way. That's half true in my opinion. Walt Disney World and Disneyland are "unique in their own ways" but it's impossible not to make those comparisons. So, I'll be comparing them from a Walt Disney World Veteran's Disneyland first time view!

So, each post, I'll mention a park, land, attraction, show, etc. I'll share the pros and cons of each. Also, if the attraction has a WDW clone or "look-alike" then I'll compare it.

Also, the comparisons will be brief most of the time, so if your looking for a more detailed response, contact me in a PM or in this thread.

Now, I'm going to include a points system. For each attraction, show, land that is superior will receive 2 points. If I find that there is no comparison, both resorts receive 1 point. If the attraction/show/land are/is completely equal in both resorts, then each resort receives 1 point. At then end, I'll tally the points and see which resort comes out on top. Got it? Let's go!

Last edited:

RMichael21

Original Poster
The Disneyland Resort- (As a whole)

Overall I loved the Disneyland Resort. I honestly loved how it was in the middle of a city and was close to everything not Disney related. Also, adding on, for some reason I really love it when I can see different landmarks of the park from outside. This is pretty non-existent at WDW except for the park icons. On another point, I really enjoyed how everything was so close together. I could walk a minimum of 200 feet from one attraction and there would be another one waiting for me! Overall, I loved, loved, loved the Disneyland Resort and would really like to go back in the near future.

No points for this, because it's really not a comparison. ;)

RMichael21

Original Poster
Adventureland-

I really liked Disneyland's adventureland. I thought they put good use to the limited space in the certain land. However, I feel like the Disneyland's Adventureland was too cramped, so that's why I'm giving Walt Disney World the points.

Walt Disney World- 2
Disneyland- 0

George Lucas on a Bench

Major differences:

- Size: Disneyland's is relatively small, The Magic Kingdom's is larger
- The Magic Kingdom has Pirates of the Caribbean, which doesn't matter since Disneyland's is right next to Adventureland in New Orleans Square
- Disneyland has Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye and nothing comparable to it can be found at The Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney himself stood in Disneyland's Adventureland, watched Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, traversed the Jungle River Cruise's waterways and walked through the Treehouse.

Disneyland wins for me, despite the sea of people and strollers.

RMichael21

Original Poster
New Orleans Square-

I actually am not going to be giving a detailed description for this, because most of the land was closed/behind walls during the Club 33 refurb. However, from what I did see, it looked spectacular. I find that this land is somewhat similar to Liberty Square with each land having 2 major attractions. But, New Orleans Square just seems more detailed (or was), so I'm giving it the points over Liberty Square.

Walt Disney World- 2
Disneyland- 2

Last edited:

RMichael21

Original Poster
Critter Country-

I'm just going to say this, I personally loved Critter Country. It was somewhat quiet compared to the other lands of the park and felt separate all together from everything else. I will also point out that I feel Splash Mountain fits better in Critter Country and not in Frontierland like at Walt Disney World. However, because I feel there is no other land similar at Walt Disney World, I'm giving each resort 1 point.

Walt Disney World- 3
Disneyland- 3

RMichael21

Original Poster
Frontierland-

Well, I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the Disneyland Frontierland. Coming from Walt Disney World's it seemed very small. The only plusses in my opinion are Big Thunder Mountain and Big Thunder Ranch. Other then that, I prefer Walt Disney World's because of it's more spread out layout and how there 3 attractions at Walt Disney World instead of 1.

Walt Disney World- 5
Disneyland- 3

RMichael21

Original Poster
Main Street U.S.A.-

I really loved Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A. It really hit home on the small-town main street theme, with the shorter street, smaller buildings and everything being smaller in general. I'm also going to give plusses for making use of almost all of the space/facades unlike Walt Disney World. Finally, having Walt's apartment gives it an automatic win.

Walt Disney World- 5
Disneyland- 5

RMichael21

Original Poster
Fantasyland-

Wow, just wow. What a difference between Walt Disney World and Disneyland. I find that in general, the theming is better at Disneyland and that there are many, many more attractions. Plus, whatever clones are there, the clones at Disneyland are always better. It's a Small World, Peter Pan's Flight, etc. I loved Fantasyland a lot and I can say that I wish I had spent more time there.

Walt Disney World- 5
Disneyland- 7

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
New Orleans Square-

I actually am not going to be giving a detailed description for this, because most of the land was closed/behind walls during the Club 33 refurb. However, from what I did see, it looked spectacular. I find that this land is somewhat similar to Liberty Square with each land having a major attraction. But, New Orleans Square just seems more detailed (or was), so I'm giving it the points over Liberty Square.

Walt Disney World- 2
Disneyland- 2
NOS has 2 major attractions POTC and Haunted Mansion.

TP2000

Frontierland-

Well, I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the Disneyland Frontierland. Coming from Walt Disney World's it seemed very small. The only plusses in my opinion are Big Thunder Mountain and Big Thunder Ranch. Other then that, I prefer Walt Disney World's because of it's more spread out layout and how there 3 attractions at Walt Disney World instead of 1.

Walt Disney World- 5
Disneyland- 3

I'm really enjoying your comments here, and especially your unique way of rating each land. Thanks for sharing!

That said, I'm confused on your Frontierland and Critter Country comments. You seem to have missed the fact that there are two additional rides on Disneyland's Rivers of America; Sailing Ship Columbia and Davy Crockett Canoes. Plus Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island got a major upgrade seven years ago with Pirate's Lair which brought a lot of new toys and interactives and animatronic plusses to the old Island.

The differences between the Rivers of America are most glaring this time of year, when both riverboats are in refurbishment at both parks. Disneyland's Mark Twain is closed for four months for major cosmetic care, and WDW's Liberty Belle is closed for four days for mandatory boiler inspection, which also ironically sums up the vast differences in refurbishments and maintenance on both coasts.

But at Disneyland, you still have the Sailing Ship Columbia and Davy Crockett Canoes travelling around the Rivers of America and keeping that massive chunk of the park open and operating for thousands of paying customers per day.
al011508a.jpg

At WDW, with the Liberty Belle closed for just four days, all you've got is a quiet flood control channel. :D
54869969.DSC01194R1kff.jpg

I would definitely give Disneyland's Frontierland the win on that one, especially considering that the Rivers of America makes up over 20% of the available acreage in both parks.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom