Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have mixed feelings about helping grown children financially - once they have completed their education. I have no problem supporting them 100% during college as long as they keep their grades up - my children got/get academic scholarships that "earned" more than any part-time job. My daughter still worked a bit, as she has always been pretty independent.

I paid for her car, health insurance, and cell phone after she graduated. I also co-signed for her first apartment. She gradually took over the bills, and once she got a job with benefits, she was close to 100% independent - I still paid for her airfare home at Christmas up until a couple of years ago.

I didn't want her to risk getting into a financial hole due to medical expenses.

And that is close to my logic. It was a leap for my son to move to Florida after graduating college and I was willing to help for a while he pulled it together. My DD a 2014 Grad from College is still here. I pay car insurance as the car has always been technically mine, but bought for her. She has a job not a career but pretty much pulls off all her expenses and saves for her future independent life. She had scholarships in College but she and my DS had jobs at their Universities and both worked since they were 15, neither of them ever were kids to be looking for a handout.

StarWarsGirl

My parents decided that they will support me through college. I offered to get a job in high school, but they told me no, I could focus on school. So I did school and after school activities. I got a big scholarship to college and came in with 15 credits since my time was spent studying for AP classes. For my first year they told me not to worry about getting a job. Now they expect me to have a job for at least the school year. They are also planning to help me with start up costs. My mom already has planned that I'll take a set of dishes with me and possibly some furniture. I assume that we'll talk about other costs when we come to it. It seems fair. My grandfather paid my dad's rent for the first few months after he was out of law school. He wanted him out of the house, but my dad didn't have a job. My mom got married and moved out and never received any help from her parents. So I can see both sides to it. I just know that in this day and age with how much everything costs, I'm not going to be able to move out of the house with zero help. Thankfully I have parents who will be willing and able to help.

Gabe1

I wasn't going to chime in, but I get what @Soarin' Over Pgh is saying. For some of us once on our own, it wasn't the fact of giving money to help be independant, it was there wasn't extra money for a handout. Personally, I grew up with a single dad raising four daughters and he nearly killed himself trying to keep a roof over our head. (Literally, he had a heart attack at work and had to retire.) We were all out on our own by 18, my sisters all married military men and I worked full time and went to school full time.

I don't think what Soarin said was meant to be a slam to anybody, it's just to show an example of how different we all were raised or have raised/are raising our kids. Some people had a pampered childhood, some people didn't, some have family to fall back on, some of us don't, some people made it on their own, some need help. The only thing that matters is we all wake up still breathing the next day and live our lives to the best of our abilities.

I'm with you, I don't believe she intended her post as a slam. I for one clarified because I was the one that was quoted but it lost its context when the other 2 quotes by two other members was omitted. Sometimes the words we choose are not always the best choices. Up this way the word Handout is a harsh word, meant to demean those in need. I've heard it repeatedly used to describe those on unemployment, food assistance, aid for people with dependent children in need, those who have government housing, the word is not part of my vernacular for that reason.

As you know this is from a conversation that has evolved over the past week where we discussed how hard hit many of us were this last decade, educating our children struggles, spouses illnesses, lost jobs etc and the isolated quote was taken out of context of the weeks discussion of the hard times a good chunk of us endured over the years. We all likely have our own horror stories to tell...Both of my parents are first generation Americans. My Gran worked as a seamstress in a sweat shop and her "services" to her employer were not limited sewing to keep her job to support her children. Chilling. My Grandfather, the man who sired 12 children was hit by a beam in a steel factory and left my Grandmother with 8 of her 12 children scrambling to hold it together after his death. My folks didn't only support my sister and I they had their extended families to assist from the time they were married. Very few of us are exempt from struggles, the struggles are just different and I don't wish it on anyone.

Gabe1

My parents decided that they will support me through college. I offered to get a job in high school, but they told me no, I could focus on school. So I did school and after school activities. I got a big scholarship to college and came in with 15 credits since my time was spent studying for AP classes. For my first year they told me not to worry about getting a job. Now they expect me to have a job for at least the school year. They are also planning to help me with start up costs. My mom already has planned that I'll take a set of dishes with me and possibly some furniture. I assume that we'll talk about other costs when we come to it. It seems fair. My grandfather paid my dad's rent for the first few months after he was out of law school. He wanted him out of the house, but my dad didn't have a job. My mom got married and moved out and never received any help from her parents. So I can see both sides to it. I just know that in this day and age with how much everything costs, I'm not going to be able to move out of the house with zero help. Thankfully I have parents who will be willing and able to help.

And that is only a fraction of your story. Every family has its own struggles. While some 'could' look at your life and consider your life without struggles but we know better. You are a modest young woman that way. Just how you chip in with the care of your brother is an example of what most of us will do for our family. You give you parents alone time on vacation, you teach your brother skills like how to do laundry along with teaching him boundaries, so much of your life has revolved around your family. You do this because it is family not because you want something.

Gabe1

My kind of Halloween costume.

By5EbViIYAAla16.jpg

Gabe1

Yikes. For $89 I'd have to get more than a cupcake and a pin. $89 is almost admission to the park.

For the first time in forever, guests can experience “Frozen” fun during the holiday season at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, thanks to the new Frozen Holiday Premium Package.

Offered November 7 – 19, November 21 – December 9 and December 11 – January 4, 2015, this package includes reserved seating for a performance of “For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration” at the Premiere Theatre, and reserved Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights viewing and Frozen-themed dessert party (which will feature mini Anna cupcakes and mini Elsa cupcake, among other delicious treats) in the evening, and a holiday themed lithograph and “Frozen” pin.

The package costs $89 per adult and $59 per child (ages 3 – 9), plus tax (gratuity is included). Valid theme park admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios is required and is not included in this package price.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@Soarin' Over Pgh , I was very happy to read that your art open house was a success! That's great that you sold so many pieces of your artwork. But, I'm even more ecstatic to learn that Daisy hunted down a cookie behind the sofa, and chowed down! (I just relayed this news bulletin to my dog, Jack; and he rolled over on his back with his four legs up in the air—this means that he gave Daisy the coveted, Four Paws Up Approval Rating!!) :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So, today at work, we were discussing very important trivia facts, and we'd all try to outdo each other. Here's some of the better ones:

Crocodiles cannot stick out their tongue.
A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
Maine is the only state that has a one-syllable name.
Tigers have both striped fur and striped skin.
Stewardesses is the longest word that's typed with the left hand only.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom