Tamron 70-300mm?

Dragion

Too long for majority of the parks...except for Animal Kingdom.
Are you asking is it good for shooting @ WDW or question regarding the lens itself?

Dragion

I wish I could be more help, but I don't have any experience with the Tamron...I used Nikon's 70-300mm.
From what I have researched, the Tamron is a bit slow AF on action/movement, but pretty sharp with stills...even better than Canon's version. Build quality is also better.
Tracking birds might be a bit of work and water sports probably isn't ideal...doesn't mean it can't be done though.
For the price...it is an excellent lens.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I have had Tamron in the past. Very slow AF was the main issue, making it not very useful for moving subjects.

I wouldn't buy another.

PhotoDave219

It`ll be on a Canon 70D. Any thoughts?

I have had Tamron in the past. Very slow AF was the main issue, making it not very useful for moving subjects.

I wouldn't buy another.

I would stick to the Canon version. As for the focal length? Good range for a walk-around and especially at DAK/Safari. But keep in mind, it has its limitations. Its not a professional sports/wildlife lens.

Can I suggest finding a place that will rent you one to try out before you purchase?

BigRedDad

I had this lens and it was mediocre at best. It covered the gambit of distances, but performed poorly compared to other lenses at any focal length. I would get the Canon 70-200mm F4. Much better lense and a lot cheaper than the F2.8.

bq69

For what it is worth, I took my Nikon 70-300. Never used it. Stayed in the hotel room the entire time. Just really no need, except what was mentioned above, at Animal Kingdon. My wife and I go to many a zoo's anyway, so I really did not see a need to bring that lens to the park. Ideally I would love to have a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 for Fantasmic, but for the same reasons listed above, the lens is just too big to lug around all day. I just spent 10 days there. I have a Nikon D5100 body and took my Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5 and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art. I got 90% of all the shots I needed with those 2 lenses. Of course there will always be exceptions. Just my 2 cents.

KeithVH

If you really need that reach in that price range, get this. The IS is good for two stops. KEH is VERY reliable. Yes, it's used but it's a fair deal. As noted, the Tamron will focus slower. In that price range, for that focal length, I don't think you'll find a better deal.

But, also, as noted, it's not the length but the field of view that is an issue for the parks. It's just too narrow. At a kids soccer game, it's another story. I would say, for in the parks, including AK, the wider the better. Except for the Safari, the sight lines in most locations just don't lend themselves to anything telephoto. Even in the truck, bouncing around, longer focal lengths really accentuate any camera movement resulting in unsharp shots. Plus you lose a lot of context zoomed in on the animals that close.

Just my 2¢

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
I picked up the Tamron used for a great price. I`m having some fun with it and I will take it to AK when I go. It`s pretty decent for what I paid for it. I am not going to be able to swing the money for what I really want before the trip (70 days) so I think this may have to do. If I`m really not happy with it by then, then I may just have to rent a good one. As it stands my line-up for the trip is:

Canon 70D body
Sigma 18-35 1.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Tokina 11-16 2.8
Tamron 70-300 4-5.6
Flipside 300 back pack
MeFoto "Roadtrip" Tripod

PhotoDave219

I picked up the Tamron used for a great price. I`m having some fun with it and I will take it to AK when I go. It`s pretty decent for what I paid for it. I am not going to be able to swing the money for what I really want before the trip (70 days) so I think this may have to do. If I`m really not happy with it by then, then I may just have to rent a good one. As it stands my line-up for the trip is:

Canon 70D body
Sigma 18-35 1.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Tokina 11-16 2.8
Tamron 70-300 4-5.6
Flipside 300 back pack
MeFoto "Roadtrip" Tripod

Well have fun. And let us know about any issues with security ... with the next tripod restrictions and all.

ArtificialArtist

I bought the Tamron from second hand as well, i don't use it very often. It has a 1:4-5,6 and therefore it only works well in broad daylight or for well-lit motives. I use it with EF mount, a 5D mark II. It tends to leave significant vignetting at the frame borders. AND it's heavy.
I use it for filming more often than for photos, sometimes with an extender to get to 600mm and mostly for nature or animal ambience. I have to say, for most situations like these i tend to use a Sigma 70-200 with a 2.0x extender.
The results are similar (up to 400mm only, of course, plus a penalty on light sensitivity due to the extender), i still prefer the smoothness of the blurring. With both lenses, it takes some practice to get good results.
Also, the Sigma weighs about a third of what the Tamron weighs. SO, the Tamron is an ok lens to use when you don't have to carry it around much.
Does the 70D have a EF or EF-s mount?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom