The downfall of Hollywood studios

Uncle MKT

Original Poster
Years go by and every time I visit Hollywood studios it's worse and worse they could do so much with this and still leave what charm it used to have. I miss the calvacade parades, the street acts, backlot tour (not this current junk) we went early to this park. And first all it was nothing but Frozen, I get it, it popular but it's way over kill. None of the other shows start early. Had to wait until almost 2 for the lights action stunt show. Had to wait until 11:45 until Indiana Jones, 11:30 for beauty and the best not sure why these are so close in time together. And the had to wait until afternoon again for Amercan Idol.

And of course that big stupid hat is still there. Take that stupid hat and put it on the Chinese Theater or something to make room. They then put a stage in front of that and now blast music that's not even Disney music that is so obnoxious. I don't need to hear Justin Beeber at Disney.

I will just stick with the other parks until whoever is in charge of this specific park gets it right.

rct247

Completely agree. Disney's Hollywood Studios started going down hill when the big hat came to town. I visited today and wasn't really digging how much Frozen is thrown in your face. Star Wars gets away with it which such a large catalog of characters, places, and stories, but Frozen is just one story with just a few characters and a few hit songs. The Citizens of Hollywood are out less and less. The Chinese Theater is blocked by an ugly hat which is blocked by an ugly stage. Streets of America is stuck in 1989 and it hardly believable as a real city street or a working set. Pathways are congested and confusing. Parking today was even a little messy. You had Mulch, Sweat, and Shears re-themed as the IceMen with Norweigian-esque names to tie in with Frozen playing 80s songs on a 1930s Hollywood Blvd.

DHS needs a California Adventure makeover x 2 to redo parking, expand the park, give it an better identity, create a less awkward layout, create more defined lands with rich storytelling, with updated attractions, but still flexible space for new and exciting things to come.

disney4life2008

The Frozen overlay at HS reminds me of the Pixar takeover at HS back some years ago. I remember the Pixar Parade and all the characters being out in full force at HS - but there was no signs of Mickey and gang. I can deal with Frozen but I agree that this is out of hand. However, Disney is making a pretty penny off people now because of the popularity of Frozen so I expect it will get worse before better. As for the attractions - HS is my least favorite park - I can honestly see Fantasmic!, Beauty and the Beast, Mermaid, Great Movie Ride, Star Tours and ToT and be done. Lights Motor is terrible in that hot sun. HS used to be one of my favorite parks but it has been a sharp decline in recent years. As the above poster said - it needs a 3 billion makeover like DCA. But they are putting in tape measures as fillers - i.e. Frozen overlay.

worldfanatic

I'll be skipping DHS on my 12 night WDW trip this September.
I'm not trying to make any kind of statement to Disney by not visiting.
I just simply would rather do other things with my time in the World.

I'm usually pretty positive about most things inside the bubble, and tend to trust Disney will make the right moves.
But it hard to defend the state of the Studios right now. It blows.
They'd better make that Star Wars Land announcement pretty soon.

tigger1968

I too have found I spend less time there with each new trip. I am really hoping that this park gets some desperately needed attention to make it a more vibrant and attractive park. I'm of course talking something deeper and longer lasting than the current Frozen madness. And yes, I'm one of the many that thinks the first order of business is to yank the BAH and that stage and such out of there....:rolleyes:

DisneyPrincess5

This is your first post ever? How unique.

My husband and I love DHS and we handle it very strategically. We enjoy most of the rides and shows and we repeat them. Always have a sit down meal also. To each his or her own. It definitely could be built up, especially at Pixar Place which only has one attraction. It needs another Pixar attraction for sure.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
This is your first post ever? How unique.

My husband and I love DHS and we handle it very strategically. We enjoy most of the rides and shows and we repeat them. Always have a sit down meal also. To each his or her own. It definitely could be built up, especially at Pixar Place which only has one attraction. It needs another Pixar attraction for sure.

A sit down meal in the studios? To each their own indeed.

LaunchPadMcQuack

I would definitely like to see some significant upgrades to HS.

I still feel it is worth visiting, especially if you have a park hopper. Visit on a day when they have the extra magic hour in the morning, do TSMM, Star Tours, Aerosmith and Tower of Terror, then have lunch at the Sci-Fi. Then use your park hopper to spend the rest of your day at another park.

Metilinos

I have heard that the whole "Frozen Summer" thing is bringing large crowds there, so I can see how it's frustrating. I loved the movie, but I haven't seen it in a few months. Kudos to them for a job well done.

I don't think this park is worth a skip though. When my girlfriend and I go, we usually hit Tower of Terror, Rock'N Rollercoaster, Star Tours and The Great Movie Ride. We did go to Toy Story Mania this time but I think it's worth a skip this time around. Long wait times for an interactive (mostly game) ride that I know I've got a greater edge at that's mildly enjoyable for us both. But I don't think the park is worth skipping for the negative attention.

Agreeable that it's not an "all-day" park, but to me I could only really spend all day at Magic Kingdom and possibly Epcot so.

MikeTaylorSound

Checking the time stamps on our photos...
Here was our day at DHS this year:
5:30PM - arrive at Park
5:40PM - get photo pass pics
6:45PM - look through shops
7:05PM - ride ToT
7:25PM - ride RnRc
8:05PM - eat Pizza Planet
8:45PM - ride Star Tours
9:35PM - ride TSMM
9:50PM - tried to get food at Fairfax Fare took 20 minutes to reach counter, but 75% of the menu was sold out.
10:30PM - Fantasmic!
11:25PM - resort bus leaves as we run up
11:45PM - ride bus back to POP

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I suggest those of you that really want to see a change do the same.
7ce16.jpg

Why, dont you like my Mandela approved shirt?

sjhym333

It is a park without a cohesive theme. It needs someone in Imagineering who can give it some overall focus and make some changes. My hope is that when Disney decides to do the Star Wars area it will use the time to unify the park under a better artistic umbrella

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom