I selected a blue MagicBand and at check-in I was given a grey one, how could that have happened?

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
This past August was my second trip to WDW since all the resorts started using the MagicBands. Since I'm from Canada I already knew that my MagicBands would be at the Boardwalk Inn when I checked-in, because they can't be mailed to my house. The first time I used the MagicBands in December 2013 all the colours I put down for myself and my family were inside the box, however the second time there was a mistake. I had requested a blue one for myself on the My Disney Experience site and inside the box where my name was I saw a grey one. Why that happened I don't know because prior to leaving I checked the website everyday and it showed the colours I specifically selected. When I mentioned this to one of their Club Level Cast Members he called a manager and around 5-10 minutes later he came with a blue one.

We will be going back to WDW this December and once again selected the specific colours for each of us and like before I am checking the My Disney Experience site everyday and it shows the correct colours I have selected. So what are the odds that myself or someone else gets the wrong colour or was that just a one time fluke that most likely won't happen again?

Tom

Beta Return
The system is still not in perfect working order, so it was likely just a miscommunication between the website and the facility that prints them. As long as you have them customized at least 10 days out, you've done everything you can do.

Rob562

Also, in case you weren't aware, all Bands associated with your MDE profile can be used interchangeably. So feel free to bring along the old ones too and use them during your trip.

-Rob

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
Also, in case you weren't aware, all Bands associated with your MDE profile can be used interchangeably. So feel free to bring along the old ones too and use them during your trip.

-Rob
I already knew that. However I feel like it will be a hassle to bring our Bands from previous trips because of the fact we will still be getting new ones. So it's one less thing we need to pack.

asialeigh

I already knew that. However I feel like it will be a hassle to bring our Bands from previous trips because of the fact we will still be getting new ones. So it's one less thing we need to pack.

Or you could not customize the new set and when they go to give them at check in tell them you want to use your old ones. They will verify that the old ones are on your current room reservation and deactive and recycle the new ones. Voila!

Tom

Beta Return
Interesting. Is there a practical purpose to bringing old ones? If you lose one you don't have to buy another? Just curious.

Yes, it's practical to bring ones you know work already. Every MB of yours, as long as its tied to your MDE account, will work as your ticket and room key on any future trips. So, if you don't get a new one, or it fails, you can always use a previous one.

dreamfinder

Yes, it's practical to bring ones you know work already. Every MB of yours, as long as its tied to your MDE account, will work as your ticket and room key on any future trips. So, if you don't get a new one, or it fails, you can always use a previous one.

The one downside to this will start to pop up in a year or two. I do believe that the long range functionality in the bands has a finite life span, while the short range works indefinitely. So old bands will work for ticketing and rooms, but things like auto adding ride pictures to MemoryMaker will stop working at some point.

dadddio

Presumably, they will have a gizmo at Guest Relations that can tell whether the powered transmitter is still transmitting. I'm thinking of something simple like (but different than) the garage door remote checkers that they have at auto parts stores.

Mouse_Trap

I do wonder when they are going to clock on to the huge amount of waste the Magicbands produce. Not just the band but all the packaging too. Must be costing them a fortune to produce and ship.

It really does make a mockery of the Disney environmental statement you see in the parks and on the park maps/website etc.

asialeigh

I do wonder when they are going to clock on to the huge amount of waste the Magicbands produce. Not just the band but all the packaging too. Must be costing them a fortune to produce and ship.

It really does make a mockery of the Disney environmental statement you see in the parks and on the park maps/website etc.

Like I said earlier if guests do not want multiple sets of MagicBands they can tell the front desk cast member so and then the MagicBands are deactivated and they are recycled as well as with the boxes.

Mouse_Trap

Like I said earlier if guests do not want multiple sets of MagicBands they can tell the front desk cast member so and then the MagicBands are deactivated and they are recycled as well as with the boxes.

Sure, you can do that. But how many people actually do? What about all the people who get sent them automatically?

Surely MDE should know if people have already been issued with them, and check before issuing yet another set.

asialeigh

I work at front desk and do it all the time daily. I suppose there could be an option to opt out of getting a magic band but not everyone brings their old ones nor realizes they can use multiple sets so to be safe they haven't given that option yet.

dreamfinder

Sure, you can do that. But how many people actually do? What about all the people who get sent them automatically?

Surely MDE should know if people have already been issued with them, and check before issuing yet another set.

It is important to remember how many people don't make multiple trips to Disney, or only go every few years. On our little part of the internet here at WDWMagic, member number 101,045 registered today. Assuming we are all active (not likely), no one was banned (definitely not true) and no spammer accounts (there are a handful in there) that's what, 3 days of attendance at MK at most? Factor in the other large WDW forum sites, and removing people registered at multiple boards, I'd say maybe 10 days worth of MK attendance. But a trip every few years or so is much more likely to be the repeat visitor average. Now as I already mentioned, the bands will most likely not be fully functioning after a few years. So why would Disney want to take the chance? Little Suzy didn't get her picture tagged to the account because the band wasn't 100% functional. Factor in how many people most likely are just tossing the bands after their trips, never mind anyone losing them, it's to their benefit to simply ship out new ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom