Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The fascinating part about @GoofGoof 's post it that aside from the notification that the BLT is closing, nothing has been officially announced about anything taking its place, and I can already sense the tenor of this thread turning.

I'm sharpening my pitchfork right now:devilish: Disney really has nobody to blame but themselves for the lack of faith. They need to pleasantly surprise us a few times before that knee jerk reaction fades away. I do think if there is at least 1 dark ride included most people will be satisfied. There are some who will never, ever be happy.

What's great is this news is less than 24hrs old and there's already some sides being formed. When they finally announce an expansion of Pixar Place with no actual details we will still have 3 years of arguments to look forward to during construction:eek:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There should still be at least one great E Ticket to anchor the whole land. Would make the playland more acceptable if we got at least one grown up ride.

Agreed, but for me it could be a pair of solid D's too (I lobbed that one up for someone;)). Not unlike FLE with LM and Mine Train.

Whether it's one E or 2 D/C tickets that anchor the new area, the headliners need to be family friendly with little or no height restriction.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd say its capacity is much more than that. I bet one tram fits at least 200 and multiple go out an hour. I've rarely ever been able to just walk on. Minimum of 20 min wait

That has more to do with the pulse loading the attraction uses due to the water effects show. It doesn't continuously load

Goofyernmost

Amazing that so many of you are thrilled that they closed something. Wow, they may be putting in your dream expansion. Whether it is Cars Land, Pixar, Star Wars or whatever else you want Personally, I'm a realist. I'll believe they are going to put in something new when they actually start construction. In the meantime there is one less attraction even though it was a mere shadow of its original self.
It's not a matter of being "thrilled" that they are closing it. It is more of anticipation of the possibilities of what could go there. Backlot died a long time ago. I believe that I stated earlier this year when they first announced that it would be shutting down for refurb, that people should see it now, because if they shut it down, it will never reopen. It is a huge waste of space and only kept running because they didn't know what to do with Catastrophe Canyon and what little else there was to do in DHS. If what WDW1974 said about the idea that the name of the park is going to change as well, obviously to take away the need to theme in any specific way, there really was no logic in keeping it.

I had a lot of fun with that ride over the years. If I happened to be sitting with a family that hadn't been on it before, I always, very graciously allowed them to sit on the left side of the tram because they could see things better. After all I had ridden it hundreds of times. They were always very grateful until we got to CC. At which time, others around us would turn and congratulate me for directing them to the "wet" spot on the tram. They laughed too, it was all in fun. Anyway, those days are gone and it is time to bury that particular attraction and put other things in that relatively large space.

They have reached the point with DHS that if it wasn't for ToT and RcRC they might just as well close the entire park and make it a parking lot. What else is there to close that they haven't done already.

I also think that, even though they will never admit it, they are feeling a little guilty about the 2 billion (give or take) spent on MM+ and might find that for the purposes of PR, they might need to spend a chunk of change on something for visitors to do.

Agree..worst food ever!
I did agree that the food at ABC was like it came from another planet. How could it be so much worse then the rest of the stuff at WDW. But it was and I avoided the place with all my heart. Then I went with someone that wanted to go there. In spite of my begging to not do so, we went. I decided to have the Asian Salad that they offered and to my shock and surprise, it was great. Perhaps they did something to change things or maybe just the salad is good. I now go back there, but, have only had the salad.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So is "Lights, Motors, Action" next? I don't see how area of the Studio Backlot Tour could be used for much of anything by itself

Disney_studio_backlot_tour.jpg
It's gotta go too to make this work. Since construction is not likely to ramp up until next year anyway maybe they plan to keep the show open as long as possible and start with demo in other places.

Mike S

Agreed, but for me it could be a pair of solid D's too (I lobbed that one up for someone;)). Not unlike FLE with LM and Mine Train.

Whether it's one E or 2 D/C tickets that anchor the new area, the headliners need to be family friendly with little or no height restriction.
If that's the case we will definitely have a riot on our hands.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If that's the case we will definitely have a riot on our hands.

You are setting yourself up for major disappointment if you think this project will be significantly bigger than FLE. I don't have any idea what they are going to build, but I can almost guarantee it will cost significantly less than FLE unless they are really dumping the Star Wars plans and going with this instead. I hope that's not the case. My guess is this will be an addition to add capacity and help round out the park in anticipation of building Star Wars Land.

Goofyernmost

So is "Lights, Motors, Action" next? I don't see how area of the Studio Backlot Tour could be used for much of anything by itself

Disney_studio_backlot_tour.jpg
Two things!

First, look at the area to the left of where the wording of "Studio Backlot Tour" is and above where Catastrophe Canyon presently sits. It's a pond (which can be moved) storage buildings, parking lot and other not revenue producing junk. That alone doubles the area available.

Second, they are already or have already set plans to change the entrance to the park to the far right of this picture. In other words the current access road and beyond can also be used for expansion. Yea, I know, wetlands, blah, blah, blah. Well, Disney gave them, Disney can taketh away. That creates another large parcel that can be used for expansion. In my mind, it was always the most logical area to do stuff in when redoing DHS.

What they will put there is anybodies guess at this point. Probably a couple of spinners, a pin shop and a DVC sales booth, but, they can do a lot with the place if they decide to and do it without taking out anymore attractions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Still no news on what's coming, right? I don't care what replaces backlot tour as long as it's not Frozen. I'm a little overwhelmed with Frozen right now.
Right now Frozen is the only thing confirmed. From Page 1 of the thread:
A portion of the Studio Backlot Tour will be used to extend the magic of “Frozen” during this holiday season, which we previously announced. One of the most popular elements of Frozen Summer Fun, Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post, will be relocating to the Streets of America spot and will continue to operate closer to the popular “For the First Time in Forever: A ‘Frozen’ Sing-Along Celebration.”

We are working on other developments for that area, as well, and we look forward to sharing more details at a later date.

Don't worry it's only temporary...or so they say:confused:

Mike S

You are setting yourself up for major disappointment if you think this project will be significantly bigger than FLE. I don't have any idea what they are going to build, but I can almost guarantee it will cost significantly less than FLE unless they are really dumping the Star Wars plans and going with this instead. I hope that's not the case. My guess is this will be an addition to add capacity and help round out the park in anticipation of building Star Wars Land.
I'm just saying with the amount land available it should be something great. Then again great costs money and isn't cheap so maybe I should lower my expectations considering where the budget will be coming from. Bring on the carnival flat rides :rolleyes:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm just saying with the amount land available it should be something great. Then again great costs money and isn't cheap so maybe I should lower my expectations considering where the budget will be coming from. Bring on the carnival flat rides :rolleyes:
That's more like it. If you set your expectations low enough you could even be pleasantly surprised.

I would love if this turned out to be something really great, but I'm just keeping it real. I don't see them spending a boat load on Pixar expansion and then spending another boat load on SW too. If I had to guess I would say they are going to hold back the big chunk of money for SW.

Mike S

That's more like it. If you set your expectations low enough you could even be pleasantly surprised.

I would love if this turned out to be something really great, but I'm just keeping it real. I don't see them spending a boat load on Pixar expansion and then spending another boat load on SW too. If I had to guess I would say they are going to hold back the big chunk of money for SW.
Star Wars better have an incredible show stopping E Ticket then. Or else ;)

YodaMan

Two things!

First, look at the area to the left of where the wording of "Studio Backlot Tour" is and above where Catastrophe Canyon presently sits. It's a pond (which can be moved) storage buildings, parking lot and other not revenue producing junk. That alone doubles the area available.

Second, they are already or have already set plans to change the entrance to the park to the far right of this picture. In other words the current access road and beyond can also be used for expansion. Yea, I know, wetlands, blah, blah, blah. Well, Disney gave them, Disney can taketh away. That creates another large parcel that can be used for expansion. In my mind, it was always the most logical area to do stuff in when redoing DHS.

What they will put there is anybodies guess at this point. Probably a couple of spinners, a pin shop and a DVC sales booth, but, they can do a lot with the place if they decide to and do it without taking out anymore attractions.

While I agree with most of what you're saying, I do want to point out that that photo seems to be slightly outdated. I could be totally wrong, but I think the "parking lot" in that photo is actually used by LMA now for training/storage etc. Still a lot of other things that could be demo'd, but if LMA stays then I think that lot has to either stay or be relocated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom