The downfall of Hollywood studios

Winter

Well, with great movie ride and backlot tour out......... thisplace is screwed. With them out, the only rides i like there are Star Toirs and Toy Story Mania. Ouch.

yaksplat

Last year when I was at HS, I was telling my wife about the backlot tour and how great it was. Unfortunately my memory of it was from opening week in 89.

Other than seeing the props, there was really nothing to the tour...

BigRedDad

DHS has a lot to offer, but the repeatability drops drastically the more you go. I love the street performers which made it a lot of fun. RnR, ToT, TSMM, Star Tours are all fun too. However, that is a bulk of the rides and the lines get to be crazy. I could care less about American Midol (not a spelling error). I thought the show on TV was horrible and putting it there is horrible as well. WDW really needs to rethink this park. They need to expand the Star Wars area at least by 2x with 2-3 more attractions. They need to take all of that unused space and Backlot Tour area for a Marvel area with 2-3 E-Rides, a show, and more. They definitely need a good 5-6 more E-rides in total and enough shows, M&G's, and street performances to really make this place come alive again.

MagicHappens1971

DHS has a lot to offer, but the repeatability drops drastically the more you go. I love the street performers which made it a lot of fun. RnR, ToT, TSMM, Star Tours are all fun too. However, that is a bulk of the rides and the lines get to be crazy. I could care less about American Midol (not a spelling error). I thought the show on TV was horrible and putting it there is horrible as well. WDW really needs to rethink this park. They need to expand the Star Wars area at least by 2x with 2-3 more attractions. They need to take all of that unused space and Backlot Tour area for a Marvel area with 2-3 E-Rides, a show, and more. They definitely need a good 5-6 more E-rides in total and enough shows, M&G's, and street performances to really make this place come alive again.
They can't add Marvel attractions, although that would be cool.

MagicHappens1971

Basically, they could retheme the park based on the intellectual properties they own:

Hollywood Blvd - rennovate the main street but keep that classic studios feel.
Hollywood Studios Thrills - Just a new name for the area surrounding Rockin Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror replacing sunset blvd
Pixar Place - get an expansion! This could be big! Just about any of those movies could be made into something fun over here.
Star Wars Land - we KIND OF know this is coming. Just a matter as to when. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I think a cool themed Moss Eisley Restaurant and Cantina would be amazing with mexican-inspired quisine - something fun for adults plus it has food that is not currently found in HWS.

These next lands are where things get tricky:
ABC Backlot - Remove commissionary lane and replace it with this. Turn the studio backlot into an ABC backlot tour showing realistic action sequences. I know there is a no Marvel rule. But perhaps they could tie in their Shield TV show here because it would be based directly off the show.
Walt Disney Lot - Classic HWS shows and attractions. I enjoy One Man's dream and perhaps a Nostalgic land of what this park once was could solve the problem of keeping up with the new while maintaining classic Disney movies and annimation.
Disney Channel Lot - can replace some of the old stuff like American Idol for a new interactive experience for kids. Perhaps including Disney XD would also solve a problem in a lack of thrilling content?

There is just no organization. It shows in the street names. Unniversal has slowly done away with this themselves as they have Springfield and Diagon Alley.

Side note:
It may not fit the "Studio vibe", but I've always wanted a water ride at DHS because it always gets hotter than the other ones to me. My guess being it’s cramped with a lot of people and many buildings. One way to incorporate one could be a new log flume ride - similar to Dudley Doorights at Islands of Adventure. I picture one maybe using a bug's life, the incredibles, brave, or Finding DORI???

I love the idea of an ABC Backlot, that's defeniently something they should give a shot at.

DisneyDaver

Basically, they could retheme the park based on the intellectual properties they own:

Hollywood Blvd - rennovate the main street but keep that classic studios feel.
Hollywood Studios Thrills - Just a new name for the area surrounding Rockin Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror replacing sunset blvd
Pixar Place - get an expansion! This could be big! Just about any of those movies could be made into something fun over here.
Star Wars Land - we KIND OF know this is coming. Just a matter as to when. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I think a cool themed Moss Eisley Restaurant and Cantina would be amazing with mexican-inspired quisine - something fun for adults plus it has food that is not currently found in HWS.

These next lands are where things get tricky:
ABC Backlot - Remove commissionary lane and replace it with this. Turn the studio backlot into an ABC backlot tour showing realistic action sequences. I know there is a no Marvel rule. But perhaps they could tie in their Shield TV show here because it would be based directly off the show.
Walt Disney Lot - Classic HWS shows and attractions. I enjoy One Man's dream and perhaps a Nostalgic land of what this park once was could solve the problem of keeping up with the new while maintaining classic Disney movies and annimation.
Disney Channel Lot - can replace some of the old stuff like American Idol for a new interactive experience for kids. Perhaps including Disney XD would also solve a problem in a lack of thrilling content?

There is just no organization. It shows in the street names. Unniversal has slowly done away with this themselves as they have Springfield and Diagon Alley.

Side note:
It may not fit the "Studio vibe", but I've always wanted a water ride at DHS because it always gets hotter than the other ones to me. My guess being it’s cramped with a lot of people and many buildings. One way to incorporate one could be a new log flume ride - similar to Dudley Doorights at Islands of Adventure. I picture one maybe using a bug's life, the incredibles, brave, or Finding DORI???

Great ideas. Unfortunately, the budget would get in the way. Until the crowd levels decrease at WDW, I don't think WDW will make these investments. Not good for us WDW die-hards, but I suppose it's the reality of the business.

Beholder

They could add Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6. :D

Guardians, I believe, fall under the "family" of the Avengers and therefore can't be used. Big Hero 6, that's possible I guess. Or, how about the Incredibles? It's the end around any restrictions WDW has when it comes to putting super heroes in the parks. They do use the FF template.

Matt_Black

Guardians, I believe, fall under the "family" of the Avengers and therefore can't be used. Big Hero 6, that's possible I guess. Or, how about the Incredibles? It's the end around any restrictions WDW has when it comes to putting super heroes in the parks. They do use the FF template.

Star-Lord and Gamorra already met guests at the Villains Unleashed event, and Hiro & Baymax have been confirmed to be meeting starting in November. So, they're cleared for at least SOME usage.

Beholder

Star-Lord and Gamorra already met guests at the Villains Unleashed event, and Hiro & Baymax have been confirmed to be meeting starting in November. So, they're cleared for at least SOME usage.

I wonder if the Guardian characters were an over site by UNI or they just don't care? If those characters are allowed to show up inside of in-park functions, then I wonder who else could push the Marvel/UNI legal envelope? Warlock? Ghost Rider? In recent comics, Thor is a female now? I know these aren't going to happen, but if I were determined to place characters in park or at least build a franchise around a character, then I'd be scouring the Marvel catalog looking for the next "Guardians" or "Wolverine" who I could use. But that's just me.

FettFan

Not so. The Marvel space characters are their own family, and as such it's perfectly cool for Disney to use them in the Florida parks.

Which is why...
Villains-Unleashed_Full_21701.jpg

Quill and Gamora were both onhand at Villains Unleashed a few weeks back.

FettFan

I wonder if the Guardian characters were an over site by UNI or they just don't care? If those characters are allowed to show up inside of in-park functions, then I wonder who else could push the Marvel/UNI legal envelope? Warlock? Ghost Rider? In recent comics, Thor is a female now? I know these aren't going to happen, but if I were determined to place characters in park or at least build a franchise around a character, then I'd be scouring the Marvel catalog looking for the next "Guardians" or "Wolverine" who I could use. But that's just me.

Disney can only use characters whose families have not been featured at Universal.

While the Guardians have done crossovers with the Avengers (Iron Man is/was a Guardian briefly), they are not part of the Avengers family. The Marvel Space characters are their own family and they freely weave in and out of the comics....so one minute you can have them next to the Avengers....
guardians5_rocketandtony.jpg

the next minute, they are discovering Venom's home planet.
4032877-guardians-of-the-galaxy-21-cover.jpg

Other characters have done this....Wolverine is unquestionably in the X-Men family, yet he's been a member of the Avengers, and even showed up fighting Nazis alongside Cap.
wolverine+origins+%252317.jpg

Peter Parker, the proud patriarch of the Spider-Fam, has been an Avenger...and he's also crossed over into the Fantastic Four by battling Dr. Doom on occasion.
spiderman-vs-drdoom-spent.jpg

Beholder

Disney can only use characters whose families have not been featured at Universal.

While the Guardians have done crossovers with the Avengers (Iron Man is/was a Guardian briefly), they are not part of the Avengers family. The Marvel Space characters are their own family and they freely weave in and out of the comics....so one minute you can have them next to the Avengers....
guardians5_rocketandtony.jpg

the next minute, they are discovering Venom's home planet.
4032877-guardians-of-the-galaxy-21-cover.jpg

Other characters have done this....Wolverine is unquestionably in the X-Men family, yet he's been a member of the Avengers, and even showed up fighting Nazis alongside Cap.
wolverine+origins+%252317.jpg

Peter Parker, the proud patriarch of the Spider-Fam, has been an Avenger...and he's also crossed over into the Fantastic Four by battling Dr. Doom on occasion.
spiderman-vs-drdoom-spent.jpg

Great points with the Guardians, I just wasn't sure what is considered part of a "family" as it specifically relates to the UNI contract. Alpha Flight is closely tied to the origin/early years of Wolverine, so would they be considered part of the X-Men extended family or like the Guardians, separate? Of course, I'm not advocating Alpha Flight show up at the Canadian pavilion. :)

FettFan

Great points with the Guardians, I just wasn't sure what is considered part of a "family" as it specifically relates to the UNI contract. Alpha Flight is closely tied to the origin/early years of Wolverine, so would they be considered part of the X-Men extended family or like the Guardians, separate? Of course, I'm not advocating Alpha Flight show up at the Canadian pavilion. :)

Yep, Alpha Flight is part of the X-Men family because they got started in X-Men books.

The Avengers were standalone books (Cap, Iron Man, Hulk) that were merged into a team.

The Guardians were....their own completely separate book that spawned partly due to the popularity of 1960s science fiction.
Here's the original GotG as they appeared in 1969. Only one of them appears in the movie...you can probably guess which one. :p
GOTG-1969-18.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom