West Side Parking Garage construction

CDavid

I guess I just don't need or care if a parking garaged is themed. As long as I can park my car, I'm good. I expect much more out of a theme park ride than the equivalent of just being able to park a car. Much more. And honestly, it's the only part that matters.

Not when the whole of the park experience extends into the resort beyond the parks, as it does at Walt Disney World. The park experience actually starts well before you enter the gates, and there are reasons (other than land suitability) why the Magic Kingdom parking lot is located across the Seven Seas Lagoon from the park; It helps set the stage for the themed experience, building anticipation each step of the journey. Even Animal Kingdom at least pays lip service to such 'setting the stage', with the barren parking lot standing in sharp contrast to the lush forests past the park entrance (with the "prison compound" bus entrance being far uglier). You don't get a similar feeling at Epcot or (particularly) the Studios.

Again, Walt Disney World is a resort. Appearance and setting matters property wide at least to some extent. We're not talking about providing parking for a factory or stadium or something where a utilitarian appearance is acceptable. While a parking lot/garage is nothing special (I suppose it potentially could be, though an exceedingly low priority) you wouldn't want a hulking, completely bare or minimally themed garage immediately outside the parks. It's too jarring a transition (not that looking out over a sea of cars is exactly a compelling experience either).

Just food for thought, none of the parking lots at any of the parks are themed. In fact, they're much uglier and plain than these garages.

While this obviously begs the question of just how to effectively theme a parking lot (a parking garage perhaps being easier), again, at least some thought has been given to the setting and impression of the Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom lots. Rather than themed, perhaps, I would think that parking facilities would be something to be hidden or somewhat out of plain sight; The Disney Springs garages would have been much less obtrusive if built across Buena Vista Drive.

Next Big Thing

@CDavid - I want to reply to one specific point... you said "The park experience actually starts well before you enter the gates". Ok, I agree with that. And at MK, it's one of my least favorite parts of the experience. But this isn't about the parks. They are building a parking garage for a shopping mall.

You said it's all about the whole experience. Well the whole experience for me when going to Disney Springs starts when coming off the highway. If I can drive straight off of I-4, into the garage and find a spot easily, then Disney has successfully done their job. The experience for me is already better than it was when I had to get off the highway, wait at the light to turn onto hotel boulevard, and then search around for 10 minutes to find a spot.

Sometimes it's not the theming that makes the difference, it's about guest experience, which is exactly what this garage is aimed at fixing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I assume everything is being built to withstand hurricane's, whereas a facade like @flynnibus is talking about would fall apart before the storm even gets serious.

Survey says??? BZZZZZZZZZZZT

Those buildings are actually in a direct hurricane area... Ocean Block on a barrier island on the Atlantic Ocean. Unlike Orlando sitting 60+ miles from the coast.

ocean.jpg

mm121

While this obviously begs the question of just how to effectively theme a parking lot (a parking garage perhaps being easier), again, at least some thought has been given to the setting and impression of the Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom lots. Rather than themed, perhaps, I would think that parking facilities would be something to be hidden or somewhat out of plain sight; The Disney Springs garages would have been much less obtrusive if built across Buena Vista Drive.

If they did that, then people would complain about the walk, Disney Springs is going to be alot of walking as is, and if they put the garages accross the street what would they do wit the land on the DS side? if they left it as parking, then people would spend time circling looking for close parking. By doing only the garages then they take away this choice, as such people are more likely to just park in the first spot available rather than circling

roj2323

If a parking garage were to go at any of the parks though, I could easily see them building one at DHS down the line.
I could totally see this. Cast parking is kind of a nightmare especially during peak times when cast members are forced to park at Epcot. Building even just a 2 deck garage (3 parking levels including the ground) in the Television Lot would add 3600 parking spaces which is plenty to alleviate parking congestion during peak times while also eliminating the need for forced off site parking for cast. The reason I say the 2 deck garage is it keeps the height low enough to not need large view blocks from inside the park or obnoxious view blocks on the garage to keep guests from looking back stage. An additional selling point to the Television lot is it's close to the park entrance and you don't need to cross the tram lane or bus traffic to enter the park.

With all this said: This would be million upon millions (30-50mill i'm guessing) which Disney would not spend unless it absolutely had to.

Next Big Thing

I could totally see this. Cast parking is kind of a nightmare especially during peak times when cast members are forced to park at Epcot. Building even just a 2 deck garage (3 parking levels including the ground) in the Television Lot would add 3600 parking spaces which is plenty to alleviate parking congestion during peak times while also eliminating the need for forced off site parking for cast. The reason I say the 2 deck garage is it keeps the height low enough to not need large view blocks from inside the park or obnoxious view blocks on the garage to keep guests from looking back stage. An additional selling point to the Television lot is it's close to the park entrance and you don't need to cross the tram lane or bus traffic to enter the park.

With all this said: This would be million upon millions (30-50mill i'm guessing) which Disney would not spend unless it absolutely had to.
Jumping off your point about CMs... why not just build the parking deck for CMs only, which would open up a lot of space in the parking lot for guests? They could build it off to the side and restrict access to it so the public couldn't/wouldn't try to get in. That way the garage is in constant use and the parking lot has an entire section freed up for guests.

More importantly though, DHS needs to fix the congestion that occurs when everyone leaves the park (ex. after fireworks, fantasmic, busy season, etc). It can take 30 min+ to get out of that lot at times.

mm121

Jumping off your point about CMs... why not just build the parking deck for CMs only, which would open up a lot of space in the parking lot for guests? They could build it off to the side and restrict access to it so the public couldn't/wouldn't try to get in. That way the garage is in constant use and the parking lot has an entire section freed up for guests.

More importantly though, DHS needs to fix the congestion that occurs when everyone leaves the park (ex. after fireworks, fantasmic, busy season, etc). It can take 30 min+ to get out of that lot at times.
a garage for the cm's would be cheaper and easier to build probably, as it could be more a typical style garage, rather than require direct ramps to each level, as the volume of traffic in and out would be more constant, but not such big mass rushes.

do they ever have guards at that traffic light? or just let it go thru its normal cycles during exit time?

if they really wanted to, maybe they could figure out a way to make a direct exit to either world drive north or oceola as an alternate exit

Rob562

a garage for the cm's would be cheaper and easier to build probably, as it could be more a typical style garage, rather than require direct ramps to each level, as the volume of traffic in and out would be more constant, but not such big mass rushes.

They could build a new CM garage and Cast entrance/costuming complex on the land occupied by the workshops and parking lots are that the tram tour went through. (Just south of the Earful Tower, between the Soundstages and World Drive) All Cast would enter the property from Buena Vista Drive and follow Cypress Drive down to the new garage.

This would then allow for plenty of room to raze the current Cast entrance complex, parade building and expand into the parking lot through where Backlot Express is now, leaving the Indiana Jones theater intact.

This would also take up the harder-to-use-as-Guest-areas little spit of land north of the larger Tour/LMA section at the southern tip of the park.

-Rob

jenjen9ny

I am going to Orlando the second week in November, any chance the parking situation will be better at Downtown Disney? I have read through this thread and the pictures seem like the garage is coming together but I have no clue when the estimated time for completion is. I tried looking around but couldn't find anything; if anyone has that information I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Edit:
---I just saw in Da Mouse that there is an completion date for early 2015, can someone confirm that?

Last edited:

mm121

I am going to Orlando the second week in November, any chance the parking situation will be better at Downtown Disney? I have read through this thread and the pictures seem like the garage is coming together but I have no clue when the estimated time for completion is. I tried looking around but couldn't find anything; if anyone has that information I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Edit:
---I just saw in Da Mouse that there is an completion date for early 2015, can someone confirm that?

theres been talk of getting part of the new parking open for the holiday season, announcing early 2015 could just be them erorring on the side of caution, or the date of the official opening.

I haven't seen good pics lately too see how the entrance/exit ramps are coming along, and theres alot more to it we are finding out than just the basic structure, with the elevators/escalator/ elevated walkways etc

roj2323

theres been talk of getting part of the new parking open for the holiday season, announcing early 2015 could just be them erorring on the side of caution, or the date of the official opening.

I haven't seen good pics lately too see how the entrance/exit ramps are coming along, and theres alot more to it we are finding out than just the basic structure, with the elevators/escalator/ elevated walkways etc

The rate they are going they should be able to open at least the bottom level soon. I do however agree that the ramps are a concern. That said they now have the pilings in place for the bridge so they can start building up the walls that make up the ramps fairly soon. I don't think it will be open for november but February is highly probable.

jt04

still trying to figure out those ramps, that ramp up at the top seems weird,

the bottom one is proably for going down, while the middle one is for going up

the top one just seems odd, seems like it would of been better to extend the bottom two up higher to directly reach more levels.

Looks like they will be adding another ramp. Or perhaps a monorail beam? o_O

danlb_2000

Premium Member
still trying to figure out those ramps, that ramp up at the top seems weird,

the bottom one is proably for going down, while the middle one is for going up

the top one just seems odd, seems like it would of been better to extend the bottom two up higher to directly reach more levels.

I'm with you on this, can't quite figure out how that traffic patterns in and out of the garage are going to work. An aerial view would really help with this.

DisneyCane

I'm with you on this, can't quite figure out how that traffic patterns in and out of the garage are going to work. An aerial view would really help with this.

Direct ramp to each level with sign telling you if there are spaces there? One "up" and one "down" lane on each ramp?

You don't need any fancy flow because cars are constantly in and out. It's not like one of the parks with a huge volume going in between 8:30 and 10:00 and then out at closing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom