West Side Parking Garage construction

NeXuS1000

Even better. :)

No, wait, I remembered it wrong... here's some concepts showing the theming:

It is considerably different. That is a bare concert structure with some planters.

The DTD structure will be fully covered and painted, have large hurricane shutters to go along with the old Florida theme and full landscaping.

DatelineDisneyWorld06012014-_DSC5225.jpg

disney-springs_Full_20468.jpg;width=640

jt04

So is the plan for the facades just to be alternating horizontal and vertical slats?

Not bad, should at least provide some shade. Fairly simple but it beats what I originally figured they would install as a facade, which would be nothing.

They will be adding plants and such.

The days of major cuts after something is green-lit are largely gone. More and more the final product matches the concept art. Especially if not leaked unofficially.

This isn't the 1990's anymore.

jt04

West side Parking Garage photo update as of Saturday, Sept. 13, 2014. Following two pictures taken from behind Disney Quest. More detail on outside of structure, and ramps extended.

View attachment 65652

View attachment 65653

An escalator in position inside the garage before installation.

View attachment 65654

Following pictures taken between Planet Hollywood and AMC Dine-in movie theater. Main pedestrian entrance/exit to garage taking shape. In last two pictures, note elevator bank to the right with 4 elevator shafts.

View attachment 65657

View attachment 65658

View attachment 65660

Definitely looks as though they are installing a covered walk from the garages to the AMC. Fingers crossed as that would be a great add.

roj2323

The model shows the elevator building that we see being built in the photos, but no covered walkway.

I think he might be referring to the huge pile of vertical rebar just after the wall in this photo:
img_2962-jpg.65654

I think he has a point. If you look at the garage itself the second floor doesn't have the safety wall on the right side and yet there is a 2x4 temporary railing in that location as well as scaffolding below implying they were pouring concrete (or getting ready to pour) in the area and needed to support it. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to eliminate (limit) public access to the roadway below to make it faster for traffic and safer for guests.

jt04

I think he might be referring to the huge pile of vertical rebar just after the wall in this photo:
img_2962-jpg.65654

I think he has a point. If you look at the garage itself the second floor doesn't have the safety wall on the right side and yet there is a 2x4 temporary railing in that location as well as scaffolding below implying they were pouring concrete (or getting ready to pour) in the area and needed to support it. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to eliminate (limit) public access to the roadway below to make it faster for traffic and safer for guests.

Exactly. And the other parking garage is designed to provide access without crossing any traffic lanes. Time will tell but the entire design is people friendly. Even the new pedestrian bridge across the highway.

mm121

from some of the initial drawings, i belive there is no roadway between the garage and the west side once the construction is complete

as the roads feed into the parking structure directly and/or the new central bus stop

the lack of railing is most likely for some type of ramp for vehicles rather than pedestrian access

from the concept drawings it seems as most of the access for pedestrians into and out of the garage is mostly towards the north end, where the new bus stop/ gateway is located

roj2323

from some of the initial drawings, i belive there is no roadway between the garage and the west side once the construction is complete

as the roads feed into the parking structure directly and/or the new central bus stop

the lack of railing is most likely for some type of ramp for vehicles rather than pedestrian access

from the concept drawings it seems as most of the access for pedestrians into and out of the garage is mostly towards the north end, where the new bus stop/ gateway is located
The road will be for deliveries and utility access. It may not be public but it will be there.
this is also likely why the first floor of the garage has a much higher clearance than the rest of the floors so semis and other delivery trucks can turn around and be parked if needed. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking the first floor have limited public access.

mm121

The road will be for deliveries and utility access. It may not be public but it will be there.
this is also likely why the first floor of the garage has a much higher clearance than the rest of the floors so semis and other delivery trucks can turn around and be parked if needed. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking the first floor have limited public access.

This level will definitely have public access, this level will in all logic be designated for busses, rv, any vehicles people drive that are too big and unwheildy to drive up and down the ramp system. Too, Tall, With Trailers, Etc.

at universal they had a tad more land so rather than making the first floor of the garage taller, there is a road behind the garages for these types of vehicles. There may not be tons of them, but its still important to create an allowance for them.

mm121

You mean THAT covered walkway?View attachment 66315

will be nice to see how this all works when its done, since its a bit hard to visualize, though this walkway doesn't connect where i initially thought it was going to from the concept art.

Photo update as of Saturday, Sept 20, 2014. An escalator has been installed in the parking garage.

View attachment 66392

Its hard to visualize how all these pathways escalators etc are being layed out to seperate pedestian and vehicle traffic inside the garage.

I'm not sure where this second picture was taken from, but judging from the lack of concrete railing looks like they intend to make a secondary direct access crossing above the road, down into this "alley" on the westside. which would definitely be a good thing, as it would be highly annoying to have to walk from the west side of the garage, to the middle to go down to the ground level at the gateway by the planet hollywood, and then have to walk all the way back to say cirque du soleil/ DQ

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You mean THAT covered walkway?View attachment 66315

The structure in the picture is roughly where the red box is. I wonder if they are going to re-route the access road between that structure and the garage. The new structure clearly has elevator shafts from the second level to the ground, so there piece connecting to the garage will be a raised walkway. If they run the road under the walkway that would clear a path for a covered walkway all the way over to the shops.

Capture.JPG

mm121

The structure in the picture is roughly where the red box is. I wonder if they are going to re-route the access road between that structure and the garage. The new structure clearly has elevator shafts from the second level to the ground, so there piece connecting to the garage will be a raised walkway. If they run the road under the walkway that would clear a path for a covered walkway all the way over to the shops.

View attachment 66439

This map supports this, move of the access road, and directing pedestrian traffic down into "The Gateway"

Anyone have satellite pics of DD from the pleasure island days? or prior to the beginning of the DS conversion?

w2O9Jb2.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Just looked at the parking garage facade photos. Yep, as ugly as I thought they'd be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom